LGAHL Calder Cup Preview/Predictions

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by PahkTheCah1387, Aug 25, 2014.

1. PahkTheCah1387

PahkTheCah1387 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 8 / -10
    LGAHL Calder Cup Finals Preview & Predictions
    First off congratulations to Providence & Abbotsford they truly are the two best teams in this league and have earned the right to play for the Calder. I want to take a moment to thank the writers whose hard work made this all possible [MENTION=6624]arnooney[/MENTION] [MENTION=4777]Jay Rulez[/MENTION] [MENTION=7796]MadeOfTwoFaces[/MENTION] [MENTION=7923]Noobinator156[/MENTION] [MENTION=9119]lSneaky x84l[/MENTION] [MENTION=4794]Riemersmaa[/MENTION] [MENTION=7669]xX Z3NO Xx[/MENTION] you guys have been fantastic these last couple weeks and I really appreciate your commitment to giving this community detailed and thought out write ups. Good luck to everyone with their endeavors this offseason and maybe see you guys in S19. #FIRERAMMER
    (Note: Team write ups/grades remain the same as last week unless updated by the writers as they see fit.)

Calder Cup Finals

(1) Providence Bruins (60-19-3, 123 PTS) vs. (2) Abbotsford Heat (54-22-6 114 PTS)Season Series: 1-1, ABB 5 GF, 4 GA

Providence - Jay Rulez
    When you finish the season as the top seeding the league, there’s going to be a lot of strengths and very few weaknesses. Providence’s season was for the most part very dominating, save for a couple weeks in the middle. Lead by experienced managers [MENTION=7669]xX Z3NO Xx[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6764]Couture l 39 l[/MENTION], the Bruins put up staggering offensive numbers (3rd most goals for) while maintaining a ridiculously hard-to-play-against team defense (fewest goals allowed). These guys are serious Calder Cup contenders

Depth Grades
    FWD: [B+]. This offense is talented and it all starts with their Centres. The top faceoff team in the league relies on starting each play with puck possession, which bodes well offensively and defensively. Can depth now be questioned?
    DEF: [A-]. @greg85w and [MENTION=8039]xxEVILMONKYxx[/MENTION] are the clear cut pillars on this defense and they are downright nasty to play against. They anchored the best PK% in the league and don’t make many mistakes on the breakout. A relatively average offensive team potted 2.5 goals-per-game on them which is a rather big increase from the regular season...
    G: [B+; down from A in round 3]. Zeno and [MENTION=8315]l MrLundqvist l[/MENTION] are a dynamic duo in net who have found themselves amongst the league’s top goalies all year. They’re the last line on the best defensive team in the league so as long as they’re even just average, they will get the job done. Potential controversy with Lundqvist

Players to Watch: FWD: @IG HangOver [MENTION=6078]TheReaper420247[/MENTION] DEF: [FONT=Arial [MENTION=8039]xxEVILMONKYxx[/MENTION][/FONT]

How they got here:
    Round 1 vs. Manchester (4-2): The Bruins had one of the more favorable matchups on paper coming into the first round but took 6 games to get rid of the pesky Monarchs. A big reason for this was their inability to get a win out of the Monster-Welch-Dro line. They averaged 3.5 goals-per-game which is more than enough to get things done with Z3NO and Lundy behind them holding down the fort. Hopefully ECUs won’t be needed as often in round 2.

Round 2 vs. Bridgeport (4-1): For the second time in these playoffs, Providence dropped game 1. They rebounded and won out the next 4 to advance proving that they are a strong group of players. They shutout Bridgeport is games 2 and 3 and then closed it out with a pair of 3-2 wins. But the Monster-Welch pairing has still yet to win a game in the playoffs. Lines 1 and 2 continue to be dominant and the solid goaltending is making it easy for the Bruins to get the 4 wins they need each series so far.

Round 3 vs. Norfolk (4-2): The defensive power-houses collided and Providence is the last team standing from the East. They identified the weakness in their opponent and exploited this opportunity with home ice advantage. The defense is still going strong and it appears as though their offense has finally rounded into form after having a bumpy couple rounds to start. Zeno carried the load in net vs Norfolk and deservedly so; look for him to continue carrying the team from the blue paint. Lines 1 and 2 seemingly can’t lose for these guys...

How they’ll become Calder Cup Champions: Providence will line match, play solid defense and score timely goals. There’s nothing new to see here, they’ve been doing this well all season and playoffs. There is no mystery man in Providence who does it all by themselves; they are balanced and thrive on their ability to cycle the puck and kill you in the transition game. Maintaining their discipline should be crucial vs Abbotsford because they both like to play similar puck possession styles. Rushing to the sin bin is not an option for the finals and if Providence can avoid taking unnecessary penalties, it’s going to be tough to beat them without the puck.
    P.S. Swallow your fucking pride and show up [MENTION=8315]l MrLundqvist l[/MENTION] because you aren’t doing yourself any favors for future seasons.

