Please Vote! LG Overhaul (NHL/AHL)

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by ChiSouthSiderr, Aug 4, 2021.

?

What was your general availability during the NHL 21 game cycle?

1. 3/9 and lower

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. 4/9

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. 5/9

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. 6/9

30 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. 7/9

12 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. 8/9

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. 9/9

83 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. ChiSouthSiderr

ChiSouthSiderr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    I think it is time for a complete overhaul in how this league is structured. It's not just a summer league thing, its a LG thing. Being a Manager in the A for a few seasons, this is what I have noticed:

1) Management:

This season especially has seen the worst management groups I've ever seen across all leagues. We had two teams basically fold already in the AHL. An NHL team on the brink of folding (due to availability).

NHL

Owners weren't filled till right before the draft. people just don't want own anymore because of avail, responsibility of basically two teams and worry of fielding a bad team and people quitting, also being a free contract when you know you aren't worth one.

*Possible solution* Completely overhaul how owner and GM's contracts are given out.

Criteria should be:

- 1 full season played previously in the NHL

- Owner contract is either the average contract amount of all the contracts received or last contract given. So if a 3rd line player wants to own and he is has been 500k his whole career, he would be 500k. I think we would have a lot more competent owners owning.

- 1 free contract (GM) or 2 free contracts (GM & AGM), if you go the route of 1 free contract you may have to raise the total cap number.

AHL

Right now, AHL managers are glorified babysitters for the NHL owner. There is no incentive anymore to manage in the A. All that happens to you is you get your assets traded away by the NHL owner (even if you made the trade in the AHL for AHL assets). There's a big imbalance of AHL teams right now, as you can see most of the good AHL teams have bad NHL teams or you have NHL owners that will move their own assets to "stack their AHL team".

Also teams with no assets will always have a hard time getting AHL managers because they know if they can't get send downs or draft picks there team is basically toast off the rip. If you look at the past cup winners you can see that there were at least one or two send downs and they had plenty of assets to make trades.

*Possible solution*

- AHL rostered players won in AHL bidding are restricted from being moved by the NHL owner. We just had an NHL team move their AHL's best player for an NHL player (while they were in a playoff spot) that AHL team proceeded to blow it up and fold. Draft picks are exempt however as they are drafted by the NHL owner.

- Draft picks need to be looked at, I say we either get rid of trading draft picks for AHL players or if an AHL draft pick was acquired in an AHL only deal then that pick is AHL protected and the NHL owner is not allowed to move it.

- Callups on AHL players won in AHL bidding are only allowed if the NHL player clears waivers first. Unless there is a ban, then there's nothing they can do. Now with the proposed NHL changes there should be less bans as there's more of a chance for a 3rd line owners team to be competitive because the paid contract is a less detriment to the team.

- NHL send downs, this is a tricky one with how the draft is structured. Maybe have the lottery and draft after AHL bidding? This leads to teams being less "stacked" with assets (send down bids) and the NHL teams will have to actually bid on a full roster. Hopefully the NHL suggestions will bring more parity and their will be less teams with 10-15 draft picks.

2) Availability:

Has been horrible throughout all the leagues these past couple years. This isn't just due to real life conflicts, this is people giving 4/9 to get moved from their current situations. i.e. I had someone last season give me 4/9 saying he can only play Tuesdays due to work... Ended up trading that player and the next couple weeks he was playing Sun/Mon/Tue. The reason I knew he was manipulating his avail was because I had people tell flat out he said he was...

Also with the integration of Esports, we had a lot of conflicting times, especially in the AHL. I understand Esports bring in revenue and it's a smart business decision. We also had other tournaments that are not on LG, that are conflicting times.

*Possible solution*

- When players sign up they have to give min 6/9 avail and it has to show up on the sign up list. If they can't give 6/9 then they can't play period. Especially with how we are structured in the 3/3/3 schedule. People don't want to play 2 games one day then have to show up the next game for one game. This is a pretty obvious one if you ask me, not sure why it has taken so long to change.

