UFC/MMA talk thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by DemonSpawn78, Jan 3, 2008.

1. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hes the only one that ive seen, say it was a bad or boring fight. one of a kind.

No Streaming Account
  2. murph17

murph17 Puff, Puff, Pass, Score!

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    alright boys...i need some picks for this weekend over at CentSports. whatcha got?

murph17
  3. Gerbox 360

Gerbox 360 Gerbox is so 2009

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Murphilicious,

I'm not sure what the odds are like over at Centsports but lets take a quick stroll through this weekends festivities and see if we can earn you atleast a dollar.

Affliction

Arlovski/Rothwell - I'm sure Arlovski is the favourite in this to win , probably not a good one to bet on because Rothwell could knock out anybody given a quick mistake or two. I say: Arlovski rd 2, KO

Josh Barnett/Pedro Rizzo - So these two fought before and Rizzo won, anyone that thinks that's even in the realm of possible again is Rampage crazy. Barnett rd 2, TKO.

Matt Lindland/Fabio Negao - If you think grappling is boring you are going to hate this fight. Thankfully I love the sh1t. Linland by DEC.

Babalu/Whitehead - Typical fight from an upstart promotion. Name fighter on his way down in the sport but still has wheels left against the young upstart. Sobral hasn't fought in some time and I beleive that Whitehead is riding a Goldberg style 12 fight winning streak. Too tough to bet. Babalu rd 2 Sub.

A. Emelianko/P. Buentello - I really don't think either fighter is particulary good. But Aleksander should come out of this Eastern Promises tattoo's intact
    Emelianko rd 2 , TKO

V. Belfort/T. Martin - Belfort of old would just mow down Terry Martin but you really never know what you're going to get from Vitor ever. Still If Chris Leben can knock you out, Vitor Belfort should be able to destroy you.
    Belfort, DEC

FEDOR Emelianko/Tim Sylvia - Fedor by Dec

(I'll do the UFC later)

No Streaming Account
  4. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    thanks Gerby. you rock. were you on vacation or something? i didn't see you around here too much for a little while, but plenty of Gerby sightings this week.

if you are ever in NYC...we're getting our drink and smoke on.

murph17
  5. Gerbox 360

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Work has been pretty busy for me which is why I wasn't very active, and I'm actually on vacation this week hence the increase in said activity.

Same offer goes to you, if you're in Ontario/ Toronto area let me know and we'll smoke a quarter pound or so on me.

No Streaming Account
  6. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i WILL take you up on that offer sometime. been to montreal 2x, Toronto is next to see the Hockey HOF.

i drive past the Basketball HOF all the time on my way to the skihouse...and it kills me...because i &$@(!!#! hate basketball. must...get...to toronto.

murph17
  7. Gerbox 360

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Stole this from fightlinker.com for you Murph.

The most insulting odds: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (-1000) vs Edwin Dewees (+650)
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen worse odds than this in MMA. In fact, the only time I’ve ever seem worse odds in any sport was when Bodog put up a speculative line on Roy Jones Jr vs Anderson Silva. While many people are devoting time to writing articles on why Tim Sylvia, Pedro Rizzo, and Paul Buentello are capable of winning their fights, no one has really wasted any breath on trying to dispell Dewees’ status as sacrificial lamb. I’d make a half hearted attempt to point out his 27 submission wins in 45 fights, but after watching him get absolutely handled on the ground by Frank Trigg back in December … nah.

The juiciest underdog: Tim Sylvia (+300) vs Fedor (-400)
    It’s been a very long time since Fedor has fought anyone any good, and people tend to dismiss Tim Sylvia’s skills because he’s a douchebag and not very exciting. But when you’re looking at the tools Tim has, I think he stands a very good chance of dragging this fight to a decision, or even (gasp?!?!) knocking Fedor out. Of course, any time you talk about underdog being a good pick, it’s worth mentioning that they’re the underdog for a reason: it’s more likely that Fedor will win. But I think +300 doesn’t give Tim enough credit, so there’s certainly an edge worth playing on that one.

