Should Shoutbox/Discord/Forums messages be Ban eligible?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by SweetLou9208, Feb 22, 2020.

?

Should words, texts or voice messages violating the COC, be League Ban eligible

1. Yes

18.9%
  2. No

47.4%
  3. Depends on the situation (which means its to the BOG discretion)

39.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nyquist x 12

Nyquist x 12 Cadillac Eldo

Discord:
    nyquistx12#0
    Ratings:
    +154 / 35 / -32
    This is the dumbest argument I've ever read.

No Streaming Account
  2. Drewl24l

Drewl24l Best Known Member

Discord:
    full_melt707#9603
    Ratings:
    +630 / 72 / -81
    We’re you bubble wrap when you wrote this @Lazy Pedestrian

melt707
  3. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    Did you bump your head before you wrote this?

• Informative Informative x 1
    LazyPedestrian
  4. Drewl24l

Discord:
    full_melt707#9603
    Ratings:
    +630 / 72 / -81
    @WartorianT was definitely wearing a bubble wrap suit when he decided to rate all the sensible posts in this thread dumb. I can tell you that much

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    melt707
  5. Drewl24l

Discord:
    full_melt707#9603
    Ratings:
    +630 / 72 / -81
    Fuck apparently... that’s some poor English

melt707
  6. Bentbd2pointoh

Bentbd2pointoh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 2 / -7
    I hate language police bs and what anime dude is doing keeps swinging from sensible to outright hypocritical language policing bs.

If the league wants sponsors it needs to drastically up its media presentation game. It's done a fantastic job setting up almost everything but that. Words are not stopping the sponsorships here so that's not an excuse to follow people to discords in order to ban them.

That said,

That language IS shitty.

In the shoutbox and in threads it's very smart to have a zero tolerance policy on even using racial slurs, suicide remarks, etc. regardless of how sponsor heavy this site is or isn't.

Now if we give everyone free reign off site we all know a bunch of clowns will eventually do some absolutely idiotic shit like hurl derogatory comments at a girl, gay person or poc as an insult bc it's 'edgy' and they know there won't be a consequence. There's absolutely no benefit to tolerating that so I get the league wanting to eliminate targeted harassment.

As far as just dropping edgy humor or a word? It should be up to owners to mute guys in their own discords UNLESS it's clearly targeted harassment. Don't like people making edgy jokes and using offensive language in discord? Don't go to the discord.

Getting attacked and having guys spam you with threats, insults, etc? No one should have to put up with that crap. That kind of shit should be a ban.

I've been lucky maybe but I've never seen anyone get attacked for being gay, black, etc in any of my LG related stuff

No Streaming Account
  7. Serpe x 13

Serpe x 13 Washed Up Center

Ratings:
    +1,290 / 165 / -333
    lou u know that snitches get stiches and ur asking for ew

Serpe_x_13x
  8. Zphilly12

Zphilly12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -2
    You can really tell which guys were raised by their moms by reading some of these replies.

No Streaming Account
  9. Bentbd2pointoh

Bentbd2pointoh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 2 / -7
    I never understood why my mom always referenced "John Cletta" before hitting me with a slipper

No Streaming Account
  10. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169

I don't know who the fuck you think you are, but you are not hockey's greatest weeb.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Primetimme1
  11. Wingnutdrw53

Wingnutdrw53 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Wingnutdrw53#1228
    Ratings:
    +269 / 27 / -182
    Anything outside of league should not be monitored. There’s way too many impersonators out there that can make whatever tag they want and disguise themselves as a different person. Dangerous game

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. DShakki

DShakki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 72 / -110
    What's up?

Woytkiw8
  13. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169
    HEY BUD

Primetimme1
  14. newzealandtroak

newzealandtroak Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +380 / 16 / -34
    Since I'm about to get banned... I'm gonna say no. Thanks

No Streaming Account
  15. Balake96-

Balake96- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    balake96#0
    Ratings:
    +253 / 15 / -72
    LMAOOOOOOOO

• Like Like x 1
    balake96
  16. DShakki

DShakki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 72 / -110
    LBG my favourite yt'r, even his sponsored videos are hilarious

Woytkiw8
  17. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    I've always felt this was a very easy situation to address. The Code of Conduct does make it clear on what should and shouldn't be said.

