LGAHL Playoff preview Thread

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by Noobinator156, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noobinator156

Noobinator156 S17 Stanley Cup Champion

Ratings:
    +3,141 / 42 / -38
    LGAHL Playoff Preview & Predictions

The best time of the season is upon us as 16 teams get the chance to prove their mettle while competing for The Calder. Big thanks as usual go to the writers, who have done a great job this last couple of weeks and will continue to do so until a champion has emerged. Enjoy and good luck to all teams in the postseason.

Eastern Conference

(1) :t352:Providence Bruins (60-19-3, 123 PTS) vs. ( 8 ) :t351:Manchester Monarchs (41-31-10, 92 PTS) - Jay Rulez
    Season Series: Providence 7-1-0, 37 GF/12 GA in the series
    Providence
    When you finish the season as the top dawg in the league, there’s going to be a lot of strengths and very few weaknesses. Providence’s season was for the most part very dominating, save for a couple weeks in the middle, and they have a ton of momentum heading into the playoffs with a 17-2 record over their past 19 games. Lead by experienced managers @xX Z3NO Xx and @Couture l 39 l, the Bruins put up staggering offensive numbers (3rd most goals for) while maintaining a ridiculously hard-to-play-against team defense (fewest goals allowed). These guys are serious Calder Cup contenders

Depth Grades

FWD: [A].
    This offense is talented and it all starts with their Centres. The top faceoff team in the league relies on starting each play with puck possession, which bodes well offensively and defensively.

DEF: [A+]. @greg85w and @xxEVILMONKYxx are the clear cut pillars on this defense and they are downright nasty to play against. They anchored the best PK% in the league and don’t make many mistakes on the breakout.
    G: [A]. Zeno and @l MrLundqvist l are a dynamic duo in net who have found themselves amongst the league’s top goalies all year. They’re the last line on the best defensive team in the league so as long as they’re even just average, they will get the job done.

Players to Watch: FWD:
    @IG HangOver @TheReaper420247 DEF: @Animal Mup

Manchester
    Manchester had a very rocky season and most had counted them out when former AGM and Stanley Cup Champion Clancy had to step down. But fellow Stanley Cup Champ @Craig B x91 stuck it out with his crew and they grabbed the final playoff spot on the last day of the regular season. Manchester is your typical 8th seed who finished middle of the pack in goals for and against. The Monarchs were bottom 10 in FO% but somehow finished 3rd in ATOA, ahead of Providence.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [B+].
    This offense is experienced and very good. They don’t necessarily have anybody who will take over the game but as a unit, they know how to put the puck in the net. How will Craig match his lines vs Providence?

DEF: [C+]. This is the glaring weakness of the team. Outside of the emergence of @XxPEATLERxX x4x and the expected dominance of Craig, this defense does not have what it takes to stop Providence.
    G: [A]. This is the only way Manchester pulls off the upset. @l Kodiak l was an NHL All-Star goalie back in VHL and @l Stastnyl won the Calder Cup with Charlotte last season. They will need to steal 2-3 games in this one but that isn’t a big reach with them

Players to Watch: FWD:
    @V RBK Sniper V @Noobinator156 DEF: @l0l Fowler l4l

Writers’ Series Forecast: This looks like David vs Goliath and quite frankly, that’s how it should play out. The Monarchs will have to possess the puck and put pressure on Providence’s forwards to try and get it back. If there’s a weakness on Providence, it’s the fact that they have not had to deal with losing or adversity very often this season so if Manchester can execute, things could get interesting. But Providence has just done too much this season for anything bad to happen just yet, so I’ll place my bets on the Bruins...4-1.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-1 Providence
    Jay Rulez: 4-1 Providence
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-1 Providence
    Noobinator: 4-2 Manchester :)
    Pahk: 4-1 Providence
    Riemersmaa: 4-0 Providence
    Sneaky: 4-3 Providence
    Zeno: N/A

