LGHL vs Esports (ESHL)

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweeT 9 LoU 84, Aug 14, 2017.

1. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    There has been some discussion lately about why The LG COMMUNITY (Players and staff) @Tris10 @LG McDonald prioritize League over eSports.

LGHL
    LGAHL
    LGCHL

Over

ESHL

Every other gaming community promotes and prioritizes the MONEY leagues/tournaments over the free leagues

However, the NHL community has always seemed to have this backwards. Why is that?

XBOX
    LG Sign Ups - 3,849

ESHL SIGN UPS (Not The Marc Savard House Party Invitational) - 248 players
    12 Teams Invite Division
    19 Teams Open Division

PS4
    LGHL Sign Ups -2,733

ESHL PSN - 158 players
    19 teams

*Don't know why people are switching to Ps4 with those numbers

Why does the community sign up for a Free league with no prize money and less competition when there's a money league with better competition and potential to win money for playing

LGHL
    PROS
    1.) Free To Sign Up

2.) Having a chance to win
    a) Somewhat random teams
    b) Need depth and multiple lines
    c) Chance to play with new people

3.) Set Scheduled Game Times
    a) Scheduled Games (SUN-THURS)
    b) Same PRIME Time Slots every week (9/10/11)
    c) Only have to play 3 games a week (6 for Gs) and a MIN of 1 night a week (with Tuesdays 9 10 11) or MAX of 3 nights a week

4.) Sim Structure
    a) Bidding
    b) Trades
    c) Real teams
    d) AHL affiliate, can be called up

5.) Statistics and Awards
    a) Individual awards
    b) Build and win as a team
    c) Make a name for yourself

CONS
    1.) Poorly managed teams Owners/GMs/AGMs
    a) Build a bad team
    b) Dont have a team chat to communicate
    c) Dont make sure someone is on to organize games every night
    d) Bid on bad or cancerous players

2.) Forfeits still exist
    a) People no show without messaging their mgmt beforehand
    b) Mgmt dont gather ECUs in time or have them ready
    c) Some mgmt and/or players give up on the season once they're out of playoffs after the trade deadline

3.) Bidding
    a) Go for too much in bidding
    b) Not get a bid
    c) Go to a bad team

Esports ESHL
    PROS
    1.) Win Money

2.) Play with whoever you want

3.) Highest competition

4.) Earn respect from peers

5.) Help grow the hockey esport

CONS
    1.) Have to buy in

2.) Scheduling is still awful (we've tried play when you want and make your own schedule in advance) It is mainly set around LG times which is a killer bc they have the prime slots and most esports players are on different lg teams.

3.) Forfeits still exist and effect standings
    a) Some teams FF games once they're out of playoffs.

MISCELLANEOUS
    1.) The split between the consoles xbox and ps4, as mentioned by
    @NeNe in his http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?threads/project-make-nhl-great-again.261577/

2.) NHL is a hobby, not a job

3.) The issue isn't so much playing or promoting LGHL more as it is skipping or rescheduling games for LGHL instead of ESHL

What are your issues with ESHL or with LG and what you think would fix it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    In World of CHEL
    SweeT9LoU84
  2. P4ttelite

P4ttelite Well-Known Member

Discord:
    P4ttelite#8770
    Ratings:
    +2,051 / 230 / -350
    i play in esports if the game times where the same has lg and not 11 and 12pm during the time i work that why and others or the same that why it will never be big people have jobs

• Get Good x 6
    • Useful x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Troll x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    xspezzal19lx
  3. Jack Bauer tuna

Jack Bauer tuna Hall of Famer

Discord:
    JBT123#4279
    Ratings:
    +1,258 / 66 / -177
    The realism factor is the best part of league (trades, stats, real teams, set schedule, standings etc)

As far as eSports goes, everyone knows who's going to win before even signing up so that pushes most people away.
    1. A moment ago - [​IMG] Sejje 19 :
      "I wish they wouldnt make the games for Pro Series/ESHL so late lol"

20 team league would make everything more competitive on the LGHL side of things.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    jackbauertuna_
  4. xSlamps

xSlamps The Kid

Discord:
    Slamps#3033
    Ratings:
    +194 / 6 / -16
    Someone said it over on the psn forums, theres no real incentive for some teams to sign up as they assume they won't win or can't compete with the elite teams.