In the beginning, things were extremely lax, but as time progressed and the community got larger things got worse as well. The relaxed approach stops being affective when the league staff started to deal more conduct issues than another issued related to the league itself. Where do we draw the line?

We also have to look at "why do people play LG", or "what purpose does this site play in your life?" We have a lot of members of this community who use this website as an escape from some real-life issues. A lot of people who player here because of the competitive nature. A lot of people who enjoy the community environment we have to offer. So do we really need next level toxic comments constantly bringing down the site? It is truly amazing the number of people in this community who do not use the website to avoid those that level of drama.

Being a part of the GC program for EA has afforded me the opportunity to network with some people from EA who handle legal issues or even the social media aspects of EA. EA's legal team requires the employees who handle the social media side of things to report ANY issues where a player makes a statement of self-harm. So every comment on twitter for an example where a player says "OMG this game makes me wanna kill myself", or "OMG FUCK THIS GAME KILL ME" stuff like that is automatically reported by EA to remove any legal liability from their company so if in a situation whereby a player of that nature does harm themself, they won't be painted with the "you knew about it and did nothing" brush.

The world is changing so much, and gone are the days of "It's the internet, get over it" excuse. There are a handful of cases in Canada whereby students were cyberbullied online then killed themselves, and the people who bullied them were held accountable. There have been cases where a relationship entered, the boyfriend has shared private pictures of his ex-girlfriend online, which lead to her suicide. He was held accountable.

Now let's look at the Madden live event and how tragic all of that ended. We had some of the world's best competitors end up being killed on live stream over some trash talk during then competition. Obviously that is an extreme case and that event shocked the gaming world, but to think it won't happen again, or there aren't people in our community who have potential mental health issues in regards to depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, anger issues, etc I personally believe would be an incredibly ignorant stance for the league and site to have.

The policy in place right now is broad and it needs to address minor issues such as harassment in the CB from comments that are deemed personal attacks, all the way to more serious issues like threats or sexual harassment. The policy has also adapted over the years to be used less of a tool to gain a competitive advantage to more of a tool used to address real issues. That is why we introduced some stipulations that if a player is being threatened, that is the player who needs to file the complaint.

I respect this community has built some personal relationships among users here therefore some "chirping" that is witnessed could be friendly and joking in nature. I do have some personal relationships here with some users who I have fun with as well. The bottom line is the line is drawn in the sand already on what is not deemed okay. That line has been drawn to protect Tris, who is the sole owner of this website and would assume all of the legal liability if something ever did occur. I think we all can be thankful for what LG has added to our life. The majority of us here are die-hard NHL fans and without this website would likely not be into the game anymore for the lack of features the game has had for a few years that appeal to a competitive community of our nature. We need to respect that enough to not cause any issues that would lead to Tris shutting this down one day because it is simply not worth the headaches anymore. LG isn't a moneymaker. It isn't paying his bills or my bills. This site sustains itself with the ad revenue it makes and it allows Tris and I to enjoy having a hobby of this nature.

If we branch out and look at games and sites, others are following suit as well. A team was completely eliminated from the Cap's Gaming event for racial slurs or racist skater names. Zero tolerance. Twitch bans players all the time for threats and other conduct related issued.

When the dust settles, why should LG tolerate things of that nature? Why should we EVER accept the excuse "it's the internet" How can I allow a player to use an excuse that "I was joking" as a reasonable explanation or excuse for a conduct issue? That would simply be everyone's excuse, and no one would ever be accountable for their actions.

