Trace Route = Input delay

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by frostx17, Oct 15, 2015.

1. frosty l7l

frosty l7l looking for a team

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    Yes. I have gone through, and opened all ports to the Xbox. I haven't set my XBone as the DMZ though for the security implications. I've never had issues to the point where something like this would be necessary, but know it has worked for others. I'm not sure how much the ports actually play to the issue though. I have tried playing the game on wireless, wired to router, and wired to modem with no difference in game delay. Last night when I ran the tests on the latency, I went into 3 other game dashboards to see if the same latency existed like it did in NHL. Fifa, Madden, CoD, and Battlefield multiplayer all played crisp as could be with no input/server lag. The issue is quite literally only associated with NHL. Since LG has started to come full swing, more people are playing the game at specific times. I have noticed that my input delay has drastically increased during the "high volume" play time. NHL servers are still sending me to Europe on the tracer, where all other games are remaining inside the US. Since speaking with the TWC tech, I have tested the tracer religiously to try and find a correlation between gameplay, and the exact ping for that time. The results mirror themselves 100% of the time.

frostx7
  2. NotableMaple

NotableMaple Well-Known Member

Discord:
    notablemaple#0
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2
    Hopefully this might help,

After reading everything I had one of my guys that said he has never experienced this input delay do a tracer test to ea. The results came back and his was direct across the country to Redwood. I asked him to run the test twice, once at a dead hour, and once at a peak hour. Both tests came back the same, no European servers appeared on the trace.

I don't have the results to post unfortunately, maybe this will shine some light for you guys.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Mapes4
  3. TheMainEvent

TheMainEvent Well-Known Member

Discord:
    TME#9375
    Ratings:
    +2,131 / 16 / -16
    So you're telling me that my normal face off timing is off by 3 seconds and that's why I'm winning draws with the host delay? No. It's faceoffs on steroids, and I'm not the only one who has experienced that...it is not a normal connection delay is my point. I win a lot more faceoffs that I lose when I don't have delay so nothing you said makes sense for this issue. I literally went 35-1 on faceoffs when I couldn't even do a single thing on the ice.

MainEvennt
  4. frosty l7l

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45

This confirms everything right here. @Tris10 @MCDONALD l19l

frostx7
  5. Vellerz

Vellerz 2 Time Calder Cup Champ - 1 Time Playoff MVP

Discord:
    Vellerz#3871
    Ratings:
    +409 / 6 / -9
    @NugeTV come on dude, fix this shit.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  6. NotableMaple

Discord:
    notablemaple#0
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2
    Tried one more test with him. He has never gotten the lag while hosting when being direct to Redwood, and said he no issues. Ironically I had him test it just a few minutes ago and he managed to run into the European server. Massive increase in the latency, so I asked him to host one and it was bad. He said he could "most definitely" see a difference in connection quality. Whether or not this is the whole entire problem remains unknown but it is interesting the difference when not going through Europe.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Mapes4
  7. frosty l7l

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    What is his gamertag? I would like to run a few tests against his numbers tonight to see how they correlate with mine. It may not be the complete problem, but I definitely think it has a significant impact on what is going on.

frostx7
  8. EricE30

EricE30 -------

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 24 / -63
    @NugeTV you didnt make one friend at ea? come on...

p.s. barr acuda cave being constructed coming this weekend, big ocean feel.

No Streaming Account
  9. frosty l7l

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    Found this on the EA forums today as well. This guy, like myself, has been tracking down where the issue lies with the lag. He is in northwestern Canada, and works for Tellus. He has done many traceroutes, and has been able to identify where the issue was between the ISP and EA servers on Tellus' end. If you look at his post on page 2, he mentions the overload to the server on the path taken by Tellus users to EA. Supposedly, he was able to help get this issue resolved on the ISP side effective today allowing for a better experience. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10369077.page. If you go back on a few other forum posts, this guy has been using data like the one I listed from speaking to my ISP to track that issue which was supposedly resolved. EA/ISP's should be able to do the same thing, and in turn, fix the issue at hand.

If you are currently on Tellus, please post in here if you have experienced a massive delay (@cnumartyr85 I think you said something about having the issue 95% of the time?). If what this guy said worked on the Tellus end, the button lag should be drastically reduced. That fix could quite possibly be the fix that makes this button lag go away permanently if applied to EA servers. We would need to have some form of traceroute comparable from before and after to see if the issue is better or worse though to apply it to the general population/his fix.

@Tris10 @MCDONALD l19l @Ozzyng2 @Tonyferelli @NugeTV

frostx7
  10. NotableMaple

Discord:
    notablemaple#0
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2
    Got a reply out of EA, same song just another day but they did say "We are very aware of the issue." Appears as though the community is doing a good job of letting them know.

Mapes4
  11. JEEEEEEBS

JEEEEEEBS VHL REFUGEE

Ratings:
    +319 / 12 / -14
    Nah, they'll work together depending on your router. DMZ is just a stupid name for opening all ports.

Wouldn't worry about leaving an Xbox open on DMZ, it's not really exploitable (i've tried) and there has never been a published xbox remote exploit in the history of xbox's. Plus it doesn't really matter as you're opening those ports anyways to play the game. I run my xbox on DMZ.

