Media Has LGHL become Stale

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweetLou9208, Dec 18, 2019.

?

Has LGHL become stale?

1. Yes

68.6%
  2. No

31.4%
  1. a Living Pylon

a Living Pylon Keyboard Warrior

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -1
    I used to love playing LG. Played quite a bit.

There are two reasons I lost interest and stopped putting energy into it:
    1) Small changes, year after year, while keep game-breaking aspects and bugs while adding more of them. Being a goalie is a joke. It is a shame because as someone who plays goalie in actual hockey, I LOVE it.

2) Cliques and skill. I won't name names. But I've found that people in the NHL and AHL levels are more interested in playing with their friends, regardless of skill level, and dictating how it goes from there. I think a re-evaluation of how people qualify for the AHL and NHL may be an idea. Or at least the NHL.

I could see the CHL and AHL being more casual levels, but then making the NHL highly competitive for the people that like that sort of thing.

It really reminds me of X1 (yea, shoot me now) back when they had their population surge and had an NHL and AHL. Where anyone could be anywhere and a small group of people won it all from the start.

It is nice we all want to play with our friends, but there are times where is just doesn't fit.

TL;DR: I think we need to make a competitive level and a casual level. (Competitive could be more cutthroat, like produce results or risk losing spot).

Beats having game requirements and very similar rules applied to all three leagues where the difference is the LG staff, team names and jerseys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. wadesworld2112

wadesworld2112 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    wadesworld2112#1032
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -4
    I play with anyone and everyone, so I've seen this issue from both ends.

Backing out, whether because you know you'll get waxed, or whether because you're "ego'ing" a lesser team is a necessary. If you're a highly skilled team it really is no fun to play people who can't compete. You can't wait for the game to be over. And being on the losing end is even less fun.

I think your suggestion of hiding names would lead to even more frustration.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    What’s your reasoning behind saying lower tier mgmt will be at a bigger disadvantage?

4. NINETY ElGHT

NINETY ElGHT Warning Group

Discord:
    Ninety Elght#9689
    Ratings:
    +827 / 29 / -86
    They would be at a major disadvantage with the current format. A 2 line league would be ideal for a lot of reasons, but there would need to be a major rework on our current format. A ton of work would need to go in to find a successful formula for a 2 line league.

• Winner Winner x 1
    NINETYElght
  5. xCHAMPx75

xCHAMPx75 xCHAMPx75

Ratings:
    +36 / 3 / -4
    But if the top team puts out there top players every other night and no one can stop them how is that fun if the top lines are spread out more better chance for bottom feeders to win som more game’s against the top teams. If they want to make league more interesting then start drafting from scratch. Maybe have a seven player protected list. Just an idea.

No Streaming Account
  6. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    Those lower tier managers would literally now have to play in half of their teams' games, compared to only needing to play in 1/3 of the games with the current system. Third line managers in the current system have built competitive teams/playoff teams. They will stand zero chance in a two-line league.

Hell even a pair of 2nd liners managing together would be at an extreme disadvantage against management duos like Jclaus/Joey, Jakoo/Odie, etc. who will literally be capable of having multiple top end game 7 players in every single game, whereas those 2nd line managers might be lucky enough to get one game 7 player in bidding?

I'm not saying the league should add a 4th line, but I've seen people mention that as well, and it's far more logical. More players would mean more games a week, and the seasons don't have to drag on. More lines gives "weaker" owners a chance to do a better job building their bottom two lines to stand a chance at competing against more skilled managers who might not take building their lesser lines as seriously. Obviously you'll end up with blowout games of first lines vs fourth lines, but those types of games happen under any format.

There's never going to be a perfect solution to make a two-line league work. I don't know if LG has the player base to make 4 lines work either, especially since signup numbers will probably fall on this crappy game. A lot of changes would need to be made for either scenario, and neither of them will be significantly better than the current format.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    bossy_22_
  7. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    they would also be playing these games with better players though because of the removal of third line players...

can you explain to me why a top tier management pair has a better chance of getting a top player in bidding than a lower tier management does? Wouldn’t this lower tier management just have two less game 7 players (being themselves)? Explain to me your quote of “2nd line managers might be lucky enough to get one game 7 player in bidding.” All managers, whether it’s poopie snoopy or myself, have equal opportunity to win a player in bidding.

the whole point of the two line league would be to avoid these blowout games/forfeits that happen when a 1st line matches a 3rd line. you can’t say that these blowout games are unavoidable.

• Like Like x 2
  8. l Bossy l x 22

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    I didn't say either team would have a better chance at getting a game 7 player in bidding. You literally explained what I meant with certain teams starting off with 2/10 skaters being game 7 players vs other teams starting off with 2/10 players being third liners. There will always be lopsided games. They happen at every level in every league of every sport. Saying blowouts would be avoided in a two line league isn't close to true.

bossy_22_
  9. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    Interesting reads keep em coming

SweeT9LoU84
  10. GiveMeDaPuck

GiveMeDaPuck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 3 / -24
    it's not an issue of them not being able to get the player, but I think it is a big issue of getting that player to actually commit to being a member of your team. Ego'ing is a real issue and it will always be a big detriment to the league.

if the league goes into a 2 line direction (I dont think it's a bad idea) I think it needs to coincide with 2 things:

1. Only 1 free contract manager per team, any other management would be assigned after bidding

2. Anyone interested in management must make themselves available for every level, and a selection committee assigns management to tiers starting from the NHL down.

This ensures the highest probability of the most skilled managers ending up at the highest level possible.

