Media Has LGHL become Stale

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweetLou9208, Dec 18, 2019.

?

Has LGHL become stale?

1. Yes

68.6%
  2. No

31.4%
  1. HowToFIFA8

HowToFIFA8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    zee0886#0
    Ratings:
    +438 / 160 / -143
    EA should be integrating LGHL directly onto the game itself. When ESHL or LGHL games are being played it should show them on the main screen of NHL 20 and give you the option to watch the feed in real time, allowing all NHL 20 players (casual or competitive) to watch the best players and become curious as to how they can sign up for it. There should be an "LG" tab literally built into the game where the brackets, teams, rosters, player stats, etc can all be seen from all NHL 20 players. This would add to the competitiveness of the league and most likely make competitive HUT-only players want to join the league.

Why this won't happen: EA as a company is short sighted and thinks only in terms of net profit margin.

The bottom line is NHL does not have the player-base of FIFA and never will. However, the players who do play NHL are extremely loyal and I'm sure the game has a great player retention ratio. It would seem to me that these loyal players would be willing to pay to play competitively, and if EA put up some sponsorship money and hosted PAID tournaments then they'd make their money back and then some. For example if EA hosted a 10k tournament (sponsorship $ not EA $ ) where the fee to have a team sign up was $100 I'd imagine they'd turn out pretty well.

• Like x 13
    • Winner x 10
    • Informative x 3
    • Troll x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    GTA Online
    No Streaming Account
  2. HowToFIFA8

HowToFIFA8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    zee0886#0
    Ratings:
    +438 / 160 / -143
    To add to that, the main page showing LG feeds would show Davos' beautiful face casting games by default, this would finally allow this guy to get the viewership he deserves (at least in the thousands if not tens of thousands). Also instead of asking teams to put up $100 it might be more competitive and make more sense to hold a draft for these tournaments with a $20 sign up fee per player and $50-100 fee for owners.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    GTA Online
    No Streaming Account
  3. Kiroxy4320

Kiroxy4320 Warning Group

Discord:
    Kiroxy#8894
    Ratings:
    +863 / 38 / -28
    Management Selection Pool

Instead of management hopefuls only applying for the league they wish to manage in. Lets just have anyone who is interested in owning a team on LG apply. Each owner must have a GM selected and listed. Then LG staff goes through all applications and places each management team in the league they see fit. This creates the possibility of balance amongst management teams in all leagues. It gets rid of dodging through managing, meaning one less management team space filled by someone who isn't quite ready to take on the NHL as a free contract Owner, and it trickles down and does the same for the AHL.

For NHL Management teams to select their AHL management

Once the NHL management teams are selected, they then have a few days to contact and agree with a management team selected for the AHL to be said NHL teams AHL management. Then the remaining management teams are slated for the CHL.

-----

I'd also like to see the draft changed, it becomes more and more stale each season. Maybe it's the 4 rounds EVERY single season with a depleting CHL talent group, it's just naturally going to become less populated by NHL quality talent and has become more so an AHL draft at this point, outside MAYBE the top 5-10 picks. I can see either of the next 2 options being viable to bring back excitement to the draft.

1 - I like the idea of being able to draft AHLers from the previous season, so long as they were either coming off their DP contract, or have not been in the NHL in seasons past. (With maybe the exception of position changes, even though this could be hard for LG to track). However, this also allows for those drafted originally for AHL purposes to "Develop" and then be redrafted in the NHL. It also avoids from having someone who spent 2 DP season in the AHL from going for an overpriced amount in NHL bidding, following their DP contract.

2 - Prospect Draft and Amatuer draft. This is based on player status. We do 2 rounds for prospects, same as the current draft, minus 2 rounds. 1st round picks are 1 Mil. 2nd Round is 500 K. Then following the prospect draft, we move on to a 2 round Amatuer draft. 1st round picks are 2 Mil and 2nd round picks are 1 Mil. We can keep draft picks trading the same, however the original 1st and 2nd round picks belong to the Amatuer draft, while the 3rd and 4th rounds are for the prospect draft. With that said, would probably be best to do the Amatuer draft then followed by the Prospect draft. WIth this, I'd also raise the required amount of AHL games to gain Vet status, while also finding a way to depict between ECU games and rostered games in the NHL. Instead of the current system to become vet status via NHL games, if we can depict between rostered games and ECU games, then we can say X amount of rostered games grants vet status, while either ECU games don't count towards this, or a higher numbered of ECU'd games grants Vet status.

TL;DR
    Management teams in appropriate leagues by LG staff

Change the draft.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Kiroxy
  4. Kiroxy4320

Kiroxy4320 Warning Group

Discord:
    Kiroxy#8894
    Ratings:
    +863 / 38 / -28
    As for EA. Someone needs to explain to them that the casual NHLers who play this game for a few months a year, or randomly throughout the year, do not need to be catered to, so they can match the skill of those who play this game year round.

