Transparency thread + Community Feedback/Future Suggestions; Awards

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by JClaus33, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    TLDR; This is how we do awards, if you want to see something changed or improved, let me know down below, we are always open to making this better than we currently do it.

Hi everyone, as you all know since I've started helping on the awards committee, I've done my best to make it as transparent as possible, and to allow the most community involvement/feedback as possible. Ultimately I just want to have the most deserving people win awards after seeing how poorly it was done when I was first coming up in the league.

I know some of you aren't totally happy with how we do it now, and I know some of you really couldn't care less. That's perfectly fine, but I want to give everyone a voice that thinks there needs to be changes, or ways to improve what we do.

If you have a suggestion on a way to improve how we do things, or maybe you want to see the criteria changed for a certain award, maybe you want to see everything done publicly, I don't really know.

Regardless, this is the thread to suggest ideas or changes, and if they're constructive and helpful I'm more than happy to make changes to things if we feel like it could improve the process.

In order to do that, I feel like you guys need to all know how things are done currently, so here's the criteria for each award.

Calder; An all-encompassing award to determine who the best rookie in the league was in that season. We try to look at everything, from SOS to linemates to production on both ends. Here is the basic spreadsheet we used for this season.
    upload_2018-6-14_16-54-16.png

If a guy is clearly not to the standards of a group, we don't continue a deep dive into their numbers, cause this stuff takes a really really long time.

Selke; The selke is a fully defensive based award that attempts to take into account every defensive aspect of the game that can be recorded, and are then ranked in order of importance and weighted as such. The order of importance isn't just something we made up, it's the same that xbox has used for many seasons and also drew from what PSN used before I joined this. This is the spreadsheet for the selke for last season.
    upload_2018-6-14_16-58-9.png

I can't really comment on how the voting process went for this one cause for any award I'd be close to nominated for, I have 0 say in. I can't see any discussion on it, and I can't contribute any myself. On the screenshot though, you can see everyone who was researched for the award and how the stats are ordered in terms of importance. We are open to including more criteria for this, but do keep in mind we do it the exact same way xbox does.

Norris; The Norris, similar to the Calder and Hart is meant to be an all-encompassing award that takes into account everything a defenseman does, from points and +/- to takeaways and GAA, to SOS. We really try our best to find the guy that was the best d man ALL AROUND for the award. Here is the screenshot for this season, though it was adjusted once we determined the finalists to make it easier for formatting on the awards post.
    upload_2018-6-14_17-2-1.png

Vezina; I already posted the Vezina screenshots in the actual awards post, but again this is an all-encompassing award, to determine the best goalie for the season. I know for me the 2 most valued statistics are overall save % and save % vs playoff teams, but for each person it's different, as you do have to try and take into account the team played for, typical linemates and a lot of other factors. The only true criteria are that you play over 40 games (Making you a starter), and that you have a save % over 80. Here is the screenshot of the Vezina stats gathered
    upload_2018-6-14_17-5-46.png

________________________________________________________________​

Jack Adams; The Jack Adams in LG is typically an owner who exceeds expectations, or does a very impressive job throughout the season in terms of roster moves. Also it's meant to be an organizational award in LG, so AHL success is taken into consideration also. You could be the top team in the league all season and win it, or you could be a team that went through a lot of adversity and still finished high in the standings. It's not exclusive to one scenario. Here is the basic screenshot for the Jack Adams for this season, though there was a lot more discussion to it to try and find the best criteria.
    upload_2018-6-14_17-8-45.png

________________________________________________________________​

Hart; Last but not least, the most difficult award to decide. The only basic criteria is 20+ wins, after that it's a combination of everything. SOS, success vs playoff teams, overall numbers, importance to your team's success. This is also an award in which I've had 0 say over the last 2 seasons, meaning I can't see or contribute to any discussion of the award. We're doing our best to stay as objective as possible, so my only role in this award was to help compile all the stats and calculate SOS. It is by far the hardest to decide in any given season, and especially Season 7, with so many great seasons. Here is the screenshot for this season's Hart trophy, though there are a few goalies that are cut off at the bottom, because of just how many people are looked at for the award.
    upload_2018-6-14_17-11-55.png

I believe this covers every award, I know this is a huge post and probably a long read, but I encourage you guys to look through everything if you care about how awards are done and want to see how we decide what we do. As I said before, we're very open to improving how we do things and just want to see the best/most deserving win the awards they should each season. Please try and be constructive cause I really want to just make sure we do this right.

