Bad ping & input lag improvement checklist

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by FreeZ-o-R, Apr 15, 2019.

1. FreeZ-o-R

FreeZ-o-R FreeZ-o-R

Discord:
    freez_o_r#0
    Ratings:
    +86 / 1 / -8
    I’m sure most of you would kill to eliminate lag. Some people can’t accept their configuration sucks and prefer to think everything is nice in their fantasy world. They think it’s not that bad but in fact they make us all pay for their trash.

Most of you know, only one lagger can have an impact on everybody. Slowing the synchronization , creating a delay even if your ping doesn’t show how bad it really is.

I’m no engineer but I took a lot of time to research and improve every details or understand about input lag or usual lag.

- Yes Wifi sucks , it’s subject to interference, more device on your Wifi will create spikes. Most of the time if you see spikes you’re the problem. Please hardwire this shit, stop finding reason not to do it , just do it. Wifi guys are cancers for the community.

- It’s your service provider’s responsibility to bill you for a service, it’s yours to select the right one. Let’s say you pay for a 50mb/s and you’re alone, there’s no way you should lag. Make sure they understand ping is your life, tell them you’re a no life gamer and you need a solid ping to feed your 11 unwanted children. Ping = results. Make sure they understand you will call or stay on the line until you’re satisfied. Usually you want to talk with the tech guys they know what to do, you’re not their 1st competitive gamer and they know you can be a pain in the ass if you don’t get your fix. ( tip : be the guy they want to help not the asshole they want get rid of ) if it’s a new installation to ping tear on multiple device before they leave.

• Ask them to open ea and ps4 ports.
    • Make sure you have the last modem, if you didn’t refresh the modem for years you should see an impact. Call and ask for the new version it’s free.
    • Ask them if they know other ways to improve your ping.

Now input lag or mud lag, this is very different, you can have a 12ms ping and still feel lag between when you press a button and see the action on your screen.

• Last generation of controllers canwork using USB instead of Bluetooth. Go in the settings and switch it if you can tolerate a cable.
    • TV ! Yes response time is important but do some research and see how it’s rated in terms of input lag. Even if important, Response time is still marketing , input lag = total result of your hardware. Make sure you’re on gaming mode, some screen will be on energy savings by default and may cut on performance to save on energy.
    • Put your ps4 on rest and allow downloads so you won’t start or finish download patches while playing.
    • Ps4 controllers are doom to fail, when joysticks start failing it can be progressive. Playing other games can help you detect slight changes. For example drifting or R3 issues is quite subtile while playing nhl but you will go nuts if you try playing COD withthat.
    • I suggest to maintain your remote yourself if you’re comfortable doingso, joystick drifting is easy fix.

I’m not sure why or even if it’s not in my head but turning off my tv receiver seems to have an instant impact on input lag. ( I’m using cable provider atm , I prefer fiber byfar tho)

I’m still looking for more solutions, if any of you have questions or new tricks please post on this thread.

If I’m wrong somewhere send me some proof and I will update my post.

At the end if everybody controls what’s controlable we will all win by havingsmoother games.

• Please ask all your west friends to move east or play curling instead. They are like parasites in the network ( lol )

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    freezor13
  2. RSall14

RSall14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 13 / -31
    The one thing that people get wrong for good reason is thinking wired mode for your DS4 helps. It does the exact opposite, for whatever reason the DS4 has more input lag in wired mode than it does in bluetooth. It makes no sense but it's been tested to be true.

RSall14
  3. FreeZ-o-R

FreeZ-o-R FreeZ-o-R

Discord:
    freez_o_r#0
    Ratings:
    +86 / 1 / -8
    Interesting ,I will keep researching, even with the last tuners & controllers ? Even if Bluetooth is reliable I read in some forum that when the battery is low it could have a bigger impact on the response time. Personally it felt instant when switching to wired but sometimes our brain tricks us to see what we want to see. If this is debunked officially please confirm!

freezor13
  4. RSall14

RSall14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 13 / -31
    Yes, even with the latest tuners and controllers. The OG DS4 without the light on the touch pad had the lowest amount of input lag. As for the low battery having an affect, I have no clue, it wouldn't surprise me if this were true though.

INPUT LAG BEST TO WORST:

OG DS4 > Gen 2 DS4(light on touch pad) > Gen 2 DS4 Wired

• Like Like x 2
    RSall14
  5. Mesmerize-_-

Mesmerize-_- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Mesmercack#9743
    Ratings:
    +263 / 7 / -15
    I could never kick field goals in madden unless I have my controller plugged in, if I don’t plug it in I get input delay on all the buttons, it’s really frustrating to play. Same goes for playing NHL, I’m not sure what the issue is, some have said maybe the Bluetooth in my PS4 is going out, I have yet to find a fix for it, bought a new TV, new controller.

XMesmerizeX