NHL is starting to take major strides in the competitive 6s market and it can't be held back by the needs of those who play this game a fraction of the amount of time, the ESHL players put into this game. People grind this game to get better, and it becomes a spit in the face by NHL when they release a patch, reducing the skill gap, that said player has spent so much time trying to overcome or widen.

If EA can separate the casual focus on patches from the competitive focus, and allow for the competitive market to strive. Then we can finally see 6s grow to what it could be. After this last patch, ESHL and Caps tourney games became stale to watch. Something, that matters way more than a lot may understand, is that as much as eSports is a competitive event, it's also a spectators event. And when something becomes stale to watch (ie CoD) it begins to lose it's eSports value. That's why we see games like League of Legends, Overwatch, and Counterstrike strive in the eSports market. It's geared towards the competitive community, and the watchability of these games is generally much higher than others.

• Like Like x 4
    Kiroxy
  5. AZDvo

AZDvo Rocket Winner and #1 Ranked Player in Arizona.

Ratings:
    +1,666 / 27 / -48
    LG is in a fine place, it feels stale because the game is stale (however improving) skill gap is not even close to what it use be post merge on old gen. I remember being amazed watching guys like Kody, Bradley and Vaporiz in 6s lobbies just clowning guys with quick twitch thumbs. I remember verbally demolishing nubs for shooting turds now its a legitimate play...

• Like x 6
    • Get Good x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. Crankov

Crankov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 22 / -61
    I got a drastic change idea.

make a 20 team KHL league. Completely independent of nhl and ahl. But you can only play in one league. 20 team league of 2 lines that sort of follow lg rules which are in place. Just an idea but they can obviously change rules to their liking to get it going.

there would be a place where the top guys can go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    This is basically ESHL except, they play for prizes, and the league has a bunch more random teams who don't stand a chance at competing. If you took 240 "top" NHLers out of the league for this KHL (I'm assuming 12 man rosters) the rest of the league would suffer.

Just adding onto your idea here, I don't think it ever would or even should happen (because it wouldn't be very similar to the real life NHL), but I'll throw it out anyway. You could shorten the number of NHL teams to 20 for the "top" players and have a 20 team "KHL" or whatever you'd want to call it for the fringe NHLers. You'd keep the AHL and CHL as they are now and assign those players as TCs to the "KHL" roster. This would be a huge and unrealistic change, but it would make more sense then just adding a completely separate league and draining the talent pool imo.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    bossy_22_
  8. Crankov

Crankov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 22 / -61
    well isn’t that what top guys are asking? To play with guys their level. Should be able to get 20 good owners in their eyes. Then the nhl will just fill up with ahl guy and the ahl with chl guys.

it’s not really eshl. They won’t make their own teams. They would do the whole bidding and same rules as lg. It wouldn’t really change anything but add a new league and move guys up.

that’s why I said drastic change.

No Streaming Account
  9. Too Much Twoco

Too Much Twoco Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Too Much Twoco#2520
    Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -17
    I think the 2 line thing is a bad idea. It basically ensures that virtually no new guys crack the NHL level. There are already guys in the A and even C that are better than some NHL guys but friends bid on each other. If you think removing the 3rd line fixes it, I would argue you are wrong and with only 2 lines each of those situations is much worse. Which leads to the main issue...

FIX THE MANAGEMENT ISSUE!

We have requirement restrictions in the CHL that limits guys that are too good from owning, but we need something that prevents people who are too bad from owning in the NHL. If they exist, they aren’t strict enough.

i don’t care if it seems a little cold. It’s the top league on the top competitive hockey site. If you are a 3rd liner or more likely an AHLer, then YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OWN. The community could come up with the criteria but there are 2 owners I can think of that owned for years and never have had winning seasons. And there were at least 2 last season that shouldn’t have been able to own based on what they have or haven’t done at NHL level.

Fix the management issue to ensure the NHL has all quality management who knows what they are doing and you will have more balanced rosters overall and less cancer, is and less ECU lines.

The bottomline is we get a PM every season saying how serious management roles need to be taken but there isn’t enough being done to ensure skilled managers are selected. We got to find a way to make it more approachable for players. It will help balance competition.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. Markz51

Markz51 Don't Hassle Me. I'm Local.

Discord:
    markz_51#0
    Ratings:
    +702 / 11 / -21
    I think there are plenty of people who would be considered top quality managers based on experience, personality, skill level, and competency. However, some members of the community make it so toxic for a manager that many of them have been driven away. Bottom line is i dont think the players deserve them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Markz_51
  11. Too Much Twoco

Too Much Twoco Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Too Much Twoco#2520
    Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -17

I agree with this. The current LG mentality is more so “I don’t want to manage. Player A can manage and if I don’t get on his team or a top team, I’ll try and ego my way there”

not everybody is like that but far too many are sadly.

