LGFA WC / TC Discussion - Was lack of defense to blame?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming FIFA Association (Discontinued)' started by Bottomless Pit, Jul 27, 2016.

?

IF organized/structured TRAINING focused on Defense was available - would you attend/coach/switch ?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2016.
  1. Yes, I would like to be coached.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, I would like to coach others.

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Yes, I would change my primary position to LB/RB or CB.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, I would change my secondary positionto LB/RB or CB.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, I'm not good enough to coach.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. No, I wouldn't want to be coached by anyone in LGFA.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. No, I wouldn't change my primary position.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. No, I wouldn't change my secondary position.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bottomless Pit

Bottomless Pit I'm all about defense & shutting down the offense.

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9
    With the round of 16 over, I wanted to start this discussion and draw some attention to this topic. Guys - please stay away from blaming the MID - Offense - or Goalie (even if that may be the case).

Try and stay on topic and talk about the quality and quantity of Defensive players ONLY. I am currently running things in PA (until the election determines that for S7) - and I'd like to get the ball rolling (along with a continuation of the TC Games) to develop our defense - and to try and bring more quality defensive players to LGFA.

With that said - spill your guts - bring it out...the good, the bad, the ugly. Feel free to post clips. I WANT LGFA TO BE ABLE TO BOAST ABOUT OUR DEFENSIVE SKILLS in future seasons.

Bp

• Like Like x 1
    Bottomless_Pit
  2. RAWness l13l

RAWness l13l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -4
    FIFA Pro Clubs: Defense for All Positions, Based on 4-4-2

Outside Backs

Ball On Your Side

1. Contain until you have help from an outside midfielder
    2. Always force them to the outside until there is help
    Ball on Backside

1. Pinch in close to your CB
    2. If the ball gets cut into the middle, be ready for a cross
    Ball in the Middle

1. Keep your shape and stay close to your mark
    Corner Kicks

1. Front & Back post must be covered, and covered until the ball is ABSOLUTELY out of danger

Center Backs

Counter Attacks

1. Contain/Pressuring
      1. If there is no defensive midfielder by the time the ball reaches the attacking half, be ready to take the initiative to step up and slow the attack
      2. If there is a defensive midfielder, keep your shape and watch for a through ball
    2. Holding the Line
      1. If the ball is continuing forward by the opposition, back pedal to buy time(trust your midfielders)
      2. If the ball is slowed down after a pass, pull up the line as much as you can to prevent a through ball. If the team is compact, this shouldn’t be a problem
    Corner Kicks

1. Finding and marking the tallest players, usually back or front post

Defensive Midfielder

Ball In Attacking Third

1. Be in the same distance between your CBs as your Midfield
    Ball In Middle Third

1. Never get caught too wide, unless you know you have help from an outside midfielder who can cover for you
    2. Step up to a player and contain them if your team gets caught on a counter attack
    Ball In Defensive Third

1. Stay in a defensive triangle with your outside back and your outside midfielder, trust that your backside midfielder is pinching in to cover the middle

Outside Midfielders

Ball In Attacking Third

1. Mark the outside midfielder and keep your shape
    Ball In Middle Third

1. Always pinch in if the ball is on your opposite side
    2. Otherwise, continue to mark and keep your shape
    Ball in Defensive Third

1. Watch the cut back into the middle, trust that your outside back will do his job with containing down line

Attacking Midfielder (CAM)

1. Hustle and try to force the ball backwards or to the outside
    2. Close down space in the middle third
    3. Hustle from side to side if the ball gets switched

Forwards

1. Hustle and try to force the ball backwards or to the outside

Conclusion

1. You always want to be aware of the team’s shape.
    2. If you need to cover for another teammate, you’ll need to understand their defensive duties until you can get your team shape back, especially on overlapping plays.
    3. Containing can buy your midfield some time to hustle back to help.
    4. Obviously, when in doubt, clear it out.

I hope you guys find this beneficial. Theres probably some things in here that can be changed or added but these are just come general tips I can give to those who are struggling with defending.

I think that no matter whatever position you play in, you should be defending. It helps the team be effective in any part of the pitch. If you can win the ball up top by knowing how to pressure, you’ll most likely find yourself in a 2 v 1 or 1 v 1 situation for your team. If you can win the ball in the middle third by closing down the play or forcing a clearance, theres less stress and work for your defense. And obviously as a defender, that’s what your team has paid you to do.