- This could drop the sign up numbers down even more, but we can remove CHL teams to accommodate the trickle effect.

- Also, people are gonna say "Well the elites aren't going to play now because they are 3 or 4/9 cause of esports. WELL SO BE IT, let them play esports and let the casuals play LG. This is for fun at the end of the day.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

All in all, this is just something I have been thinking about the past couple seasons. Yeah I may not be an NHLer but I do like the league as a whole and I want it to thrive. Comment below if you agree or disagree. I'll be posting this in both the NHL and AHL forums.

Also vote above what your average avail was for the NHL 21 game cycle.

• Like x 3
    • Dumb x 3
    • Get Good x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  2. Dangs92

Dangs92 Fuck Off

Discord:
    dangs92#0
    Ratings:
    +519 / 49 / -69
    The AHL is a farm team for the NHL, way she goes.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Troll Troll x 1
    Dangs92
  3. ChiSouthSiderr

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    Then why manage in the A? Why should we just sit back and watch the NHL owner pillage the team WE built. If that's the case then get rid of AHL managers all together and have the NHL owners manage both teams LOL. There has to be some give and take here.

• Dumb Dumb x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  4. P4ttelite

P4ttelite Well-Known Member

Discord:
    P4ttelite#8770
    Ratings:
    +2,051 / 230 / -350
    it was not cause of availability that a big lie the real reason those teams folded was cause they where terrible dead last and people stop showing up that the real reason.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    xspezzal19lx
  5. JC Enterprise

JC Enterprise Well-Known Member

Discord:
    JC Enterprise#2601
    Ratings:
    +549 / 46 / -41
    - 1 free contract (GM) or 2 free contracts (GM & AGM), if you go the route of 1 free contract you may have to raise the total cap number

This is what we do already with Owner/GM/pAGM no? Wasn’t it a consistent thing where @Coreymac27 ran Washington and got 2 free contracts to come in? This really wouldn’t change anything imo.

On the AHL note - AHL teams raid CHL teams constantly. I remember multiple times where a CHL guy would get called up from a good team to go be a filler for an AHL team to finish the season. Don’t act like the AHL gets screwed by the N without also noting the CHL getting screwed too. Maybe implementing 2 players getting protected by the AHL could be a thing like the CHL has.

You also bring up an NHL team, New Jersey, trading an AHL guy to help them. They’re literally in a playoff push and contending for a top spot in the conference, while Binghamton was a middling 27-24 AHL team. Why wouldn’t they make that trade to help them?? If you’re an AHL manager and you can get a third line C for the price of a CHLer who might get called up at that team you’d do it in a heartbeat, without a second thought. Stop playing victim.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    XxFireHeartsxX
  6. ChiSouthSiderr

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    Then what is the incentive to manage in the AHL? Who wants to build a team to get gutted. In the CHL they have protections and prospects who can’t get called up. AHL has nothing…

And the NHL owner problem is that there aren’t enough good owners anymore. Coreys situation is a one off. Yes that’s the best way to do it currently but what about the half dozen or so teams that couldn’t find owners? So AHLers filled the void. That proposal is to make those teams competitive. I bet you @GRITTY 16s team would be a lot better if he was 500k and had one or two free contracts.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  7. x Fisher 81

x Fisher 81 @IslesGT RW

Discord:
    Fisher#3831
    Ratings:
    +524 / 109 / -104
    this is pointless.

• Winner Winner x 6
    Fisher81
  8. ChiSouthSiderr

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    Exhibit A right here. You taking @Perry x 88 from @Broomball16’s playoff team AFTER the trade deadline. (As much as it pains me to defend him). But that was a joke.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  9. x Fisher 81

x Fisher 81 @IslesGT RW

Discord:
    Fisher#3831
    Ratings:
    +524 / 109 / -104
    I told him all season I was calling him up. He just didn't believe me://// did his ahl even make playoffs??