Abbotsford - Pahkish
    8-1 in the play-offs after round 2 the Heat currently have the best record and everything going their way. Defense is still the story in Abbotsford only letting in 15 Goals frustrating top lines from Iowa and Chicago.The test this time is bigger being the team who finished 1st place in the West the Rochester Americans. For the first time in the series Abbotsford are playing a team they came on top of in the season series winning the first game 2-1 and the second 6-5. There is no doubt that this will not be a 4 or 5 game series expect 6-7 games and tight ones.
    Defense VS Offense let see who takes it.

Depth Grades:

FWD: [A] - Look for recently sent down [MENTION=10264]CRONKZYYY[/MENTION] to gather the troops and propel this group of forwards against Rochester. At times, they have no issues with putting the puck in their opponents’ net but they have showed some signs of weaknesses throughout the season .
    DEF: [A+] - There’s a reason this team finished with the third lowest GA in the league. Defense. Anchored by [MENTION=7674]Sloshy Boxers[/MENTION], [MENTION=7893]Kbsmith37[/MENTION], [MENTION=8313]MBell91[/MENTION], and [MENTION=7681]mr perfect 48[/MENTION] this team will make you work for your goals day in and day out.
    G: [A-] - With the previously mentioned D core in front of you each game there’s usually not too many reasons to worry as a goalie. However, these goalies have showed their worth throughout the season and will be able to steal games for their team if need be.

Players to Watch: F: [FONT=Arial [MENTION=10264]CRONKZYYY[/MENTION][/FONT] D: [FONT=Arial [MENTION=7674]Sloshy Boxers[/MENTION][/FONT] G: [FONT=Arial [MENTION=8406]Elegant Mullet[/MENTION] [/FONT]

How they got here:
    Round 1 vs. Chicago (4-0):Abbotsford cruised through their first round matchup against the Chicago Wolves in a clean 4-0 sweep. This was a series that caused quite a bit of controversy around the league as former NHLers [MENTION=10264]CRONKZYYY[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9699]Kapka13[/MENTION] were swapped with members of the team once Calgary was eliminated. These moves proved to be relatively irrelevant as these players only started in the fourth and final game of the series. Abbotsford used a smooth combination of a high-powered offense and a smothering D to make quick work of the opposing Wolves.

Round 2 vs. Iowa (4-1): To my surprise Iowa could not stand the Heat only winning 1 game in the series. Abbotsford brought their A game every night except game 3 where Iowa thought they had their defense figured out winning 6-2. Well, Abbotsford bounced back with a 4-2 win in game 4 and 1-0 in game 5 to finish off Iowa’s season. For the second series in a row the Heat got 2 shutout victories, their roots from the season did not change they are sticking to defense and it is working for them.

Round 3 vs. Rochester (4-0): Abbotsford utterly dominated Rochester and left no room for argument over who was the best team in the West. With three solid offensive lines rolling and their ever reliable and sturdy defense behind them this one was barely a contest. Abbotsford shows the ability to both win the tight games (a 1-0 win in game 1 set the stage for the remainder of the series) or win big scoring 4 goals in each of the last 3 games of the series.

How they’ll become Calder Cup Champions: Abbotsford is hitting their stride at the perfect time and really just need to focus on maintaining their level of play throughout this last series. Not much room for improvement when a team is as dominant as they have been. Kbsmith & co. will have to do a good job of matching lines as Providence’s management team has been masterful with getting the matchups they want when they want them but line for line from 1-3 Abbotsford should have the advantage if they don’t come out of season 18 Calder Cup Champions they will have noone to blame but themselves as they have all the ingredients necessary to raise the cup.

Writers’ Series Forecast:

Arnooney: This will be an extremely even, and entertaining series to watch. Providence, the top team in the East and most points in the regular season will be pitted against Abbotsford, a very consistent team with a ton of depth. I think this series comes down to one thing, and that is depth. Sure, both teams boast good top lines, but how is everyone else going to perform? Whoever plays the matchups the right way will win this series. From looking at earlier series’, it seems Providence likes to get the series over with as quick as possible. If Providence does their matchups this way, I believe Abbotsford has a slight edge because of their depth and the fact that their 3rd line can compete with Providence’s top line. Providence’s 3rd line has yet to win a game in the playoffs, will they finally show up? Providence has an excellent top d pair, and they will likely handle their business, as well as a great goaltending duo. Abbotsford has 3 solid forward lines as well as defensemen who can play a good two way game. Abbotsford in 6.