At the very least, it would be nice to have an algorithm, criteria, etc as a way to populate a list of people who could be a owner. See if you can fill the owners pool solely with those players prior to allowing others (even if they are regular managers) to own

I don’t know the right answer but bottomline is I think more attention needs to be given to finding a way to make management quality more balanced. Inevitably there are at least 2 owners every season where as soon as people end up on the team, they try and get off the team. Being “the nice guy” just ensures you stay on the team cause you actually show up, and so people gravitate towards the cancerous attitude since it works to get them off bad team

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    There's no simple solution. Bottom line is that regardless of how good of a group of managers you believe you have... There will always be good teams, bad teams, and teams who fall flat on their faces. People would've expected a Sitful/Jemima management duo to be a good team, and they fell on their faces.

The main thing that LG should be looking to do is avoiding management duos like we had with Minnesota this season. The current system really has nothing that can avoid that. Management tests like they have in the CHL wouldn't do anything to prevent this, and the 5 minute Xbox/PSN interviews in party chat don't do much to reveal the character of the managers.

Only thing I can really think of would be similar to the "Rate Your Professor" thing that kids do for their classes. In this case it would be rating your managers, you'd rate them on how much you enjoyed playing for them, how well you felt they knew the rules, how their attitude was, did they do their best to put you and everyone else in a position to succeed, etc.

This wouldn't be perfect, and I'm sure staff wouldn't want to read through 400+ of these each offseason, but it could be worthwhile and could help prevent situations like Minnesota from happening.

• Like Like x 3
    bossy_22_
  13. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +831 / 54 / -127
    There are always going to be losing (or bad) teams. Even ESHL has that. Even if all of the management duos were good there would still be 1/2/3 of them that would quit if they were losing. And someone always has to lose.

The idea of no free contract helps with the management skill gap a bit but who wants to run a team by themselves if they know they might not even get their guys in bidding. So yes, maybe a set salary would help, either based on skill or historical winning % maybe.

So a team like Carolina for example, their management duo could be worth potentially 15-20 mil as it sits today. Minnesota say 1-5 mil, no offense. Well MIN gets 15 mil more in bidding then Carolina. Would for sure help with the balance of power. All management get an assigned salary based on a committee’s decision. This would still allow “elites” to stay together as managers while giving guys with less thumb skill a chance to build a winner.

Maybe this is a terrible idea

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. Th3 l AnD 0n1y

Th3 l AnD 0n1y The Lord

Discord:
    th3land0n1y#0
    Ratings:
    +1,317 / 61 / -31
    League sucks cause the games suck, you should add to that list fire up the Xbox 360 and play a fun nhl game again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    th3_1_and_0n1y
  15. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    All old gen servers are now offline

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  16. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,039 / 113 / -852
    Pretty interesting read to be honest.

Lots of perspective and points of view.

"Is the LGHL Stale?" Here is my take

• When I think of this league in all of its glory I often think of old gen hockey and what that meant to the competitive scene. Custom builds are something that made members of this community grind for, it gave reason to playing the game more. Do I feel we need a drastic 350 game grind back in the mix to add value? Not at all, but it does feel at times the direction of the current games is opposite of what the competitive community wants and needs.
      • We have seen EASHL Club Challenge patched or changed three times now? With the game launching twice without this feature which is LITERALLY the only way our league can play.
      • We have experienced at times game breaking issues that take FOREVER to fix. Things like Captain Lag, or the DR issues that plague NHL 19.
      • Then at times this very vocal community experiences game play changes that feel like they are from left field and send the game into a direction that makes us question if our feedback is ever read.
      • Is the League stale or is the game stale?

• Looking at Season 17 when we merged and I returned from my leave of absence on League Arena, we stepped into the best setup season I think this community ever saw. Yet some issues we see today still were issues then.
      • We had 30 of THE BEST OWNERS we ever had before, yet players refused to play for certain teams. The "EGO" was born to yet another degree.
      • We had top notch respected staff along side me, and yet as the season progressed, the "faith" in some of the staff was rattled because some people can't accept certain rulings. Now we have members of this community who cannot manage or aren't willing to be anything other than toxic or trolls take public shots at the current staff we have today. In-case if anyone was wondering, if the staff I currently have quit, I will NOT be running this league alone. Rather than be toxic be constructive and help me make this league better.
      • The league tiered very very well but some of the good players couldn't accept that not everyone is going to win, and not everyone is going to make playoffs. That leads to some talent dropping down a tier to feel relevant again, which at times can cause issues at those lower tiers.

