NHL 19 Needed Fixes for Competitive Community

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweeT 9 LoU 84, Oct 11, 2018.

?

What needs patched/tuned for the competitive scene

1. Skating

57.4%
  2. Bumps

52.6%
  3. Pass Interceptions

28.2%
  4. Skill Zoning

27.2%
  5. Other

18.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OvenMitts19

OvenMitts19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,759 / 17 / -26
    LOL

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  2. TimboSlice8785

TimboSlice8785 Cone

Discord:
    iAmTimboSlice#4399
    Ratings:
    +175 / 10 / -54
    Why can’t my player stickhandle in stride? He has to glide to stickhandle left to right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    iamtimboslice
  3. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    Defensemen don't get punished for getting beat. They can easily catch up and perform a bump, stick lift or poke from behind.

• Like Like x 8
    No Streaming Account
  4. x SMP 7 x

x SMP 7 x Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,300 / 4 / -2
    Everything everyone said here is true. It is also expected. I liked the beta and thought it was the best game since 16 (17 and 18 were abominations). However, I was cognizant of the fact EA would never make the decision to withstand the criticisms of 8,000 timmy2004's and stayathomedad69's on twitter and stick with the gameplay principles they touted in the beta. They know how their bread is buttered. Ever since NHL 13, EA has tuned the game the first couple weeks after release. Every single time, the result has been a worse game if you have any semblance of skill. This might not be couth, but Rammer is really, really bad at his job. Until EA gets a dev team that tries to take the game in a new direction (albeit with limited resources), you'll get a game that is varying degrees worse after release than it is in the beta or right out of the box.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    No Streaming Account
  5. o TheRedViper o

o TheRedViper o Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 1 / -1
    cancer

No Streaming Account
  6. C4NADA

C4NADA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    C4NADA#8873
    Ratings:
    +134 / 87 / -113
    Hut: puck pickups are a all time low.
    Increased penalties for ai for ppl who skill zone
    Decrease effectiveness of ai
    Make skaters to actually skate their speeds. A Hedman should get burnt by mcdavid easy.
    Decrease amount of point shots go in

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    c4nada
  7. CTastik91

CTastik91 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Morgz x 4#4444
    Ratings:
    +518 / 7 / -39
    * Holding a player in board play without the puck needs to be called 100% of the time.

* Either tone down incidental contact, or call penalties on defenseman who skate into players backchecking to knock them over.

* Goalies who dive out of the net to trip players needs to be a penalty.

* Top end speed needs reverted back to beta levels. If you let a speed player behind you, it should cost you. The game shouldn't bail you out with acceleration and nerfed top speed.

* Puck pickups need tuned a bit higher

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,455 / 325 / -613
    @RoaringViper is a god at this hahaha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  9. kid zxro

kid zxro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 9 / -6
    Skillzoning was never gone. People just didnt see it because everyone was playing donkeys right away who just sprinted all over the place. If you played any competitive player they were skillzoning still. So it needs to not go back to the beta they need to get rid of it all together. Id rather have 10-9 games cause nobody can play manual d than this stupid bullshit we have now. Rest of your post was pretty spot on lou.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. RoaringViper

RoaringViper Well-Known Member

Discord:
    roaringviper#0
    Ratings:
    +118 / 6 / -7
    If you cut close to the net you’re going head first into the boards no fucks given

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,455 / 325 / -613
    I know, I think it's great that you can do it so well and accurately every time haha

• Funny Funny x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  12. SiIky Johnson

SiIky Johnson Player Hater of the Year

Ratings:
    +483 / 23 / -52
    this is currently the biggest problem with this game at the moment. they need to revamp the skill stick altogether.

• Like Like x 1
    In World of CHEL
    silk_stalker
  13. iCallsoWhat55

iCallsoWhat55 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    icallsowhat55#1227
    Ratings:
    +787 / 49 / -145
    wtf is skill zoning?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    icallsowhat55
  14. BullBreed333

BullBreed333 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    BullBreed#6785
    Ratings:
    +400 / 28 / -67
    - make game faster overall, slowed it down too much after teasing the speed that makes the game more fun in beta.
    - eliminate ability to slow down player skating in front of another just by being on their tail skating, unless player is tugging jersey somehow it's ridiculous.
    - let players clearly ahead of defenders on breakaways not be overtaken so easily.
    - 1t accuracy and power should be better and more consistent.
    - stretch passes need more power and range.

• Like Like x 3
    Bullbreed333
  15. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Primetimme1
  16. keso_paghuni

keso_paghuni Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +720 / 1 / -5
    @SweeT 9 LoU 84

The game is in what might be its worst competitive state ever and there are a few reasons why

With the way NHL 19 is built it's only about positioning on defense and that's it. If you collapse and hold LT as a defensive unit it is extremely hard to be scored on. You intercept every pass and block most shots. Add this to the fact that goalies play really well and you can see why the ESHL 6s events goal totals are so low.

In NHL 09, to play defense, you couldn't rely just on positioning as the pass would get through. You had to either LB to block the pass, or hit the player in front. Was this realistic? Definitely not. But it provided some user input in to playing defense that made it just as much about skill as playing forward did.

I'm not asking for the same functions. I do think that in order to intercept a pass there should be more input than simply holding LT. I've been saying for years that there should be another button press to intercept a pass. I don't think the B button is used at all on defense. If I'm in a passing lane and I want to intercept a pass, a timing button should be needed, just like user picks in Madden, where how close I am when I press the intercept button should activate a dice roll/% of how likely I am to intercept the pass, and the multiplier could be my players defensive awareness.

