Debate will NHL ever be good again?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by GonzoArmstrong, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Will EA ever make a good NHL game again?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. I don't care. I'm going to throw my money at them regardless.

66 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    I think it’s worth calling out the fundamentally flawed hot takes out there about the state of the game.

UseThePoint
  2. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    Hahahah, dude the Frostbite engine has effectively zero impact on gameplay in something like the NHL series. The only game that’s moved to Frostbite in the sports segment is FIFA, and recently, Madden. All that Frostbite does for FIFA = better player models, lighting effects, and crowd sims. Frostbite is a shooter-built engine with very minimal effects in sports games. No doubt a shift to Frostbite would = cosmetic change, and I’m all here for that, but it’s a low priority on my end.

The actual gameplay/physics engine they’ve deployed for sports games is RPM, which NHL has.

• Winner Winner x 1
    UseThePoint
  3. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169
    I don’t think the question has been asked properly.

We can argue until we’re blue in the face if the game is good or not (it isn’t).

The question should be will NHL ever be ENJOYABALE again.

Because that’s the issue we are facing, if people not wanting to play the game in club or playing it outside of lg because it isn’t ENJOYABLE.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Primetimme1
  4. DYNOxMIKE

DYNOxMIKE NHL 10 Legend

Discord:
    Dyno Mike#9443
    Ratings:
    +1,178 / 42 / -125
    Im all for going back to a more arcadey feel, otherwise I’d rather them make the game as real as possible. This one was alright earlier in the year but like usual crapped itself in a few months.

• Like Like x 1
    DynoMike25
  5. Chonzzy

Chonzzy Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chonzzy#0
    Ratings:
    +266 / 4 / -9
    If ya don't like the game, don't buy the game. There is no bigger point made then to stop supporting the game if you're upset with it. But Im sure everyone will get hyped for NHL 20, enjoy the beta, then hate the game a month after release

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    It’s refreshing to see reasonable takes in here lol.

• Old Old x 1
    UseThePoint
  7. matthuot87

matthuot87 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 231 / -441
    An improvment of graphics needs better network to work well. Ps3 nhl games were acclaimed to be the best for EASHL and when you think about it running these games online with the need of less data on the same 4G network we still use now was making the game be faster and way more smooth. So frostbite engine will work very well after 5G network will be implemented.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. Anttzy-

Anttzy- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Chief#9925
    Ratings:
    +3,750 / 244 / -506
    Another one of Gonzo's pointless threads.

It's funny reading people bitch about a game they're going to continue to play and continue to buy the next installment. If you people are ACTUALLY that unhappy with the game then don't play it, don't support it. It's simple maths.

It's a video game, they all have their own faults. There are plenty of other games out there to keep you occupied. And if you want your hockey fix, then get off your fat asses and go play actual hockey.

k bye

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    zChieef
  9. GonzoArmstrong

GonzoArmstrong Well-Known Member

Discord:
    GonzoArmstrong#4735
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 169 / -318
    You act like EA isn't one of the most hated companies on the planet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    xXxGonzoArmstrongxXx
  10. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    EA is deservedly one of the most hated and they’ve run some incredibly questionable operations. This is beside the point though, I think EA is clearly horrible at the executive level.

UseThePoint
  11. KROFTONITE

KROFTONITE www.twitch.tv/KROFTO

Discord:
    KROFTO#8304
    Ratings:
    +904 / 3 / -31
    I didn't read most of the comments so I am sorry if this was already said but until there is a game developer who also makes an NHL game again that competes with EA, EA won't be pushed to enhance their game like they used to.

KROFTO
  12. Chaskin12

Chaskin12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 17 / -19
    I bet everyone who says this game sucks won’t take a picture of there disc broken and never touch the game again. Go complain to you’re mom about a game or shut up and play

• Winner Winner x 2
    Chaskin12
  13. Parihse

Parihse Friends call me P

Discord:
    Parihse#8419
    Ratings:
    +415 / 7 / -32
    NHL won't be great again until EA adds back in the features where you can dump people into benches with hits and break the glass with hits.