(2) :t316:Norfolk Admirals (57-22-3 117 PTS) vs. (7) :t350:Hershey Bears (43-33-6 92 PTS) - Zeno
    Season Series: Norfolk 6-1 GF22/GA10
    Norfolk
    This team was built on one thing in particular, TEAM DEFENSE. They did just that the whole season. Forget trying to score on this team, Hershey should focus on getting shots first. This team averaged the lowest amount of shots against their goalies with Bhawk averaging a league low 9 shots a game (min 15 games played) and Dawgz averaged only 10.5. With these types of numbers you can start to understand why they finished second in the league in goals against by only 1 goal. Add into their defense a great set of forwards like J Bidd, Ryan, and Pahk, who are all having good seasons, and you truly start to see why this team can be so scary. Although, this team did get lit up 4-0 in their final played game they will be looking at making a statement in this series. They have the talent and the depth to make it far in these playoffs, but are all the bounces going to go their way? In this series I don't think it matters.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A-] The question comes down to whether or not they will have @hicksy999 and @Figeroux step up in these playoffs. If they end up stepping up then I would consider this team as one of the deepest in the entire playoffs. I am just not sure those two can really step up if their teammates need them. Hicksy hasn’t been producing since coming over from St. John’s with a stop in Utica. Will he be able to turn into a playoff hero for this team? Other than these two all the rest of the forwards are outstanding and will look to prove to the league that they are real contenders.
    DEF: [A+] This team is built on defense and you start to realize that after just one period. There are only two real good names that stick out to you on defense, Heimbecker and NotableMaple, but the other players on defense is what makes this team really special. They have all stepped up and learned the system and have played their hearts out this season. This team is 1 of the 2 top defensive teams in the league and that will carry this team far.
    G: [A-] Perhaps this grade will come as a bit of a shock to some people, but there is a solid reasoning why I didn’t give them a higher grade. Both the goalies are good with a very low GAA this season, but Dawgz finished with a 78.4 SV% and Bhawk finished with a 77.2 SV%. I know this is one of the drawbacks for facing a low amount of shots every game, but when they come up against a team that likes to shoot will the goalies be able to keep up? I am sure Bhawk will put in some respectable performances, but will Dawgz be able to keep up? I am not so sure.

Players to Watch:
    FWD: @hicksy999 , @Figeroux (Prove me wrong). DEF: @F5 Penguin (You are the highest paid person on the team. Can you play like it?) G: @NG Bhawk (Show the league that you can be a starter on a Calder Caliber team.)

Hershey
    First off, Congrats on getting into the playoffs. With the race you guys were in that was not an easy feat, but you accomplished it. Now you get to face your division rivals in Norfolk. What else can I say? Good luck next year! Seriously though, you guys have your work cut out for you. You guys were a decent team during the regular season, but the playoffs are a whole different type of game. You will no longer face teams that are in cruise control. You will be facing the best, and you are starting out against one of the favorites. Will you be able to keep up? Your team is not particularly skilled at any one position so the only chance you guys have is to shoot a lot and shock them into giving up goals. Unfortunately, I don’t think you have it in you. Just try to make the series close.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [B-]
    Your highest scorer finished with 63 points in @oompsahearn and didn’t even play on your team the whole season (didn’t arrive until week 5 from OKC). You really don’t even have any superstars on this team. You have two players with the capacity to carry their lines in @MiRacLe XLIII and @JusTiN x39. But will you be able to get away with them carrying a line? Not against Norfolk.

DEF: [C] Other than @Stop Noto you guys have a lot to prove. Can you guys actually step up and stop the juggernaut that is Norfolk?
    G: [C-] Did you expect something better? Your best goalie is a former CHLer, and your week 9 starter went 1-5 in a week that you needed him to produce. If you guys even expect to win a single game you both need to step up and prove yourselves @NWA212 and @Reinhart x l23l . There are just too many questions with this goaltending than answers.

Players to Watch:
    FWD: @MiRacLe XLIII @JusTiN x39 G: @NWA212 @Reinhart x l23l

Writers Series Forecast: I will give Reinhart 1 game. Other than that Hershey is going to get absolutely smoked. With the defense of Norfolk I would be surprised if Hershey managed more than 5 goals this entire series. Hershey just doesn’t have what it takes to take down one of the favorites. Better luck next season. Norfolk is winning this one 4-1 as long as they keep working hard as they have done all season.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-2 Norfolk
    Jay Rulez: N/A
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-3 Norfolk
    Noobinator: 4-1 Norfolk
    Pahk: N/A
    Riemersmaa: N/A
    Sneaky: 4-0 Norfolk
    Zeno: 4-1 Norfolk

(3) :t305:Albany Devils (56-22-4 116 PTS) vs. (6) :t315:Bridgeport Sound Tigers (47-29-6 100 PTS) - Pahk
    Season Series: Split 4-4 GF: ALB 22 BRI 17
    Albany
    Once again Albany finds themselves towards the top of the Conference despite having to battle against two fantastic divisional teams all season. Led by GM @ImJeff and AGM @Fourth Forward stellar goaltending and the ability to control the puck paved the way for their second straight division title. This is a team with something to prove this post season after a disappointing 2nd round exit in S17, however they have still shown a tendency throughout the season to lose games to teams who they have no business losing to. When things are going right for Albany they are a serious Calder contender but if the wheels start to fall off it remains to be seen if Albany can pull out of a tailspin.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [B+]
    Led by @xCROSBYx l87l this team features a talented top 6 full of two way forwards who can bear down and play team defense to beat you 2-1 or light up the lamp to win in a shootout, their third line could be their downfall however as they have struggled to find consistency throughout the season.

