S10 Bidding Fudge Up

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by Lazy Pedestrian, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    Take 2

Season 8 I_Smash_Fatties was placed in bidding despite being retired. [​IMG]

He was picked up by Florida
    He was then removed by Staff
    They then ruled he could be returned to Florida because everyone had a crack at him (@MrPurpleCrush has the convo)
    He played the season out.

THIS SEASON
    5-ish players were able to sign up post retirement window closing which is an LG fuck up/Staff oversight
    Those players went into bidding and were picked up by teams.
    After their bids were won, they were removed.
    This time they go with a completely different ruling and remove all the players.

It makes no sense. This season the players actually DID sign up unlike I_Smash_Fatties but now multiple owners get fucked in bidding because of an LG fuck up.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    LazyPedestrian
  2. WJP089

WJP089 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 60 / -178
    Go get the pitchforks

No Streaming Account
  3. Drewl24l

Drewl24l Best Known Member

Discord:
    full_melt707#9603
    Ratings:
    +630 / 72 / -81
    • Like Like x 1
    melt707
  4. KROFTONITE

KROFTONITE www.twitch.tv/KROFTO

Discord:
    KROFTO#8304
    Ratings:
    +904 / 3 / -31
    Two seasons ago I retired on the Xbox side before the deadline but was still on the bidding list. I got picked up and didn’t want to play since I was on PlayStation as well. I was told I had to play or face a ban on both Xbox and PlayStation.

• Funny Funny x 4
    KROFTO
  5. brax96

brax96 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +436 / 17 / -49
    #FREESLEEVES

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    extrasweetsauce
  6. B-Bunny

B-Bunny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    Did they delete your thread from before? lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. EbonyFetishz

EbonyFetishz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +147 / 9 / -18
    Told u psn bogs blow

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. Lazy Pedestrian

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 12.35.13 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    LazyPedestrian
  9. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    @Lazy Pedestrian Thanks for making a post, this is an issue and retirement in general is something I am looking to expand on or correct as we move into future season.

The off-season for a handful of years now has caused some hiccups and such that we constantly try and improve on and don't see the result until the off-season closes and then we end up with new issues to address and fix.

I'll stick with the topic of retirement for now but it has ties to other issues. When the League introduced the Entry Draft, the #1 concern owners had was in regards to prospects retiring before the draft to avoid being taken, then signing back up to head to bidding or sign back up to ensure that they remain in the CHL. The main problem was Owners trade picks and for picks all season based on how players do in the CHL and there was nothing preventing the best players for that draft class from skipping the draft.

The change was then made to put in a HARD deadline to retire - come out of retirement. Of course the only date that made sense was the day of the entry draft. It MAXIMIZED the amount of time a player could unretire, but did not compromise the draft.

The issue then arose what happens to players who are free agents that retired? They are now locked into a retirement sentence that is ~18 weeks long. The other issue was players under contract also were locked to retirement, which wasn't an issue many seasons ago because retirement froze their contracts which unfortunately was no longer possible ~5 seasons ago.

We also learned this very off-season that by us opening the S10 retirement window during the S9 playoffs, it caused a MAJOR roster issue when we flipped to Season 10. The issue was that a player who retired in S9, was NOT being removed from the S10 roster when the rosters were mirrored for the resign window but also not being removed when the rosters were cleared after the resign window.

With the off-season being so short, and incredibly fast pace, I've been taking alot of notes on these issues and I am hopefully looking to correct things and make the off-season seamless but also fair.

There is alot of debate how players who pay a ban fine and return early end up with more playing eligibility and someone who retires etc. I told see that now, agree, and feel that we need site system changes to better support more lenient rules when it comes to playing eligibility and specifically the retirement stuff.

Here is some transparency on my notes and hopes for the future:
    • Change the retirement system to be able to designate between a "free agent" player who retires and a "under contract" player who retires.
    • The system would work the same on the outside and appear the same to the users, BUT on the back end track things very differently.
    • Free agents who retire, would simply have his or her sign for the season deleted, and have the trace removed which basically would appear in the system as in he or she NEVER signed up at all. This would allow players to join back up EVEN after the league sets a retirement deadline. The rules would be amended to support free agents returning as well to ensure the players who want to play can do so.
    • Players who have a contract would be handled differently. It could be handled one of two ways; 1) They could be locked into seasonal retirement UNTIL the following season like our current system does OR 2) we could allow these players to return to their respective team's TC ANYTIME during their contract and retirement BUT the sign up window would need to be open for that current season. This would mean a player cannot unretire during the playoffs. This would be an Owner's vote, because I am very impartial on how this issue is handled. Personally with the player's contract not freezing during retirement, option #2 is likely the best way to change out system moving forward.
    That is how I hope I can transition the retirement stuff to for the follow season. The other options are drastic and quite opposite in nature. The league could completely remove retirement. Therefore if you are under contract and cannot complete the second season of your contract it is a ban. If you are a free agent, signed up and now you cannot play, its a ban. Obviously that isn't an ideal system that allows enough flexibility but it is incredibility black and white. The other option would be to lock retirement to one transaction per off-season. So once you retire, you are retired until the next season. Once again, incredibility black and white, but lacks the flexibility to promote the league. The only concern I have is the moving parts there are, and the more accepting I try to make the systems and rules be, the more vulnerable the rules are to circumvention.