I'd kinda like to see a structure some what of what cod does, smaller prized tournaments throughout the year that are not mandatory which I think will keep teams together as they have a chance to win money in some tournaments. At the end of the year you have a for say top 8 tournament with the largest pot.

Again, if teams had multiple chances to win money and had a reason to keep playing and competing for something at the end I feel like that would keep them together and expand ESHL to some of those teams that play club together all the time but don't sign up.

• Like Like x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Slampsonn
  5. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    I think this is an excellent topic and brings a ton of discussions to the table.

First of the LGHL and ESHL are night and day events IMO. They end up sharing some of the same issues and problems but IMO they cannot be compared.

LGHL thrived from years of "nothing to play for" in EASHL. We were able to over a fun experience, competitive experience that this community wanted and has been waiting for since the NHL 09, NHL 10 playoffs.

ESHL/ Pro Series was an a brilliant idea to give the top tier players a next level to play in. I believe it accomplished that for several events until things kind of feel of the rails with forfeits and the power to control who makes it in and who doesn't became a factor.

IMO, I wanted the Thursday LGHL games gone because it was a single game, and availability sucked. It also opened the door up to having a day dedicated to ESHL. Keep in mind having a condensed LGHL week changes times. Therefore Wednesday in the NHL games are 9-10, AHL will like be 9:45-10:45, and CHL is 8:30-9:30. So besides the late AHL game, there is absolutely no reason why we can start games Wednesday and run them right into Friday. FNP puck is ALWAYS over capacity and people love these events.

I don't think there is a solution yet I've seen for the forfeit issues. It literally comes down to integrity of players playing to show up and play even if they aren't making the playoffs. This is no different than what week eight and nine of the LGHL has to deal with as well. Unless we drastically increase the buy-in, so quitting financially hurts you way more I don't know what we can do. I've heard ideas like make forfeits not count as points, but then we have lower seed teams holding higher seed tops hostage potentially. The only real idea that comes to mind is why not go to a system identical to HUT Competitive seasons, therefore there is NO FORFEITS ever... I think a set schedule is great for so many but the abuse we uncovered with it and forfeits makes me believe a set schedule can't be possible to make these events work.

This all comes back to the same root cause IMO. Player dedication! Everything here on here comes back to player dedication. I want nothing more right now than be able to play in our PSN League. Hell Tris even offered to dip into the buy-out money to get me a PS4. But my weekly availability limits me to the AHL times, and limits me to likely six games a week... I would need two outstanding managers who work together and with me to make that work. Which possible could be an issue.

LG offers a pile of cool stuff, from soccer to the LGHL, from the CHL to the NHL and even from PS4 to Xbox. I am proud that we can offer so much appealing stuff that people are on here playing everything every night but it comes to a point where a propriety has to be made. Our players have to stop biting off more than they can chew. As far as I am concerned, I am extremely open to dedicating times for ESHL. But the league is 1/20th of the LGHL, and sometimes carries forfeit rates of up to 22%, where the LGHL has 4%...

Our community just needs to come together, tell me what they want, how they want it, then commit to it.

That's kind my perspective right now, looking at the future of both the ESHL and LGHL.

I want to offer more to the top guys, event if that means those top guys stop playing LGHL and commit completely to ESHL. But I think we need to meet half way, because the time and effort that goes into getting sponsors and talking to 3rd parties and looking at legal aspects, then scheduling etc is a pile of work! Work I am willing to do unconditionally but not for an event riddles with forfeits and under appreciate players.

I am extremely interested to hear what our top guys have to say.