• The big debate I have is the PS4 league vs the Xbox league. My experience right now is that our PS4 users who are "new" to this community haven't really gotten to that stale point yet. Of course we have some old VHL guys in the PS4 league who likely are feeling it, as well as some guys who play both consoles, but in general the PS4 side still has a level of enthusiasm we just don't really have on the Xbox side anymore.
      • I see it at the NHL and CHL levels the most. The PS4 CHL is growing at record rates which is based on the "honeymoon" phase feeling alot of those new players have. It can be frustrating at times because as we continue to try and grow out the CHL on Xbox we are met with some resistance that the mentally is almost to the point of "If you make anymore changes I am quitting", when in reality the try meaning of why we started this league is being lost on this console at times. Why is it the CHL on PS4 is able to grow quicker and be successful with less? Some argue it is because that tier isn't use to what the Xbox tier had before which is something I can agree with. But it also doesn't mean it is a valid excuse. Xbox has more tools due to our Xbox API that our PSN league doesn't have. How can they do more with less?
      • At the NHL tier we still more people interested in moving up the ranks more than what we see on Xbox. But at times we still have crazy high forfeit numbers which make a mockery of the "elite" tier that the NHL is meant to be. 4% of NHL games resulted in a forfeit, and YES 4% is not huge, but when the AHL is 2% and the CHL that is experiencing growing pains with recent expansion is at 3.8% this season, obviously there are issues.

• People are right who said in this post that structure matters to me. I've always tried my best to keep "my cards on the table" when it comes to this league. To me, I do think it is important for us to have 32 NHL teams that play a 82 game season. I think it is important for us to try and maximize the number of CHL teams and bring the FULL ECHL to the league so that one day we can relocate it below the AHL. With that being said, the "two line" NHL spikes my interest.
      • Two lines means rosters are made up of six forwards, four defenders, two goalies for a total of 12 players. 12 players times 32 teams means the NHL would now be 384 players down from a total of 544 players.
      • That means 160 players would NOT make the NHL, and likely fall to the AHL, which then means 160 players then fall to the CHL, which could translate into an additional two extra training camp players per CHL team after all the domino's fall. I like that idea because it helps stabilize as we continue to grow the CHL slower.
      • It also means that unless an AHL player, or manager is BETTER than an NHL 2nd liner, there is NO advantage in using an ECU like we see now.
      • All of this is VERY interesting, but leaves me with several questions:
        • What is the schedule? Exact same 5/4 split? 7 weeks at 10 games per week, final week has 12 games? 5/5 split?
        • What do we do with the salary cap? Leaving it the same opens the door to dropping to AHL bidding to get a lesser bid and being called up. It needs to be relative to what we currently have.
        • Does "shorten" the beach create more forfeits? People don't show up now for three games a week let along five games. Does having such a small team make the skill gap more obvious, therefore deterring players from wanting to even manage in the NHL because they don't have a shot? We saw this in ESHL as teams quit because they couldn't keep up.
        • What do we do with drafted players? Should we remove some rounds?

Is the LGHL stale? I think it can be depending on what lens you look through. After ten years I too have my moments where I've had enough of the daily grind and would prefer to move on. As a community can we explore changes that aren't going to rattle the foundation of which this league was created? Absolutely we can.

I will keep my eyes on this topic and if you have an idea for me to review, tag me in the post. Thanks to everyone who posted here

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 5
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  17. DAS-FX-33

DAS-FX-33 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -2
    EA does not care about the NHL series

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. Kiroxy4320

Kiroxy4320 Warning Group

Discord:
    Kiroxy#8894
    Ratings:
    +863 / 38 / -28
    Apart from game changers, do we have any sort of eSports/competitive 6s type of contact with EA? A sort of liaison between EA and the comp scene. I feel like EA needs to do a better job of separating the casuals from 6s competitive communities. And a spokesperson whose only goals are to benefit and grow the competitive scene through EA, will over time potentially bring EA to where it can be with eSports. The gamechangers go and test the games, and after that, we just have surveys that they don’t really read. It’s almost New Years and a day 1 bug is still in the game that really can effect the comp scene (Human Gs unable to cover the puck)

@LG McDonald

• Winner Winner x 1
    Kiroxy
  19. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,039 / 113 / -852
    EA has a separate division that handles competitive gaming. That division is two guys who oversee all of the GWC stuff. They aren't even at the same location as the DEV team who make the game.

The GC connections we have are the best chance we have to influence a game that gears more towards the competitive crowd.

• Informative Informative x 2
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  20. Thomas l18l

Thomas l18l Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Thomas l18l#0631
    Ratings:
    +121 / 28 / -24
    EA has been lacking many things over the series of NHL games.I don’t think it’s getting stale to be honest I think the people have a major impact as well. Certain people don’t think about the league and everyone else to help make the league thrive as a whole. We have people that don’t expend because people don’t play with certain people because they have less of a logo. The league is dead because no one just plays to have fun and to be competitively respectfully anymore it’s about ego and disrespect. It’s not dead, but people make it dead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account