West vs East; Skill vs Excuse

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Devin Decibel, Jul 3, 2019.

?

Whats your avg ping on the server you hate playing on?

1. under 30

5.3%
  2. 40

8.3%
  3. 50

10.1%
  4. 60

11.0%
  5. 70

12.7%
  6. 80+

52.6%
  1. Manning x 76

Manning x 76 Halifornia

Ratings:
    +394 / 10 / -24
    East 21-23
    West 100-110

No Streaming Account
  2. HypaD-

HypaD- HypaD

Discord:
    HypaD#3352
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -2
    I can play on East but you definitely need to change your game style, I think i have played 2 west games this year, I've also noticed playing against people while on my connection the other team tends to sweat more. For example 5 guys on the blue line and in front of their own net. Making the game even harder than normal offensively.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Hyperd321
  3. JEEEEEEBS

JEEEEEEBS VHL REFUGEE

Ratings:
    +319 / 12 / -14
    Tech guy here:

- New York to Seattle is about 40ms latency.
    - St Johns Newfoundland to LA is about 55ms.

These are averages. But it's *very* geographically dependent. due to geography specific infrastructure, different ISPs, network routing, time of day etc. Anyone who's played games enough could noticeably tell the difference of as small as a 5ms delay. Add in that lag + normal human reaction time of 250ms (see for yourself https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime) and it makes sense why every ms counts.

EA has been verrry clear on the "host" situation. People still spread rumors like "the server is wherever the captain/home team is". That's false. They've stated it checks every player in the game, and wherever the majority are then that's roughly where the server will be located. They have some in West, Midwest, East and Pacific. There are about 5 locations for NA. If 7 players are in the west, and 5 in the east, the server will be in the west, and the east coast players will be at a natural disadvantage.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    JEEEEEEBS
  4. Eamonn

Eamonn Well-Known Member

Discord:
    eamonn#0602
    Ratings:
    +1,093 / 17 / -68
    If this were true why is it that when i'm the lobby leader of my club we get the closest server to Vancouver even when I know that everyone else in the game is east? I'm pretty sure the 'looking at majority' is just for HUT which is why I only get west or central connections in HUT and never east. You can without a doubt choose which server to play on based on who your lobby leader is and if you search first.

• Like Like x 1
    eamonnjcf
  5. Devin Decibel

Devin Decibel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -13
    Well there is match my region location button which may force the server your way.

Also club challenge works differently and does not use the aggregate ping of all players.

In either case, I would like to see a numerical ping indicator beside everyone's name in NHL 20.

• Winner Winner x 1
    DevinDecibel
  6. Axey19

Axey19 Krawch's Uncle.

Discord:
    axey19#0
    Ratings:
    +189 / 26 / -15
    Another issue that hasn’t been mentioned is delay on low ping. My region server is 29-32. Central 45-60. West 80-110.

This is far less common but I’ve played some games at 65 ping where it was absolutely perfect... then I’ve played some games on 29 ping where I have a major delay.

Anyone know why this is?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Get Good Get Good x 2
    No Streaming Account
  8. Known as Dub

Known as Dub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,641 / 4 / -6
    It’s anecdotal, but west players rarely complain about ping, but if east players are on a western host the sky is falling.

UNPLAYABLE

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    No Streaming Account
  9. bmasker15

bmasker15 Dad

Discord:
    bmasker15#7266
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -2
    Like Buck said above, being a goalie on 90-110 ping is a huge difference from my normal 15-25. To save a cross crease on west I have to leave the short side super early and hope the puck carrier doesn't shoot. Second chance saves are almost non existent on west. RGD is correct in saying that west benefits west players because they are used to majority east connection, so when the opposition is slowed down, they get the slight advantage.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. bmasker15

bmasker15 Dad

Discord:
    bmasker15#7266
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -2
    If 8/10 games are on east, both sides would be used to playing with that connection.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. JEEEEEEBS

JEEEEEEBS VHL REFUGEE

Ratings:
    +319 / 12 / -14
    A) Have you done the tests and watched your network traffic to know you're actually getting a Vancouver server, or just your unqualified opinion?
    B) Have you tried Googling this? Not only has EA posted this 10+ times on their forums, but they even have a patent on this technology for host matching. It's used in other games too. Why did you bring up HUT? It's P2P, it wouldn't need host selection.
    C) "You can without a doubt ", sorry bud, but I'm going to *doubt* your own personal opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    JEEEEEEBS
  12. Eamonn

Eamonn Well-Known Member

Discord:
    eamonn#0602
    Ratings:
    +1,093 / 17 / -68
    A) I don't know the exact locations of servers but I know the different set ping numbers I get to the 5 servers and through deduction have a general idea of where servers are. Someone who works for EA did tell me the 11 ping server I connect to is in the Vancouver/Seattle area (this was shortly before they added 2 more servers in March-ish).

B) I don't care if EA has stated this. Whoever is saying that doesn't know how their own game works (at least for EASHL). I'd go prove it to you but it's kind of hard to test without a bunch of other people to test with. Through hundreds of games this year where I check my ping and ask our lobby leader where he is from, I've found that what I'm saying it true. And most would agree with me on that. Like I said, I can be the leader in a game with all east players and it will be my 11 ping north west server. If any east players want to run a 3s lobby and give me host to prove it hit me up lol.

EA added dedicated servers to HUT in January. Your info is outdated.

These are my experiences and do not line up at all with what you are saying. Maybe it was true in the past? NHL18 was home team gets server whereas 19 is who searches first, so it could change yearly, idk I didn't play EASHL pre-18.

• Like Like x 1
    eamonnjcf
  13. VVaGs82

VVaGs82 Mr Irrelevant

Discord:
    vvags82#0
    Ratings:
    +1,500 / 57 / -72
    I can confirm that EA has absolutely no clue about how there networking works

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    wags82
  14. Ezreal

Ezreal Manic Men

Discord:
    sainnnner#0
    Ratings:
    +675 / 21 / -96
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. Cokenetsxv

Cokenetsxv Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Cokenetsxv#0092
    Ratings:
    +296 / 15 / -38
    I have 10-15 ping on east coast, on west I have 85-110 ping.

TheAlliane96