NHL 13 Press Release Detailing: True Performance Skating & EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by weenus, May 18, 2012.

1. weenus

weenus Derptown

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...NHL-13-Delivers-Major-Innovations-Change-Play

So what do you guys think? Kinda excited to check out what they mean by 'explosiveness' and 'creativity' in skating. Also, players being aware of every player on the ice? What manner of sorcery is this?!

No Streaming Account
  2. YouppiHabs

YouppiHabs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It sounds awesome but that's NHL for you. I'm sure they had that idea before NHL 12 but they wanted to hold it until it's time to release NHL13. They always makes small changes that makes us want to buy the game LOL

No Streaming Account
  3. Meeble

Meeble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A variation of the hockey i.q. stuff is what they were touting the same time last yr for nhl 12. cpu anticipating the play and acting like their real life counterparts. Heh.

No Streaming Account
  4. Ozzyng2

Ozzyng2 Ignore the man behind the curtain

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 12 / -71
    I'm concerned about this, EA has always boasted "AI learning" since '09 and the EASHL. So this could be what I personally expected of it. If the AI will be aware and learn from say a glitch move or shot and not allow it the next time that would be great. BUT if the AI are programmed to "anticipate" the plays by reading what develops thay could become too good, and basically "cheating" by reading the commands we send before or at the same time the game executes them as we hit our controls. I'm all for AI playing stable and decent but as long as they perform at the rating they are given. So if they give the AI a 65 to 75 rating, they shouldn't be near perfect with their IQ.

"true-to-life decision-making" - I'd like to know how you gauge this and what it means for a lower rated player equal to the AI's rating. I'd more then bet the AI will still come out making better decisions then the actual NHL players with the same rating.

5. sauce47

sauce47 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +512 / 57 / -92
    the new skating engine will definitily make the game feel different.

No Streaming Account
  6. JaYCHiN x

JaYCHiN x Well-Known Member

Discord:
    jaychinx#0
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -11
    JaYCHiNx
  7. xJerseyDevil

xJerseyDevil Nashville Predators Owner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Online Be a GM? My days in 6v6 leagues may be over in September... LOL

No Streaming Account
  8. dirtymike7

dirtymike7 Climbing Back2The Middle

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I feel you. I've been hoping they'd come out with this.

No Streaming Account
  9. col890

col890 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here they go again with the "over 582305820582 new animations" and new gameplay experience garbage. EA always does this, they make everybody hard with news like this and then just completely disappoint when the game actually comes out.

No Streaming Account
  10. Jepockn

Jepockn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm just hoping the online be a gm can run like the 2k leagues.

No Streaming Account
  11. BROKEUDOWN

BROKEUDOWN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +518 / 2 / -6
    Sounds really good, i hope EAs design team is as good as their writers.

No Streaming Account
  12. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    Odd years are typically the good years.

No Streaming Account
  13. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    09 made my dick rock solid. Every year since has made me a halfer.

No Streaming Account
  14. o KniGhtZ o

o KniGhtZ o Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 0 / -1
    Should be better, I love how rammer says momentum is not a factor. That guy is something else.

No Streaming Account
  15. BROKEUDOWN

BROKEUDOWN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +518 / 2 / -6
    the video of the skating is pretty exciting, it looks like there will be a bigger variation in speed (Hall ripping across the Nuetral zone, and busting on to a breakaway). that should mean that it takes time and a str8 line to get that kind of speed.

Like they say it will change the way the game is played... at this point that is definitely a good thing.

Skating is at least a third of hockey. Managing speed while turning, bumping , excelling and stopping. the lines you choose to skate become a lot more important If it is done right.

EA wants to make a good game. They don't want the same old people to buy it and then rush to forums and bitch for 12 months about how the physics are ~*~*, pucks thru sticks....etc...etc....They have nothing to lose by putting out a good game, if the game is good and gamers are stoaked then we tell people. When you are told to do buy sumthing from some1 not making a dollar off that advice, it is the best advertising. They seem to be trying again.

No Streaming Account
  16. Browness-

Browness- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Browness-#6166
    Ratings:
    +147 / 17 / -20
    It'll be interested to see but if 6v6 is Garbo again this year at least I'll still be playing NHL via online GM mode

browness90
  17. worm42x10

worm42x10 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    if done right it will make the game so much better. you won't be able to go from face off to the d-man in 1/2 a second. if you get caught out of position on the forecheck it will hurt a lot more too. also hopefuly there will be a difference between acceleration/agigilty/speed. i would love to see a build with having higher acceleration then speed work to your advantage. as far as seeing everyone on the ice instead of just the closest person, that may be cool for some people, but i still think there is no need because 6v6 is the only real way to go anyway( unless you work overnight and can't get 6 people on at 8am-noon EST every day like me :-D ) what they need to do is change the system for poke checks. i don't care if you have 99 PC if i poke the puck off you going from right to left, no way does the puck stay on your stick or go to the same side that my poke check came from.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    No Streaming Account
  18. meme god x 420

meme god x 420 h e l l o

Ratings:
    +1,308 / 10 / -53
    Does this mean we can finally stickhandle while moving our feet??

Also, super stoked for online BeAGM, but I'm sure it'll be full of bugs and have fewer features / less depth than regular BeAGM. The problem is, the A.I. in this series is so bad that the game is virtually unplayable except for 6v6... hopefully this new and improved A.I. system they're talking about actually works, but I won't get my hopes up.

bearditv
  19. VintageMC

VintageMC Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Word. I get the feeling the online BeAGM will mostly be fun as a management system amongst friends. Kind of like a fantasy pool.

I fear this too. If they can detect other players on the ice, slipping by the AI on the rush or in the zone could become overly difficult for the reasons you mentioned. Like they don't tie you up enough already. The whole aspect of "tricking" the defensive AI player with fancy changes in positioning kind of dries up if they can instantly detect all the movements of all players on the ice.

I just hope we aren't stuck with this issue: If the AI are defensive d-men and 2-way forwards they will play amazing and steal the game for you. If they are offensive d-men and snipers they will make countless mistakes. They better recognize this year that all d-men can play D and all forwards can play defensively.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    No Streaming Account
  20. DaGuzenn

DaGuzenn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still have '09...still one of my favs.

No Streaming Account