The most overblown favorite: Vitor Belfort (-350) vs Terry Martin (+250)
    Vitor is like the abusive relationship you keep going back to because “Things are gonna be different this time”. No, they’re not. Old Vitor is long gone and everyone knows it. But every time he’s booked, there’s the same old song and dance: “Old Vitor is back!” No. No he’s not.

The underdog that shouldn’t be the underdog: Hermes Franca (+110) vs Frankie Edgar (-140)
    Mind you it’s close, but there’s no way in my mind that Franca walks into this fight against Edgar the underdog. Hermes has shown that he can finish people off without a problem, while Frankie Edgar is a decision machine. If the odds were reversed I probably wouldn’t bother playing this, but since they’re how they are, I’mma gettin’ in on this ****.

No Streaming Account
  8. Jonezy48

Jonezy48 Human Eraser #2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOW! My team is ran by Alcholic's and Stoners lol

No Streaming Account
  9. Gerbox 360

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you're just finding that out now Jonezeezy, you're not a very good teammate.:)

No Streaming Account
  10. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    wait wait wait. is that a bad thing?

No Streaming Account
  11. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That wasn't bad...except for the idiot that thought Vitor Belfort was done, ;)

No Streaming Account
  12. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,737 / 89 / -327
    So that Lesnar vs Carwin fight kinda reminded me of that Simpsons episode where Homer takes up boxing. Carwin just go so tired of beating the **** out of Lesnar he basically fell over

13. o La Vie o

o La Vie o Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's been asked

"Can Lesnar take a punch"

The answer............................ is YES!

No Streaming Account
  14. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just because you rarely go past the 2 minute mark doesn't mean you shouldn't train for a longer fight lol.

No Streaming Account
  15. o La Vie o

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha word that.

But, in the defense of Carwin.... a guy that big, with that much muscle. No man on earth could punch THAT many times and not be completly EFFED for the next 5-10 minutes.

And it's tough because, I don't think Carwin would have done a damn thing differently in that exact same situation unless it was in Heinsight. That fight was so close from being called it's not funny, Reff made a sick call not to and it was the right one. But Carwin had to go for it there, you gotta think you are gonna get the TKO when you are just wailing away.

But Lesnar sure can take a punch.

No Streaming Account
  16. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6
    Cain Velasquez

cup4bluesNHL
  17. Gerbox 360

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What Orbs said but with more attitude.

No Streaming Account
  18. o La Vie o

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like both fighters, I think they are both beasts.

I like Lesnar more because he is heavily entertaining, carwin has such a boring personality. But he is a foolishly good striker and a heavy one at that hoollllly.

I have sportsbutter on my facebook and get updates from articles and vids of my fav sports, and one was the Lesnar post fight press conference. The posts by people on facebook are less intelligent than the posts on youtube vids.

Alot of people are whinning about how that fight should have been stopped. If I have ever been more certain about something in my entire life about sports, it's this..... THAT FIGHT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN STOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Streaming Account
  19. Gerbox 360

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not only should it NOT have been stopped, but a tape of that fight should be given to every single ref or ref in training as to how EXACTLY you should ref a fight.

Josh Rosenthal was perfect out there.

No Streaming Account
  20. o La Vie o

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think i've ever agreed more on a single topic with you than this one right here.

Not even kidding, I think it should be veiwed by the Reffing commission (if they have one, they should like the NHL and be governed) so that they can see how you call a situation like that.

They should revise the guideless, if they haven't already. And go further into detail than just saying has to be defending intelligently.

It should be a requirement to put your elbows to your knees, squat the fuuuuuck down lean forward get your nose in there nice and close so you can see the fighter getting pumbled. If his hands are at the sides of his heads blocking but getting striked repeatedly..... you do not stop the fight, he no where near unconcious if his hands are still up. If they drop, and he gets struck repeatedly COOL stop it.

No Streaming Account