Enforcers need love too

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    parihse
  14. B-Bunny

B-Bunny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    I think them starting somewhat new on the next gen consoles will be a good thing. Because most of this gen has been a mess.

• Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. Foxnetsov

Foxnetsov Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Foxnetsov#6802
    Ratings:
    +247 / 19 / -45
    Only if they fix these issues and make the game cross platform

Releasing on PC would be nice too

• Like Like x 1
    Tendy_x
  16. WJP089

WJP089 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 60 / -178
    your* mom

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  17. tdk_95

tdk_95 Wannabe RD

Discord:
    TDK_95#8433
    Ratings:
    +373 / 7 / -2
    Okay, but here's the thing...pretty much all of us want to love this game, and will continue to buy it regardless of how "good" it is.

Stop buying HUT packs. Never buy a HUT Pack. Don't buy HUT Packs. In fact, play Versus, not HUT.

Disenfranchisement with their base is at an all-time low. So what do they do? Move their figurehead competitive event to their P2W game mode and let the people who will actually spend hundreds of dollars on this game no matter what spend, spend, spend. And you know what? I think it's working. And that's scary.

You know what's really going to push innovation in this series? When loot crates get banned, and EA is going to determine success solely on how many $60 dollar copies they sell of their exclusive franchise. Either that...or they'll kill it. They'll kill the whole game. Don't think they won't. They did it with baseball. They did it with basketball. They'll do it with hockey.

TDK95
  18. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    EA stopped making basketball games? Or are you referring to when they shifted operations to a different development team for the Live series? Generally agree with everything here, but EA stopped making MLB games because of an exclusive license which effectively allowed Take Two to monopolize the space making MLB games synonymous with PlayStation.

UseThePoint
  19. tdk_95

tdk_95 Wannabe RD

Discord:
    TDK_95#8433
    Ratings:
    +373 / 7 / -2
    I meant when they did it back in the day with the Live series. I was merely suggesting that they're not afraid to kill off main line sports franchises.

I'd be interested to know the terms of the agreement with the MLB because, surely, if EA wanted to throw money at buying the license exclusively themselves they could have. They did it with Madden. And in a scenario where 2K did come out with a hockey game, I could see them buying out an exclusive license with the NHL.

TDK95
  20. DodgesBlueShells

Ratings:
    +120 / 19 / -33
    I believe they can currently develop MLB titles, but once you're out of the game for several years I can understand why they wouldn't re-enter that space.

To your earlier point, I would love to see EA really prioritize a handful of modes and features as opposed to spreading the offering across many average offline and online modes. My big issue here is that it spreads a fairly small community too thin. I think it's highly unlikely EA would exit the NHL market unless 2K or some other developer came in with a far superior product. Being the sole owners of the license is way too valuable, in that they aren't paying for exclusivity but have the market monopolized regardless.

Look at it this way. A bad sales year for the NHL franchise = 700-750,000 physical and digital units. That's about $40M-$50M in revenue, and well over $60M in the years where sales skew closer to one million units. The cost to develop an iterative sports title, inclusive of salaries, is anywhere from $10M-$15M, likely less for the NHL franchise. That's a huge margin, even in a bad year. Then consider that EA Vancouver is home to several major franchises that basically subsidize one another whenever a title has a bad year - FIFA, NHL, UFC etc are all developed out of this office. I think this is why you don't see 2K developing a competitive game, because though I think it would sell incredibly well in year one, they don't have the infrastructure to support the iterative model that EA deploys. That being said, perhaps 2K would find success if they launched an NHL game with the next gen, and basically followed the seasonal model. Yes, this would mean a bunch of microtransactions or some sort fo subscription, but I think it's a reasonable way for a competitor to successfully compete in a fairly niche market.

• Like Like x 1
    UseThePoint