• Winner Winner x 2
    Fisher81
  10. x Fisher 81

x Fisher 81 @IslesGT RW

Discord:
    Fisher#3831
    Ratings:
    +524 / 109 / -104
    and also how is his nhl team doing this season? crazy right

• Like Like x 2
    Fisher81
  11. TheHeroicDuck

TheHeroicDuck Well-Known Member

Discord:
    theheroicduck#0
    Ratings:
    +1,215 / 13 / -60
    The fact that you think NHL teams shouldnt have control of players in their organization is disturbing. If people want to have control of their teams then own in the N or a banana league. It's a farm system.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    TheHeroicDuck
  12. ChiSouthSiderr

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    Why didn't you call him up after his rookie season? He was on his 2nd season when you did that. He should have been up right away and everyone knows that. Yes he did make the playoffs but Perry carried that team and was an MVP candidate so they lost pretty quick.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  13. ChiSouthSiderr

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    Then fine you can run both teams yourself... What is in it for the AHL managers just to babysit while NHL owners pillage their rosters for their own benefit. There NEEDs to be protections in place or the AHL might as well fold because it's in a horrible state right now.

• Get Good Get Good x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  14. ChiSouthSiderr

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    Broom is a good manager, but being on a free contract when he's worth 500k kills teams, always has. Thats why NHL owner contract distribution should change to allow guys like him to manage and not limit the upside of the team dramatically.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    ChiSouthSiderr
  15. Get Acedd

Get Acedd Warning Group

Ratings:
    +168 / 9 / -16
    The AHL is a minor league team. A farm system. The goal for players should be to play in the NHL anyway. The best players should be playing in the best league, and LG took a step in the right direction by stopping the late sign ups.

The "incentive" you're asking about for AHL managers is the ability to work with NHL management, run a team, and to build the most competitive team you can. The NHL teams needs will always trump the AHL, as it should. That's the entire point of the league, to be a feeder to the NHL.

You said the NHL doesn't have enough good managers. You also said there needs to be an incentive to own in the A. Then what do you do about all the good players that keep taking AHL teams season after season. Seems to be enough incentive for them to keep coming back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. Not Greggy

Not Greggy Warning Group

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 93 / -147
    Unlucky

No Streaming Account
  17. UniqueSniperr

UniqueSniperr THESE YOTES

Ratings:
    +210 / 11 / -16
    There’s still time to delete this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. JC Enterprise

JC Enterprise Well-Known Member

Discord:
    JC Enterprise#2601
    Ratings:
    +549 / 46 / -41
    How can you say this when NJD/Chicago are 1st time owners and chilling in playoff spots right now. Lowkey also came from the CHL, and has constantly been a playoff contender. Sure typically the AHLers coming up to own in the case of Broom and Gritty will suck. Just as my team did, but that’s mostly because they don’t know the player base/avail/ they don’t have players helping them with input. It’s not a general reflection of their manager skill when they’re down bad, its expected to be a growing year and the league knows that. Those guys also struggle enough as is to get a free contract, you think making one more spot would make things better?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    XxFireHeartsxX
  19. Fly I25I

Fly I25I Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +904 / 35 / -50
    There is an argument that players won in ahl bidding should have some type of AHL mgmt approval system before the nhl team moves them for no return for the ahl team. However, the majority of the people complaining about the AHL “getting screwed” are the “too bad CHLers build your team with prospects” people. Can’t have it both ways… either the league’s tiers are feeder systems or they’re not.

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  20. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    @ChiSouthSiderr its been this way for as long as I managed. I came in season 6 VHL, so a long time ago. In case you cannot comprehend, this is how it works.

NHL Loses a player due to ban, management calls best suited player to fill that position from the AHL.

AHL loses player due to callup by NHL, management calls up best suited player to fill that position from CHL.

CHL loses player due to call up by AHL, management calls up best suited player to fill that position from their TC.

It is a revolving door. Management selection at times could be better, I agree. BUT, sometimes there are not enough suitable applicants and you need to take a high risk. Especially in summer season.

If you do not like how things are with your team than do better scouting to stack your TC with better players in case of situations like these.

TL;DR: Mind your business on shit that does not involve you or go play in some banana league where you can stack your own team without any call ups happening.

cross_x_check