Top 10 Overpriced Bids

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by Spray_and_pray_, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Spray_and_pray_

Spray_and_pray_ Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Spray&Pray#1055
    Ratings:
    +536 / 35 / -62

Top 10 Overpays

Nothing can sink a roster quicker than an overpaid player. The bloated corpse of a financial albatross thins a roster, forces players to play over their heads, and makes it nearly impossible to move them for relief. Of course, it’s not the players fault their contracts large. Its the bidding teams, the market, the LG management team for removing players from eligibility after they’ve already been bid on, won, and placed on a roster…

Without further ado…

10. Curi0sity, LD, $9.75M
    Carolina Hurricanes

I like SoccaPlaya. I think he’s better than his numbers have shown. But the fact is he hasn’t put together a legit first-pairing season in LG since season 6, which is a lifetime ago in this game. He hasn’t put together a shutdown season in VG in over a year, which...is concerning. I don’t need to tell you that NHL ‘19 plays much differently than years past. In fact, LG itself has its own lifecycles. The first 5 seasons were entirely lacking in defense as 100 points seasons were consistent and everyone was hanging 70+ points. The next few seasons stabilized on NHL 18. Now NHL 19 plays as its own beast entirely. At 9.75M, there is significant risk that Carolina is drafting a player that is past his prime.

9. HazeeHype, RW, $5M
    Ottawa Senators

As I spend almost no time in the shoutbox, I have zero problem with Hazee. But he was paid as a top 10 RW in bidding this round. He’s never cracked 65 point - and more importantly, hasn’t cracked 54 points since season 6 - and hasn’t topped 16 wins since season 5. So, if you’re paying him like a first-liner, but he isn’t scoring points or getting wins, how is he worth $3million more than comparable wings? He’s not. He’s being paid off of name recognition alone. Overpay.

8. GoalieGods*, Center, $5M
    Tampa Bay Lightning

He’s a horrible player, no stick skills, and has no idea where to be in the defensive end. Giant, huge overpay. As a nice guy, the San Jose Sharks will take him off your hands for you. Trade him ASAP - to the Sharks - before he submarines your season.*

7. T47 Krug, LW, $9.5M
    Vancouver Canucks

We all know LG is about name recognition, and that’s fine. Guys like Chyz have earned respect through his history of competitive play. But if you’re going to spend nearly 30% of your cap on one player, does it really make sense to do it for a guy who hasn’t produced as a forward since season 3? There is serious risk involved with this contract. If you need a LW and Vancouver comes calling halfway through the season offering Chyz because he’s had a slow first 4 weeks, are you putting 30% of your cap on this bloated contract? Are you even able to fit him onto your roster? At his cost, you’re expecting him to carry your first, rip off 22+ wins, and be able to compete as the best player on your game 7 lineup. I think this is a large overpay.

6. TMills61_, RW, 9M
    Boston Bruins

Lets be very clear: for $9M, you’re signing him for his VG performance, not his LG performance. And, as anyone who has double-dipped in both leagues can tell you, the two are not comparable. It is significantly easier to hang 6+ point games against the dregs of VG than it is the dregs of LG. Cross-crease passes and breakaways are significantly more common in VG than LG. And, oh yeah, that career 3.25ppg in VG? It drops by more than half come playoff time (1.61ppg) when he has to actually play against semi-competent defenses. As an apples-to-apples comparison, TMills and I both play RW. Here are our stats for the last two seasons:

Spray: 38-16-1 (.703%), 117 Points, +53

TMills: 31-17-5 (.645%), 122 Points, +29

Is TMills a better player than me? I dunno, probably. But more importantly, is he so much better than me to make up for the delta between our contracts - $9M to 750K? Unequivocally not. Huge overpay.

5. Dankchank, C, $8.25M
    Winnipeg Jets

Truthfully, I don’t know a ton about Dank, so I could be off here. If he’s an elite two way center, than he’s probably worth the contract. But, more often than not, players that haven’t played in LG since season 5 are not ready to come out heavy against the top lines. There’s also not a whole lot in his resume that screams “Top line Center”. He played in the first few seasons of LG and was a mid-60’s point player. I’d expect he has a significantly harder time scoring that high now, only he’ll be putting up 50 points on a $8.25m contract. Again, could be very wrong here, but he’s going to have to prove it.

4. Canadas_Game416, $6.5M
    Boston Bruins

$6.5M for what is, basically, a 2nd line RD? Really want to pay $6.5M for 15 wins? I dunno. This seems like a huge overpay.

3. AlexDrum100, $5.75M
    Anaheim Ducks

So, we were in on Alex. Ideally, he would have fallen around $2.5-$3M. Due to a lack of second pair LD, we got into a bidding war for him. We actually had him at $5.5m. He still would have made the list at that price. He hasn’t played LG in two seasons and his last 4 seasons played he put up a 47-41-8 record with a +/- of -6. This contract will end up being an albatross, and, even though I’ve heard he’s a great guy, this was a monster overpay for average talent.

