Debate will NHL ever be good again?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by GonzoArmstrong, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Will EA ever make a good NHL game again?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. I don't care. I'm going to throw my money at them regardless.

66 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. GonzoArmstrong

GonzoArmstrong Well-Known Member

Discord:
    GonzoArmstrong#4735
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 169 / -318
    Proceed.

• Troll Troll x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    xXxGonzoArmstrongxXx
  2. Vaporize 17

Vaporize 17 Clamps Island

Discord:
    T1 Clamps#5322
    Ratings:
    +830 / 21 / -48
    When people complain about tips but it happens IRL

• Like Like x 3
    In Diamond Dynasty
    Vaporize_17
  3. Pastahnak

Pastahnak The Most Talented Sieve

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 29 / -145
    Depends when we get the frostbite engine

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    Pastahnak
  4. nickyP1999

nickyP1999 I'm not superstitious but I am a little stitious.

Discord:
    NickyP#1999
    Ratings:
    +533 / 38 / -64
    If it happens next year that would be amazing.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    nickyP1999
  5. stammerchel

stammerchel Well-Known Member

Discord:
    stammerchel#8489
    Ratings:
    +281 / 5 / -29
    That would mean they’d sort of have to start from scratch. I’ve seen an interview of rammer and he said it’s basically like starting on a new console

stammerchel
  6. SpAmR1_hOpE4bEsT

SpAmR1_hOpE4bEsT Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SpamR1#6740
    BarrysBay we just friggen rip our sleds up here eh
    Ratings:
    +192 / 10 / -22
    They may as well start from scratch lol this years game cant get any worse.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    m88stoppa
  7. JDFRYE31

JDFRYE31 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    JDFRYE31#2381
    Ratings:
    +160 / 5 / -9
    This game is perfect, dont know what you guys are smoking

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. canuckftc12W

canuckftc12W Well-Known Member

Discord:
    canuckftc12W#5025
    Ratings:
    +605 / 29 / -68
    People liked whatever engine they had on old gen, they just started horribly with the Ignite engine and haven't been able to recover ever since. I'd say its possible for the game to be good on a newer engine if they get it right since they've made good games in the past. Personally I think NHL 19 on PS4 isn't bad at all gameplay wise though its far from perfect, its just there's no real incentive to play eashl as a gamemode and PS4just has no competition at all which makes it boring to play. Xbox has the competition, but 19 on Xbox is probably the worst NHL ever created.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Itsnucktime
  9. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    There’s nothing more redundant or predictable than people complaining about how broken any given game is, and how the developer is garbage.

1) If you hate the game and truly believe it’s broken, then don’t buy it! Of course, we know you’ll buy every subsequent iteration. What’s the thinking here?

2) It’s a zero sum game. Let’s say the game IS broken... it’s equally balanced in that you have the same advantages and disadvantages as your opponent based on the state of the software. Therefore, blaming EA for a play going against you is entirely illogical. I’m speaking strictly gameplay here, we all know the matchmaking and servers are comically bad.

3) I’m astonished by the number of people who complain about gameplay elements that are clearly deliberate and a part of actual hockey. It’s a game played on ice with a piece of rubber sliding and bouncing unpredictably. Tips happen! Bad bounces happen! The velocity of a pass may cause you to mishandle or miss that puck entirely! If you’re skating with too much momentum, you’ll overskate a loose puck! Can you imagine EA attempted to create an ACTUAL, physics-based simulation of hockey? Can you imagine How chaotic this would be? I challenge you to watch one SHIFT of a hockey game and count the number of times a player isn’t able to pick up a pass, or how many times the puck takes a bad bounce. The developers need to take liberties and design the best possible UX while maintaining the core of what hockey is and how games are played. From this perspective I argue that EA generally succeeds, with a high ceiling for growth in future installments. The integrity of what makes hockey hockey is baked into these games and improving year over year. Let’s also not forget that the NHL series has the fewest resources of all major sports game franchises.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    UseThePoint
  10. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    It’s always interesting to me when this comes up. Frostbite is an incredibly dated engine, and its gameplay effects are negligible. Frostbite improvements are almost exclusively cosmetic... you’ll get better crowd simulations, better player models, better ice and water simulation etc...