@Odieeeeee @Nuge @mashle93 @FlashDavin @BigJayAyotte @Chislett 19 @Tendy @Girgss @Trobs @NeNe @DarthForsberg <---LOL

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  6. McFleuryyy

McFleuryyy Well-Known Member

Discord:
    mcfleuryyy#0
    Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -52
    ESHL games are way too late for a lot of people cause they have a job or/and they go to school so it's probably the main reason why there isn't that much of sign ups for now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    McFleuryyyyy
  7. CT 66

CT 66 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    CT 66#7291
    Ratings:
    +353 / 45 / -39
    Could always make a buy in to play in the LGHL and add a prize pool to the winners, best of both worlds. People that don't want to buy in can play in the AHL or the CHL. It might also add incentive for the top players to play league again

• Like x 3
    • Creative x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Useful x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  8. Cydonian Knight

Cydonian Knight aka Sebby

Discord:
    sebby13#0
    Ratings:
    +1,513 / 29 / -74

If this happens, you will lose 80% LGHL sign-ups. We already have to pay 80$ for a shitty Game every year, no one will want to pay more to be in a League.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Sebby6138
  9. Hannah7Banana22

Hannah7Banana22 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,417 / 191 / -360
    So I would pay money to join and my hopes of winning would be dependent of what BRANDOVEDO does at the TDL? No thanks

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. dirtsaucesnipes

dirtsaucesnipes Well-Known Member

Discord:
    dirtsaucesnipes#0
    Ratings:
    +164 / 7 / -17
    If eshl games were played between 8 and 11 like lg it would get way more sign ups, I know my team would play again. I havent played ps for years beacuse of getting up early for work.

dirtsaucesnipes
  11. ThatZachGuy

ThatZachGuy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +596 / 35 / -36
    I'm like everyone else. It's the game times that make it impossible for me to play. A lot of the teams like to play 11:30 PM - 1:00 AM sometimes. There's no way I am making those games with having to wake up for work in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    It's multiple reasons. Like others have said, for some people the games are too late.

I think it has a lot to do with teams knowing they can't compete. So they feel like why should they spend the money and time to get demolished nearly every game.

@SweeT 9 LoU 84 what other games are you comparing NHL to?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Navigating Menus
    No Streaming Account
  13. Ammagitcha

Ammagitcha LW #93

Discord:
    Ammagitcha#5555
    Ratings:
    +355 / 10 / -41
    I dunno about others but with the amount of cheating going on in this community, I wouldn't pay a dime to be in a league where that and most likely politics would probably influence outcomes. Not to mention the bad servers. No thanks.

• Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. xJettx

xJettx Ojettchkin: Mem Cup Champ, Game 7 Legend, Chirper.

Discord:
    prolificjett#0
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 46 / -55
    Esports is a sponsor driven animal. Without EA backing the Esports side of NHL, and providing this league with the tools needed to be a competitive, and presentable spectacle then pay to play leagues will never be more than they are now. There is a difference between the ESHL we have now, and Esports. As of right now it's just a money league for people that want to play with their buddies. In order for the Esports side of things to take off, a whole new structure would have to be implemented. It would have to point based, with touraments and seedings all culminating in a final event.

You can't just pay money, and it call it Esports. If we could get these best teams playing, and get people watching the best teams playing, then and only then will ESHL really take off for this site and NHL itself.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    No Streaming Account
  15. GreasyGogan

GreasyGogan Chief of Heimbecker

Ratings:
    +1,722 / 66 / -49
    My 2 cents have all been addressed here already in a short period of time, which should indicate their level of influence to making this a reality.

#1: Game times for the existing ESHL have usually been too late for the general majority that would need to play to get this to the level it needs to succeed.

#2: A playable game that isn't a gong show of bounces and flukes that is NHL 17. Based on the BETA, NHL 18 appears to be a step closer to a much better product.

