* New * Season 37 [XBOX] - Season 15 [PSN] - Signups Open!

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by LG McDonald, Aug 24, 2020.

1. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    I agree but this is the hand we have been dealt

Understandable. I've been asking for a true central server for awhile.

For now, the hope is the central server will help us. The beta will be a good time to try it all.

See I don't know how that is even possible. Geographically the central is closer.

This doesn't kill west players. This kills games where a ping differential of 70-80 swing in either direction. This is no different than it was in VHL when we used lobbies and didn't allow the "red" bar guy host a game.

You are comparing apples and oranges looking at this change being the same as a 1st line vs a 3rd line.

Why not play your west lines players against other west lines? As you said earlier today in our talk, you have a bias because you built west lines.

What is being lost here in translation is the fact that in a game where 6 east players match up against 6 west players, EA wants that game to go central EVERY SINGLE TIME. And the fact that it doesn't, allowing one side to have ten times the ping as their opponent is a major issue.

LeagueGamingOfficial
  2. bonwl

bonwl Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bonwl#9306
    Ratings:
    +956 / 37 / -74
    Everything you said here is accurate. I won't dispute that. I also do think west lines are unfair, and we should look into trying to fix them. But I don't think the solution is to simply force every west player to play on 100 ping and essentially banish them from the league. A lot of the guys who would make the NHL on equal ping, now have absolutely no shot of making the NHL and will probably go struggle in the AHL... Because LG created this new rule that absolutely screws over relatively large amount of the player base. It's not fair IMO and we need to find another solution.

While having a west line the last 2 seasons I have become friends with a lot of west coast players. Off the top of my head, at least 80%+ of these west coast players are going to retire because of this new rule change. It completely ruined their experience and now they have absolutely no 6s leagues to play in and will have to resort to HUT or Versus.

• Like Like x 1
    Bonwl15
  3. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    We are aware of the five servers, Tris just wants the three for now to help build the basis of the script

LeagueGamingOfficial
  4. FrenchMoron

FrenchMoron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,056 / 70 / -198
    I identify as a woman, born a man but want to play in thr WNBA. Was always my dream. I am built like Lebron James, but obviously don't have the skills.

The WNBA refused to let me in, because it wouldn't be fair.

Most would say it makes sense.

West people would say it doesn't.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    No Streaming Account
  5. bonwl

bonwl Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bonwl#9306
    Ratings:
    +956 / 37 / -74
    So your solution to avoid 3% of LG games having 1 side with a 10x ping advantage is to put every single west player, and the majority of central Canadians, on 10x the ping as their opponent in 100% of their games? It just doesn't add up. I am very good at putting my biases aside but this genuinely does not make sense to me.

The argument of all these 3rd line NHLers saying "West guys only make the NHL because they are west, they would be in the CHL if not" doesn't make sense. If these are CHL players it wouldn't be hard to beat them. A 3rd liner should beat a CHLer with a ping disadvantage more than a 3rd liner should beat a legitimate 1st line in the NHL on even ping. It isn't apples to oranges IMO.

Bonwl15
  6. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    How do you suggest we "fix them"

We either leave it as it, and let EA decide where the games goes which right now I believe isn't the same as 20 therefore landing more games to central. Or we implement our own system to ensure the best server is selected for the 12 players in the game.

It isn't LG's fault the central server isn't central.

This league has been 80% east for over a decade. The central server is a great idea, and it 10000% needs to be more central. That is where my focus will now lie with EA.

Like I said earlier too, I don't know how someone in Van pings 100 to the east when I ping 75 to the west?

I am about 3 hours from MTL, I ping 12 to the NA North Easter server. I ping 24 to the Easter Server, 35-45 to the central, and 75-85 to the west.

I don't think I've played on the Cali server before.

Once Friday rolls around and the beta is live we can get a better chance to test the system and see what pings everyone lands on each server

LeagueGamingOfficial
  7. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    Again I've played with guys from Calgary, Edmonton etc, they all ping find to the central server.

