Stanley Cup Champion Edmonton Oilers: A Historic Season in Review

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by GrizGoal, Sep 6, 2019.

1. GrizGoal

GrizGoal Esports Commentary

Discord:
    Griz#1745
    Ratings:
    +525 / 22 / -36
    Congratulations to @NINETY ElGHT , @jared2112 , and @iTz x Luigi x on a historic championship run. What a well deserved Stanley Cup!

Where do I begin. Let's take a step back and look at how this high caliber team came together. The outstanding management trio of Jared, NINETY EIGHT and Luigi made moves spanning multiple seasons to bring the cup to Edmonton. I'll start with moves made in S32 to acquire core players.

In S32 this team drafted @Heroiism98 in the 3rd round 75th overall giving them a dominant forward for 2 seasons at 750k. Heroiism would go on to enjoy a 33-17-2 regular season record over his two seasons with the Oilers, including a 9-1-1 overall playoff record. Hero went 6-0, 9 goals 2 assists during his S33 playoff run that landed him a championship.

This management team made blockbuster moves to acquire two lottery picks in the draft heading into S33. Acquiring two top picks in the draft wasn't enough for these guys as they traded Gary Garoo in a 1 for 1 for @Ix Lutvi xI. Lutvi would help bolster a defense already containing Luigi, @FlowMaster Joe and @Remi l9l. Lutvi went on to go 42-6-1 with the Avs/Oilers, including a 25-2 regular season S33, followed by a 6-1 playoff run. Lutvi would also go on to score the two biggest goals of the Oilers cup run, scoring an OT series clinching thriller against the Anaheim Ducks, and then scoring the Stanley Cup game winning goal in the 2nd period of game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Management also moved a 1st round pick and Chipy to acquire @KovaIchuk x 17, who would wind up being a critical chemistry piece for S33 as the Oilers united Kovie with Heros ESHL linemate Beaudy. Kovie had a breakout season alongside Beaudy in S33, boasting a 23-3-0, 61 point regular season, and 5-1-0, 10 point playoff performance.

Alongside management 98 and Luigi, the other core pieces the Oilers returned for S33 included @TacTic MaRio who went 5-1-0 on the cup run in playoffs (signed 2S 500k deal in S32), and @Ksw who enjoyed a 6-0-0 cup run in playoffs (originally traded for in S31, won in bidding at 2 mil in S32 and resigned at 2.5 mil for S33).

Fast forward to the start of S33. The draft picks the Oilers traded for the season prior were about to pay off. They received picks #2 and #4 in the lottery, and used the 4th pick to move up to number 3 prior to the start of the draft. The Oilers also moved @Nifty for a pick and Top Shelf Cookie, a move that would come into play later.

With the 2nd overall pick the Oilers selected @Doughty x I8I, the defenseman who pushed the Oilers already top defensive unit to a new level. Doughty had incredible success his first LGHL season, going 17-5-1 with 34 points in the regular season. Doughty really showed his worth in playoffs, where he went 6-0, with 10 points, +12, 2:00 PIMs, and 3 goals allowed in 6 games.

The 3rd overall pick also held something truly special for this Oilers team destined to make history. @Beaudy x 91 fell into their lap coming off of two exemplary chl seasons. Beaudy went 24-3-0 with 69 points and a +47 in the regular season, earning the Calder trophy for being identified as the player that was most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League. Beaudy was also proficient in playoffs, going 5-1 with 11 points, including 2-0 with 6 points in the finals.

With the draft behind them the Oiler's set their sights on bidding. @jared2112 took over ownership from @NINETY ElGHT in an effort to save cap. This move paid off as the Oilers won 98 in bidding for 6 mil, a lower price than Jared would have gone for. The Oilers also won @ToppestOfTops for 6 mil, @jackD00P for 750k, @Corey Crow I50I for 2 mil, and a pair of stud goalies in @Dekepedia for 750k, and @x Welsh 16 for 500k.

These goalies proved their worth this season as Deke put up a tremendous 34-6-2 record with an 85.6% save percentage and 1.4 GAA in the regular season. Deke went 5-2 with an 85.2% save percentage and 1.7 GAA in playoffs. Welsh played lights out with a 21-6-2 record, 85.2% save percentage and 1.59 GAA in the regular season. Welsh found another gear in playoffs as he went 11-0, and record setting 92.3% save percentage and 0.58 GAA, playoff records that likely will never be broken.