DEF:[B+] The departure of @DOMS313 has certainly left a bit of a hole on Albany’s defensive core and I believe this team is missing top notch shut down defenseman besides @TheTightSpliff, they do feature a stable of solid and mostly consistent Dmen. @ImJeff will have to pick his game up and lead by example throughout this postseason.
    G:[A] Different season same results as yet again Albany has two goaltenders who can steal them a game on any given night both @Huet l 39 l & @XxGiveItToMexX had stellar seasons the question remains however if they are capable of bringing a Calder to Albany.

Players to Watch: FWD: @xCROSBYx l87l @King Amante DEF: @TheTightSpliff @Stith00

Bridgeport
    After a tumultuous season Bridgeport seems to have righted the ship heading into the first round of postseason play. Outside of stud forwards @NukeBomb81 and @Meettopcheese you would be hard pressed to find any standout players among their forwards, their defense on the other hand can both shut teams down and produce offense AGM @Potsy44 is one of the best two way defenders in the league and will look to lead his team into a showdown with their division rivals Albany who they have fared well against this season. Bridgeport finished the season absolutely ablaze going 9-0-1 in their final ten games of the season featuring a dramatic overtime win against Albany.

Depth Grades:

FWD:[B}
    As previously mentioned Bridgeports offense does not feature many big names outside of their truly fantastic first line, however players like @squintzzy have been on a roll and will look to keep that momentum going into round 1.

DEF:[A] Along with the previously mentioned @Potsy44, veteran defenders @RABID WOLV3RIN3 and @BLISDON lend leadership and skill to an already talented back end unit.
    G:[B-} This grade would be lower if not for the recent emergence of @ZincyPooh, GM @Dirty Mart has been solid if unspectacular this season. In the playoffs you only go as far as your goalies will take you and just how far that is remains to be seen.

Players to Watch: FWD: @NukeBomb81 @Meettopcheese DEF: @Potsy44 @BLISDON

Writers Series Forecast: After splitting the season series 4 games apiece these could be one of the more thrilling series in the first round. Can Bridgeport ride their late momentum or will their lack of depth at forward catch up to them? I for one believe that the depth and experience of Albany will be the deciding factor as Albany grinds out the series in 6 games, however if this series goes to 7 Bridgeport has a top line capable of beating Albany’s or anyone else’s for that matter.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-3 Albany
    Jay Rulez: 4-2 Albany
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-2 Albany
    Noobinator: 4-2 Albany
    Pahk: 4-2 Albany
    Riemersmaa: 4-2 Albany
    Sneaky: 4-2 Bridgeport
    Zeno: 4-3 Bridgeport (A mild shock upset.)

(4) :t313:Portland Pirates (57-23-2 116 PTS) vs. (5) :t310:Springfield Falcons (49-27-6 104 PTS) - Noobinator
    Season Series: Portland 2-0, 8GF/2GA
    Portland
    Portland quietly went about their business this season and snuck their way into home ice advantage. They seemed like a middle of the pack team for a while but turned it on at the end of season winning 23 of their last 28 games. Their strengths this season have been being able to roll 2 competitive lines and having 2 good goalies. They have some good disciplined D-Men who tend to take the puck over body every time, making it a pain for other teams to enter the zone. However with all that said, they do have some issues to work out. Their third line has been terribly inconsistent so moving into a best of 7 is not an ideal situation for them. They have 1-2 games in the series and inconsistency is a recipe for a long series.

Depth Grades:

They have 2 forward lines that can win, lead by @f2 tuxeed and their playmaker AGM @ekimeekim. Their only concern will be line 3 which has won some big games, but also been blown out in others.

DEF: [A-] Equipped with some great shutdown D-Men, Portland is great at trapping and playing the puck. They seem to be weak down low in their own zone and also offensively with only a couple offensive D-Men. Their best D-Men in my opinion would be @HeisenBERT and @l Pulkkinen 6 l.
    G: [A-] Both goalies can be starters for this team but they do have games where they show they are only human. I’ve seen first hand @RoWsKi l5l play a terrible game where we beat him 6-2 but he does have 7 SO’s on the season so he must be doing something right.

Players to Watch: @f2 tuxeed, @HeisenBERT @RoWsKi l5l

Springfield
    The Falcons had a good season, although they never really got hot. They won 10 straight between weeks 3 and 4 but week by week, it’s been a lot of 6-3 / 5-4 weeks. They have some top tier players up front @xBronxBomber21x, @BouRn3Leg3nD27) and some of the more notable depth players throughout their roster @StickNick555, @Dragon Muck, @JackOfHearts17). Their goaltending situation isn’t ideal heading into the playoffs, with no true starter (what up Ein). But they do have enough depth throughout the lineup to win games even if the matchups aren’t in their favour.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A-]
    Led by @xBronxBomber21x, @BouRn3Leg3nD27 and the one they call @G4RIS, Springfield has a very good top line. They also have the depth forwards that could steal a win if they are on their game.

