whats going on with the whole hdtv thing?

Discussion in 'Halo 5' started by vampireghost9, Nov 11, 2004.

1. vampireghost9

vampireghost9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whats going on with

can somebody tell me why there's no 480p support?

No Streaming Account
  2. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mostly misinformation I believe.

Halo 2 plays in full 16:9/480p on my DLP HD front projection system. Very very few Xbox games don't support 480p (ie. 480i only), I can count them on one hand.

No Streaming Account
  3. vampireghost9

vampireghost9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks

hey bud thanks for clearing that up for me.

No Streaming Account
  4. NEODARK

NEODARK Hakuna Matata

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol, not so...

http://bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=1044114 :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  5. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The question was "why there's no 480p support?". My answer is 100% correct. Halo 2 supports 480p and 16:9. Now, if someone's set is cropping off the HUD because they have 10% overscan, or don't have their format option selected properly on the TV, or have the dashboard setting screwed up, that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the game is still outputting a 480p/16:9 signal.

Yeah, I know of that thread, and others like it. As I said, mostly misinformation. It's not a bug, it's called overscan. There are so few projection TV's that are actually calibrated, it's not even funny. Plenty of other owners that have absolutely no clue how to set the thing up, and many of them that have no idea how to even plug it in.

Last night, my bro-in-law calls me from San Diego (24yr old, fairly tech. savvy). He's had a HDTV for over a year, rear projection DLP, I think it's a Sony. He's had a XBox for 2yrs, and never bothered to get the advanced A/V kit for it to enable 480p. He calls and asks me how to match up the green/yellow/blue cables to the yellow/red/white connection on his Input 1. :roll: :shock: :laugh: I finally got him squared away, plugging it into his high bandwidth component video input, but then he was completely lost on how to setup the dashboard.

No Streaming Account
  6. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW, on the HUD cropping issue. Most widescreen games on the XBox (generally the racing and FPS ones though) have HUD's that are left 4:3 and get stretched. While the game itself is true widescreen, often these programmers get lazy I guess and just make one HUD that's used @ 4:3 in either full frame or widescreen mode.

Another factor is that if a game isn't "flagged" as widescreen and you have a HDTV that does auto aspect ratio, it will not kick into widescreen mode and you'd have to use a format option to stretch out the image to it's true 16:9. IMO, this is the issue that the majority of these people are having the HUD cutoff. It's a problem with their HDTV and how it handles various signals, not the game itself. If your TV thinks that game's output is native 4:3 for some reason, and your only option is to stretch to get to the full 16:9, maybe the stretch (cinema, full, widescreen mode, etc) option on your HDTV incorporates too much overscan when filling the screen thereby cutting off some of the picture. Just a guess. Obviously some are having issues with it, but to call it a bug, I dunno. There are plenty of us with zero issues.

No Streaming Account
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I first got Moto GP 2 I quickly found out that my HDTV was clearly not calibrated very well as a good portion of the overhead map of the track was cut off the screen due to overscan. Once I figured out exactly what the problem was I did some calibrating and everything has been fine since then. Why some games do it and others don't I'm not really sure, but from my library of games alone I have encountered about a half dozen games that had the same issue and all of them were corrected by calibrating my TV.

No Streaming Account
  8. young

young Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where did you get that information?

i always thought this was the case. even the pictures of the players in espn 2k5 are a little stretched out in 16:9. i can only assume that they didn't bother to correct some things like the HUDs and pics for 16x9.

No Streaming Account
  9. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alot of the HD info that I gather is at avsforum.com (they have a Home Theater Gaming section to their forum). I've been posting and reading there on a daily basis since I got into HD over 4yrs ago.

I've read articles about why the HUD is stretched even though the textures are rendered in widescreen. I think it has to do with streamlining the programming so that one HUD is used for all resolutions and aspect ratios. I guess it's easier to do it that way.

No Streaming Account