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    JClaus33
  2. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    Give out the S6 NHL All-Star awards.

LazyPedestrian
  3. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    I have nothing to do with All-star stuff, take that up with one of these fellows

@Tris10 @Flapjack8796 @hgSparty

JClaus33
  4. yoJonnn

yoJonnn xxxx

Ratings:
    +206 / 47 / -81
    I think the only issue I had with the awards was the win requirements. Say you have a player that has a phenomenal season, solid numbers across the board, but doesn't get the wins. Maybe they're short 3 wins of the requirement. Will the committee not make exceptions for such players?

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. GonzoArmstrong

GonzoArmstrong Well-Known Member

Discord:
    GonzoArmstrong#4735
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 169 / -318
    @JClaus33 whats the formula for SOS. Was hoping to see mine but its left out on the charts.

xXxGonzoArmstrongxXx
  6. ItsJodach

ItsJodach No more west

Ratings:
    +519 / 24 / -53
    I think for a lot of the voting awards, it should move to a top 3 or top 2 after the initial voting phase. This would move to a finalist vote or something like that. Especially with s7 where so many people had great seasons a lot of the votes were split. I think this method would remove a lot of these splits and show a better representation of the community and their thoughts.

Oh ya, Joshua give me my Lindsay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    JodachTV
  7. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    upload_2018-6-14_19-38-41.png

Also, for Strength of schedule, the lower the number, the tougher your schedule. If your SOS was a 7.8 (Conf) and a 15.2 (League), your average game played would be against the 8th place team in the conference, and 15th in the league as a whole. Really high=really poor SOS

• Winner Winner x 2
    JClaus33
  8. The_0verthinker_

The_0verthinker_ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 105 / -166
    The fact that you guys even considered Kush for the Selke discredits the award completely

No Streaming Account
  9. Mooner2019

Mooner2019 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -8
    Was I not on there because I am a bog ? Lol jk do your thing fellas.

No Streaming Account
  10. Tcx7

Tcx7 Pokemon Master

Discord:
    Rico#2183
    Ratings:
    +2,128 / 39 / -103
    git gud

MyNameIsRicoAndILikeYou
  11. Krvstoffer

Krvstoffer help

Discord:
    krvstoffer#0
    Ratings:
    +1,881 / 57 / -118
    this doesn’t clear up why i don’t have the bill masterton

• Like Like x 1
    Krvstoffer
  12. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    We started with people who had both a high +/- and a good PPKE, as you can see, he was ruled out pretty quickly since we didn't get his SOS or linemates

• Like Like x 1
    JClaus33
  13. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    You may have missed the top row of the screenshot, if you mean why weren't you a finalist, you didn't play 40 games, that was the cutoff

• Like Like x 1
    JClaus33
  14. radicalapex

radicalapex Well-Known Member

Discord:
    radapex#2090
    Ratings:
    +624 / 5 / -18
    Yeah, the Vezina requirements have been clearly define for a couple seasons now. No judgement involved, you either meet them or you don't. I'd love for us to do that with the other awards, because there's more than enough info there for Norris, Selke, Lady Byng, and Jack Adams to be clearly defined as well.

radapex
  15. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    jclaus for every award

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. ItsJodach

ItsJodach No more west

Ratings:
    +519 / 24 / -53
    I thought we were friends

JodachTV
  17. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    jodach for all the other awards that jclaus doesn’t win

• Like Like x 1
  18. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    I know this is something you and I have discussed already, and I’m open to changing it, wins can be pretty team dependent, so if we think it’s something that could be made better we’re open to change

JClaus33
  19. CBCx77-

CBCx77- Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +359 / 54 / -39
    All star voting ?

capitalsfan_08
  20. TheCheetahlo 33

TheCheetahlo 33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 19 / -4
    I know this probably isn’t the right forum to be asking this, so I’m sorry for that, but I’ve tried to talk to Tris and McDonald about this, and they haven’t really gotten back, but what are you supposed to do when your awards keep dissapearing season after season? I understand it isn’t a huge deal, but when awards, banners, and trophies define your career, it can be very aggravating. I know I’m not the only one who’s dealt with this so please let me know if there’s anything I can do about that, thanks.

No Streaming Account