Xbox Problems

Discussion in 'Xbox / Xbox 360 Lounge' started by SkaLicious, Nov 18, 2003.

1. SkaLicious

SkaLicious I Bleed Blue Blood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok people I've been having problems with my dvd-rom drive in my xbox. I called microsoft about getting it fixed and they told me that it'd cost me 150 bucks for them to repair it. I coulden't help but laugh at them. I mean COMMON! 150 buck!!?? Why woulden't I just buy a brand new one for an extra $50 then what it'd cost me to get my old one fixed. My question is, is it possible to just replace the dvd-rom drive with another one? I'm sure a couple of you guys have had the same problem, I'm wondering what you guys have done to fix the problem.

No Streaming Account
  2. SILENTSIM

SILENTSIM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could change the dvd drive, but you must be experienced and if u screw up, u wasted the WHOLE xbox, the whole new dvd drive, i recommend not doing it. Electronics Botique buys old xbox'es
    broken ones too
    do that
    then buy a new one.

No Streaming Account
  3. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah, SILENTSIM brings up good point. You could do it, just don't screw up! I would say just trade in your old one, although you do lose all your saved games.

No Streaming Account
  4. Derek92

Derek92 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought a new DVD Drive myself. I just got my dad to install it.

No Streaming Account
  5. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Call back a few times and see if you can't get an operator who says they will do it for free :)

Gajeske85
  6. WilloMan

WilloMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm having dirty disc errors finally with my xbox(i bought it Jan 10 - 22, 2001). It all started with my favorite game(NBA 2k4 which makes the experience so so). But i recently have ben trying to put some soundtracks in the dashboard and the xbox has problems reading some disc also this is also happening to some dvd's.

Hopefully i will be able to get this problem fixed if I buy(or borrow) the dvd cleaning kit along with the air cans that you use to clean motherboards and whatnot. If that doesnt fix it I will be buying a dvd rom drive that i know works from searching on xbox mod sites and fix it myself.

$150 is too much for me. Too bad Derek is in Canada and not in NYC. I would rather seek out his pop to replace my dvd rom and give him some money, then pay 150 just for a new dvd rom drive(which i could buy a dvd burner for that).

No Streaming Account
  7. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats what I did with my XBOX Controller what LatDogg said. I called for 3 days straight, 3 times a day about same problem, eventually got somebody who took my address and said they would send me a new controller for free ;-)

No Streaming Account
  8. SkaLicious

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and did you ever get it?

No Streaming Account
  9. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, I got it delivered to my door stop 2 days later by the Airmail Express guy in his greyish colored van.

No Streaming Account
  10. SkaLicious

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well I just got off the phone with them agian. 1st time I called tonight the guy wasen't gonna do anything to help me out. He just said it'd cost like $180 CDN to get it fixed and to cover shipping charges.

So I called a second time but I called to cancel my Live account and the lady was super nice and asked why I was canceling my account and I told her it's because my xbox wasen't working properly and how I call a few times and both people I talked to before both said I'd have to spend between $140-180, and how that was just to rich for my blood. So she talked to her supervisor to see what she could do because they didn't want to lose me as a Xbox Live customer.

Anyways it all boils down to me paying $75 to cover part of the repairs and they'd cover the rest of the cost for the repairs and they'd cover all the shipping charges. So once I send my xbox away she said I'd have it back in less then 2 weeks.

No Streaming Account
  11. SILENTSIM

SILENTSIM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats not that bad of a deal. When you wanna cancel somin of Ms's they'll give u a better deal!!

No Streaming Account
  12. SkaLicious

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya I'm happy with it. I wasen't expecting to get it fixed for free but I did expect them to at least meet me half way on it.

No Streaming Account
  13. AK420

AK420 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had the problem of my discs not playing anymore and all I had to do was open up my xBox and clean the lens inside the DVD drive. It's really not that hard to do.

I still don't understand why people are so scared to open their xBox's to fix something. I know it's a warranty issue but the xBox is basically a computer inside. If you've ever opened your computer to add a video card or to add a hard drive it's not much different than that. And swapping out the dvd drive is one of the more simple things to do to the xBox.

They put those warning stickers on the bottom to make people think they're gonna break something if they open it up.

No Streaming Account
  14. pop0331

pop0331 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ska, check out www.otomia.net

I had the same problem with mine. For $120 total, I got my xbox calibrated, chipped, and 2 backup games. Vice City & Return Of the King.

If you go that route, you can't play it online though. I bought myself a new xbox and use my old one only for games that don't feature online play.

Also, they can add a bigger HD to your Xbox although I don't know why anyone would do that.

They sell games for like $4.50 each also at www.otomiagames.com

No Streaming Account
  15. dr_jim88

dr_jim88 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there is a way to do it, albiet a little dishonest, the tactic of bait and switch could be applied here.

you could go to the store, buy a new xbox, put your broken xbox in the new box, return it saying that it wasnt working(the truth), keeping the new xbox which is now in place of your old broken xbox!

No Streaming Account
  16. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wouldnt that be stealing

No Streaming Account
  17. woobwoob

woobwoob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so Ska, any status update?

No Streaming Account
  18. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He's had his XBox back for a while now. I think he got it back Mon or Tue right?

No Streaming Account
  19. dr_jim88

dr_jim88 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they still have an XBOX, you still have an XBOX, they simply have the defective one that they sold to you instead of a working one that should have been sold to you

i did say it was dishonest, i never have tried it(my xbox works fine), i was just saying that that principle could be applied here

No Streaming Account
  20. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i see your point but it is wrong and besides his x-box is back now anyways

No Streaming Account