DEF: [B+] The Falcons have some good D-Men including @Brisan66 and @StickNick555. After that though, they seem to flatten out.
    G: They have 2 goalies who can hold their own, but facing the top lines will be a challenge for both of them. It will take sound defense to keep these guys away from breakaways and the wide open cross creases.

Players to Watch: @xBronxBomber21x, @Brisan66, @BouRn3Leg3nD27.

Writers Series Forecast: This is one of the series that I think can go the distance. Portland won the season series 2-0 but with the right matchups Springfield can easily win 2 games. I think the Falcons second line can win a game. And I give the Falcons the edge in game 7. Springfield’s goalies will have to be on their game but I do think their offense will be able to crack Portland. If Portland wants to win, they will need to be disciplined defensively, and efficient offensively.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-3 Springfield
    Jay Rulez: 4-3 Springfield
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-2 Springfield
    Noobinator: 4-3 Springfield
    Pahk: 4-2 Springfield
    Riemersmaa: 4-3 Portland
    Sneaky:4-3 Portland
    Zeno: 4-2 Portland

Western Conference

(1) :t312:Rochester Americans (57-19-6) vs. ( 8 ) :t390:Milwaukee Admirals (40-35-7) MadeOfTwoFaces
    Season Series:
    Rochester
    If someone told me at the beginning of the season Rochester would be the top team in the Western Conference after the K Slice and Shocker happenings, I would’ve called them an idiot. Instead here we are, Rochester with 120 points, the top seed in the West, and not showing signs of slowing down. Finishing the season with a 14-3-2 record , something they’ve been accomplishing for the past few weeks. Lead by @Crass lXx8xXl and late addition to the team @F i N i l87l Rochester seems to be on a role, and shows no signs of slowing it down.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A+]
    I don’t think anybody can really disagree with Rochester’s offensive talents. They’ve got multiple forwards who could play on the first line on any team, and the rest would be second liners at the very least. With @SouPerSaiyan leading the charge, we’ll see if Rochester can carry their offensive output into the playoffs.

DEF: [A] Again, I don’t think anybody can argue with this. With @Haunted Avocado, @pensman66 and @M4TTH35 Rochester had a defense who can shut down just about anybody, and they’ve proved that all season long. If these guys can play like everybody knows you can, the West is in for a surprise in a best of 7 against them.
    G: [A] The goaltending on Rochester is what I would consider the weak point, only because in every other area they are incredible strong. @SRU Thamps has been proving all season long he was worth the $3.5m Rochester spent on him, while @Kabuki TV came up from the CHL after being acquired from Hamilton and has been showing us all season why he was called up. While Thamps will most likely keep his hot streak going, Rochester’s fate may depend on whether or not Kabuki can carry his load and be a wall behind the defense.

Players to Watch: @SouPerSaiyan, @pensman66, @Kabuki TV

Milwaukee
    Milwaukee’s season has been a LOT of up and down each week. They started slow, picked it up in weeks 2 and 3, then hobbled the rest of the way to secure the 8th seed. A lot of Milwaukee’s success through the season seemed to depend on All-Star @Shtz2ez, while everyone else hopped on his back and held on for dear life. Needless to say, their defense and goaltending wasn’t up to par with the rest of the league. Lead by GM @pitwinkle and AGM @headswiper73, Milwaukee sure is fighting an uphill battle against Rochester, a battle basically the whole team will have to step their game up for if they even want a shot at winning the series.

Depth Grades:

Looking at Milwaukee, only 3 forwards really put up points and wins. Granted, they played more games than everyone else, but they clearly earned those games with their performance. @Shtz2ez, @headswiper73, and @ele905 all have over 60 points, which is good for being on the 8th seeded team, and will most likely be the deciding factor on how long this series lasts.

DEF: [C-] Milwaukee’s defense was less than satisfactory this season, I mean if you look at the roster page there is more blue there than there is on a blue crayon. This defense, lead by @Hatrick Swayze9, is going to need to step it up if Milwaukee wants a chance at lasting 4 games, let alone winning.
    G: [B-] There’s not much to say about Milwaukee’s goaltending. Goalies, while they can steal some games, can’t steal them all unless they have good defence in front of them. @Kaskade Saturn joined the team in week 5, and has only lost 3 games in regulation during his 5 weeks on the team. Granted OTL’s don’t matter in playoffs clearly he has the ability to stop a few pucks from getting through and if his D can step it up, may be able to steal a game.

