Media Has LGHL become Stale

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweetLou9208, Dec 18, 2019.

?

Has LGHL become stale?

1. Yes

68.6%
  2. No

31.4%
  1. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    PLEASE PITCH IDEAS FOR IMPROVEMENTS BELOW

We are now approaching the 18th Season since the infamous S17 "The Merger" (aka the real start of LG) bc of the LeagueArena.com collapse. @Tris10 and @LG McDonald have done a fantastic job taking over for LeagueArena and making LGHL a million times better while growing the league beyond what anyone could have imagined and even bringing in sponsors for esports for free entry tournaments with money prizes. That being said we are about to enter the 18th season of LGHL and we have seen many players come and go over the season and many ups and downs with the league, the players, the staff and mainly the games itself. Through it all though the leagues has roughly remained the same for the most part always seeming to come out on top, which is why changes seem to be few and far between bc "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

30-32 NHL Teams

17 rostered players (3 lines)
    12 FWDs
    6 Dmen
    2 Goalies

82 games, 9 games a week (1 10 game week) (except old shortened summer seasons)

BIDDING
    Owner (Free)
    General Manager (Free)
    Assistant General Manager (bidding, set salary a couple times)
    35M SALARY CAP

LGHL DRAFT; 3-4 Rounds (eligible players only people who are not Vs or As and only from the CHL, unfortunately no AHL players)
    DP Contracts have changed over the yr
    2M
    1.5M
    1M

Those are basically the set in stone things over the years that have seen the site grow to what it is today and the league become the fun and competitive atmosphere we all join and sign up for each season. The league started out (from the merger) with a NHL/AHL/CHL, adding more CHL teams over the season and then a couple years ago adding a PSN league effectively doubling the size of the league in just a few months.

Over the years many people wanted more ways to compete than 3 games a week and wanted ways to get on teams with their buddies (since club became somewhat meaningless bc league took over) so we were able to come together and form ProSeries/Esports/ESHL. This gave people a place to play and compete at the highest level. Many thought this would become the standard for LG and the main focus with the league being 2nd behind it. Many people said they were going to quit LG and only play esports with the hopes that this would become to norm so there would be more competition and less headaches that come with LGHL teams, but LG withstood that test as the numbers for Esports were not nearly as high as LGHL bc well people just couldn't compete, didn't have teams or didn't know people to create or get on a team.

Many argued well LGHL is the way to get known and find people to play with and then when you find the right group you transition to ESHL which a few have done pretty successfully but still people remained playing both instead of one or the other bc well, you can fit it in pretty easily, especially with the new schedule made so everyone can play both.

18 seasons of roughly the same format coupled with the number of sign ups, tainted playoff wins/cups (cheating/2nd tagging/tag sharing/Forfeits/game overturns after being played) for LGHL and a RECORD high (72 Bans LGNHL) (over 4 FULL NHL rostered teams worth) brought up the question: IS LGHL BECOMING STALE?

If so, what are some ideas to freshen things up but maintain the integrity and competitiveness of the league that we all love?

IDEAS THAT HAVE BEEN PITCHED OVER THE YEARS
    1.) 2 Line League

2.) Less teams (20)

3.) 10 game weeks, 1 line eligible for 4 games each week

4.) 4 line league

5.) Get rid of bidding and do a draft each szn

6.) Owner/GM/AGM free

7.) Owner/GM/AGM 1FWD/1DEF/1G all free

8.) Owner only free contract, everyone else in bidding

9.) Min salary increase from 500K to 1M

10.) All AHL and CHL players from previous szn go into the draft (AHL mgmt. must be chosen from the draft or after the draft from players left over)

11.) Bidding every szn (no multi yr contracts or resigns)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Dumb x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  2. Eamonn

Eamonn Well-Known Member

Discord:
    eamonn#0602
    Ratings:
    +1,093 / 17 / -68
    2 line NHL (not AHL/CHL) would be cool as it'd have a nice trickle down effect increasing the talent in the lower leagues. You'd have to reduce the games per week though I'd think.

9 weeks
    8 games per week
    4 games per line
    72 game season

Not sure LG would want to do this though as it removes one of the realism elements.

