New Assignment!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Latdogg, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I was just notified on where I will be stationed after my final 9 months here in Italy. I will be going to Royal Air Force Station Croughton in Northamptonshire, England. This wasn't my ideal place to go as I was trying to make my way back to Asia (I had a great time stationed in Korea, was trying to go to Japan or Guam). Croughton is a SUPER small base though with only about 500 personnel that work there, compared to the ~4,000 people here at Aviano Air Base. That should make for a more relaxed work tempo. I have never been to England so I'm sure it will be a good time and I'm only 70 miles northwest of London so at least I will be able to hit up a few NFL games!

Gajeske85
  2. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Congrats,

So you are thinking England is an upgrade vs Italy?? hmmmm I dunno man, i love everything about Northern Italy where you are now. But if its a more relaxed work tempo that can make a big difference. But congrats again dude!

3. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Northern Italy is beautiful, don't get me wrong. But it is one thing to visit here and another to live here for 2 years. Gas stations and stores close down from noon-2:30pm every day for the Italians "rest period". Restaurants don't open until 7:30pm for dinner, all other stores and stuff close at 7pm. Everything is closed on Sundays and 1/2 of places are closed Monday while the other half of places are closed Tuesdays. Living here BLOWS, so yea I am hoping England is better ;)

Gajeske85
  4. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Stores closed after a reasonable hour? lol that's how life used to be here 20 years ago, Heck i remember when there was a vote here to allow "Sunday Shopping".

I know in North America we have an expectation of "all-the-time service", but then i think about the poor souls that have to work in these places for so late. I must admit i appercaite Italy, and to a greater extent, Europe for its "life-first" approach.

5. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I hear you, and again that is why I think this place is an amazing place to visit. Living here for two years has been a bit rough though, since I grew up in the United States I am used to things being open all the time, as you mentioned. But really I don't mind stores and stuff closing at 7-8pm, what I mind is the daily Siesta from noon-2:30pm where gas stations, stores, and restaurants are closed for the Italian rest period. That gets old real quick...

Gajeske85
  6. mikeysanman1

mikeysanman1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    good luck and thank you

No Streaming Account
  7. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man you really move around, crazy! England seems like it would be pretty cool!

No Streaming Account
  8. KASTOR N POLLUX

KASTOR N POLLUX S16 JACK ADAMS WINNER

Discord:
    Kastor n Pollux (Storm Team Dad)#5430
    Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -5
    england is a pretty unique place, loved it when i visited there, but i'd never wanna live there. i stayed in Kent for a couple weeks, hit up london and such. took a ride or two on the London High. if you aren't familiar with it, it's the big ferris wheel that the fantastic four had to repair in order to rescue a shitload of people in the second fantastic four movie when the silver surfer put the hole right in the Thames River, right across from the parliament building. again, it was a fun experience visiting, but i would never wanna live there. hope you love it, good luck!

kastornpollux
  9. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea that is for sure! Montana>Korea>Italy>England. I will be there for 2 years, after that I don't know yet. My plan is to either go to Germany or Belgium afterwards. Who knows, I just hit my 8 year mark on September 5th. After my 2 years in England I will have 10 years to go until I can retire and get that pension (I will be 38 years old). We will see how it all plays out!

Gajeske85