2. Sudzy92, RW, $8.25M
    Chicago Blackhawks

Let me be very clear: this is a horrible contract. Sudzy hasn’t been relevant since season 5, which as discussed earlier, was a higher scoring league back then. That was also my inaugural season in the NHL. I was on the Red Wings with Sudzy and even played a few games with him. After he had a hot start to the season, he instantly began line-dodging, and even no-showed to a few games so he could play against weaker competition. He wanted the puck, took too many shots, and it was clearly about points over winning. Since season 5, he’s fluctuated between bad to awful. This contract will not work out well.

1. KingKonz-, G, $3.25M
    Buffalo Sabres

I don’t care if he’s the best fucking goalie on the planet: 10% of your cap on a goalie is fucking insane. The huge benefit for the Sabres is, obviously, Josh’s free contract. Instead of optimizing that huge advantage, they burned it on a starting goalie. This has nothing to do with Konz’s ability and all to do with basic roster construction. He’s going to have to put together another phenomenal season to justify this cap hit, and even then it may not be worth it.

That's it. If this pissed you off, I don't care. People want more media, so here it is.

*Because people are, apparently, very dumb...GoalieGods is not actually a bad contract. Hes going to be well worth the $5million...after hes traded back home to the sharks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 42
    • Winner Winner x 11
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    better20yearsago
  2. WJP089

WJP089 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 60 / -178
    bravo!

No Streaming Account
  3. B-Bunny

B-Bunny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    No Streaming Account
  4. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    8. GoalieGods, Center, $5M
    Tampa Bay Lightning

He’s a horrible player, no stick skills, and has no idea where to be in the defensive end. Giant, huge overpay. As a nice guy, the San Jose Sharks will take him off your hands for you. Trade him ASAP - to the Sharks - before he submarines your season.

Can confirm

LazyPedestrian
  5. Konzy--

Konzy-- 1 Aye

Discord:
    Konzy#4934
    Ratings:
    +899 / 28 / -44
    cup check

• Winner x 16
    • Like x 8
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    konzzzy
  6. J_Rose_19

J_Rose_19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 5 / -16
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. xHyper-8

xHyper-8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    luvhyper#0
    Ratings:
    +1,160 / 31 / -54
    Great article bro.

No Streaming Account
  8. Captain--Luu

Captain--Luu Well-Known Member

Discord:
    captainluu#0
    Ratings:
    +147 / 4 / -7
    CaptainLuu
  9. Krazy-try

Krazy-try Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -5
    I like that

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Krazy_try
  10. DShakki

DShakki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 72 / -110
    Hey I avoided the list! My 2 cents. I was also surprised Dank went so high since he never plays. But when he does play he's one of the most enjoyable C's to play with. His style is unique and was built for nhl19. Konz at 3.25m is fine. The D class is weak, and D are overrated if you trap well enough. So, get a good goalie and you gucci.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Woytkiw8
  11. xWolf29x

xWolf29x I'm going to have to put you on hold

Ratings:
    +203 / 9 / -20
    This should stir the pot I like it . Good post spray <3

No Streaming Account
  12. foxpresentation

foxpresentation Well-Known Member

Discord:
    fox presentation#6580
    Ratings:
    +404 / 2 / -1
    Great article and a fun read.

fox_presentation
  13. Ducksfanwaterloo

Ducksfanwaterloo Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ducksfanwaterloo#0978
    Ratings:
    +1,113 / 21 / -65
    @Primetimme Knucklerz isn't on the list lets go!!!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
    Ducksfanwaterloo1
  14. JTresatti

JTresatti Kobe

Ratings:
    +1,059 / 74 / -117
    This is good stuff

• Like Like x 1
    jtresatti
  15. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169

WE DID IT

Primetimme1
  16. xChyzz

xChyzz Average Player, Exceptional Human Being

Discord:
    Chyz#5743
    Ratings:
    +520 / 18 / -36
    @Spray_and_pray_ well written imo. I was 4 ppg and leading LG 1/3 through the season in S4 before I got site banned (lmao). But I dont disagree with what you've written about me. Good shit.

Also Florida sniped me with 2 mins left to go for 7.25... just saying

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    Chyz
  17. zRobb-_-

zRobb-_- The Wayne Gretzky of sexual stuff

Ratings:
    +448 / 35 / -101
    Me

• Winner Winner x 1
    robshere
  18. XxJusT4TheShoWxX

XxJusT4TheShoWxX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +259 / 15 / -26
    Tbh goalie is huge part of the team 3.25mill for the best G not that overpaid G is important in this game we saw that last season

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Xxjust4theshowxx
  19. Schwartz_x9

Schwartz_x9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -1
    Where is my name?

• Winner Winner x 1
    Schwartz_x9
  20. GoalieGodz

GoalieGodz Well-Known Member