Con's Crease -- MidWeek Update -- Goalie Things

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL PSN)' started by MDConMan, Jun 8, 2020.

1. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    I've always meant to do a writeup on everything wrong with playing user goalie that EA has continued to ignore for the past 10+ years... and I still might. But this is a pretty good chunk of it summed up in this clip alone (and pretty accurately summarizes how my season is starting so far :poop:)

14 seconds left. Up 3-2 against the defending Stanley Cup winners. I've saved 17/19 up to this point (and don't get me started on the second goal either...). Akon wins it back to Julian who rips a shot that is immediately blocked by Rocky. But Rocky can't pick up the puck.. for whatever EA reason... instead it's smacked loose to the right side of the ice where Williams picks it up and tries to cut baseline. Smacked by Bidas, puck comes loose, picked up by Akon who throws it on net and the puck somehow gets flung straight up into the air. Quick scrum, puck flies out to the right corner again, picked up by Williams, thrown up to the high slot where Patty's waiting and one times it towards the net. Puck gets blocked, drops back to the right where Akon's crashing. He LITERALLY skates into me, picks up the puck, continues to crash into me, Williams crashes into the both of us, and Akon throws the puck into the net.

Goal.

1.4 seconds left.

Announcers and crowd go wild. "THEY TIE IT UP! THEY TIE IT UP!"

No hesitation from the refs. No review. They literally had TWO FORWARDS standing ON ME and there was not even a thought of goaltender interference by the game...

Arizona moves on to win it later in OT in a period that never should have happened.

This is why goalies constantly sign up out of position. This is why 9 times out of 10, you're waiting on finding a user goalie that's worth a damn when you gather for 6's. Because EA continues to fix NOTHING about playing goalie. No meaningful animations. No officiating. No skating. No puck handling. Nothing. For 10 years.

They "motion capture" real NHL goalies... warming up? Stretching? Doing canned drills? Who knows. But not playing goalie... not the thing that would actually improve the game. There's no blending of animations into a fluid experience. You can't skate. You can't handle the puck. You can't get on and off your posts without a 3 foot radius to rubberband and fling yourself all over the ice. It takes 5 full minutes to get behind your net or to the bench while you watch your goalie take 8 strides just to get to the top of the crease or stuck on the post. God forbid you touch the puck, you turn into a 2D cardboard cutout of a character model and behave like a freaking piece from a bubble hockey table.

But this is what playing goalie is. Year in and year out. Since at least NHL09 (when I started playing user goalie at least). And every years it's the same problems. Hell, I'm pretty sure most goalies would even just settle for better gear customization at this point and an easier time actually unlocking different (matching) pad sets instead of all these 1's/drop-in shirts that no one is ever going to use because you can't play user goalie in 1's and Drop-In's are completely unplayable at this point.

Honestly, I just wish someone from EA would actually talk to a user goalie with half a brain... maybe get someone involved in actual testing/development. But at least LOOK at the game that they're putting out and see how horrendous the lack of attention to user goalies is...

Anyway, if you've actually read all of this:

Thank you.

Maybe now some part of me can get this off my mind and go back to blindly torturing myself by continuing to play this position in this game for some deep-seeded masochistic reason.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulCovertFlamingoRickroll

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    MDConMan
  2. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    You can tell this was a spur of the moment "i can't take this anymore" because I didn't format it with different font sizes and paragraphs and colors and bold/italic text... ;)

MDConMan
  3. Foxnetsov

Foxnetsov Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Foxnetsov#6802
    Ratings:
    +247 / 19 / -45
    i mean.. you overplayed the 1 timer and were never gonna get back over in time to save it anyways tbh. + goalies get a lot of goalie interference calls to go in their favour when it shouldnt

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    Tendy_x
  4. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    1. No I didn’t.
    2. All I needed to do was kick my leg out, which I could’ve done, if there weren’t TWO DUDES STANDING ON ME.
    3. How does that change the fact they need to get this call right? Idk if you’ve heard this one before, but 2 wrongs don’t make a right.
    4. How has anything you said here contributed anything to the larger topic of “user goalies are a neglected portion of the community and are continuously plagued by and large by the same exact problems for 10 years.”

• Winner Winner x 1
    MDConMan
  5. headhunter9872

headhunter9872 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +143 / 29 / -40
    It doesn't look like he overplayed the 1 timer. I think the second little slide he did after the shot put him marginally out of position but still should have been able to get the leg out and make the save. Looks pretty clear that he was unable to do that because of the 2 guys standing in the crease.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. Cokenetsxv

Cokenetsxv Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Cokenetsxv#0092
    Ratings:
    +296 / 15 / -38
    To be fair, while user goalie as you mentioned do need a lot of work, he isn't wrong about a lot of goaltender interference calls going in favor of the goalie when they clearly shouldn't. I'm with you on the other stuff though.

TheAlliane96
  7. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    I never said he was wrong. But 2 wrong’s don’t make a right. It’s literally a moot point.

Let’s say we all sat down to dinner. Everyone else was given a plate of food and starts eatting except you. You say “hey guys, I’d like some food, too. I should have food.” And Steve, next to you, says “there are kids starving in Africa that would like food, too. They should have food.” You’re not wrong. It’s a part of the same larger issue. But it’s completely irrelevant to the fact that you still don’t have food right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    MDConMan