Summer Season Fantasy Draft?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Gilbzey, Apr 29, 2021.

?

Do you want to see a summer season fantasy draft?

1. Yes

65.6%
  2. No

34.4%
  1. Giilbz

Giilbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,683 / 42 / -118
    LG is becoming stale, there is multiple ESHL events interfering with our timeline next season, and it’s the summer season. These would imply signups will be pretty low if we don’t have something new encouraging players to come back.

a few people have mentioned quite an interesting idea, and I wanted to see the communities take on it.

S39 summer season runs as a fantasy draft season (leading into a roster reset for s40)

Each team would get an owner and potentially a GM, the draft order could be randomized or ranked with the lower tier owners having a higher pick, and there would be no salaries + proper monitoring of trades to avoid any gifting.

Also, everybody would be in the first draft, anybody not selected would be able to take AHL management and then they would have their draft (there would be a break in between drafts for owners to find their ahl managers)

lmk your thoughts

• Like Like x 25
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. Twistafied

Twistafied #89

Discord:
    Twist#2803
    Ratings:
    +676 / 22 / -58
    Would be exciting, something new, and would get more top-end talent to play LG. Also sets us up perfectly for an NHL 22 roster reset. It's time to spice up this league. LG gets more and more stale as esports events continue to grow.

Great idea, but unfortunately I don't see the league agreeing to it.

• Like Like x 13
    Twistafied
  3. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    Would be sick, but I doubt the league goes for this since a shit ton would need to be figured out.

AHL management would need to be picked before the draft, as I doubt the league would have time for much of a break between drafts. It takes certain NHL managers a very long time to find AHL managers (sometimes not at all... Lou). Plus managing in the AHL is miserable, so losing a bunch of AHL managers to the NHL draft would make finding worthwhile management that much more difficult.

Also I assume the CHL would just stay as they are? They couldn't possibly do a draft with the amount of teams down there.

Kind of feel like if there are no salaries assigned to each round, it would make monitoring "fair trades" pretty hard since everyone would technically have the same value, but coming up with an amount for each round would also complicate things.

bossy_22_
  4. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,039 / 113 / -852
    Neat idea but I don't see how it would fit into our current ecosystem

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Get Good Get Good x 2
    • Old Old x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  5. ltzRayy TTV

ltzRayy TTV Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ltzrayy#0
    Ratings:
    +1,184 / 46 / -62
    I was studying in Manchester and my professor told me that I couldn’t use a pencil, I had to use a pen. I checked my bag, and all my pens were gone. after looking at the security footage, I saw that PRUNO PENADES had taken all my pens! I was furious. Shame on you Penades

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ltzRayy
  6. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202
    Elaboration please. Im curious why this idea wouldn’t work especially if it was exclusively nhl ahl, and chl was kept how it is. The only difference for chl being waived players from NHL, ahl, would need assigned salaries

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1
  7. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,039 / 113 / -852
    salary system?
    Contract system?
    Signup restrictions?
    Call up restrictions?
    Salary cap?
    Current contracts?
    Our draft system and current picks?
    How many days do you run it?
    how do you determine the draft order?
    Future assets? Current assets?

All of those things are factors to be determined and discussed.

How do we compensate the site traffic bidding creates?

How many current teams and owners have made moves preparing for this coming season? What does this new system do to that?

Everytime we discuss a reset or a wipe the majority vote it down based on the time and effort that went into last season leading up to this season.

• Like Like x 3
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  8. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202

salary system?

No salaries for nhl and ahl. Chl would have same bidding setup they always do.
    potential example for waived players:
    Players who get waived from nhl or ahl and pass through to chl, get a 5mil salary in the chl at skater and 2mil at goalie

Contract system?

No contracts. This is a summer season thing only.

Signup restrictions?

Same as the current procedure. All eligible players must pass through the “nhl draft” or take management beforehand

Call up restrictions?

Call ups from ahl to nhl will not have any salary. It has been proposed for many seasons that ahl players being called up to nhl should get their salary adjusted to 500k. With no salary, it creates most competitive balance by making sure the best players are playing in the nhl, and that salary isn’t a sole dictator in someone getting the call. To keep ahl teams from getting screwed you could implement a 3 player rule. Where you can’t call up more than 3 players from ahl to nhl, (not including nhl players who got a ban where a call up from the ahl is the only option to replace said players roster spot). Same rule of a maximum 3 player call up could be used for CHL players getting called up to AHL.

Salary cap?

No salaries means no salary cap aside from the CHL.

Current contracts?

All current contracts are wiped.

Our draft system and current picks?

Current draft picks would have their salaries wiped and be put in the fantasy draft. For the entry draft in s39 each NHL team would still have their picks and draft players for their teams. These players would be assigned salaries and contracts just like they would any other season, however in nhl and ahl, these salaries will hold no value towards a salary cap in s39. Their assigned contracts won’t hold any value besides term until s40, unless that player is playing in the CHL.

