* New * OFFICIAL NHL 20 Beta Review Thread

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by LG-McDonald, Jul 26, 2019.

?

How Do You Like The Beta So Far?

1. Great!

53.9%
  2. Terrible!

46.1%
  1. RGDeded

RGDeded Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 47 / -134
    So far i am really enjoying the beta. My only complaints so far would be
    1) passing speed. You can charge a pass but it just releases a dud although 1 touches are improved and u can really keep a cycle going or break out easy.

2) there are times when you take a backhand shot and your player spins to a forehand animation

3) the flickering of the scoreboard on the pp. Im not against the scoreboard location as ive played more games ive noticed it less and less just need to get used to looking down to check the time which im sure will be an easy adjustment although i do think they can make it thinner.

Overall it feels like a very good game and i dont think ive been part of a game where the better team hasnt won which is a nice sign that skill gap is coming back. Granted this is still very early and we are playing a dated product that will be much different than the game at release but it is definitely a step in the right direction

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ReallyGooodDad
  2. erinssilence

erinssilence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +709 / 28 / -83
    I just don't get how a group of people can be so bad at making something and continually keep their job and get paid. It's absolutely astounding. If it was anyone else at any other job they would have been canned a long time ago yet these same people keep spitting out the same shitty ass game over and over again. They add in absolutely pointless game modes to cater to the battle royale trend but forget that the main reason people play a hockey game is for either 6's (EASHL, VS, or HUT) or 3's and not to jump on whatever band wagon thing is out there. Then on top of that they add all these aesthetic things that are 150% not necessary for the game. I think I can say that most of just want a functioning game and could give a rat's ass about whether or not we have cool little pre-game celebrations/dance moves.

Overall here is my take beyond my above complaints:
    - FIX THE FUCKING SCOREBOARD OVERLAY. Only spot I can think of that would be worse is right in the center of the screen so good job fucking that up.
    - skating actually feels ok when you're going north-south but the minute you move east-west or try to backskate the game becomes awful. A Dman that can't keep any speed going when backskating is just simply something that should not exist. I get making it to where they don't go full speed but a Dman shouldn't go from full speed to backskate to having to fully accelerate again.
    - pokes are meh still but I can live with that
    - stick lifts need to be fixed. I like the positioning aspect and giving penalties for bad positioning but if someone gets stick lifted it shouldn't end up in a loose puck that the ends up magically in a better spot for the puck handler to pick up and be around the D
    - passing is awful right now. one touches dont seem to work and then the aiming seems to be way off as well.

Even if this beta is supposedly 8 weeks behind where current development is, it is still super alarming to me that some of these things aren't fixed or are non-existent. In my opinion, gameplay should always be the first and foremost feature that is looked at and should be tuned to where they think it is at its final stages when they release the beta. All the visual things and the aesthetics should be the last things added in once they have gameplay locked down but clearly isn't the case here. They choose to polish a turd and forget that it's ultimately still a turd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    memphisonfirex
  3. Zanderman6

Zanderman6 Cup Check

Ratings:
    +321 / 45 / -55
    The person that made the scoreboard has probably never even played the game and thought it looked good for a broadcast.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  4. X Scorgsm

X Scorgsm Well-Known Member

Discord:
    multipl_scorgsm#0
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    As a goalie:

Cons

-post to post for wraps are still slow
    -manual cover wouldn't cover the puck 3/4 of the time
    -goalie still doesn't track puck correctly
    -getting sniped from Blueline when slightly moving left/right to track puck carrier
    -attributes still low ( would be nice to increase goalie speed a little more without sacrificing weight)
    -get rid of the shadowing on ice, hard to track puck
    -goalie interference needs some work
    -shortside shots going in even when in perfect position
    -deflection shots go in way too easier when in position

Pros

-new goalie animations are better
    -scoreboard isn't bad, at least it not blocking view on left side point
    -auto hug post is nice for one timers
    -rebound control is good

Overall from the few games I played it's not that bad, a little bit of tweeking and shouldn't be that bad of a game

• Like Like x 2
    multiplscorgsm
  5. zMON5T3R

zMON5T3R Well-Known Member

Discord:
    zmon5t3r#0
    Ratings:
    +347 / 33 / -64
    Passes are a little slow and on D i feel like the fowards have bursty speed its hard to get involved in offense. The goalies rebounds are finally getting cleaned up, Overall though i think its going to be better than 19 when they make the neccessary tweaks.

