Growing up what was your sports of choice?

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by Xeno72, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just curious what you guys played growing up and what level you achieved. I played competitive A hockey and quit at 19 to take up professional drinking. I also did Judo and quit after getting my green belt. I played soccer and basketball casually (but I should have pursued b-ball....I had a mean 3-pointer).

No Streaming Account
  2. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I played baseball all of my childhood. Age 4 to 16, also the same with Hockey. I still play baseball frequently.

No Streaming Account
  3. Jepockn

Jepockn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    soccer was all i played in my childhood until i was 10 then i took up football in the summer and hockey in the winter and then it was hockey all year round

No Streaming Account
  4. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Fiddy14#6440
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    played baseball from 4 years old until i was 20.. played 1st base on 2 state championship teams in 98 and 99.. good memories there!!

i had two options when i graduated HS.. i had a chance to walk on at a small d-1 school youngstown state and a d-2 school west liberty state.. i decided i didnt want to do niether.. with high scool and legion ball combined we played 110 games that summer in 99.. i was burnt out and had enough...

i then started playing summer ball and was gonna go to the d-2 school and play after a year off but during the summer i tore my acl and the cleats got hung up for good..

i also played basketball from 5th grade until i graduated.. mostly to just stay in shape for baseball..

my buddy Whitey0608 from here, we played in a roller hockey league for 3 years.. we had some pretty good times during that strecth..

No Streaming Account
  5. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    football from the time I was in elementary school clear through high school. Captained an intramural(sp?) flag football team in college. Played basketball in middle school, but I came from a football town, so that went out the window.

No Streaming Account
  6. edge997

edge997 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Baseball was my sport growing up. I Played competitively from T-ball through college.

No Streaming Account
  7. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Soccer, tennis, and swimming were my three sports. I was the starting goalie on the varsity soccer team (AA or AAA size High School in Michigan), and captain of both the tennis and swimming teams.

I went to the state-level finals for 200 Individual Medley in High School for swimming my senior year, the year I set a new pool/school record for that event. No clue if it still stands, it was my butterfly where I was strongest and usually made up the most ground.

I also went to the state-level finals all three years of High School for Tennis. (I moved to the US when I was 15 and a Sophomore in HS, so I only did 3 years of HS prior to University).

After High School I traded my passion for sports for all sorts of different hobbies, including video games and other mind/body-altering experiences. :mrgreen:

When I graduated High School I was 6' and weighed 170 lbs. When I graduated University I was 6'2" and weighed 240 lbs. I've since settled at about 210 lbs, though one of my goals for next year is to train for and compete in a local triathlon. :mrgreen:

8. PAPERNUT

PAPERNUT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you my long lost brotha or something? If I sent you a pic of me with glasses on you might think you are looking in the mirror, but what is really odd is I too did the weight thing as I was 170 soaking wet in HS and weighed 240 after my first semester in college. I now lift and play b-ball weekly to keep me around the 210-220 mark.

I played any in-season sport during my years and even got to play 2 years of football with Thomas Jones of the Jets. I excelled in Tennis though and got a scholarship to play, but chose to go to East Tennesse State for better opps. I had a chance to play there and even got a look from the b-ball team, but I chose to get married instead and life began.

No Streaming Account
  9. BLaz

BLaz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hockey and tennis for me. I would play baseball for fun, but I was a competitor when it came to hockey and tennis.

Not to brag, but I was a damn nifty goalie.

No Streaming Account
  10. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hockey off and on since age 5 ( 29 years ) played a few seasons of structured league play and played competitive in High School grades 9-13. Position - Defence

Soccer , age 5 to present ( 29 years and counting ) Position - Fullback / Midfielder

Cross country skiing since 7 years old , then Biathlon from age 13 - 24 , the year round training was good for other sports!

Downhill Skiing since 12.

Snowboarding ages 14 - 19

Rugby from age 13 - 24 , highlight was travelling to Wales to get crushed! Position - Prop Forward

Football - Grade 9 - 13 , I was scouted by Queens and Western Universities but didn't have the grades to get into either School and I blew out my ankle Senior year.... I played in North Bay while attending College for the North Bay Bulldogs for 3 seasons , but mostly play flag now to prevent injury. Position - Corner / Safety / LB ( when I finished HS , I was 5'9" and weighed 190Lbs , currently I am 5'11" and weigh in at 225Lbs ) I used to run like a 'vette and hit like a Mack Truck :laugh:

Baseball / Softball have been filling the time between other sports , I play 3rd base / CF.

I get out on my Mountain Bike as much as possible , finding new trails is always cool :wink:

I will try anything and try to stay as active as possible, I am a life long fan of most sports and still enjoy playing over watching!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
    No Streaming Account
  11. MGM

MGM Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hockey: From the time I was 5 through High School. I played on a State Championship team (DeSmet) and then signed as a "free agent" (code for: kicked out)my sophmore year at Ladue High School. I played in an adult league all the way up until I moved here to Arkansas back in 2000. RW. I still have all my equipment in case they build a rink down here :roll:

Baseball: 8-15yrs. I didn't play in HS because we were always still playing hockey in the spring.

Football: Was fighting for the QB job my Senior year when I blew out a knee in two-a-days. Always loved football but it just didn't excite me as much as hockey. Plus, when I got the boot from DeSmet, I lost a year of eligability. Hockey was a Club sport and they couldn't stop me.

No Streaming Account
  12. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Baseball: 14 years. Highest level was for Sauk Valley Community College. Only played 1 season there because I joined the Air Force.

Football: 7 years (6th - 12th). Was a blast, I was a RB/CB/KR. My school was somewhat small so a lot of us played on all sides of the ball. We only had like 25 kids on our team.

Track: 1 year, after a full season of running nothing but the 400m I decided not to sign up again. My best time in the 400m was 0.55

Gajeske85
  13. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wear glasses, my twin. :cool:

14. slow elk

slow elk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    football: started off with flag @ 4
    ended after tearing my ACL, MCL, and PCL my senior year in High
    school 18 yrs old.
    My sport of choice...was being recruited by a bunch of 1A and 1AA colleges (and offered scholarships) all over the country before my knee injury.

baseball: 4 or so till i was 19: played my freshman year and college and called it quits. Could throw 90mph (clocked @ 91), but wasn't consistent enough to go farther. LOL I probably beaned as many batters as I struck out.

track: I ran track freshman to senior year in high school to crosstrain for
    football, baseball, and basketball
    Ran 100, 200 dash
    400 relay, I think that's what it was called
    110 Hurdles
    High Jump (10' 8" my junior year)

basketball: I played freshman - junior year. wasn't very good though. I started but was more of a Rodman type player. A ton of rebounds and blocked shots, but also a ton of fouls. I think I fouled out of at least 75% of the games I played. We lost in the independent private schools state playoffs freshman and sophomore year to Ryan Academy which ended up winning it all 2 yrs in a row. Junior year we lost the State Championship to Tidewater. Senior year I couldn't play due to my knee injury.

Hockey: Loved playing street hockey my whole life, but there wasn't organized hockey clubs around here till I was in college. I'm now as big of an NHL fan as a football fan.

No Streaming Account