I find myself having my best games when the rest of my team understands how to play defense!

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  3. Bottomless Pit

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9
    CDM , LCDM , RCDM ...to a lesser degree, RM, LM

...what am I talking about? The midfield is important. A week midfield means more work for the defense, a strong midfield means more opportunites for the offense.

What do good mids look like in general?

A key part of the defensive strategy is working with the mids that are near you. They are the transition, the bridge, the window to moving the ball up. They speed up the pace of the game or slow it down. Build up the play or transition your team from defense to offense. In the offensive third, they should be covering or in position to recover the ball - maintain posession, move the ball around - create gaps - spread out the opponent, create opportunities.

What do weak or poor mids look like in general?

Poor mids put defensive players in bad positions. They cause the moment to stop resulting in confusion. This often leads to attempts at longer passes, more crosses, the infamous LB + Y, opportunities for the offense, turnovers, crowd the strikers/forwards. These are most notable as positioning and coverage (man marking) worsens - generally it increases in defensive difficulty.

What part do defenders play in offense?

Free kicks from beyond the offensive 3rd will likely be placed by a CB.
    Any kind of free kick with potential for a goal - will likely mean the CBs will be in or near the box. This includes corners.
    Being able to react and contain from rebounds, attempts at counters - are either stopped by the defense....or can even lead to shot/goal opportunities by a defender.
    Crowding in the box will often -almost guaranteed- lead to the ball coming out somewhere between the half circle and top of the box. Accurate long shots or ball movement / possession are key at these times.

What does this all mean to defenders?

Knowing when to pass the ball back to the keeper, when to cross, when to work it up the wing, back in the middle, go for the LB+Y run pass to the striker, choose the driven pass, Y ball, A ball, double-tap, triple tap OR of course .......just clear it, tackle...etc.

These decisions / strategies of course differ as formations deviate between teams and players. Playing a 3-back is very different from playing a 4-back. Same is true of playing against weak forwards vs a 1 man skilled attacker that draws 4 to 5 players whom still don't end up with the turnover.

Alot of people think Defense is boring, requires no talent or skill. But if you think putting together the dynamite attackers each capable of the golden boot is difficult or exciting......try putting together a brick wall that never fails even if up against that dynamic duo.

Who is Defense for?

Those who get a kick out of making an amazing offense look like a joke by shutting them down.
    If you like to be the starting point of counters - this is for you.
    If you are frustrated or would like to help your GK - this is for you.
    If you want to be part of the engine that keeps the ball in the offensive 3rd - this is for you.
    Those who aren't getting a chance at offense as much as they like...could benefit.
    Anyone sick of week defenses causing teams (even if not your own) to fall apart.

Please feel free to comment and give your opinions about all of this in general - or the impact defense has had on the results of the LGWC.

• Like Like x 2
    Bottomless_Pit
  4. TIMBORULES

TIMBORULES Are you about that Fifa life?

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -10
    Offense win games
    Defense win championships
    Having having 2 cbs that have chemistry is key. Communication is key. As a striker in 11 vs 11 staying in your position were the formation dictates is valuable so your team has an outlet...but coming back especially on wings helps the team also as it puts pressure on the opponent...if a team plays together and keep their shape you see that we all need to have defensive in mind in order to win or not lose. Teams being on same page n keeping shape helps both offense and defensive...

No Streaming Account
  5. Trae x8

Trae x8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trae#0
    Ratings:
    +469 / 37 / -87
    i could easily coach people for CB. The single biggest problem, is that we have too many teams for the number of players. The majority of people that started playing def in the VPN did it because it was the fastest way to get on a team and also the fastest way to be a good d1 player

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Bottomless Pit

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9
    While some agree and others disagree on this point - it is noted numbers and league size does play a part. However, lets leave the pollitics and league management out of this conversation as much as possible and zero in on as much we can relating to improving the quality of our defensive players that we do have.....and what we can do on our own to improving it.

Bottomless_Pit
  7. Bottomless Pit

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9
    Anyone wanting to be coached at defense, or wanting to coach players at defense ...please send me a conversation separate from this thread. Perhaps we'll start with 1 on 1's. 1 player, multiple coaches (if needed). As this grows and there's more interest, more success out of it...we'll increase the number of players we coach at the same time...but for now - we want to grow some superstar defensive players. Let me know who's interested.