I don't think another free contract should be added. 2 is enough. 3 just reduces the amount of good management in the league. Even if 80% of these 3rd free contract people wouldn't want to manage in a 2 free contract situation, you'd still be losing 20%. Already enough bad owners. Although in a 2 line league 3 free contracts could work.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    eamonnjcf
  3. ChiSouthSiderr

ChiSouthSiderr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    I think resigns should go away, it creates superteams. Roster reset every season would be more fun imo.

• Get Good Get Good x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  4. l Doughty l

l Doughty l Jeremy

Discord:
    Doughty#9625
    Ratings:
    +456 / 27 / -57
    Bring bing paid AGM ( free contract ). I feel it’d make the league even more competitive than it already is as 3 good players can own and manage a team and that third free player can create more depth for each team, without having to pay an enormous amount of cap. Amount of teams in the league are fine as it is, I actually think that a draft as opposed to bidding would be interesting, but players wouldn’t be able to have their friends get them or even have a shot at it because it’ll all be based on that individual’s skill/tier which is where they’d be drafted as opposed to in bidding everyone can actually all have a chomp at the bit.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    Doughtyy_NHL
  5. meka DVA meka

meka DVA meka Bring Load Management To LG

Ratings:
    +3,475 / 92 / -197
    2 line league for the nhl would be something to look at

• Like Like x 3
    Nybarisny
  6. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    lou posted this in a PSN chatbox so I assume it's not just Xbox

2 line rosters is long overdue on PSN for sure. Too many guys who'd be 3rd liners just sign up late to be big fish in a small AHL pond rather than grind out 3rd line hockey.

I think we should consider shortening the season as well. 9 weeks is a long ass time. Almost every good team I've been on has had at least 1 line implode because guys just got sick of each other after 9 weeks (+ playoffs)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    LazyPedestrian
  7. GuruGreg x79

GuruGreg x79 Umm.....

Discord:
    GuruGreg x79#5238
    Ratings:
    +702 / 12 / -50
    Probably a different perspective, having been a PSN CHL owner for 4 seasons now, but I'd have the following suggestions for LG in general:
    • Focus on Hockey - The other sports are fine, but only get the die-hards involved. Leave them to other sites/leagues.
    • Strike a Happy Medium Between LGHL and EASHL - I think there are a lot of guys in LGHL who just want to play with their buddies, but may be CHL or AHL level talent. Instead of leaving them as LGHL the only option, expand EASHL (to both platforms) and add a tiered promotion/relegation system. Like the Swiss tourney format in the capsgaming tournament, it will naturally sort teams into the right league. That may make the pool for LGHL smaller overall, but with a more dedicated group.
    • Add Re-Bidding on Waivers - If a guy clears waivers, don't randomly assign them, but allow them to be bid on. When someone gets a late AHL bid, only to be immediately demoted, a random team gets a win of a guy who should be high-priced at a min contract.
    • Pro-Rate Contracts - Penalize owners who try to dump bad contracts (waived or traded) should be penalized for getting rid of them, just like in real leagues. This should deter owners from overbidding on players. However, I would not apply this penalty to teams who had players banned.
    I could probably think of more, but those are my initial thoughts.

GuruGreg79
  8. Crankov

Crankov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 22 / -61
    Add more contract yrs for each season. Way more.

Be more strict on quitters. Cap bans and site bans for quitters.

No more letting quitters play esports.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account
  9. Eamonn

Eamonn Well-Known Member

Discord:
    eamonn#0602
    Ratings:
    +1,093 / 17 / -68
    If LG wanted to keep some realism to their scheduling they could maybe try out a lock-out shortened season. 5 weeks, 9/10 games per week, 48 total games (ala 2012-13 NHL season). Could squeeze an extra season or two per year of the game. Less of a commitment for players/management = more players possibly?

• Creative Creative x 1
    eamonnjcf
  10. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    Or With 3 lines:
    3sun/3mon/3tue/3wed = Week 1-6 (72gp)
    Week 7 = 10gp

Cut out 2 weeks of the season

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    LazyPedestrian
  11. RGDeded

RGDeded Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 47 / -134
    Its not a matter of the league being stale or needing to add competition or remove lines. The league is "stale" because we have incompetent mgmt, players only want to play on contenders, we have caps gaming and eshl where those players can chose who they want to play with. We need something to make the league more exciting and thats why I do media to add talking pieces and add some fun to the league

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    ReallyGooodDad
  12. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    Cut it down to 2 lines or keep the same 3 lines but cut it down to 22 teams.