Bidding left the Oilers organization just a few pieces away from the roster that would end up running away with the S33 Stanley Cup. Sacrifices had to be made for the Oilers to win the cup and that came way of moving @Corey Crow I50I, @jackD00P, and Top Shelf Cookie. Corey and Cookie were each turned into 1sts that were used in a blockbuster move in addition to jack to acquire top tier talent in @R0tes. Moving these players allowed the Oilers to solidify a west coast line that would go 6-0 in playoffs, giving up only 3 goals in those 6 games. The R0tes blockbuster all but guarenteed the Oilers taking it all.

PLAYOFFS!
    Round 1
    Edmonton Oilers vs Arizona Coyotes
    The Oilers breezed past the yotes in round 1, sweeping them. The Oilers gave up just 6 goals this series in four games, taking game 1 by a score of 3-2, game 2 by a score of 4-1, game 3 by a score of 3-1, and game 4 by a score of 2-1.

Quarter Finals!
    Edmonton Oilers vs Anaheim Ducks
    This management team would finally get over the hump that was the Anaheim Ducks in S33 by defeating them in 5 games. The Oilers started things off hot by taking a 2-0 series lead shutting the Ducks out 3-0 and 2-0. Game 3 would have the Ducks shutting the Oilers out 3-0, the game in playoffs the Oilers failed to find the back of the net. Game 4 the Oilers would bounce back with a 4-1 win, and game 5 had the Oilers come out with their second straight 2-1 series clinching victory, as they won game 4 of the last series 2-1.

Semi Finals!
    Edmonton Oilers vs San Jose Sharks
    The Oilers would take on the 7th seed San Jose Sharks in the Western Conference Finals. Even though the Sharks were coming off two impressive upsets knocking out 2nd seed St Louis Blues and 4th seed Winnipeg Jets, the Oilers simply overpowered them. The Oilers won their second straight series in 5 games, with a similar pattern. The Oilers won games 1 and 2, lost game 3, and bounced back games 4 and 5 to punch their ticket to the Stanley Cup Final.

Stnaley Cup Finals
    Edmonton Oilers vs Tampa Bay Lightning
    With the Stanley Cup on the line, the Oilers came out with killer instinct. The Oilers shut out Tampa in games 1 and 2, by scores of 1-0 and 4-0. With the 2-0 series lead the Oilers would keep their foot on the gas, winning games 3 and 4 both by scores of 2-1 to send Lord Stanley back to Edmonton.

The Oilers finished this cup run giving up 19 goals in 18 games, a win percentage of 88.9%, a goal differential of +25, and TOA difference of 37:28.

*Special Note* Since I didn't know where else to fit this in @Remi l9l steps away from 98 & Jared with a playoff record of 23-2-1, including an 8-0 effort during the cup run. Best of luck moving onto Seattle!

Below you will find the Oiler's cup clinching goal followed by their Stanley Cup celebration. What a historic season for one of the best teams to ever be assembled in LG.

• Like x 11
    • Winner x 8
    • Get Good x 4
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    Grizgoal
  2. Beaudy x 91

Beaudy x 91 Remember me Yungbuzzz91

Discord:
    beaudyx91#0
    Ratings:
    +141 / 41 / -42
    Great work and cup check babyyyy

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Remi l9l

Remi l9l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +365 / 39 / -25
    Best team ever and good job Griz

• Winner Winner x 4
    Remiaszl9l
  4. GrizGoal

Discord:
    Griz#1745
    Ratings:
    +525 / 22 / -36
    You were pretty adament when you reiterated "EVER" haha

Grizgoal
  5. MAGZ I3I

MAGZ I3I Well-Known Member

Discord:
    magz_3#0
    Ratings:
    +345 / 1 / -11
    Great run, was fun watching the streams.

No Streaming Account
  6. TwitchBiLL3Y

TwitchBiLL3Y TwitchBiLL3Y

Discord:
    TwitchBiLL3Y#2185
    Ratings:
    +390 / 64 / -97
    Solid all around team! Well deserved

BiLL3Y
  7. KovaIchuk x 17

KovaIchuk x 17 The real one !!!

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -21
    Nice video but i dont see @ToppestOfTops me and couple player in the team

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. GrizGoal

Discord:
    Griz#1745
    Ratings:
    +525 / 22 / -36
    All 17 guys from both teams are in there. Just gotta look hard enough. Toppest is #61 red hair red beard, you can see him coming off the bench. You're in the back of the celebration pile, little hard to see, #17 with the Jagr mullet.

• Like Like x 2
    Grizgoal
  9. o domski o

o domski o o Domski o

Ratings:
    +169 / 3 / -5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    No Streaming Account
  10. Mr WorldWlde 69

Mr WorldWlde 69 LG Mcdonald is the best!

Discord:
    Mr WorldWlde 69#5585
    Ratings:
    +2,300 / 563 / -1,177
    Get this man in your organization @Remi l9l he just wants to be apart of the boys

No Streaming Account