The other side of that is there is only 3% of games played there in your opinion, so a majority of the league likely have no issues with these changes

LeagueGamingOfficial
  8. bonwl

bonwl Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bonwl#9306
    Ratings:
    +956 / 37 / -74
    My suggestion is to leave it as is. West lines aren't a big issue. Like I said before, it's around 3% of games. I don't see why we have to harm around 20% of the LG player base (using your 80% east) just to banish west lines. It's not that big of a problem and this seems like a net loss on LG's side. I just don't understand it.

I also don't understand how that ping works, I agree it sounds wrong, but every west and central Canadian LGer I've talked to says the same thing, I have a hard time believing they are lying.

Bonwl15
  9. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    20% that are west. Outta that 20% I'd imagine 90% of them would take a game on the central server over the QC server any day of the week

Again I think there is an issue in 20 with the pung to central

LeagueGamingOfficial
  10. Watrbouy

Watrbouy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    whats the definition of "fine"though? 60? im almost as west as you can be, and i assume i get 70-80 on east servers even if its fine by some persons standards its still way worse off than someone back east. its not a matter of being able to compete against east players, most west players can and have done it because we've been forced to do it. even if im playing on a west server the best ive seen is 20ms, when i hear people in NY playing on under 10 its unbelievable thats even a possibility, especially if since they are on 5, im probably on 70-80

No Streaming Account
  11. Khettrik

Khettrik And Thats the bottom line, Because I said so

Discord:
    khettrik#0
    Ratings:
    +47 / 52 / -33
    Where is the popcorn

No Streaming Account
  12. bonwl

bonwl Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bonwl#9306
    Ratings:
    +956 / 37 / -74
    @oxprahs @TrippyNav @eastons- @P t P 10 @Gamingfreak911 can you guys chime in on the ping you get to east vs central? I believe you're all from Alberta.

Obviously I don't know because I'm in Ottawa with you McDonald but from everything I've heard, central server is worse for these "central" located players.

• Like Like x 1
    Bonwl15
  13. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    depends on several factors.

I've got a monitor is that is 2ms and my internet is 1GB up, 1GB down.

12-35 ping feels the same. And I don't feel bad on 75-90

LeagueGamingOfficial
  14. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    a lot changes from game to game

That’s why I am curious to see what we can find in the beta

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  15. bonwl

bonwl Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bonwl#9306
    Ratings:
    +956 / 37 / -74
    Yeah that is true. The Beta will shed a lot of light on what will happen.

Anyways I know I'm arguing for nothing here because I have absolutely no say in the rule changes lmao, I'm just trying to stand up for what I believe in here. No hard feelings Brodie and obviously do what you have to do. I just feel bad for all the west friends I made the past 2 seasons that are going to retire.

Bonwl15
  16. Khettrik

Discord:
    khettrik#0
    Ratings:
    +47 / 52 / -33
    NHL 21 is not even out yet! They cant predict how the servers will be affected by the amounts of players! Implementating something that doesn't exist yet is kinda crazy. Ea servers crash everytime the first month of the release! And all focus will be for new gen so don't expect this to work at all.... Ea it's in the game

No Streaming Account
  17. CorrosiveJake

CorrosiveJake Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 2 / -0
    This is false 100% Most West guys would rather play on the QC/Canada east server. I would rather play QC than central

The Current Central Server is worse than the QC Server for most if not all west players. I don't understand why you wanna force west players on a worse server. I say let fate decide the ping and leave it the way it is.

CorrosiveJake_
  18. Khettrik

Discord:
    khettrik#0
    Ratings:
    +47 / 52 / -33
    And btw do you guys know that all servers point back to the main severs which is in Qc so whatever you thinking to do Qc will always have an advantage!

No Streaming Account
  19. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    I spent a lot of time talking with the EASHL producer about server selection over the years. I asked questions like "why does searching first matter". Why doesn't the game consider all 12 players in each game? etc

The intention of the system was to ALWAYS consider everyone in the game and avoid anyone playing on a high ping.

That's why in theory the games where we have east and west players should have always landed on the central.

There shouldn't be a situation where someone on the west coast ping better to the east than central. It just makes zero sense

LeagueGamingOfficial
  20. FrenchMoron

FrenchMoron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,056 / 70 / -198
    :popcorn: Difference is we have a 5 ping advantage IF we get QC servers. The NHL westies who found the 4/6 Cali West get a 80-90 ping advantage, EVERY game lol.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    No Streaming Account