• Like Like x 1
    Bottomless_Pit
  8. Trae x8

Trae x8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trae#0
    Ratings:
    +469 / 37 / -87
    Short list of Tips to remember for CB

-Always watch where your player is through the minimap when your team has the ball. Make sure you are in a position to defend if your team loses it and you get countered. When you come up to midfield just stand on the center line. People can and will be onsides if they are behind you but still in front of that line. Super simple way to help yourself prevent counters.

-When defending corners set up with one cb front post one cb back post. Dont actually mark a player. Just stand near the corner of the 6. If you are tight on a mark and they cut to the net when its kicked, you will get beat. Most teams will play it front post or back post so you want to already be there when they do it. Let your teammates mark a man. Your big ass forehead should be where they are most likely to play it

-If you are going up for a contested header, using clear rather than 'a' will win the header much more often. I personally only use A when i know im winning it.

-Constantly be looking for people making runs for through balls. Dont try and get fancy and put them offsides, because if they time it right they will be in on goal. Run with them so if the pass is played you will be the one to get it. The only time you try to put them offside is when they are far enough forward that you stepping up quick will put them offsides because they will be behind your entire D line.

-#1 most important aspect of getting better: Play often. The only way to improve your game is to actually go out there and play. But if you go out there with a mindset of playing just to play, you are cheating yourself out of getting better. Every time you get scored on or make a mistake, mentally take note of what happened and what you could do the next time that happens. Focus on your game and what you personally can do to be a better player. If you constantly complain about your teammates and how its always their fault you arent going to improve. There is usually something you could be doing to cover for your teammates mistakes and prevent a goal against.

Just a few things off the top of my head. These work as good talking points as well for anyone coaching someone

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. K inG x NeymaR

K inG x NeymaR Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +125 / 7 / -15
    Watch me play and take notes. That's all new players need to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Playing Conquest
    Neymar999qc
  10. Bottomless Pit

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9
    You're really not that difficult to defend against if you know what you're doing at defense....and execute well. That goes for ANY offense. Now...string together an offensive group...or a defensive line - and there's alot more options to defend against when you're on the pitch. But in order for a strong defense to dominate....each link in the chain has to be able to hold their own to either back each other up....or in case you're hung to dry.

All of a sudden - what each person on defense does becomes critical in the game. Wheras on offense - you count on being given multiple opportunities to shoot. There aren't many - if any - LG teams that can create opportunities out of nothing / a solid defensive team.

...this is the stalemate and seasaw equilibrium I'm looking to bring to LGFA ...even tip it over to be stronger on defense if possible. With FIFA 17 coming soon - I want to string together some solid coaches to stabalize our player base.

...just imagine...teams that would struggle and fold because they can't score - sticking around because their defense can keep them in the game and keep things interesting. Yes, you will have to go for your accomplishments. Yes, you will need to increase your attributes. Yes, you will still want to get your offensive attributes too (but moreso focus on your defense). But to get all those...you will need to know how to get them. I want to have a group of guys ready to help.

• Like Like x 1
    Bottomless_Pit
  11. K inG x NeymaR

Ratings:
    +125 / 7 / -15
    ''You're really not that difficult to defend against if you know what you're doing at defense....and execute well'' or.jpg Get on my level.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Playing Conquest
    Neymar999qc
  12. Bottomless Pit

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9

Lol. I didn't face you enough times to stop you. But I already am on your level.

Bottomless_Pit
  13. K inG x NeymaR

Ratings:
    +125 / 7 / -15
    "I already am on your level" You are winning the joke competition for the gm spot actually.

Playing Conquest
    Neymar999qc
  14. PineapplePotPie

PineapplePotPie back from the dead

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -2
    Something I've learned, and applies for all positions:

When going for a header, spam the living hell out of LT, and learn to time your headers. Doing the LT bash will allow to put your player in a better position to win the ball, + pushing the other player away. Learning to time it well only increases the chance of winning the header.

manlikeppp
  15. Bottomless Pit

Discord:
    BottomlessPit#0959
    Ratings:
    +260 / 15 / -9
    ...having your jumping attributes up help too....plus regardless of which button you press, the longer you hold it the bigger the jump - but it is always best to use B / red for header clearances. Careful though - time it wrong or if they win it....that will be a tackle attempt in the box....and if your attributes aren't up, then that will turn in to a red card.