JEEEEEEBS
  12. JEEEEEEBS

JEEEEEEBS VHL REFUGEE

Ratings:
    +319 / 12 / -14
    Tell your friend the Redwood connection is Microsoft, not EA. You will find it in the logs of every connection to Xbox Live.

JEEEEEEBS
  13. mfricha-

mfricha- Warning Group

Ratings:
    +1,032 / 8 / -44
    No Streaming Account
  14. Rippyyy

Rippyyy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 1 / -6

I'm in Edmonton on Telus, I've had choppiness and input lag/delay whatever you want to call it since day one.

Ever since this guy did something, It's been a lot better. I've only played about 5-6 games of praising in the past week or 2, but from what I can tell it's much better, although it's still not the best.

No Streaming Account
  15. TBU The Tiny

TBU The Tiny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 6 / -8

This fixed my crap 100%.

I have Telus 50 in Calgary.

No Streaming Account
  16. frosty l7l

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    Update since I've made this thread... Been in contact with EA representative this last week, and have exchanged quite a few emails with him since that date. They've been monitoring my ip through the servers while I'm playing to help locate the issue on the trace route. Since I've been working with this guy, the input delay I've been receiving has decreased from 3 plus seconds every game, to now where I receive minimal input delay. Over the last 3-4 days, many of you should have experienced less issues than what you had when the game first dropped as well.

There is an issue, EA is working on it, and has been able to consistently reproduce the input delay on the back end copy that we don't use. That with the trace data I've been giving them has helped narrow down the problem. As they continue to work on it, game play will begin to feel better.

Last night I was able to host an eashl game as the captain of the team (it switched to me after leaving the DR to the lobby) on multiple occasions, and had very minimal input delay. In 2 of those games I had none at all. This is ground breaking progress considering how my connection was jackd00p bad until a few days ago. They've continued to monitor my ip through the servers to help locate the issue. Stay patient, things are progressing towards a fix.

Regarding the servers....

EA has given me the direct ip addresses to the NHL servers (which are located in redwood) to run the same tests I've been running on the other one to date. There are many similarities, but the major issue of European routing is still there. EA utilizes 2 servers for NHL with unique ip addresses to spread the load when peak activity occurs. One server is now operating properly, but the second one is not. That is what I have been helping to find a solution for by sending them data per their request.

To the people who never have delay....

Essentially what I have found (and this has been verified by a few members in the league sending me their results), is that the people who never lag have ISPs that are blocking the pathways that send your packets to the EA Ireland servers before making it to redwood California. You have flawless connection as this server is working properly.

The people who have input delay occasionally....

You don't get it all the time because your ip is splitting the time spent routing to both Ireland and redwood. Half the time it's sending you on the correct route, and he other half its sending you to Europe. That's why you get it "randomly".

The people who have delay ALL the time...

The fix isn't too far off hopefully. We've narrowed down a big piece of the puzzle, and it shouldn't be long before the whole problem is resolved. It just takes time. Hopefully you've noticed that the input lag has decreased a little bit. It's not completely gone, and still happens, but it's getting better.

I'll let you know more when I get more info. It takes time to run all the tests they want. Hopefully it's fixed permanently sooner than later.

- frost

frostx7
  17. Symtex

Symtex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I am that guy that work at TELUS and I was directly impacted by lag before we did the peering partner fix. I played the whole week and this weekend in a pretty much lag free experience. If you are on TELUS network and you are still having trouble. You are welcome to contact me and we'll see if we can help.

• Like Like x 2
    Fogboundturtle
  18. frosty l7l

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    Appreciate it, but I am not on Tellus. I am located near Nashville Tennessee in the US. I noticed in the EA forum that you were doing a lot of the same stuff I was to track down the problem. Was able to use it as supporting info. If you could PM what you guys did on the Tellus end I would appreciate the info! I'll hit you up on Xbox later as well.

frostx7
  19. Symtex

Symtex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't mean it will apply to your ISP. All you need to do is ask them to verify their link saturation within their peering network with Zayo. EA servers are behind Zayo.

Fogboundturtle
  20. Ozzyng2

Ozzyng2 Ignore the man behind the curtain

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 12 / -71
    EA's Recent response to frost after the band-aids been working for people....

[​IMG] frost xi :
    "Were also potentially looking at restricting cross region matchmaking. I think there could be some misconception around how the region matchmaking works in Clubs and how you can control it in the Dressing Room for example. A club who's region is set to NA East could still match up with an NA West or a Europe account if their "Match Region" option in the dressing room is set to relaxed, which is"
    • [​IMG] frost xi :
      "the defaulted option. If the Room Leader changes this to "Exact" that club can only match up against another NA East club. Now I know some people know how this works, but I'm sure not everyone does and some of these people may be vocal about the input delay when it's somewhat in their own control."
    • [​IMG] frost xi :
      As far as your IP blocking goes, we believe this would block the ability to match with a club in the region you specifically set (for yourself you blocked the EU game server), but really changing your region to Exact should do something similar. We have your instructions in front of our server infrastructure engineer to really get his expertise on it. He's involved with many EA titles though so
    • [​IMG] frost xi :
      we're just waiting on some feedback.
    [​IMG] frost xi :
    thanks James