Players to Watch: @Shtz2ez, @Hatrick Swayze9, @Kaskade Saturn

Writers Series Forecast: Unless Milwaukee seriously steps there game up, this series will be a quick one. @Shtz2ez and @Kaskade Saturn may be able to steal one for the Admirals, but unless the rest of their team gets their shit together Rochester is gonna walk away with this one without breaking a sweat, or a controller.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-0 Rochester
    Jay Rulez: 4-0 Rochester
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-1 Rochester
    Noobinator: 4-0 Rochester
    Pahk: 4-1 Rochester
    Riemersmaa: 4-0 Rochester
    Sneaky: 4-0 Rochester
    Zeno: 4-0 Rochester

(2) :t394:Abbotsford Heat (54-22-6 114 PTS) vs. (7) :t395:Chicago Wolves (44-32-6 94 PTS) - Riemersmaa
    Season Series: Chicago 2-0, 8GF/3GA
    Abbotsford
    Outside of one off week, the Heat have been one of the most consistent teams this season. This is a team that a lot of the good forwards in the league aren’t happy about facing. Their defense has proved time and time again that they can hold their own and keep the puck out of the net, they had the third best GA throughout the entire league and were one of three teams to keep their GA below 200 on the season. If you somehow do find a way to crack through their defense, the offense has shown that they can compete on almost any given night. The only issue I see on this team is their depth at forward, they have two solid lines who can frustrate any teams D, but their other line seems to be lacking. After you’ve dealt with the D and forwards, you still have to find a way to put the puck in the net, the tandem of @Elegant Mullet and @QUICK l32l have had no issues bailing their team out as needed which can be seen in their stats throughout the season.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [B+] -
    Look for recently sent down @CRONKZYYY to gather the troops and propel this group of forwards against Chicago. At times, they have no issues with putting the puck in their opponents’ net but they have showed some signs of weaknesses throughout the season (especially against Chicago).

DEF: [A] - There’s a reason this team finished with the third lowest GA in the league. Defense. Anchored by @Sloshy Boxers, @Kbsmith37, @MBell91, and @mr perfect 48 this team will make you work for your goals day in and day out.
    G: [A-] - With the previously mentioned D core in front of you each game there’s usually not too many reasons to worry as a goalie. However, these goalies have showed their worth throughout the season and will be able to steal games for their team if need be.

Players to Watch: F: @CRONKZYYY D: @Sloshy Boxers G: @Elegant Mullet

Chicago
    Meet the team that loves to meet fire with fire. Chicago is a team that has no problem putting the puck in the net, but on most nights they struggle to keep the puck out of it. They finished the regular season with a meager +21 goal differential which I believe will initially be their falling point. I see some similarities between Chicago and Abbotsford as they both seem to have two lines who carry the offense. The issue is, if the offense can’t click on any given night, how is the defense going to gain that momentum for their team? As a GM, @TRiMBoLi TiME needs to get his defence to play better in front of him as he put up fairly solid stats throughout the season, minus his GAA. The key to success for this team is settling their defence in and letting their high powered offense do work.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A] -
    As I said earlier, this team has no issues with putting the puck in the net. @GooDWarQC and @lSneaky x84l finished top 15 in scoring and have proven to be among the top forwards in the league. Besides these two players they still have several others who can make the most experienced D cringe. However, they will need their third line to pull together and steal a game if they expect success throughout this series.

DEF: [C] - This could be the one aspect of their team that hurts them throughout the playoffs. If they can’t keep other teams forwards from breaking through this series could end a little quicker than expected. They will have to attempt to play tighter as a unit in order to limit opposing teams scoring chances.
    G: [B+] - [FONT=Arial @[URL="http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/member.php?u=6615"]TRiMBoLi TiME[/URL] looks to be the clear cut starter for this team and has potential to play well throughout the series. If the D can’t pick it up in front of him though, he may be in trouble. Backup goaltender @Talbot x 17 will also have to step up his game if he is called upon in the big games. With a meager 72.7 save percentage throughout the season, he better hope the forwards are on their game each and every night. [/FONT]

Players to Watch:F: @GooDWarQC D: @aucun respect G: @TRiMBoLi TiME

Writers Series Forecast: This series is a superb example of the age old question - does offense or defense win championships? Abbotsford clearly has the edge in the defensive category in the series while I believe Chicago gets the upper hand in the offensive categories. Look for Abbotsford’s D to be on their game while facing Chicago’s top QC line and shut the door. Honestly, I can see this series going two ways if that doesn’t pan out. If Chicago can find a way to steal a game with their third line I think they can take it to seven. If they cannot dig and win with their third line then Abbotsford will make short work out of them. So to sum that up - Chicago wins if it goes to seven, while Abbotsford wins if it does not. In my personal opinion I think Abbotsford’s D will prove to be too dominant of a force throughout this series and finish it in 6. I am a big fan of seeing the underdog succeed though, so let’s see if Chicago can prove me wrong. Abbotsford 4-2.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-2 Abbotsford
    Jay Rulez: 4-3 Abbotsford
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-2 Abbotsford
    Noobinator: 4-2 Abbottsford
    Pahk: 4-2 Abbotsford
    Riemersmaa: 4-2 Abbotsford
    Sneaky: 4-2 Chicago
    Zeno: 4-1 Abbotsford