Assigning AGM's after bidding is a little radical, but if you're really concerned about getting someone skilled as your AGM, then you need to win them in bidding. The downside to this is of course the possibility that all of the management work would be left on one person if they didnt secure an AGM in bidding, but I think some of that can be smoothed over by tweaking rules to put a little more responsibility on the plates of the players (stats, gathering, etc. now falls onto all players on a line as opposed to 1/2 managers).

The vast majority of people I've met playing in this league are either young adults or older, it shouldn't be too much to ask that at least 1 player on each line take on a minimal amount of responsibility in ensuring a team runs smoothly.

My final suggestion, allow managers to assign a player rating for all of their players at seasons end. This will not be based on skill, but rather a players attitude and their ability to help out and maybe a rating based on how well they play with others. Having someone with a "cancerous" rating next to their names may help less experienced owners from bidding on someone who will just ego them anyways. This could be abused, but our managers should be held to an even higher standard than players and if we're worried about that than our management selection process is wrong from the get go.

GiveMeDaPuck
  11. CTRAlN 15

CTRAlN 15 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +671 / 142 / -106
    2 line league and a draft I think is the best way to go at it

ctrain2002
  12. ACE 22 QC

ACE 22 QC Burning Thumbs

Ratings:
    +105 / 158 / -315
    Jeez. I almost got banned for saying much less

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. Farfadet92

Farfadet92 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 12 / -29
    The game is stale.

• Informative Informative x 1
    farfadet92
  14. trevwings

trevwings 2nd best Trev in LG

Discord:
    TrevWings#8296
    Ratings:
    +1,012 / 47 / -81
    I don't get these people saying they want four lines. The talent is already watered down with a lot of third lines up here. Adding a 4th line will just have everything worse in terms of blowouts and ffs, not to mention making bidding longer and more complicated. 2 line league+draft is the way

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  15. RGDeded

RGDeded Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 47 / -134
    Im all for a 2 line NHL. AHL and CHL should remain the same.

Next to building a competitive team the next biggest obstacle in Management is dealing with your players. Going from managing 17 players to 12 makes life much easier on management. It practically guarantees a manager will be in every game and communicating. There are so many egos in the league and teams would run so much smoother if you get rid of 5 players.

The league is at a point where you can almost guarantee 13/16 playoff teams and you can bank on roughly the same amount to be bottom feeders...… BEFORE BIDDING. Taking away that 1 line will make the NHL much more competitive and most likely bring in more managers because it is less work. Obviously there would need to be some restructuring with Salary Cap and Free Contracts etc but as far as spicing things up I think this is something we should take seriously. It adds more skill to the AHL and gives teams better ECU's.

Another thing I have mentioned is separating the NHL and AHL so AHL players rights are assigned to NHL organizations how CHL players rights are assigned. Split the draft NHL gets 64 picks AHL gets 64 picks. This will make NHL management more appealing for players who have had continued success in the AHL while allowing teams to focus primarily on their organization. As an owner I constantly get put between and rock and a hard place dealing with frustrated AHL or CHL players not liking something or being unhappy and I am somebody who gives my AHL free reign on what the want to do. If needed to step in obviously I will but I don't want to be running 2 teams and thankfully I haven't had to but there are issues that happen and fires to put out. Managing less players makes management much more appealing to me and I am sure others.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    ReallyGooodDad
  16. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +831 / 54 / -127
    I had suggested a couple years ago @Mr Ray Shero to separate the NHL and AHL but was told that it is not like real life so it wouldn’t be done. I think we need to get away from that mentality as the game itself is not like real life so our league should make rulings based on what makes it the most fun.

Separating prevents one NHL owner from totally screwing over his AHL team if he can’t keep his team together. IF TC’s were assigned to NHL like they are in the AHL it would also stop NHL teams from putting bids on AHL guys with the idea that they will be calling them up. Just another way to stop owners from manipulating the AHL bid session.

Another idea is that you could do a TC draft for the NHL.

No Streaming Account
  17. l Bossy l x 22

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    To counter this... Instead of having one team (your NHL affiliate) who's job is to ensure the success of the entire organization, AHL teams would now be at the mercy of 32 different NHL teams regarding potentially calling up their players (like the CHL has with the AHL currently). The CHL has prospects who can't be called up, while the AHL would only have their free contracts who can't be called up (and their AHL DPs if we did a draft format like that). AHL teams would be screwed when bans and NHL teams like Minnesota still end up happening.

Why would the AHL want this?

bossy_22_
  18. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +831 / 54 / -127

You’re not wrong, but at least when a team in the N folds the players will be taken across the league versus screwing a whole team over in the A. Maybe include a rule that states only certain people can be called up to the N. I haven’t figured out what that rule would be yet tho.

No Streaming Account
  19. Trae x8

Trae x8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trae#0
    Ratings:
    +469 / 37 / -87
    Yeah thats really true how ahl teams can get gutted right now. Once an nhl team has trouble with a roster i feel like it snowballs the whole organization to scramble for players to still have good teams. Or forces nhl teams to call up chlers if they want to let their ahl managers stay competitive. Especially when you are talking about the bottom teams that become toxic or everyone wants off the team.

I think random assigned ahlers has some solid pros

20. donnybrah

donnybrah Better At EASHL Than Im4thLineWorthy

Discord:
    donnybrah#0690
    Ratings:
    +290 / 29 / -40
    I don’t think I’m going to sign up for upcoming seasons unless I see significantly better management teams. I was traded to the bottom team in the league and Venom decided to not make any trades even though I had offers worth more than what I’m worth on the table. Being held hostage by a CHL level player has ruined my desire to play LG anymore especially with tournaments like Caps Gaming going on. The big issue isn’t anything more than bad management and bad bidding

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    donnybrah