NHL ALL STAR Selection

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweetLou9208, Aug 1, 2019.

?

Should All Stars be chosen based on the statistical season they had or value

1. Stats

17.4%
  2. Value

11.1%
  3. Combination of both

77.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    We will be choosing All Stars at the end of the season or rather have we have ran it the last few season as ALL NHL TEAM. We will be doing EAST and WEST with an award as well as trophy points for being selected. There will be no game. We will choose 4 LINES, 12 FWDs, 8D and 3Gs from each.

EAST
    12 FWDS
    8 DEF
    3 G

WEST
    12 FWDS
    8 DEF
    3 G

Now the last couple seasons there have been some debate. Should All Stars be based on STATS or Value. More and more teams have been running consistent FULL LINES in LG which started to result in The All Star selections being almost 3 to 4 players from a single line and resulting in a lot of top teams having 2 lines on the all star team. Some people had an issue with this while others think All stars should be awarded for great statistical seasons. I think it should be a little of both, stats and value but then how do you take a guy off the team who is part of those lines. Do we just assume who is carried, do we punish the guy with the lowest stats or do we just put them all on there. Then from a value standpoint, what is the bar that should be set for an "all star" season. Is it stats minimum, W+OTLs minimum, % of teams points earned, if theyre traded does that factor in.

Anyways were open ears like always and want to hear what you guys think we should do or how you would like us to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  2. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    Even if someone is getting 'carried' if they are having an awesome statistical season, they should be rewarded for it. I think if the numbers are close between 2 guys and you need to choose 1, then you take the guy that you deem more valuable. Whole idea of an all star thing is to acknowledge people that had standout seasons. I don't think anyone would argue that the 3rd wheel on the STL top line is better or more valuable to his team than me, but statistically he's having a great season, so something like that should be rewarded.

Just my 2 cents, but just having all stars at all is always nice

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    JClaus33
  3. Fxwst

Fxwst Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370 / 28 / -53
    Agreed

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    This is how we have done it bc all stars should be for statistical seasons. We caught a little backlash last season bc the all stars basically consisted of a couple teams top 2 lines. We like to give everyone in the community a chance to voice their opinion and weigh in on all star selection and award. Appreciate your feedback, the more the better

SweeT9LoU84
  5. l Doughty l

l Doughty l Jeremy

Discord:
    Doughty#9625
    Ratings:
    +456 / 27 / -57
    I think if someone has played easy lines all year man that has to be put into consideration, there is a strength of schedule for a reason, points are valuable but how valuable are they when you’re beating the other team by 5? You know what I mean, obviously there is much more depth needed to go into the statistics, but I think if there are 2 good players and one may have better stats but not by much, at any position, and the player with a few less points has a good record and beaten good lines all year it’s a no brainer.

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Doughtyy_NHL
  6. ItsTip777

ItsTip777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 14 / -16
    In my opinion all stars are the guys who had the best statistical season compared to their peers. Value of a player to a team is something that needs to be considered when determining the MVP but probably not all star. With that being said some of the factors that are considered in Value are also important in determining who had the “best statistical season”. Strength of schedule/opponent, with and without you stats, and relative player stats (comparing a player to their own team) are all things that could, and in my opinion should, be considered for all star and the “best statistical season”. Value is always tricky to determine because it’s so subjective but as long as something is quantified in an objective way that can be compared to other players I think it’s fair to include that in selecting all stars. Obviously it requires a lot of work to get those stats just for all stars so I’m not sure how realistic it is.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. D4D USA

D4D USA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    D4N USA#6332
    Ratings:
    +2,140 / 41 / -61
    It’s a ton of work to look at stength of schedule for all star nominations because it’s so many players. Strength of schedule comes into play a lot for the year end awards, but I don’t think it is feasible to have it hold a ton of weight for all stars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. l Doughty l

l Doughty l Jeremy

Discord:
    Doughty#9625
    Ratings:
    +456 / 27 / -57
    Idk Dan I disagree because guys have 5+ points a game against bad players and they pile points up that you don’t think should be taken into consideration?

Doughtyy_NHL
  9. D4D USA

D4D USA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    D4N USA#6332
    Ratings:
    +2,140 / 41 / -61
    There’s 4 lines that make it from each conference. When you start looking at it, this doesn’t have as big of an impact as you would think. Both players that rack up pts vs easier teams and players with decent stats vs top teams can be included. It’s just hard to say someone like slim shouldn’t be included cause they don’t play tough competition when his stats are so high (talking for asg, not for year-end awards)

No Streaming Account
  10. Nealerr

Nealerr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    x Neal x 18 x#7178
    Ratings:
    +432 / 20 / -14
    Tough to call them all stars when they've played each bottom team multiple times in a season and lost against every playoff team they've faced. Sorry but if I just schedule myself against the worse teams all season and put up 2ppg on D, is it really impressive at all? I'd say not. Don't think every players lines need to be looked at but more or less when the list is narrowed down it should probably be factored. If you need help lmk.

• Like Like x 1
    NealiteGaming
  11. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 325 / -613
    Western All-Stars:

Edmonton + A few others.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Troll x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  12. IM HEARTLESS323

IM HEARTLESS323 IM THE GREATEST EVER

Discord:
    IM HEARTLESS323#0904
    Ratings:
    +951 / 283 / -258
    :team23:

ALL-Star here

:team23:

• Get Good x 3
    • Dumb x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    im_heartless323
  13. Archon Assassin

Archon Assassin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +214 / 63 / -60
    Basically what you're trying to say is choose Archon for the Flyers Rep eh?

• Troll Troll x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    archonassassin
  14. Mr WorldWlde 69

Mr WorldWlde 69 LG Mcdonald is the best!

Discord:
    Mr WorldWlde 69#5585
    Ratings:
    +2,300 / 563 / -1,177
    Worldwide for Allstar team

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. Eamonn

Eamonn Well-Known Member

Discord:
    eamonn#0602
    Ratings:
    +1,093 / 17 / -68
    A simple solution for removing full lines of players from the all-star is to just require 1 player from every team in the league like they do in real life. Use the advanced stats stuff like scoring factor percent and all that to decide which player (or players) from a line deserve to be there.

• Like Like x 7
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    eamonnjcf
  16. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    The problem I see with this is that in the real NHL even the shitty teams usually (not always) have a player or two worthy enough of being an all-star... But that's hardly the case with the crappy teams in LG where there are many teams who have zero players that you could honestly say are worthy of being an all-star.

• Like Like x 2
    bossy_22_
  17. AZDvo

AZDvo Rocket Winner and #1 Ranked Player in Arizona.

Ratings:
    +1,666 / 27 / -48
    I've always been a fan of at least one player from each team, anybody can play with 5 elite players and put up top numbers but the guys who play in difficult situation and still perform are really the ones who deserve credit.

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  18. Dame l13l

Dame l13l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 43 / -48
    I nominate @Scrotale 17 for carrying my ass all season.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    For me I think it makes sense to let management submit nominees from their own teams, 2-3 per team. They may decide someone with 10 less points but had better avail, was more flexible with linemates, deserves recognition that they wouldn't get from someone outside the team. The committee can narrow it down from there and post a vote of some sort.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    No Streaming Account
  20. TheHeroicDuck

TheHeroicDuck Well-Known Member

Discord:
    theheroicduck#0
    Ratings:
    +1,215 / 13 / -60
    Exactly, for example JJr only has 16 points against playoff teams. That means he has 54 points against bottom feeders which is the majority of his games. Is it all star worthy to pile up points against shitters like poopie? I dont think so

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    TheHeroicDuck