Tournament Brackets - What do u think???

Discussion in 'LG World Tour' started by Master G 2003, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Master G 2003

Master G 2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tournament Brackets

Are we going to create brakets once we get a handle on everyones rankings. Maybe have an A,B,C,D bracket system. We can still have open tourneys where we are all mixed up or maybe even some type of handicap system when lower brackets are competing against higher brackets.

Actually how are most real tennis leagues set up?

Just a thought, I like playing the top 20 - 50 but I dont think Im able to give them a very challanging game.

What do u think?????

EDIT: And possibly a secondary bracket for the people who took losses to play against eachother so we can still battle it out for position while the winners progress through there tourney.

No Streaming Account
  2. Master G 2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm no responses I guess it was a bad idea :oops: :( :oops:

No Streaming Account
  3. azdef01

azdef01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about this :
    If a loser's bracket is added to a tournament then I think the seedings should be based on what rank the players are on the Exhibition Scoreboard!

For example :
    Player 1 loses first round, so does Player 4.
    Player 1 is ranked 1003 while Player 4 is ranked 1002 (for THIS league's exhibition).
    Player 1 will be seeded #2 while Player 4 will be seeded #1 on the loser's bracket...

:) or :cry:

No Streaming Account
  4. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    maybe like a minor-league tour?

a minor tourney sprinkled in for players not ranked in the top 20 in our league?

these are good ideas...

kind of like XRI for tennis...

but i'd like to see it on just a once-in-awhile basis...

maybe some tournaments are "invitationals" - only inviting top 8 or 16 players

(kinda like the women's tournament going on right now in real life - top 8 players, round robin format)

then we could have the other, non-top-ranked players in a separate tourney...

No Streaming Account
  5. sportdan30

sportdan30 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While I think the initial poster for this topic makes some very good points, it seems that it might become rather confusing and disorganized if we try and create a "losers" brackets. Trust me, I fully expect to be a first and second round exit so your suggestion would have aided me.

However, I do think the only way us early exiters are going to improve is by playing the tough competition. While I enjoy playing others of my own skill level, I'm always looking to improve. How bout instead of a "losers" bracket per se, we can hook up and play some exhibition matches until the next tournament starts?

No Streaming Account
  6. sportdan30

sportdan30 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Goalie makes some interesting suggestions as well. Perhaps there should be some type of qualifying involved in some matches.

No Streaming Account
  7. Master G 2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Having a ladder system is all about playing people better than you, don't get me wrong I love the tourney setup, I was just thinking it would be really cool to have an ongoing ladder on the site (as well) where members can challenge other members to matches & the results are displayed & recdorded for us.

Basically,

1: young
    2: master g
    3: pappa haha

Have all of members we have listed. If I challange a player three spots up & beat him I go to his spot in the ladder rankings & he goes to mine or they go down a spot (Im not sure of the exact official format yet).

Ok here is an actual tennis ladder that Im talking about http://www.sportsladders.com/tennis/ the great thing is we can still have competitive ranked games (recorded & documented with stats) while waiting for the next tourney. Especially if you have been knocked out in the first round :cry:

No Streaming Account
  8. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Our exhibition scoreboard does that pretty well. Sure, someone can rack up a bunch of wins against noobs, so it's not really a ladder type of system, but all of your results will be recorded for all to see, so we can get an idea of who's really on top.

The team tennis format that we'll be starting in a few weeks will also showcase some of the better players, most likely always playing in the late Sunday game (worth the most points, 5) as those matches may help decide what team wins that week.

No Streaming Account
  9. Master G 2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks XboxJon,

I was just trying to come up with a format that would be onging & competitive for all members. Sorry if Im going on too much about this its just that I can see so much potential for this format for the EXB scorebard/possible ladder. Ill leave this as my last post on this subject (unless I get a response)

Here are a few different ways to set up the scoring & have the exhibition boards scored that way. I looked at the exb boards & it seems like the person with the most overall wins takes first regardless of who they play. I may be wrong about that. Imagine the ongoing competition that members could have in an ongoing ladder system. Every member (even the person in last place) would know exactly who to shoot for & have a close competitive match.

http://www.tennisengine.com/ranksys.htm - for ladder ranking systems

Im not suggesting that a ladder format take over the league format just enhance it.

The preferred method of real tennis clubs seems to be the quality system (below) but a pyramid system may be the easiest one to implement.

Again this site is absolutetly amazing I am only trying to contribute.

Thanks

3. Quality-based Ranking System
    The Tennis Engine computes player rankings based upon a proprietary algorithm that evaluates every match played for the life of the league or conference. The system is designed to rank each player based upon a combination of performance (derived from match results) and activity (how many matches played and against whom).

When a new match is entered, the Tennis Engine adjusts your ranking based on the following factors:

Current match win or loss
    Current match performance (% of games won)
    The strength of each of your past opponents
    Your overall match winning percentage
    Your overall game winning percentage
    Furthermore, the ranking of every player who has played you or your opponent will be affected by the outcome of your match.

Winning or losing a close match with a highly rated player could boost your ranking, whereas a close match with a lower rated player could reduce your ranking. Decisive wins over lower rated players could be less rewarding than close wins over higher rated players. Confused? Simply put... winning matters the most, but after that it's all about whom you play and how close you play them.

Strength Rating
    The rankings are based on each player's current Index value (i.e. the third ranked player has the third highest Index). Each player's Index is a combination of his Strength Rating and the number of wins. Each player's Strength Rating is viewable in his player profile.

Your Strength Rating (SR) is the measure of your ability to:

win matches against the field of participants
    win a high percentage of games in all matches
    perform well against higher rated players
    Your Strength Rating will improve with more matches won and a better percentage of games won. The strength (SR) of the opponents you play is also factored into the calculation (Each player's SR is located inside his profile along with other information).

Your SR will fluctuate as other participants compete. It might rise as players whom you have defeated accumulate wins over other players. Inversely, your SR might dip if players who have beaten you suffer losses.

The online league is updated every time a match is

No Streaming Account