I like to live in a world where I am the same guy on and off the internet. I'd never send something here, that I wouldn't say to your face. The real world has a ton of personal accountability built into which is why a lot of what said on here is shock worthy because we all know keyboard heros who'd never dare cross those lines face to face. To me, it cannot and will not every be okay to simply say "it is the internet"

I've read some of the comments above where people have said, "just turn off your screen", or "close the page" etc. But the bottom line is once a comment is said, and the read by the other party, the effect has been had. None of us know what one another is going through. None of us have the right to judge or criticize the mental strength each other have. What may not bother you, might bother someone terribly. That is just the world we live in now. In my professional life I've seen the effects of mental illness, I've seen people on their worse days. Even here on LG in the ten years of being in this community, I've personally talked to people on the phone or via text who were struggling at that moment. It isn't an issue I take lightly.

Years ago we lost one of our own to his mental health issues. He was an incredibly funny guy and great to our community. He ended up in a legal situation that he felt was unfair and the walls came in on him. One night at 2 AM he jumped into the chatbox, told everyone that was online he "loved them" and then he was gone. His sister reached out to Tris and I over the next few days seeing as he was missing for a while. We were able to give her some information about when he was last online, and what IP location he was logged onto. He was found a few days later. That is an experience I'd like to never have again. And it is a reminder to me every time I look at some stupid chatbox comments, or I issue a guy a mute, I always say to myself "why?" Why was that even necessary to say? Everyone gets mad, everyone hates losing, but at the end of the day, stay within the boundaries of the rules.

I've enjoyed this open discussion media posts to see other's opinions and I've enjoyed the chance to give the community my perspective as well. Not everyone is going to always agree and be happy but at the end of the day I have to do what I believe is best for the continued growth of this league and this policy I believe does just that.

• Winner Winner x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  18. Wingnutdrw53

Wingnutdrw53 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Wingnutdrw53#1228
    Ratings:
    +269 / 27 / -182
    upload_2020-3-8_20-33-48.gif

No Streaming Account
  19. Dradavich

Dradavich The guy who got Truc Banned

Discord:
    Dradavich#1971
    Ratings:
    +1,866 / 134 / -406
    C'mon dude you can't blame trash talk for the madden shooting, dude was clearly fucked in the head it shows from the his parents divorce records that he refused a psychiatric exam and never got help for whatever mental illness he had, With that being said you mention how Twitch has a zero policy & LG should have one too, but guess what dude the top people are leaving Twitch for sites like Mixer because they are tired of being over policed and getting ban for stupid shit. You wanna be the number 1 hub for competitive NHL gaming, You wanna a league built for the players? Start acting like it.

I get you got a brand to protect, You want to expand into esports with 6 v 6 being on same stage as competitive online vs, And I understand that of course you have police the language on your site you can't have some idiot saying racist stuff and causing an unnecessary controversy which will negatively affect the league BUT at the same time you have to ask yourself "I am going to far?" and for many players the answer is quite clearly Yes.

And for what happened to that dude, That was completely out of your hands nothing you could have done could have helped him or saved him, It's tragic and sad to hear but you can't blame trash talk for that, You can't blame anything it was outta your control, I've been through dark times before really dark times, times when i didn't wanna get up, times when i thought to myself about how it will all end. And lemme tell you the notion that a "rude comment" or a "nice comment" will change you or push you over the edge is completely absurd that it can only be found in fiction.

Lg is not a psychiatrist, it's a online competitive esports league, You cannot appease everybody you will not appease everybody but think about what you want for the league itself, Do you want the players to be in constant "fear" of being banned because they said something that few people find offensive, Do you want to appease a crowd of people who don't even play competitive hockey even if it means sacrificing your own player base, Do you wanna become like Games Done Quick and push away some of most brightest and unique personalities from the community? Because if you over-police that's exactly what's gonna happen. Truly think about it because it's something that is very important to this leagues health.

• Like Like x 1
    Dradavich
  20. FAYTAL FLOW

FAYTAL FLOW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 22 / -62
    It's sad that this will probably be ignored lol. Good points though. It's like saying you ban people off facebook for being controversial. EVERY community has toxicity.

No Streaming Account