Media Has LGHL become Stale

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweetLou9208, Dec 18, 2019.

?

Has LGHL become stale?

1. Yes

68.6%
  2. No

31.4%
  1. TheGreech

TheGreech Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +736 / 15 / -15
    TLDR: 1- Reliable people are needed to run teams, but handicapping a team by giving shitty players zero-salary management positions is not the answer.

Long response:

Everyone who knows me knows that I really love LG. I go out of my way to promote it on social media and up until this past season I never imagined quitting. I especially loved the idea of being a nobody, and having to grind my way up the ranks from TC to NHLer. It truly had/has the potential to be as close to "real life" as possible.

That said, I'm with @donnybrah. It's impossible to justify playing in this league when the management situation is the way it is in the upper divisions. I HELPED manage one team once, and we won the Mem Cup. The reason why I helped from the bench was because it did not make fiscal sense to put a goalie in a zero-salary management slot. We knew before the season started that we would most likely win that cup because we are old farts and ran the team like we run our real-life jobs. The CHL is for beginners or people who aren’t good enough, and I knew that if we put the right guys together and treated it like "Moneyball" during bidding we would basically outthink most other owners all the way to the cup. Our plan worked.

Since then I’ve spent 6 seasons in the AHL. Been on some great teams and some brutal teams. I don’t mind losing or being on bad teams. But I do mind being on teams that have brutal players in zero-salary management positions… and I won’t put myself through it again. I cannot justify spending what little free time I have on a team that loses 9-0. It’s a vicious cycle to ride those games out because:

A – The team doesn’t do what it takes to stop the bleeding. If you are going to lose, there are SIMPLE ways to lose 4-0… not NINE to nothing.

B – My SA% is important to me. EVERY goal matters to me. Owners and GMs use stats to inform some of their bidding choices. I don’t mind having a shitty SA% because I shit the bed, or because my team tries hard but struggles. That’s real life. I DO mind when my team doesn’t give a fuck and lets the other team run up the score. I’m not doing that again. I’d rather find a dedicated group of guys and play ESHL, or Capsgaming, or even banana. There is no way in the universe I will ever (EVER!!) play on another team full of unqualified guys who don’t join the fucking party and communicate for example. This bullshit where a committed player like myself gets hung out to dry negates everything this league should be about. 3 breakaways a period? In the AHL?????????? That should happen on a last place CHL team, not ANY AHL team. Not putting myself through it again, I worked way to hard for this to be my fate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    greech11
  2. Too Much Twoco

Too Much Twoco Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Too Much Twoco#2520
    Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -17

To build off of this, experienced players can tell how a season is going to go as soon as they see who won their rights. It’s a testament to what I’ll call “the management skill gap”. And some players begin trying to ego their way out of that environment day 1. That is bad for that team and ruins the experience for people on that team. It also deters people from management cause they see the trainwreck it can be. I knew of 5 teams I wanted no part of before AHL bidding began last season and was dreading being on (though I don’t ego)

I’ll sound like a broken record but adjusting the way we determine managers should be a top priority as it doesn’t actually impact other site functions (like a 2 line NHL would for example). That alone will help towards making experience better for people. It will reduce amount of blowouts. As others said, there will always be losing teams but you can’t have what MIN and CHI had this year. There’s no reason for that at the highest level or really even AHL

• Winner Winner x 5
    No Streaming Account
  3. TPForMyBungCole

TPForMyBungCole Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 12 / -15
    I just want club practice mode back

• Like Like x 4
    No Streaming Account
  4. Tom 0

Tom 0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,104 / 13 / -34
    a lot of people have touched on this but the moral of the story is that we have such large gaps between management teams, talent wise.

lots of good/great players don't want to manage because it's a nightmare most times dealing with players/schedules/BOGs/other owners.

if we wanted to provide incentives like free LG plat, free buy ins to ESHL events or something worth it for mangers to WANT to manage. Otherwise it's much easier for great players to just team up or simply not play at all.

I would simply not allow the season to start until we have adequate management in place. if that means a 1 week/2 week delay, someone will step up, so that we don't have another S34 Minnesota.

Or you could have a promotion/relegation system in place where the top 3 AHL teams management MUST come up to the NHL as management (if there are vacancies) if they wish to play again the following season.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +831 / 54 / -127
    or @I Nylander l can just keep winning AHL cups

seriously tho a couple of good ideas here

No Streaming Account
  6. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    Management incentives have been preached for seasons, and the league has never done anything to make management more enticing. (Aside from the Caruch's and Schlemko's of the LG World paying their management partners lmao). Tris loses nothing by giving managers free plat or free ESHL buy-ins.

As for management relegation. I'm not set on that. Sometimes good managers have a shitty season and shouldn't be relegated because of it, and a decent amount of the time the top AHL managers either don't want to deal with the NHL ego's or likely wouldn't be successful in the NHL despite AHL success. Might lose more managers here who won't be happy with being promoted/relegated.

bossy_22_
  7. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    I do think that there needs to be more pressure on successful AHL managers to make the jump, plenty of them have had success in recent years and if we want to take steps to making everything a bit more competitive I think not letting people opt into the AHL is a good place to start. Relegations based on failure though, I think that has to carry some variability and understanding.

Regarding the two line vs three line argument, I don't think two lines solves as much as people think it is. Smaller rosters mean each player is worth more, which simply furthers the gaps between the really skilled managers and the guys who aren't on ESHL Semi Finalists. Guys who currently right now don't want to play on bad teams, I don't think all of them are gonna be like yeah it's fine that we're 6-20 because we're decent guys just losing to better teams. Those issues are only going to get magnified if people are playing 4/5 games a week (not to mention the issues you start running into when the guy getting 4 games is salty because he thinks he should get 5).

