NHL 20 - Be the Player

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Cheez Whizzzzz, Dec 11, 2018.

1. keso_paghuni

keso_paghuni Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +720 / 1 / -5
    In old gen NHL games we've all felt like we had control over our player. As the game moved in to "next-gen" I have felt, like some others, that the game has been dumbed down and most of the game is decided on who gets the better animations triggered. NHL 19 is the worst offender, as a lot of 6's games between top teams are decided on which team gets the extra deflection animation at the right time.

What I would like to see for NHL 20 is complete control over your created player. One of the main arguments for 6's > VS/HUT is that people would rather play with humans than AI, which makes complete sense, but when the game is decided by random animations that aren't player controlled that doesn't hold a lot of weight to me.

You're only responsible for one player on the ice, so why aren't you responsible for everything that player does? That goes for pass interceptions, deflections, and maybe more. In NHL 19 the pass interception radius is insane, you could be facing the opposite direction and a skater will reach behind his (or her) back and make a Datsyuk like play on the puck. This is supposed to be a mode that is 100% human controlled. With this being the case, the game has turned in to a trap fest, collapse in the defensive zone, and hope for a bad goal.

This should be countered in development a few different ways.

1) Manual Pass Interceptions
    2 of the face buttons aren't used in 6s. I think one of them should be allocated to pass interceptions. If you're in a lane and a passing is coming, you should have to press a button to intercept the pass. Tapping the button would decrease your odds of intercepting the pass (so you can't just spam a button on defense all game and intercept everything). Your manual interception would be tied in to a multiplier based on Defensive Awareness and Positioning (along with speed of the pass, distance from the pass). The closer you press the button in relation to where the puck is to your skater, the higher chance of an interception, with a perfect button press would end with you gaining posession of the puck on a counter attack. Depending on how unsuccessful you are with the interception could lead to multiple outcomes (you deflecting the puck, the pass going through your player, or hitting your skates).

With this being a complete reflex based event, this would create a skill gap in defense between the Odies of the world and the rest.

2) Manual Deflections
    Would work very similar to the pass interception. Timing of the button press, along with a multiplier with Hand-Eye rating. One thing that could be added is Right Stick placement as well. Communicate with the defenseman taking the shot, tell him to shoot to the left, Hold in the RS to the left and time it well and get a great deflection. In NHL 19 all you have to do is stand there and it's 100% AI Controlled. For something that is so skill dependent in the real NHL (see Crosby deflections), it's crazy to think how awful it is in the game.

I think these two features are something that could only be implemented in 6's. The animations are already in the game, the user should control them, not the AI. For the pass interceptions, I think there would be a lot of testing that would need to be done, but that's what the gamechangers are for. People want this to be an esport, and while the likelihood of that is closer to 0 than 10%, I'd still like this to be a skill based game.

One final thing outside of that, goalies should actually have to challenge the shot. But we all know that. If I'm using a sniper with 94 wrist shot power and take a shot from the slot, even the high slot, it should have a solid chance to go in if the goalie is in his crease, and that's currently not the case.

I'd like to see these thoughts at least provided to the devs or get everyones opinion. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but the general consensus from the 6's community is that the game just isn't good.

• Like x 10
    • Winner x 8
    • Creative x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    Keso_Paghuni
  2. kid zxro

kid zxro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 9 / -6
    General consensus is the game fucking blows, and that no matter what we (or the gamechangers) tell the devs, nothing is ever done, the next patch comes out and makes the game worse, than we start over with a beta, that will eventually be ruined. So while suggestions are great, they wont be taken seriously. The dev team needs a total re-haul... enough with this horse shit game year after year.

Just give me a "NHL 14" patch that has everything set to what it was back then. Pretty pathetic people would rather play a 5 year old version of the game on old gen than they would play this trash.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  3. EliteBe4TheKids

EliteBe4TheKids Well-Known Member

Discord:
    elitebe4thekids#0
    Ratings:
    +457 / 1,376 / -1,549
    keso i wpuld cosign this but itll never happen. hope you dont get your hopes up

ridleywr24cb
  4. keso_paghuni

Ratings:
    +720 / 1 / -5
    Of course my hopes aren't up, I'd bet all my money on this not happening. This is just what I feel should be the next step in 6's gameplay

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Keso_Paghuni
  5. TheHeroicDuck

TheHeroicDuck Well-Known Member

Discord:
    theheroicduck#0
    Ratings:
    +1,215 / 13 / -60
    The game is fine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Troll Troll x 1
    TheHeroicDuck
  6. Nxckles

Nxckles AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Discord:
    Nuckles#4604
    Ratings:
    +1,400 / 21 / -41
    There are a million things EA could do to make the game better...and they will do none of them.