There’s too many current players who clearly do not belong. Every season there’s a few absolutely atrocious teams.

I’ve had three times this season in which the other team forfeited. Two of those times the team told us there was no reason to play because they would get destroyed. The third time was against known “nub bashers” who saw @Odieeeeee in the game and got nervous.

Point is, cut the amount of people down at the NHL level for a better experience for everyone. The bad players who constantly get destroyed at the NHL level move down to where they properly belong and the good players who want a more competitive environment get just that.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. Markz51

Markz51 Don't Hassle Me. I'm Local.

Discord:
    markz_51#0
    Ratings:
    +702 / 11 / -21
    I think the league feels stale because season after season we give too much power to the players. It is starting to feel like the NBA. Lot of guys think they are Lebron and can dictate where and with who they play. On top of that, the amount of tampering, 2nd tagging, and overall rule breaking just shows how little integrity some people have for what's supposed to be a fun and free video game league. And honestly I'm not sure there is a way to change bad online human behavior without real life accountability.

To touch on the 2 line NHL rosters, I don't think it is a bad idea. Most teams just build a sui 3rd line anyway and those fringe NHL/AHL guys turn out being pawns on the wrong side of a stat-padding game.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    Markz_51
  14. Saucing Pucks

Saucing Pucks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +604 / 16 / -21
    Get rid of ShortyxLoser

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Foote

Foote Well-Known Member

Discord:
    charlesamb#0
    Ratings:
    +780 / 20 / -111
    2 line league seems to be a good short term solution. Too many games where teams just get absolutely shit on 13-0 for example.

5/4 game split between the two lines and you’d probably see much better games.

One of the main draws of LGHL is the simulation aspect (yes we prematurely added Seattle to make scheduling easier), so I wouldn’t recommend losing the amount of teams.

• Useful Useful x 1
    footenhl
  16. ScooTz-10

ScooTz-10 ScooTz#5149

Discord:
    ScooTz#5149
    Ratings:
    +1,263 / 75 / -193
    bidding every season no multi year contracts but u can resign an (x) number every season and u can only resign a max of (Y) times

• Creative Creative x 1
    scootz10
  17. BKGuapo

BKGuapo Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bkguapo#0
    Ratings:
    +253 / 73 / -57
    You want the league to be more competitive, get rid of the free contracts which benefit a handful of teams right off the bat.

You have half the league with no chance to compete immediately based on skills of management with the free contract.

If you can find a way to put an average of a players history of bidding price on GM's / Owners rather than making everyone free it would even the playing field

• Like Like x 9
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. BKGuapo

BKGuapo Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bkguapo#0
    Ratings:
    +253 / 73 / -57
    You don't need to completely change the league structure, just spread the talent. 2 Lesser skilled owners shouldn't cost the same as 2 top skilled owners, you're giving teams an extra 1st line

• Like Like x 4
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. Portcenter

Portcenter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 4 / -12
    2 line league , 1 owner ( free contract )
    6 game week ( 3 monday, 3 tuesday )
    48 game season ( 8 weeks ) this way if yout team is still shit ur not stuck playing with them for so long .

But all in all the league is honestly great, found so much better players and cool people playing in this league, happy i finally joined in NHL19 .

• Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    porter53
  20. A Salty SaiIor

A Salty SaiIor Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Salty#8634
    Ratings:
    +2,026 / 48 / -76

I agree with you in the sense that some players don't belong in the NHL but as far as the competitiveness goes that wouldn't be an issue if everyone didn't have an ego and just played where they ended up instead of complaining about where they don't wanna play. That's why you have bad teams in the NHL because the "good" players don't and won't play for those "owners" therefore they don't bid on those players and bid on the people who you said don't belong. I owned in s30, I didn't have the luxury of bidding on top talent because the stigma is that they'll just quit rather then play for me. So why am I going to waste my time bidding on someone that's going to quit and put me in a hole come week 1? When the "ego's" learn to play where they end up because you signed up for bidding which makes you at risk for 31 teams but you only wanna go to 4 or you'll quit that's when the competitive balance will make the league fun again.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 8
    No Streaming Account