(3) :t362:Iowa Wild (49-28-5 103 PTS) vs. (6) :t410:Utica Comets (49-29-4 102 PTS) - Riemersmaa
    Season Series: Utica 1-0-1, 8GF/3GA
    Iowa
    A team featuring several former NHL players as well as scrub to stud hero @Wonger257 managed to live up to expectations and finished the season 3rd in the Western Conference. Taking a look at this team it is very evident they have a ton of firepower and will have no issues holding their own against the top players in these playoffs. Along with that firepower, their D aren’t too shabby either, they finished the regular season in the top 10 in GA allowing 227 on the year. The position to watch has been in the net, goaltender and team captain @iTransitions has been absolutely stellar at times this season, while at other times it’s seemed as if he’s been absolutely invisible in the net. If this team wants to go deep in these playoffs, look for Tranny to step up his game and lead Iowa on the hunt for the Calder.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A] -
    This is a team that clearly has no issues scoring. Since coming over from random assignments, MainEvent x10 has vaulted himself near the top of the leaderboards. This teams forwards will put pressure on most teams D and will certainly be something to look out for during these playoffs.

DEF: [B+] - The depth on D could be what hurts this team the most. They do have some big names who can do work, but they also have some D who are downright bringing this team down. However, they have potential and if they can pick up their bottom pair they may be able to go far.
    G: [A-] - As I said earlier, Tranny has been great for this team for the majority of the season and look for him to make the majority of starts throughout these playoffs. Their backup @sparkplug87 nic has shown he has the ability to steal some games as well. If this tandem works well together they could make a lot of noise for the next few weeks to come.

Players to Watch:F: @MainEvent x10 D: @ooDROPPoo G: @iTransitions

Utica
    Utica has certainly made a lot of noise over the past couple weeks and their final spot in the standings is a clear indicator of that. Going 21-6-0 in their final three weeks Utica ended up with the 6th seed in the West which was due mainly to their ability to put the puck in the net. While they don’t have many high calibre forwards, they do have a lot of guys who are consistent. Only one forward finished with less than 50 points (@Sikk Vengeanc3 with 49) which shows all three lines can produce. Utica can also keep the puck out of their own net due largely in part to their defensively-minded D-men and stellar goaltending from @LIVE Jordan . However, another weapon on this team seems to be @dcshoe who finished 5th in scoring among D-men and tied for first in goals among D-men. Utica will need to continue their hot play as they have a difficult challenge in round 1.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [B+]-
    With no real stars to carry a line, Utica still boasts three solid lines who can put up numbers on any given night. The consistency and depth of these forwards will certainly help them during the playoffs. In order for this team to be successful they will have to replicate their regular season play and roll all three lines.

DEF: [A] - With a solid mix of offensive and defensive minded D-men, Utica can come out any night and play a completely different game. Whether it’s dcshoe’s offensive prowess or @Tubbyturbo13 shutting it down for the Comets, this is a D-core that will and can frustrate opposing forwards.
    G: [A-] - LIVE Jordan has proved to the league that he has the ability to be one of the top goalies in the league. Being number 1 in the power rankings twice in a row is a clear indicator of that. However, he will have to be on the top of his game if he hopes to replicate that success and shut out Iowa’s top forwards. He should receive the majority of games throughout this series while @Grayzer x 30 sits back and waits to be called upon. Either way, each of these goalies has the ability to put up big games when needed.

Players to Watch:F: @arnooney D: @dcshoe G: @LIVE Jordan

Writers Series Forecast: This series is going to be an absolute war and might be one of the most exciting ones to track throughout the first round. Any of Utica’s lines have the potential to match Iowa’s top lines and should compete with them on a game to game basis. I believe this series will come down to goaltending and who can bring their A-game. Unless Iowa’s top line gets rolling don’t expect any blowouts throughout the series, and if this doesn’t go to 7 games I will be ultimately shocked. In the end, I believe Iowa has the better top line and will be able to crack through Utica’s defense to end it in the seventh and final game. Looking forward to following this one so put on a show boys!