Jay Rulez: 3 of the final 4 teams this year were built on team defense and an ability to control puck possession. It’s not a surprise to see 2 of these teams advance to the finals to do battle in the ultimate chess game between these two managers. [MENTION=7893]Kbsmith37[/MENTION] has been around the virtual hockey league circuit since 2009 seemingly (first year of EASHL, RIP your soul) and [MENTION=7669]xX Z3NO Xx[/MENTION] really busted out after the merger in the management world. Couple with them 2 grey-beard AGM’s in Snipeshow ( @Couture l39l ) and [MENTION=7681]mr perfect 48[/MENTION] and this has the makings to go a long ways. Both teams go about business the right way and always seem to make the perfect move. The problem here is that Providence will be getting the last move when it matters most and unless Abbotsford can force their hand, it will be over in 6...gimme Providence as S18 Calder Cup Champs. (NOTE: I have picked against Abbotsford for 3 straight rounds, something to chew on for the Heat I guess).

MadeOfTwoFaces: Is somewhere?

Noobinator: Is on Vacation.

Pahk: This will be a battle as their is not much that separates these teams. I would give the goaltending edge to Providence, defensively & offensively these are the 2 best teams in the league however I believe Abbotsford’s depth is slightly more impressive. When it comes to top end talent both offensively and defensively I’d say the edge is firmly with Abbotsford. The home ice advantage which Providence has, is very important seeing how Providences management has shown through this post-season that they know how to get the matchups they want and I don’t believe this series will be any different, however the top end talent of Abbotsford will prove too much and a tightly contested 7 game series will come down to both teams line 1 where I believe Abbotsford has the advantage. Abbotsford in 7.

Riemersmaa: Finally, a series that is going to be truly entertaining to keep track of from Game 1 to the end. Both teams have made it to this point for a reason, depth. All three forward lines on both teams can put up numbers on any given night and terrorize opposing D. Not only is their offense top notch, but both teams defense has the ability to shut down any line when given the chance. I believe Providence’s strength will show in their ability in the net. They have two all-star goaltenders in [MENTION=7669]xX Z3NO Xx[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8315]l MrLundqvist l[/MENTION] who can frustrate even the most skilled players in this league. Providence clearly has the edge in goaltending as I believe Abbotsford only has one true starting goaltender in [MENTION=8406]Elegant Mullet[/MENTION] and will need to ride him through this series to be successful. However, the glaring weakness I see within Providence is their third line forwards. Through three rounds they are winless and have been carried by the other two lines up to this point. If they want to see success and claim the Calder Cup, they will have to step up and win at least one of their games this series. In the end I believe Abbotsford is too deep of a team and if they play like they did against Rochester nothing will get in their way. Look for this series to reach the limit of seven games and end in a complete thriller. Abbotsford in 7.

Sneaky: Is somewhere?

Zeno: N/A

Staff Predictions:
    Arnooney: Abbotsford 4-2
    Jay Rulez: Providence 4-2
    MadeOfTwoFaces: ??
    Noobinator: Vacation
    Pahk: Abbotsford 4-3
    Riemersmaa: Abbotsford 4-3
    Sneaky: ??
    Zeno: N/A

Thanks for reading everyone, goodluck to Abbotsford & Providence! See you in S19.

• Like Like x 13
    No Streaming Account
  2. Snipeshow72x

Snipeshow72x Well-Known Member

Discord:
    snipeshow72x#0
    Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -5
    good write up. With Abbotsford up 1-0 after game 1. Look for Providence to Try to steal game 2 and 3. Its going to be a heck of a series. Good luck to everyone in it. You guys(Abbotsford) Truly deserve to be here.

xxDecay72xx
  3. xSloshy

xSloshy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,528 / 25 / -66
    After all the nonsense in rounds 1 and 3 with Chicago and Rochester. I just want to give everyone on providence a big hug

• Like Like x 1
    Sloshy97
  4. xxEVILMONKYxx

xxEVILMONKYxx Hero

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Fuck you and fuck Abbotsford.

Btw great write-up guys I've enjoyed them all throughout the playoffs.

• Like Like x 7
    No Streaming Account
  5. Kapka13

Kapka13 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    i still love you [MENTION=4777]Jay Rulez[/MENTION]

GG [MENTION=6672]Heimbecker[/MENTION]

No Streaming Account
  6. Yaaa Booiii

Yaaa Booiii Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +554 / 6 / -4
    Gay!!

GG [MENTION=6672]Heimbecker[/MENTION] <3

No Streaming Account
  7. Kapka13

Kapka13 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

I guess i love you too?

where my fan boi at?:) [MENTION=10256]W 3 L C H Z[/MENTION]

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. Cronkxr

Cronkxr Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,128 / 3 / -2
    Great write up boys, best of luck to Providence

Lovee you [MENTION=6672]Heimbecker[/MENTION]
    GG [MENTION=9699]Kapka13[/MENTION]

No Streaming Account
  9. Garis93

Garis93 and they don't stop coming

Discord:
    Garis93#0625
    Ratings:
    +2,206 / 134 / -118
    Hello.

LG_Voracek
  10. Heimbecker

Heimbecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +817 / 31 / -2
    Thanks Babe!! I hope Mariano Rivera is making an appearance as closer for game 4 as the Heat will be looking for the sweep.

• Like Like x 2
    Heimbecker07