And that right there is just one HUGE change that would affect the competitive games.

Puck holder skate speed is too low as well. No matter if it's 6's or VS, if I have a breakaway and I have the same speed or slightly higher, I am being caught on breakaways because the players skate so slow with the puck. Agility was lowered since the beta as well. Maybe it wasn't realistic that a lot of players were stopping, turning, or skating at full speed so quickly but it made the game more fun and added a high skill gap.

My personal opinion is that shooting accuracy is too low as well. A lot of players have always used low shooting attributes in 6s because players have always only shot from infront of the net. Now even those shots are missing. The argument that you should use a sniper or higher shooting attributes is fair, but we are seeing so many low scoring games where high % chances aren't going in.

In Versus the shooting is just as bad. One timer accuracy is terrible and these are NHL players. Whether it's realistic or not, I'd like shot accuracy to be better just to negate the randomness in the game. If I wanted to simulate actual NHL play I would play Franchise mode. Or, there should be slider options for "Simulation" vs "Competitive" that actually replicate those two descriptions.

Pass accuracy isn't where it should be either. Too many times I'll attempt to pass to a player and there is a far side player on my team in the same lane, instead of locking on to the closer player, the pass is locked on to the far side player and it gets intercepted. The games logic should take over and pass to the closer player, if I wanted to try a miracle pass I would saucer or do a cut to change passing lanes.

I think these specific things I brought up would make the game better ten fold, and there are things I'm missing.

The game just isn't in a good state and it's not very fun. The beta was amazing, and while it was a bit arcadey, they tuned it so much that it now reflects the dead puck era of hockey. The video game is supposed to be about represnting the best aspects of the sport, speed, nice passing plays, great shots, they used McDavid and Crosby in the trailer and the game plays like a representation of Jay Beagle.

• Winner Winner x 24
    • Like Like x 6
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    Keso_Paghuni
  17. Kiroxy4320

Kiroxy4320 Warning Group

Discord:
    Kiroxy#8894
    Ratings:
    +863 / 38 / -28
    I think the upside is, this engine they are running on now, has a ton of potential to be great. They have a lot of in game mechanics that don’t make a lot of sense, that is well known. I feel like they took away a lot of creativity with the last couple of tunners they put out. Dekes are harder to connect on, skating feels so much slower than it was in beta, incidental contact cause a hit reaction from skaters, disabling anything they were trying to do. The bumps are too over powered, the perks make you decide what you’re willing to sacrifice more than what you are wanting to enhance. Animations have always been an issue. I have always said this game would be better if they took out the automatic animations, your guy just skates where you are intending, rather than being pulled by an animation. M

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Kiroxy
  18. Kiroxy4320

Kiroxy4320 Warning Group

Discord:
    Kiroxy#8894
    Ratings:
    +863 / 38 / -28
    Did not mean to send that yet....

But the biggest downside is and will always be. EA caters to the casuals who will play this game only as far as EA works on it, which is around the end of November into the first couple of weeks in December, rather than gearing the game towards those of us who play this year round in a competive environment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Kiroxy
  19. VeNOM3O99

VeNOM3O99 Ultra Instinct (Sign) Goalie

Ratings:
    +333 / 29 / -32
    What needs fixing? All of the above!! Skating was great during the BETA, now it's back to the sluggish, floaty, spinny skating of NHL 18. Poke checks were in a good place during the BETA, then EA caved in to the whining little HUT babies. Stick Lifts were a problem back in the BETA. Everyone told EA about it, but it got drowned out with all the complaining everyone was doing about poke checks causing tripping penalties.

Goalies are in a good place, but there's still a lot of random factors that determine the outcome for us. One game you can stand on your head and save everything. The next game, you'll play the same way but every puck finds it's way behind you. Save animations are still odd at times. The goalie will turn into the net on some shots. They still don't know how to kick rebounds towards the corners yet. Passing with the goalie will sometimes make you pass directly at the opponent, even though you're not even aiming towards them.

Defense got a huge boost this year, which was sorely needed. Then the patch and tuner basically negated all that first by NOT fixing the puck lift spam. And then by tweaking the DSS so that it's basically where the poke checking was in the BETA: you even activate the thing and it's 2 mins in the box. So yeah, defense is just about positioning this year. No poking. No DSS. Just get in the puck handlers face and mash stick lift or bump him off the puck.

Speaking of which, the puck physics... Can EA actually find a REAL Hadron Collider physicist to work on them? Because the last one was obviously a FUCKING hack. Holy o' Fuck me, the puck in this game behaves more like a SUPER BALL than a hockey puck with all the random bounces and deflections (which somehow always gravitate towards an open man's stick, usually your opponent's).

The AI is abysmal. The menus are horrible and clunky. Why do we have to click a bajillion times to do anything?? Why do I keep finding 15 fucking SOUND FX in my hockey bags but like 1 goalie gear every 20 bags?

I still like the gameplay, but Jesus H. Christ on a Bicycle, EA fix your goddam game!!!

VeNOM3099
  20. DaSteelerz

DaSteelerz More than just cool on the internet

Discord:
    dasteelerz#0
    Ratings:
    +187 / 11 / -25
    Just make it easier to dump the puck and shoot it around the boards in the D zone then you have a great game. Get creative, stop doing the same plays. Just my opinion.

No Streaming Account