This has been blatantly obvious for a while and can't be said enough.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. Kpy86

Kpy86 Hi

Ratings:
    +539 / 7 / -23
    after playing 4 games, i consider myself an expert. I thjnk the issue with the game is thst it is just inconsistent. You will get an animation sometime amd not in a ridiculously similar situation. there is also way too many animations. Also it feels to me that the game is pretty much like it was for 17. not sure about 18 as I never touched the game.

• Like Like x 1
    kipper86
  8. D4D USA

D4D USA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    D4N USA#6332
    Ratings:
    +2,140 / 41 / -61
    It all doesn’t matter if we still have 30 lb loads of shit in our virtual diapers on the ice

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account
  9. PROfesser waLsh

PROfesser waLsh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 6 / -12
    Original post is a great suggestion, can't see any downside of this if its implemented properly.. More control, less automated animations which lock you up temporarily. Reflex's should be an important aspect of defense like it is in real life. It's annoying just standing in passing lanes hoping your dude snags the puck. I thought the defensive skill stick was gonna be a big part of intercepting passes, but it just feels like i'm a blind guy wagging around a stick hoping the puck hits it.

P.S the reverse toe drag is the worst deke in the world, you get locked into it for an additional second after completing the deke, not fluid at all.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. BLicK12

BLicK12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 9 / -12
    I'm not a game designer, but it seems to me that until there is a new engine created, this game wont change much. Having to have EA's version of puck possession in order to shoot, pass and skate the puck seems to be the root of a lot of the problems. Shooting wise, you can't one-time a puck consistently and you can't even consistently just hit a loose puck without first having to possess it while getting stuck in some animation. Keso touched on it, the animations and RNG (puck pickups, tips, interceptions) are the worst aspects of this game and they occur with regularity. I like the defensive suggestions, but the fact that EA hasn't even implemented a button to try and time deflections as an offensive player tells me that this, for defense, is inconceivable. Right now it just purely positioning and RNG.

BLicK1252
  11. CTastik91

CTastik91 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Morgz x 4#4444
    Ratings:
    +518 / 7 / -39
    My only concern with this concept is that it's 100% dependent on EA implementing it correctly, and not breaking the game in the process. Hopes are not high considering puck pickups have been broken for years.

No Streaming Account
  12. Known as Dub

Known as Dub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 4 / -6
    I would like them to up the top speed and lower acceleration. No reason players literally standing at the blueline should be able to turn and beat or cut off a puck carrier that is already in full hustle. This would increase zone entries and chip & chase would be a viable option if there was a full trap instead of trying 30ft high dump ins. Reward positioning and momentum. I’d make stick checking, pass deflection/interception, and hitting more effective if in a proper position as well.

More on topic of your original point: NBA2K does pass interception by (usually) requiring the player to press X to intercept, of course it’s janky and sometimes your guy will completely miss, but it’s better than auto-pick offs the entire game. Deflections could be like the defensive skill stick. Hold a button and move your stick right, left, up, down, diagonal directions. Pickups are crapshoots and generally garbage. Give the guy in better position the puck.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  13. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    That makes too much sense for EA to do it.

No Streaming Account
  14. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    Just port us NHL 09/10/11/12/13/14/15 and I'll be happy. I'd rather pay $60 for a 5-10 year old game than get NHL 20 for free.

• Like Like x 4
    No Streaming Account
  15. officialmark07

officialmark07 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,854 / 33 / -93
    I know in years past I wouldn't really trust the pass interception so I would always just poke it if it came near me. I think if they tuned intercepts down so you only pick up obvious passes that should never go through, then if you're out of position you can try to poke and maybe it works depending on timing etc. This would probably just promote spamming the poke in front of the net so maybe it has to be a different button.