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: N/A
    Jay Rulez: 4-3 Utica
    MadeOfTwoFaces: N/A
    Noobinator: 4-3 Iowa
    Pahk: 4-3 Iowa
    Riemersmaa: 4-3 Iowa
    Sneaky: 4-1 Utica
    Zeno: 4-2 Utica

(4) :t317:Lake Erie Monsters (50-28-4 104 PTS) vs. (5) :t363:San Antonio Rampage (48-27-7 103 PTS) - Arnooney
    Season Series: Split 1-1 GF: LEM 6 SAN 9
    Lake Erie
    Lake Erie started the year hot, being neck and neck with Rochester for the majority of the season. However, towards the end of the season, they started to slow down. Although they had a good record, they barely won the 4th seed in the West with a couple teams breathing down their necks. Lake Erie had a goal differential of +50 during the regular season, relying on timely goal scoring and clutch goal tending to lead the way to victory. Lake Erie will need to improve on their puck possession in the playoffs if they want to succeed, but also keep up their physical game, being 2nd in the league in hits. Lake Erie’s strengths are a good top line, along with solid goaltending. The question is, are their other 2 lines going to show up? Lake Erie will need to put these last few weeks behind them and forget it if they want to go far in the playoffs.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [B+] -
    Lake Erie has 2 scoring lines, led by @pete magnum791 (74 points) and @l TwiSteD l (74 points). Their top line has benefited from a trade for @Kurysu and he has helped immensely, especially on the powerplay with 13 goals. The 2nd line has been pretty inconsistent this season, especially in the past few weeks, going 1-2 each week. This team will need better production from the 2nd and 3rd lines in order to have success in the playoffs.

DEF: [B+] - Defense is one of Lake Erie’s strengths, having a solid top 4. Their top d pair of @Ashes and Faith and @DRLFT3R have had a good season together. The other two pairs haven’t been together for very long due to trades and a call up to the NHL, so they will need to find some more consistency to keep the pucks out of the net. The defense needs to focus on keeping the puck out of their zone, since their team’s TOA is pretty low. Puck possession will be key to this series.
    G: [A] - Of course having one of the best goalies in the entire AHL doesn’t hurt. @BIG RIG l83l is an x-factor in this series, he can steal games for Lake Erie when their offense is coming up dry. He will need to play better than he has the past few weeks, but I think if Lake Erie wants to win this series, it will be on his shoulders. Their backup @sac99 has played very well since getting to Lake Erie, and he will need to continue that in the playoffs.

Players to Watch:FWD: @Kurysu DEF: @Ashes and Faith G: @BIG RIG l83l

San Antonio
    San Antonio is a team on the rise, having 3 excellent weeks to close out the regular season. Their top 2 lines carry the load on offense, and that will need to continue in the playoffs to move onto the next round. San Antonio has the 2nd best penalty kill in the league at 79.1% as well as a 53.4 % faceoff percentage, good for 4th best in the league. They won’t possess the puck for very long, but when they do you better watch out because this team can score, especially on their top line. Another thing to note in this particular series is the fact that they barely hit, only having 796 on the season, the least amount in the entire league. I believe this to be a strength of theirs, because they also don’t take many penalties.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A-] -
    San Antonio boasts one of the best top lines in the entire AHL. These guys carried this team all season, and definitely will be needed to win games for this team in the playoffs. It doesn’t matter how much you score on this team, they will probably end up scoring more goals than you. Players like @kinklater 10 and @EliteHydroponix are their top 2 forwards, but their linemate @Money Marty19 seems to be the beneficiary and scored the most goals on the team with 42. Their second line, led by their AGM @RocketShip x 27 is another line who can score on this team. Forward depth will be key in the series against Lake Erie, the only question mark is their third line at this point.

DEF: [B+] - This team is led by @Spooer69 , not only because he is the GM, but because he anchors the defense as well. He is joined on the blueline by @LastBalloon and @ABBeast42 who is on IR right now. If San Antonio has their full defensive lineup going into this first round, they will give Lake Erie some problems. The key to this defense is they don’t take many penalties and staying out the box on defense usually prevents goals. As long as they don’t get into penalty trouble, this defense will be solid.
    G: [A-] - A few weeks ago, I would have said San Antonio had one of the best goaltending duos in the league, until they lost their starter due to injury. Now, their starter is @snacksz23 who has been playing lights out lately, and has been one of the main driving forces to their late season surge. They have three goalies on the roster right now, but possibly one of them is going on IR for the week. If the goalies keep up their steady play, this team can be dangerous.

Players to Watch:FWD: @kinklater 10 @EliteHydroponix DEF: @Spooer69 G: @snacksz23

Writers Series Forecast: This series is one of the closest matchups in the entire AHL playoffs. Series between 4th and 5th seeds are always fun to watch, and this one will be no different. I am going to give the edge to San Antonio in this matchup due to their impressive run at the end of season, coinciding with a decline in Lake Erie to end the season. The key to this series will be each team’s 2nd lines, as well as how San Antonio attacks the matchups. Which team’s 3rd line will win a game? Whoever’s 3rd line wins a game, that team will win the series. I am predicting the series going to seven games, with San Antonio’s game 7 line taking it.