How many days do you run it?

3/3/3 format like it is currently. Possible adjusted times or days as determined by staff.

how do you determine the draft order?

Completely random draft lottery. Snake draft so no spot is necessarily an advantage. 1st pick won’t pick again until 65. Team with pick 32 will have 33 as well as an example.

Future assets? Current assets?

S39 of LG for the NHL and AHL is strictly a one season format. Owners are still given the opportunity to return for the following season where it would be a normal LG season that everyone is used to. They would also have nobody under contract for s40 with the exception of s39 draft picks.

How do we compensate the site traffic bidding creates?

The LGHL fantasy draft could be done over 3 days just like bidding. Could have rounds 1-5 6-11 and 12-16 over 3 days. A 1 minute timer on each pick will ensure each round is 32 minutes or less. As teams draft other teams will adjust their plans accordingly. Draft time example could be:

Night 1, rounds 1-5. 8:30-11

Night 2, rounds 6-11 8:30-11:30

Night 3. Rounds 12-16 8:30-11

11:30 is the latest time possible the draft would conclude as each team would have to use their full minute for it to run that late. in bidding you commit full days to bidding and often times have to make bids in the middle of the night. You have to pay attention to the bidding board for sometimes up to 72 hours. This draft system is consistent in its timing as well as practical, all while creating a strong 3 days of site traffic. the site traffic will be more condensed to the 3 hours near the draft, but in theory will generate more people to the site over those 3 days to watch the draft as it happens. Not to mention the media and draft recaps that would be made as content. Maybe even an official broadcast on twitch?

How many current teams and owners have made moves preparing for this coming season? What does this new system do to that?

Many. Unfortunately everyone would have their rosters wiped. NHL22 would see normal lg come back and teams could start planning for the future again. This system unfortunately takes out what managers have built in s38, yet that would happen anyways if a roster reset took place after s39.

Trades:

Earlier trade deadline to ensure less “gifting”. If season is 82 games could make the deadline after 27 games when every team is still in it. Could also have a committee that is voted into office by the managers in order to review and potentially hold a vote with managers to veto certain trades they find to be in bad faith. Same would go for ahl.

overall this idea does these things.

1. Resets rosters in preparation for NHL22 on new gen, while keeping draft picks as well as the main structure of the league in tact for seasons to come.

2. Prevents people from being blindsided by a roster reset after building their rosters and assigning multi-season contracts. With this method you know everyone is a one season player, but you still have a little bit of team building by having your entry draft players long term.

3. creates a new buzz for LGHL and gives players something new while keeping the competitiveness and parody that a typical LGHL season would provide.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1
  9. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202
    I also forgot to mention that because this would be a one season event, Having to make adjustments in scheduling or game structure etc because of potential esports conflicts, won’t come at such a cost. because of the fact this would be a one season long system.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1
  10. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,039 / 113 / -852
    But then you’re assuming everyone wants a reset... it’s not just the NHL here. The AHL and CHL have assets as well. You can’t really fantasy draft the NHL and leave the lower tiers the same. And I don’t really want to just dump three leagues because one wants it.

If there was 90%+ support across all three tiers it would be fine to do it.

@S4KIC

And no one has ever said that NHL 22 would start with a wipe. Keep in mind everytime we’ve voted a wipe it’s been not a popular decision

LeagueGamingOfficial
  11. Shlarchey

Shlarchey Well-Known Member

Discord:
    shlarchey#0
    Ratings:
    +535 / 116 / -193
    Have the vote than

ShlarcheyYT
  12. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202
    Nobody has said their would be a wipe but that seems to be the way to do it when switching over to a new gen. I’ll hold a vote in The ahl and nhl management and see if it gets close to 90% just to see. CHL shouldn’t be included in the draft though when it would be easier for staff, new management, and players down there to just keep it the same. There’s literally zero negatives in keeping the chl the same if there was to be a draft at NHL and ahl levels. They have way more teams, call ups and send downs, and new players coming in and out that would make the draft essentially pointless for parody outside of the first few rounds.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1
  13. l Bossy l x 22

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    Hard to see the AHL not being okay with this idea, so long as something is done to protect AHL teams from being pillaged by their NHL team if they draft poorly/have bans (everyone being the same contract value would give the NHL free reign to call-up whoever they want, whenever they feel like it, and the AHL would never agree to that). As long as something to protect them is implemented, I don't see many teams taking issue with their current assets being wiped. There's a lot of turnover in the AHL each season (quickly looking at it I believe only 1/3 of owners/GMs came back this season with the same team/assets from the first season on NHL21), and who knows how many would likely come back for Summer season.