Also - RB. RB is the saving grace for a defender and I don't know why the rest of the FIFA (defensive) community seems to be oblivious to it....but it's intended for pressuring and bodying a player...at times it will be used also for pulling the jersey etc. The point is that it helps with your positioning and pressuring. It will help with interceptions, blocks and turnovers. Learn to use the buttons in the right sequences and with the right timing and you will become a force to be wreckened with.

#makeDefensegreatagain, #makethemworkfortheirGoldenBoot

Bottomless_Pit
  16. ll xFuryx II

ll xFuryx II Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 3 / -2
    Dont get caught ball watching.... It helps a lot. People get lost in the backfield watching their team on the attack

No Streaming Account
  17. ARBRN INFANTRY

ARBRN INFANTRY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I never played defense until my first season in lg (last season). I have captained in other leagues for NHL and know the value of guys that are willing to play multi positions that's why I said I could play all spots. If other players would just be willing to try defense that would help out with the numbers things for the league. I'm still new so no way I could give any tip except find out who the more experienced guys are at CB and tall them and get games with them. I played with rusty last season and that helped me a lot plus having Bauer in net was always nicell

No Streaming Account
  18. Killersquirelz

Killersquirelz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 3 / -4
    This. All of this. Read it and pay attention to it, because this is the best advice for CB's in this entire thread so far. I'm going to elaborate and add a few of my own, but always pay attention to what the proven CB's have to say. (inb4 'Trae sucks and you suck')

Seriously, don't get fancy with offsides. I can guarantee you will not find a defense in LGFA that is coordinated enough to get all four in the backline to pull a simultaneous offside trap. Just don't even try, because if you fail, you've just left someone wide open.

Know when to slide tackle. Follows the same principle as offsides. When it works, great, but when you mess it up, you're worthless for the rest of that play. The only times I really might risk it is for a run up the wing, but even then when you start playing good players, they're going to know how to stop/cut/skill away from your slide.

Don't watch the goalie on the opposing goal kick. Square up with one of the strikers so you can win the ball with a header, especially if they're just kicking it straight ahead. It's a value to the team to put yourselves right back on offense.

Try to remember how various players like to play, and learn through the game. If their striker is constantly doing skill moves, adapt and be prepared for it. You should have a good feel for how the opposing offense moves by halftime. If you have a good enough memory, you can start to remember various players you face multiple times. When I have to defend against Thibeault, I know marking his headers will become important.

The last point Trae made is true for defenders, but I want to elaborate on the management side. Learn how to actually tell when a defender is good or bad. Learn how to tell who made the biggest mistake on defense when you get scored on. Sometimes it's painfully obvious, sometimes it's much harder to tell, and sometimes shit happens and everyone sucked. You can have one great defender, but surround him with three rookies and you're still going to get scored on frequently. It's too easy to fall into the trap of 'We got scored on, therefore the entire defense sucks'.

Defense is a thankless job, which is probably why so few people sign up for it. You rarely, if ever, get highlight plays. You don't get to be the prolific goalscorer with all the cool replays. Your ball control usually sucks so you don't get to be a flashy skill move champion. Shitty managers will usually blame you for all their woes even if you're constantly defending the entire game.

Yet, if you practice and get fairly decent at it, everyone wants you to play for them, and that's a pretty good feeling.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. M4CK EH

M4CK EH PIZZA MACHINE

Discord:
    m4ck_eh#0
    Ratings:
    +658 / 83 / -96
    If there wasn't 16 teams we would have competitive defense. If we have over 12 teams Atleast 2-4 teams fail leading to players who actually know what the fuck they are doing being on a team that doesn't play. I'm not voulenteering for another failed season where 4 fucking ~*~* owners draft bums because they have no knowledge of the draft class and are not qualified to run a team. Plus this league requires 3 times the amount of playing time than lghl. Teams are so horribly constructed you get guilt tripped into playing 8 games per week

• Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
  20. M4CK EH

M4CK EH PIZZA MACHINE

Discord:
    m4ck_eh#0
    Ratings:
    +658 / 83 / -96
    A GG from brisan :thinking:but RIP LGWC

• Get Good Get Good x 1