No Streaming Account
  6. Dobsyy l6l

Dobsyy l6l Well-Known Member

Discord:
    dobsyyl6l#0
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Goalie need help

No Streaming Account
  7. LLcoolSam5855

LLcoolSam5855 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1
    Goalie for 18 and 19 especially 19 was improving , now they its crap for now in this beta , really bad

No Streaming Account
  8. l Atkinson l

l Atkinson l DankKRUG47

Ratings:
    +3 / 2 / -7
    And they all are trash

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Vaporize 17

Vaporize 17 Clamps Island

Discord:
    T1 Clamps#5322
    Ratings:
    +830 / 21 / -48
    Passing Accuracy needs to be better also increase touch pass accuracy. The scoreboard is definitely an Issue for defensemen in corners if puck is dumped also feel like im gonna have a seizure with the edm party on a powerplay. Everything else in the game is fine imo maybe up the stick lifts a tad bit feel naked on defense.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Vaporize_17
  10. Hammy x 27

Hammy x 27 Hammy x 27#1593

Discord:
    Hammy#1593
    Ratings:
    +416 / 18 / -13
    Deflection goals are aids...
    you can be in perfect position playing the deflection and it still goes through goalies body... start with that

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Hamburgluer
  11. EliteBe4TheKids

EliteBe4TheKids Well-Known Member

Discord:
    elitebe4thekids#0
    Ratings:
    +457 / 1,376 / -1,549
    id give it a 6/10 but still leaps and bounds better than 19. its an Improvement but that's not saying much since 19 was hands down the worst game in franchise history . hitting needs massive increase. guys skate right into you after coming around the net and they just roll off the hit of my 195 lb 2way forward build. puck pickups are horrendous. I have only played 15 beta games and I've already skated over more pucks than I did in 300 club games in 19. We had the puck go through the boards in the corner once a game too. also slap shots are way too fast, they are like 200 mph. goalies need a massive increase as well.

ridleywr24cb
  12. RaZCuL

RaZCuL Well-Known Member

Discord:
    RaZCuL#8291
    Ratings:
    +80 / 20 / -16
    I personally dont mind the game knowing it's a beta "rough run" of the game just hope they fix certain issues I agree with most of the problems ppl are having an agree with most of the positives

razcul78
  13. WJP089

WJP089 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 60 / -178
    that scoreboard gave me an epileptic seizure.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. Blackngold37

Blackngold37 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 120 / -199
    Holy shit. 3rd game I've played on the beta and this score clock and commentator are already annoying as hell. Volume off only way to cope with playing. What an idiot

No Streaming Account
  15. Batman2073927

Batman2073927 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 9 / -29
    Yup idk why anyone thinks this game is gonna be any different then past years every year they spew how much the fixed only to be let down again when the game is released doesn't surprise me one bit

No Streaming Account
  16. StonewallSieve

StonewallSieve Well-Known Member

Discord:
    StonewallSieve#6688
    Ratings:
    +120 / 5 / -18
    AI goalies are OP as hellllllllll

Cut scene animations are weird and straight from Ready Player One

Cut scene *HIGHLIGHTS* are somewhat cool but would be MUCH better from broadcast camera angles and not ice level

Passing skating and puck pickup feel clean and dekes feel easier and less clunky from '19

The beta in it's current state definitely favors small danglers/sniper which works for me :D

(But i do not think it's great, it's definitely a game in beta stage and needs some tuning)

Stonewallsieve
  17. I GetBusy I

I GetBusy I Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 3 / -8
    Bring back Custom builds.
    Also, forward builds shouldn’t be available for Dmen and Defense builds shouldn’t be available for forwards.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    Pass speed is inconsistent.
    One touches need tuning.
    I like that there are no bumps but someone 6'1 can't even bump someone who is 5'7.
    Backhand wraps for some reason always make players spin forehand.

No Streaming Account
  19. iSHOOTSfromDEEPS

iSHOOTSfromDEEPS Well-Known Member

Discord:
    grammyhands#0
    Ratings:
    +91 / 3 / -10
    Up 5-0. They quit. We lose. Cool game.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  20. Wingnutdrw53

Wingnutdrw53 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Wingnutdrw53#1228
    Ratings:
    +269 / 27 / -182
    The game plays much slower... the turning animations are good, but the passing seems to be off. It is impossible to make a hard pass, even if you hold the pass button down. Puck speed is very off. If you want to make a hard pass across the slot to an open man for a 1 Timer, it will get intercepted now 9-10 times even though you want to make a hard pass and there is an open lane. Needs a buff big time. This is what I’ve noticed the most. Commentary is good. Much needed change.

No Streaming Account