7 minute qtrs in Madden

Discussion in 'LG Madden Online Franchise' started by XBoxJon, Aug 14, 2004.

1. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :roll: Uh huh.

No Streaming Account
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Huh? You dont think people will get better on offense? Specifically against guys that dont play any manual D besides rushing the QB? Maybe not, the AI defense can do it all sometimes.

3. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, I'm saying to lump everyone into the same stereotype (who always start off controlling a DE). I've played that way for over a decade, and have always considered myself a very good player (haven't found anyone to argue that point, yet).

Just because we start off with the DE, doesn't mean we end up with him. I try to control the player closest to the ball at all times. Before the snap, that means controlling a defensive lineman. After that (and if I get blocked) then it's time to switch. IMO, the people that don't know how to rush the QB and learn swim/spin/etc moves with lineman to put pressure on the QB and HB aren't going to get any better on D. Anyone can sit back and play centerfield in the secondary. Half the time the ball isn't thrown to you anyway. Where is the skill in that.

Anyway, this is getting off topic again. This is a Madden thread, specifically about results from 5, 6, 7, 8? minute quarters and feedback from that.

Lets keep the fair play discussion in another thread too, that all has to be decided on as well.

No Streaming Account
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep,
    My point is on topic
    offense and scores will get better.

5. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Come back to reality Jon...

I'd be willing to bet you couldn't do it. Controlling a MLB is a lot more complex than just chasing around 1 WR or TE.

No Streaming Account
  6. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I control the LB's all of the time, just not usually right at the snap. As soon as the ball is released, I'm switching to a DB or LB to try for a batted ball or pick. Check the results of my game with Marauders (first one posted in this thread). I had 21 pass deflections. You don't get that from controlling the DE the whole play.

Anyway, this discussion is stupid and pointless. What player you control at the snap has absolutely nothing to do with how many minutes per qtr we should be using in Madden. Use whatever defender you're comfortable with and that you can play the best defense with, that's all.

No Streaming Account
  7. JayFro

JayFro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I probably couldn't play 7 minute quarters because my offensive numbers would be insane. I've been playing against a buddy of mine offline and I hit 300+ yards passing pretty much every game and my best was 525 yards in a 65-21 blowout. I don't run no huddle or cheese it up by going for it on 4th down unless it's a realistic situation.

I also can't allocate 90 minutes to play just one game, or count me out of a possible league if it's anything above 5 minute quarters. Can't wait for the final verdict on this whole Madden league! :D

No Streaming Account
  8. Rube Ranter

Rube Ranter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Jon has a point, I've torn a few people up dropping EJ Henderson back and just waiting for the pass...it can be done.

No Streaming Account
  9. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We'll probably have signups next weekend, but I can assure you that you'll need to allocate at least 90 minutes per game (plus time to enter stats). That's really not that much to ask, most of us get on for at least that long, but I don't want to twist any arms (although we are only talking about one game per week).

No Streaming Account
  10. JayFro

JayFro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I definitely understand why you guys are doing it the way you are and that's cool, I'll just have to find a different league to get involved with. No big deal. :D

No Streaming Account
  11. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just timed a 7 minute QTR game with Sports Junky and it lasted for 1:15 minutes.

12. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine vs nosice barely took an hour, if it even did, it was short as.

Also, did you get the stats e-mailed to you? If so, what did they look like? How many plays.

If you post them on here, put them inside the code tags:

[*code]INSERT HERE[*/code]

But of course, make sure you remove the * ;)

No Streaming Account
  13. Sports Junky

Sports Junky Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I didn't get the stats e-mail yet. I had an error that said "database Error" or something of that nature when signing out of the game. did you get that Marauders?

Also something Marauders noticed. It was raining to start the game, but at some point it stopped. when he mentioned it, I knew he was corrected because all the splashing stopped. just another fine detail but kinda neat. :)

No Streaming Account
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What?!

pls explain

15. IndigoVDub

IndigoVDub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My defense improved 5x when I switched to using the MLB. And going against the comment that it's easy, it isn't. MLB is the toughest spot to control because if you miss an assignment there is a good chance the other team will put up 6.

No Streaming Account
  16. Rube Ranter

Rube Ranter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run a QB spy or have my MLB in Zone, drop back, read the offense and make my move. I might stay in the middle, follow a WR or TE who I feel might get the pass or even blitz if I need to. Having some speedy LB's, Minnesota is pretty well set up for this.

No Streaming Account
  17. Sports Junky

Sports Junky Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, still no stats e-mailed. I'm afraid they're lost on my end. Perhaps Marauders will get them. I really liked 7 minute quarters though. I remember looking and I was able to get Westrook 33 rushes and there will still plenty of passes thrown also. Seems like a good quarter length to get the amount of plays real NFL games average.

No Streaming Account
  18. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got the database error too. I don't have it set up to email me yet, so I wouldn't get it anyway.

19. Mxracer23x

Mxracer23x Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally think that 7 minutes is way to long, 4 is to short so 5 or 6 would be good

No Streaming Account
  20. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are you basing your assessment on? The time that it takes to play a 7 minute/qtr game, or the amount of stats and plays run in a 7 minute/qtr game? If you didn't take the time to read through the whole thread, the latter is what is most important to us, no matter how long it takes to actually play it.

No Streaming Account