• Like Like x 1
    bossy_22_
  14. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202
    Yes I 100% agree. It would have to be worked out but that’s why I was thinking that the nhl and ahl could come up with a rule where say for example the nhl could only call up 2 players with the only exception being guys who are called up to replace bans. Thanks for the comment

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1
  15. Shlarchey

Shlarchey Well-Known Member

Discord:
    shlarchey#0
    Ratings:
    +535 / 116 / -193
    I 100 percent think more of the eshl guys only would come out of retirement to play this event because there should be more talent on the roster. Would be a good way to get money from bans too from some people. Something different and not stale. Another possibility the contracts could even be put on hold so after the draft season you get the contract you originally had starting back up the following nhl 22 season.

ShlarcheyYT
  16. NINETY ElGHT

NINETY ElGHT Warning Group

Discord:
    Ninety Elght#9689
    Ratings:
    +827 / 29 / -86
    No Salary cap is the dumbest thing you could do. There would need to be NO Trades and NO waiver wire. We all know some managers are better than others at trading, then on top of that we have gifting season at the deadline. You would see rosters that would be 100m Rosters in a normal bidding.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    NINETYElght
  17. l Bossy l x 22

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    It would definitely be rough because people won't have any assets to trade for building for the next season. The ideas he mentioned regarding trades should help to avoid that though. Maybe even add a more specific criteria for trades, something like not being able to trade people drafted more than two rounds apart in the draft? Trades could still be really lopsided in this scenario, but at least teams couldn't trade a 15th round pick for a 1st round pick lol

bossy_22_
  18. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,039 / 113 / -852
    How do call ups from the CHL work?

It would HAVE to be IF you are not signed up BY the NHL deadline, you go to the TC

LeagueGamingOfficial
  19. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202
    Call ups from the chl to ahl would be the same as it’s always been just the only difference being a CHL players salary won’t matter when they get called up to ahl.

As to your 2nd question yes for sure if you’re not signed up at nhl deadline you’d have to be tc. I was referring to mid season call ups at the nhl and ahl level for those eligible players. Because in this hypothetical format their would be no salaries, so there would need to be a rule for NHL and ahl teams that limit the number of players they could call up from the lower leagues in order to prevent clubs from ruining their affiliates.
    That’s why bossy and I were saying a good rule could be something similar to only allowing NHL managers to make 2 ahl call ups during the season, with the only exception being if a call up is needed to replace a ban. Same could be done in the ahl to ensure chl managers aren’t constantly losing players to call ups because their salary wouldn’t count in the AHL

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1
  20. Nata1e

Nata1e I'm walking em

Discord:
    Natale#9564
    Ratings:
    +1,004 / 162 / -202

I think there’s a few things that can be done to counter those points. I think we overestimate how much salary really plays a part in determining trade value. Sure salary gives off a general sense of equal value if you’re trading 11 mil of players for 10 mil of players you could think the trade is relatively fair.

i argue though that these trades with no salary involved would be just as easy to tell which ones are “gifts” and which ones are legit trades. Salary is a general measuring stick in order to compare value..... granted there’s always going to be guys who are crazy underpaid and those crazy overpaid. I think with a draft you replace the money value with where a player is drafted. Sure, you’ll have guys who went 2nd round who should’ve been 4th round, and vise versa.

Draft or bidding there’s not a major difference there as price would just be switched with draft position. By no means is it perfect but neither is a players salary. I’d argue that draft position with no salary actually gives more teams greater flexibility with trades that’ll prevent trapes. Example. A guy like Bren who went for 10 mil. If Anaheim wanted to trade him they’d have to trape themselves talent wise because very few teams can afford that salary, or are willing to give up a player who is more “worth” that 10mil.

I think in a draft, a team like Anaheim in that instance would have an easier time finding a fair value trade, because salary cap wouldn’t prevent 27 of the other 31 teams from making an offer.

if you looked at the most recent “gifts” and trapes in LGHL, I think everyone who considers themselves knowledgeable of the league would tell you right away that those deals were trapes, regardless of looking at player salary. I think preventing trapes would be easier than you’d think in a draft system. Draft position would be your “salary” sort of speak, and you’d also just have general player knowledge. A bad owner trading for a guy they’ve never heard of who is really worth 4mil who is 8mil is no different than a bad owner trading for a guy who went 3rd round when in reality they should’ve gone round 5.

Asside from those points I also think having an earlier trade deadline would help. I think in LG after week 3 is when you kind of know the type of buildup of your team, and making this the trade deadline would also maybe limit some teams from selling off their roster so quickly.

The final thing I think that could be done is to have managers keep being vocal when they see a potential trape or trade in bad faith. bogs often have questionable knowledge when it comes to trades that are too lopsided and I think this is an easier fix than people would realize. Could have managers “report” a bad trade they see which already happens and in collaboration with bogs, come to a solution. This season there was a few trades reversed that clearly shouldn’t have been, and managers did a good job of vocalizing their concerns and coming together in order to help the league. Most of the times, trapes and gifts are pretty easy to see and managers are usually good about coming to a consensus about a trade being fair or not fair.

to take it a step further could also have a small trade committee that works with managers and bogs to ensure trades are in good faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    l_s4k_1