I think deflections should be like chops where you have to hit R3. Obviously make the timing window smaller than chops to make it harder. The direction you "chop" will be the same general direction as the tip so you actually have to read where the G is sliding if that's what you want to do.

I'd like to adjust the hitting, but I guess it prevents everyone from playing like Cheaaaa and making the game even more boring to play/watch. It's not ideal, but it's the lesser of 2 evils. The other thing I would change are builds. Give everyone a 60 overall guy, and give them the 2500XP to make their guy the way they want. I don't need 67 hitting if my guy can't hit anyways. Let me put it on something that I could make better use of. This would also speed the game up because people would start putting 90-95 SPD/ACC/AGL on their guy.

The game really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Everyone just wants to complain about something. If this game came out in 14, and 14 came out this year people would complain about that game the way they did back when it came out.

Watch this game and the plays leading up to goals. They're all broken plays and lucky bounces.

• Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. Known as Dub

Known as Dub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 4 / -6
    I just want your pesky back to puck carrier defense strategy to die

No Streaming Account
  17. Fat Grl Hntr

Fat Grl Hntr Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +185 / 10 / -23
    Games fine IMO. I feel the aspect ratio of player size to rink size should be more accurately proportioned. 10 players on the ice gets a little too condensed for a video game and I feel more space would generate more creativity, therefore players would enjoy the game more.

But on the real and what I think it really boils down to is the level of competition with online gaming as a whole. Back in the earlier days of chel, a small portion of the gamers even owned a gaming monitor and didn't know what you meant when you said "input lag" or "TN Panel". When it comes to exposure like twitch and youtube where players can watch and study their game of interest just didn't exist. This generation is much more advanced with more and more players having the intuition to game serious and better themselves. The game IMO actually plays really fluid and nice. 6v6 players play smarter and chemistry/collapsing trumps skill more often than you would like it too. In theory, the game is about as realistic as it can get. Almost anyone on any given night can keep it simple, grab a turd and battle through a win like IRL.

Fat_Grl_Hunt3r
  18. Dr Tre 2001

Dr Tre 2001 TJ$

Ratings:
    +409 / 34 / -41
    Why don't we all just play next season of lg on the 360.

No Streaming Account
  19. keso_paghuni

Ratings:
    +720 / 1 / -5
    @officialmark07

I've complained nearly every year since NHL 10. I think people overrate NHL 11-15 on the 360. As the games progressed on the 360/PS4, there were a lot more luck based events that changed outcomes of games. Less than there is now, but those games weren't perfect.

@Lord x Finesse

If I understand you correctly, you're saying players have gotten better, more options to watch teams now, so the amount of players that know what they're doing has gone up. That's most likely true, but I disagree with your explanation of the outcome.

If this was correct, why do we only see a decrease in scoring? Every team can play a simple style. So how come since every team plays the same style, we don't see offenses countering that same style and score 4+ goals a game. You know how the other team will play, where every player will be, what they'll do in certain situations, so the offense should be able to adjust just as much as defense has. I guess we technically are seeing the adjustments, turd shots galore. Like @Known as Dub said, give us options. Let us gain speed in the neutral zone with a chip in, if the other team is flat footed and trapping, why can't the offense beat that with speed if they get around the players?

Because the animations and AI do nearly everything for you, defense is 99% positioning. That wouldn't be bad if positioning was some hard thing to do, but it's just staying between the puck and the net. Not even in a correct real hockey type of way where you want to pressure the puck carrier and have a stick in the shooting or passing lane, but just standing at any point between the puck and the net and holding LT.

There's great players at this game. When I play Versus I see players like @Yung Gren and JoshFearless do things that other people don't do, they stand out compared to any other player. When I play 6's I see good players, but the skill gap between @Gilleh and @D4D USA is a lot smaller in 6's than the equal to that in Versus, IMO. Someone like Gilleh who is an absolute freak at video games should be doing insane stuff in this game, and because of how the game is, it just doesn't let him. More reflex based events in the game would create said skill gap. Gilleh would be able to make ridiculous pass interceptions and deflections, and whatever other timing based animations you'd want to add.

Every night after the Oilers play there's usually some crazy McDavid highlight, where even if he didn't score, it's something that only he can do. What's in this game? Fearless playing Bad Intentions to a triple OT Neutral Zone Thriller that is won on an AI decided deflection? Sweet!

Keso_Paghuni