In regards to the specific situation mentioned in your original post, I can give you some answers and shed some light on some things. @Man-Bear-Pig can address any finer details since he handled these transactions while I was unavailable due to events at work.
    1. The league this season put out MASS PMs stating a HARD deadline for retiring and unretiring. That deadline was Jan 31st at 17:00
    2. It was determined that after that deadline a player who wanted to retire would be issued a ban, and a player who was retired cannot play this season.
    3. A previous site issue was changed for this off-season. As many players know, between bidding session the league always offers a 23 hour positional change window. The unfortunate thing was prior to this season the positional change tool and retirement tool was one in the same. That meant for that 23 hour period staff had to review the news feed hourly to ensure no player retired outside of the deadline. This season positional changes and retirement were separated allow us to control both windows independently.
    4. What occurred was, it was determined to push the original positional change deadline of Jan 31 to Feb 3rd, too allow for any last minute changes. Due to some miscommunication between league staff and site staff, the retirement window was allow moved to the 3rd as well which was NEVER intended to happen and actually was never changed on Xbox as well. That miscommunication is what allowed a handful of players the ability to sign back up, undetected by staff, and slip into NHL bidding.
    5. Once this issue was brought to the staff's attention, it was determined that the intent of the ruling and based on the information distributed to the community, anyone who was retired as of Jan 31st at 17:00, will remain retired even if he or she was able to sneak into NHL bidding. That was what resulted in a handful of players being removed from teams during this bidding session.
    I personally respect and understand the displeasure some team currently have right in regards to this ruling. Everyone is trying to be competitive which is exactly what I want for this league therefore emotions do get high. That has always been a part of hockey.

If there are concerns with how this ruling was applied consistently, please send a DM to myself and @PlusSizePounder for review.

I hope this post sheds some light on the depth Staff, Tris and I are going to, to ensure we correct issues and make the league as seemless as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks starting a discussion I can weigh in on Lazy.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  10. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    • Useful Useful x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  11. Lazy Pedestrian

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    @LG McDonald
    In regards to this:

"We also learned this very off-season that by us opening the S10 retirement window during the S9 playoffs, it caused a MAJOR roster issue when we flipped to Season 10. The issue was that a player who retired in S9, was NOT being removed from the S10 roster when the rosters were mirrored for the resign window but also not being removed when the rosters were cleared after the resign window."

Did you guys send out an alert to warn people that they were getting removed from rosters/bidding based on this issue?

Because I know I got removed randomly from Xbox bidding despite not being on Xbox last season and caught it with dipshit luck
    1. [​IMG]
      Season 32
      Lazy Pedestrian has signed up for season 32 of the LGHL as Position: Right Defense
      2019-02-01 08:13am
    2. [​IMG]
      Season 32
      Lazy Pedestrian has signed up for season 32 of the LGHL as Position: Right Defense
      2019-01-15 07:47am
    Had I not manually looked at the draft list, I would have been out of both Xbox & PSN bidding through no real fault of my own.

• Like Like x 1
    LazyPedestrian
  12. FrenchMoron

FrenchMoron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,056 / 70 / -198

Yeah I can't screenshot like you nerds, but I'm still confused as to why I wasn't in XBOX bidding this season. I signed up on like the 26th.

No Streaming Account
  13. FAYTAL FLOW

FAYTAL FLOW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 22 / -62
    Can you put me in CHL bidding atleast

No Streaming Account
  14. EbonyFetishz

EbonyFetishz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +147 / 9 / -18
    TL;DR

“Due to some miscommunication betweenleague staff and site staff, theretirement window was allow moved to the 3rd as well which was NEVERintended to happen and actually was never changed on Xbox as well. That miscommunication is what allowed a handful of players the ability to signback up, undetected by staff, and slipinto NHL bidding“

Nice so some “miscommunication” is what caused all this shit. Gj psn bogs.

No Streaming Account
  15. RageQuittin

RageQuittin Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ajjaffri#0
    Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -10
    Original thread was deleted, had posted in there. Having said that I'll post a quick version of my post.

Wasn't aware of the deadline. Retired AFTER the deadline passed and unretired after as well. Given the rules, the site shouldn't have allowed me to retire in the first place. I would have been fine with it rejecting my original action request if I knew the hard deadline was Jan 31st and had no issue playing, just thought I still had time to think about my final decision.

The ruling should have been looked at more carefully. I did not receive a response from Man-Bear-Pig after being notified that I was effectively removed from bidding. I explained that both actions were done after the deadline and no response. I'm not saying that it should have been definitively reversed, but at least a discussion could have been had while there was a still a reasonable time frame from the closing of my bid. Nothing.

Now that it's all said and done, it sounds like LG is going to correct the issue: ie, it will not allow either action after the deadline. That would be a good fix going into the next season.

DefNotAJ
  16. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    All manual adjustments are meant to be accompanied by a site PM from the BoG who handle that issue.

LeagueGamingOfficial
  17. FrenchMoron

FrenchMoron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,056 / 70 / -198
    That being said, on manual adjustment made on PSN, the PM should include a note saying it will affect your status on XBOX as well. Because we get no notification. Got removed from bidding on XB as well although I actually signed up on there days before the deadline. Was real confused.

No Streaming Account
  18. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    valid point

the removal system for both LGHL PSN - Xbox were linked a few seasons ago, I assume staff made the assumption everyone knew that

LeagueGamingOfficial
  19. Lazy Pedestrian

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    I never would have guessed that tbh

It makes sense for bans I guess but people often commit to 1 console over the other in offseasons.

• Informative Informative x 1
    LazyPedestrian
  20. Boz E Coyote

Boz E Coyote The Worst

Discord:
    bozzzzzz#0
    Ratings:
    +2,294 / 33 / -46
    Just look into automating these steps. It's not that hard to do (especially if they're all just php scripts with buttons to trigger them already). It will ensure that things happen when you expect them to and you can still build in manual overrides.