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: 4-3 San Antonio
    Jay Rulez: 4-3 Lake Erie
    MadeOfTwoFaces: 4-2 San Antonio
    Noobinator: 4-2 Lake Erie
    Pahk: 4-3 Lake Erie
    Riemersmaa: 4-2 San Antonio
    Sneaky: 4-2 San Antonio
    Zeno: 4-3 San Antonio

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 59
    No Streaming Account
  2. PardonMyJake

PardonMyJake Well-Known Member

Discord:
    jake.44#0
    Ratings:
    +1,291 / 4 / -14
    Good write up guys! Looking forward to a fun couple of weeks!

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  3. Coach Crass

Coach Crass Chat Mute/Forum Mute - No Buy-Out

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 389 / -316
    [MENTION=7654]Haunted Avocado[/MENTION] I thought you were going to be posting these?

CoachCrass
  4. Coach Crass

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 389 / -316
    Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award

On another note, Portland is my sleeper pick to come out of the East.

• Like Like x 4
    CoachCrass
  5. Lx_Maxwell_xI

Lx_Maxwell_xI ImJeff is my best friend.

Ratings:
    +741 / 13 / -13
    Great work guys! Thanks for pointing out how we've had to work around [MENTION=7358]ImJeff[/MENTION] and his best efforts to get us that eighth seed with his season.

• Like Like x 4
    MaxwellOnline
  6. Lx_Maxwell_xI

Ratings:
    +741 / 13 / -13
    Though I'm sure this will blow up into something it shouldn't, as I'm not calling you out or anything lol.

But I hope this year's awards committee looks at the team as a whole, and what the GM, and AGM (Not sure why this is a one man award, as it should be the management pair. Yes I'm very much so bitter about this.) have done with a certain team. Yes a lot of people rag on you guys, but you had a good team after bidding desipte the second tag stuff, and were gifted with Shippy I believe.

In my opinion a team like Springfield or Portland should win this award for the seasons they've had. If I had a vote it would be Portland, as those guys did whatever it took to make that team into one no one wants to face in the playoffs.

Side note, as I imagine you will walk through the first round, good luck with either of those teams Providence lol this is the one year the 1 seed might be a bad thing.

• Like Like x 3
    MaxwellOnline
  7. SouPerSaiyan

SouPerSaiyan Well-Known Member

Discord:
    soupersaiyan#0
    Ratings:
    +560 / 35 / -60
    Bruins, Admirals, Devils, Portland come out victors in the east

Heat, Iowa, and Lake Erie come out victors in the west. The only thing is if the Lake Erie Series goes to game 7, I believe San Antonio will win.

No Streaming Account
  8. MiRacLe XLIII

MiRacLe XLIII Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Best and most in depth write up this season well done. Good luck to everyone in playoffs.

• Like Like x 5
    No Streaming Account
  9. s0mni

s0mni Meh

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Nice write up.Good luck to all as long as you don't beat us :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. Coach Crass

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 389 / -316
    Doc, Soup, Thamps and Bak. = 17?

Good luck taking over a team that has 11 players in week one and turning it into the best team in the league. This team would of made the playoffs in the NHL Western Conference.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

CoachCrass
  11. Lx_Maxwell_xI

Ratings:
    +741 / 13 / -13
    LOL I should have known it would have ended like this. I'll just let you keep telling the forums how good you are.

Obviously you agree with your own statement.

• Like Like x 2
    MaxwellOnline
  12. Tenacious RD

Tenacious RD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 1 / -0
    Solid job, really well done. Lots of good teams going at it.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  13. Arguee

Arguee Third D-Man .

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Great write up guys appreciate the time and effort you guys put into this.

Good luck to everyones respected teams.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  14. Yo itz Charlo

Yo itz Charlo I miss the basics

Ratings:
    +488 / 37 / -4
    Just an amazing job. Lots of content, you guys all def put a lot of time
    and effort into this. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  15. HeisenBERT

HeisenBERT The danger.

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic write up. Appreciate the work you put into it.

Good luck to everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  16. Doc Status

Doc Status dark stasis

Ratings:
    +504 / 8 / -4
    Crass sucks, kid has been begging me to play on his account all season long.

If anyone doesn't believe me, I'll post a video where he sounds guilty in voice chat later.

• Like Like x 7
    No Streaming Account
  17. Mxckie

Mxckie Banana League Hero

Ratings:
    +3,834 / 315 / -317
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    iMackie21
  18. arnooney

arnooney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +564 / 2 / -0
    Good luck to everyone in the playoffs, most of these series will be very competitive

• Like Like x 4
    arnooney
  19. pensman66

pensman66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 5 / -25
    Good write-ups. I honestly didn't expect something so in depth for the ahl, but this write-up was as detailed as the nhl usually are. I feel bad about the way the season ended for us. I feel like if I had known I was playing vs providence before the game the outcome would have been very different. That was an unforced error on my part, and I'll make up for it in the playoffs. Looking forward to a long run.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  20. Dawgz45

Dawgz45 Wings Obsessed

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -1
    Awsome write up

• Like Like x 3
    Dawgz45
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.