Going to two lines obviously raises the bar competitively, I think it makes the regular season better and the playoffs worse. Having to field 3 lines I believe gives you different avenues to build your team, you can try to spread it out and have 3 second lines or you can load yourself up with one really good line and two competent ones. Two 1A lines and a suicide 3rd, you guys get the point.

LGHL has gotten stale because of the game we're playing, not the league format. If the game didn't carry such frustration and bullshit, people would be more willing to invest their time not just as managers but as teammates instead of just jumping ship to a team that's already good. ESHL was created as a best on best format, I believe the site should look to expand on that rather than tinker with the LGHL at this time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. HowToFIFA8

HowToFIFA8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    zee0886#0
    Ratings:
    +438 / 160 / -143
    Lots of people crying about NHL managers here. Newsflash: Those managers bid on you for a reason, they want you on their team. Take some fucking pride in that and play for them to the best of your ability and shut your mouth. I'd rather play for a dead last team with the opportunity to play every week for players who want me in the organization than not play at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. APX x 93

APX x 93 APX x 93

Discord:
    APX x 93#6626
    Ratings:
    +615 / 65 / -102
    Game sucks 69

apxx93
  10. Skuttlebut

Skuttlebut Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chrisc4120#0
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -1
    Exactly this! I've seen a lot of good managers give up after having a series of toxic players abuse them.

• Like Like x 1
    theskuttlebut
  11. XxSgtSketchiexX

XxSgtSketchiexX Lady Bing Trophy Husband

Discord:
    XxSgtSketchiexX#8895
    Ratings:
    +208 / 23 / -14
    I've seen alot posted about alot of things. In my short experiance in the nhl, the biggest problem was the trade request.. we need to limit that, maybe go so far as limiting trades, I feel like maybe managers would be more opt to bid better if trading was minimized. I was on chicago amd Minnesota at one point or an other of the season and 8/17 guys were basically yelling at the owner to trade them to a playoff team. That's utter bullshit. Not every player gets to be traded to a playoff team. Maybe limiting trades would be a way to change that.

On an other topic. Limiting the nhl lines from 3 to 2 helps the nhl become better skill gap, and there wont be alot of blow outs, that's true. But that means 100 players move down to the ahl, and 100 ahl players move to the chl, means 100 players move from chl amd get added to the already 200 tc players. That just dosent work for the lower leagues. Youd then almost have to start a idk college level? To get some of those 300 tc players to stay active and compete for something...

All in all what need to happen, is people need to stop egoing, stop getting upset when they dont get on the team they want, play their hardest and actually compete through the entire season. Just tells how worthless some people are.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. Trae x8

Trae x8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trae#0
    Ratings:
    +469 / 37 / -87
    Bring back 2k nhl games

13. Tastypeanut 5

Tastypeanut 5 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 11 / -28
    1) I think no free contract for owners could be a positive change. I think a lot of what would be good managers may be deterred from managing or struggle to find other good mgmt partners because they aren't worth a free contract.

2) I also think the 2 line system would be really exciting to implement. It would boot a lot of players down to a lower-tier = more competition, more drive to get back up.

3) You gotta shorten the duration of the season...both in weeks and # of games (by this I mean if you shorten weeks, don't just add 5 more games to each week..less weeks with 9 games still) I think shortening by 2-3 weeks would be awesome. Alot of potentially good mgmt feel like it's a chore/job partly because the season is do damn long. I did read someone else say, which I strongly agree with, some people just get sick of each other after 9 weeks + playoffs. Please...please shorten the seasons.

I think any changes should try to be implemented sooner rather than later though. LG is really getting stale.
    I also did not read the comments besides mcdonalds so if I missed any points already made refuting the above ideas then sorry

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. Kiroxy4320

Kiroxy4320 Warning Group

Discord:
    Kiroxy#8894
    Ratings:
    +863 / 38 / -28
    Bumping this due to the 16 team shortage in the NHL. Would not be an issue if my management idea was put in place.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Kiroxy
  15. ScheckDiesel

ScheckDiesel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 11 / -8
    I think alot of problems are solved if NHL follows Fortnite, COD, and MLB The Show and develop cross-play. Doubles management and player pool and suddenly LG has to create a full ECHL to make sure we have enough teams for players to play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 325 / -613
    While this could be a good idea, how do you expect EA to have the capacity to code a cross-platform game like NHL when they can't even fix what seems like simple mistakes?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  17. ScheckDiesel

ScheckDiesel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 11 / -8
    Oh I know, wishful thinking. Or they just do it the EA way and push it through and its glitched as hell.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. DEC3PTIVE 1

DEC3PTIVE 1 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    DEC3PTIVE 1#7676
    Ratings:
    +240 / 19 / -23
    i like the shorter seasons idea. Maybe 4 seasons/game, but only a 5-6 week regular season and time it so christmas holidays occur during one of the offseasons.

Also think like the idea of all management being assigned to their best suited league by bogs.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. Disensitized

Disensitized Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Disensitized#9782
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Shorter seasons would make enduring the long season of dealing with a non-contender more bearable and would create less season bans.

A standard owner application should apply for all leagues and let the BOGS decide which application is best suited for the appropriate league.

A two line NHL league would be beneficial so teams will stop creating a suicide line against first lines in order to remain competitive. The domino effect would take place and make the AHL more competitive and so on.

Half of the NHL has no owners. That is a huge problem and evidence the league has gone stale. Change is needed to correct this. Is there league going to listen to the community?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Disensitized
  20. SouPerSaiyan

SouPerSaiyan Well-Known Member

Discord:
    soupersaiyan#0
    Ratings:
    +560 / 35 / -60
    LG has been stale because growth has been stale...

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account