Tbh, I don’t think anyone would actually be eager to see Frostbite adopted knowing that its greatest feature = more dynamic crowds.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    UseThePoint
  11. Cahspxr

Cahspxr cowabunga

Discord:
    Nylander#4206
    Ratings:
    +316 / 21 / -26
    In the end it is a business. Speaking from opinion, the game is not fun. I understand and agree that NHL would be rather unplayable if they copy and pasted real life physics and expected people to enjoy it, however I am 99% sure they profited much more off past games where the in game physics were not as realistic as they are now. From a business and community standpoint the game has taken a substantial hit, the work they put in to emit realism is amazing though

• Creative Creative x 1
    vNylander
  12. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    Interesting, so would your preference be a return to a more arcade-style game? I feel like this is generally what people want given the common complaints. Personally I’d be very into this so long as it doesn’t skew too far in the direction of the current Arcade Threes modes.

UseThePoint
  13. Cahspxr

Cahspxr cowabunga

Discord:
    Nylander#4206
    Ratings:
    +316 / 21 / -26
    Yeah I would like it if they went back to the engine used on old gen. People say it is fairly unrealistic for them to start from scratch due to the minimal resources NHL has within the EA company, but if they continue going in this direction (ignoring the community, making minimal changes to other gamemodes besides HUT, etc..) they will either be forced to revert back to the previous engine, or they won't make enough money to fund the publications.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    vNylander
  14. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    Fair. I personally dig the game, with a handful of gripes, but I can’t help but think this is the perfect time for 2K to step in. The EA NHL community is, rightly or wrongly, increasingly frustrated, sales are waning, and the series is definitely becoming stagnant. I feel like a new 2K game could potentially dominate the market and allow them to become the quintessential NHL licensee. The skill-stick more or less killed 2K, and to be fair this was a phenomenal innovation from EA, but I’m keen to see what another developer can do. I know EA technically has the skill-stick layout patented, but surely another developer can iterate on this core idea. As much as I like skill-stick, it’s far from perfect.

Something like NBA2K, but an NHL game? This would be great. Maybe we just need an indie developer to come out with a basic, but refined, hockey game. For instance, look at The Golf Club... an amazing small-developer-produced game that was later picked up by 2K. Some of the guys at this studio contributed to the NHL franchise in its glory days at EA... maybe we should write some letters to HB Studios?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    UseThePoint
  15. Cahspxr

Cahspxr cowabunga

Discord:
    Nylander#4206
    Ratings:
    +316 / 21 / -26
    There isn't enough of a market for 2K to step back in and compete with EA, regardless of what us "competitive" players think, the casuals will still buy the game they know which is the EA franchise. Look at NBA Live by EA as an example, NBA 2K was amazing back in 15-16-17 similar to NHL, less and less people (In my opinion as I used to no life 2K and watch many YouTubers who no longer play) are playing and it is slowly dying in relation to the older games. That being said, the casuals will still buy 2K over NBA live due to 'what they know'. It is virtually the exact same situation as NHL, they added too much realism, if you want to shoot you will be slow and have no handles, if you want to be quick and have good handles you can't shoot, etc.. I am also pretty sure EA stopped producing live games up until NBA Live 18 due to the lack of sales, and still it is definitely inferior to the 2K game. All this being said, NBA still has double the fans NHL does. So realistically 2K will never make another NHL game

• Like Like x 1
    vNylander
  16. PR0D1GY 91

PR0D1GY 91 Kred is my twin

Discord:
    prod_19#0
    Ratings:
    +168 / 13 / -16
    Xbox doesn't get error codes

• Like Like x 1
    Prod_86
  17. Chaskin12

Chaskin12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 17 / -19
    Everyone who complains about any game is the same person that will complain about anything. The game is good get over it. People want to knit pick every little detail play the game how it was made or don’t at all. Majority of the time if I ever make a mistake it is my own doing so get better at game you won’t complain as much or exept the fact that you suck and move on

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Chaskin12
  18. matthuot87

matthuot87 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 231 / -441
    To start of let the 5G network getting operational with the 0.5 milisecond latency they expect wich mean we will get better online gameplay. West line and east line argument just fucking make it uninteresting to keep playing while you have shitters that only thing they think of if go there play on an unfair advantage most of their game on a competitive league then run their mouth about it. Let the next gen network fix that. Then getting a good game and a good competitive league could happen.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. zRobb-_-

zRobb-_- The Wayne Gretzky of sexual stuff

Ratings:
    +448 / 35 / -101
    This is the 2749482919472847th debate about this topic, and nothing has ever changed. Why even bother voting or arguing about it, when nothing will ever change.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    robshere
  20. Pastahnak

Pastahnak The Most Talented Sieve

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 29 / -145
    Uhh? The frostbite engine is 100% a better physics engine then ignite. If not the frostbite engine something that's better than ignite. I don't hate this game either, it's the best on current gen imo, using a garbage engine that all the other sports games have moved away from sucks

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Pastahnak