#3: We need the players to step up and get behind this. How does that happen? A clear and concise yearly outline of mini tournaments (Free-to-play and Pay-to-play maybe?), followed by playoffs and the championships (credit to @ScaryJoeyy for mentioning this earlier today in party with me). NHL 18 needs this to happen in the coming weeks so the community can choose a console and prepare themselves for a year long grind towards this goal.

This all seems like a daunting task to do all at once but if the foundation gets laid out now, we could begin to see sponsors sooner rather than later

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Jay_Rulez
  16. Reviive Legacy

Reviive Legacy Third Line TC

Discord:
    Reviive Legacy#8679
    Ratings:
    +682 / 92 / -51
    Here is my input on it. I think eSports can grow a lot and can be a lot of fun for players, but here are my concerns/suggestions:

3000+ people signed up for LGHL. Of those 3000 people, how many of them are new to the site? How many of them are just lazy? How many of them just don't think they can compete? How many of them are just confused on how it works? Why am I asking these questions?

-S27 LGCHL was my first season. I loved it, enjoyed it a lot. Got a pretty good idea of how things work over there, but honestly, this thread was the first time I ventured over to the eSports tab, and honestly, I only browsed for about 5 minutes or so, but as of this post, I still don't understand how it works completely. I'm still not sure of the price, sign up etc.

Someone who has been around this site for a few years now, probably just thinks I'm lazy and should just figure it out, and with time, I probably can. But, now ask yourself this question, how many of those 3000+ people think just like that scenario I described. They went to check out eSports didn't understand it and just left right away. Trust me there are a lot of people like that, I'm sure LG managers, owners, or people in life in general, have ran into a lot of people like that. I've had a lot of people ask me how the heck they even sign up for LGHL, let alone eSports. I'm not trying to bash on the site or anything like that. My suggestion though is to "dumb it down" a little bit for people that are less familiar with the site.

-Unless I missed it, I seen no sticky thread on the forum of "How eSports works, rules, or how to sign up?" Again just bear with me, I'll try to explain the best I can. So say, someone went over to eSports tab for the first time, they didn't understand it, so they went back to the LGCHL tabl/forum. Think of it from a marketing standpoint, that right there was your one chance to lure that person into playing eSports. Now, they just kinda forgot about it, and moved on. The addition of rules, how it works, or how to sign up stickied at the top, may have kept that persons interest. They go click on the thread, read about how it works, and think "ah this is kinda cool". How much does it cost?

So lets talk cost:
    Again honestly, I couldn't tell you the cost, but I'd recommend tier pricing.
    Amateur League, Pro League, Elite...etc.
    As mentioned higher up in this discussion, a lot of people don't think they can compete with these pro teams, so they don't even bother. If amateur league is some ridiculously low buy-in, that comes out to like $1 per person. Those people who thought they couldn't compete against the good teams now may be thinking "it's only a dollar, why not try it, whats the worst that can happen?". So that one person goes and tells 5 of his friends..etc. That team finds out they aren't as bad as they thought, they wanna raise the buy-in next season, so they move to the pro-league.

So after reading this, I hope you don't think I'm just too lazy, if he really wanted to play, he would just figure it out...because I do honestly think, that is the mentality of a descent percentage of the population of players. Its not a bash or hate on anyone. I think the staff and commish have done a very nice job making a very competitive fun experience for gamers. I just think, the easier it is for people to understand it, the more interested they will become.

-I also do agree with the above posts about games starting to late. I would love to play, but I'd never sign up when the games are that late because I would prefer more than 4 hours of sleep a night!

That s just my outlook on it and suggestions. I hope I explained my point here clearly. Hopefully it shed some light and helped! Staff, keep up the great work! If you need any help, just let me know ;/ Good Luck!

• Like Like x 4
    Revived_Legacy
  17. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    People second tag and cheat to win NOTHING in the LG.... imagine what money would do to the League..

You were one of them.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  18. CT 66

CT 66 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    CT 66#7291
    Ratings:
    +353 / 45 / -39
    Damn cheaters, what can you do