Belak: Someone will kill Avery

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by Probert, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2007/11/12/4650016-sun.html

Wade Belak predicts it is only a matter of time before Sean Avery gets seriously clocked.

Citing Avery's pre-game tomfoolery Saturday night as yet another example of why the instigator rule should be scuttled, Belak warns that the New York Rangers agitator is going to pay the price for his antics.

"He's pissing guys off," Belak said yesterday. "He'll bring harm to himself and not too many guys around the league are going to be sad to see it.

"If he keeps this up, someone is going to kill him. One day he's going to say something the wrong way and he'll be clubbed.

"And I'm not saying it will be by me, either."

Avery kicked off his act during the warmup Saturday when he gave Jason Blake a shove, then began flapping his gums at Blake and Darcy Tucker. Avery and Tucker ended up threatening each other with their sticks, but the incident went no further.

Avery, who ended up with the Gordie Howe hat trick -- a goal, an assist and a fight with Tucker -- pulled a similar pre-game stunt against the New Jersey Devils recently, talking smack at goalie Marty Brodeur before the Devils' David Clarkson entered the skirmish.

Belak said the instigator rule allows small superpests such as Avery to get away with his tactics without the fear of retribution.

"The league should do something, especially with that warmup crap," Belak said. "The instigator rule protects guys like that. He'll fight little guys like Darcy but you'll never see him pick on bigger guys like me and then drop the gloves.

"I remember Kelly Chase brought up the point at a players' association meeting but nothing ever came of it. I mean, we've talked about this issue for years."

Belak was not dressed against the Rangers, a decision questioned by Hockey Night in Canada's Don Cherry. During his Coach's Corner segment, Cherry criticized the Leafs for not suiting up their enforcer when they knew the always-feisty Avery -- aka The Pickering Pest -- would be at his ornery worst.

Belak rejects the notion making the rounds that there is no difference between Tucker and Avery.

"Darcy's an agitator but he doesn't say the type of personal stuff about your family that Avery does," Belak said. "It's ridiculous. If (Avery) ever starts chirping about my family like that, he'll get a stick over the head."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Respect to big Wade, who stands up for his teammates.

2. I'm with Don Cherry: WTF was Toronto thinking not dressing him against the Rangers? If there ever is a situation where a guy like Belak would willingly take an instigator it would have to be this one. Of course Avery will turtle, the typical modus operandi for cowards.

3. Does Belak not realize that he has contradicted himself in this article, and painted himself into a corner? If he does go after Avery the next time these two clubs meet, the NHL Disciplinary office will have Belak's own words to prove the instigator. If Belak goes beyond dropping the gloves, the league will have enough to prosecute him for premeditated assault.

2. murph17

murph17 Puff, Puff, Pass, Score!

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    couldn't happen to a more deserving person :)

murph17
  3. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    As don cherry said,
    Get rid of this stupid instigator rule! Worst bloody rule in the history of sports. In the old days if someone chirped off like that, they'd go and clock him. Today you get a 2, 5 and a 10min pen which is BS!!

Whatever happened with self discipline

4. M00SE21

M00SE21 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Avery is the biggest piece of garbage in hockey just like Belak said some is going to club him..All a team has to do is just bring up there biggest goon a guy who would never see the NHL , just to pound on him

No Streaming Account
  5. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Avery will get what's coming to him , the Hockey Gods are watching and they are not pleased :cool:

No Streaming Account
  6. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account
  7. darktrc

darktrc #40, Dangler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with swiper..Avery will get whats coming to him..whether if its Belak or not someone is going to go off and club this guy one of these days. Who know..it may even be Brodeur giving him a mouth full of blocker in his final games of his career. Does everyone else a favour I'd say.

No Streaming Account
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Avery will get what he has coming sooner or later... hopefully sooner.

This is another example what differentiates Avery from other "pests" (like Tucker). Being emotional during the game and being able to get under the other team's skin is one thing, and while it's certainly annoying when it works against your team it is what it is and you move on. Avery's tactics never stop, on and off the ice, which is the problem. He really doesn't care about trying to effect the flow of the game, he simply has no regard to other individuals and will say and do grossly inappropriate things simply because he thinks he can.

I never thought that I would have such dislike for any hockey player personality as I did for Ulf Samuelsson, but Avery has brought it to a whole new level.

No Streaming Account
  9. pop0331

pop0331 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "He has no sense of class," Tucker told reporters

No Streaming Account
  10. JOKhan

JOKhan Go Sabres Go

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah and adding to all this stuff, Avery is pure ugly, how does he get Cuthbert?!

No Streaming Account
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No kidding! You could usually say money and fame... but she probably has more money and definately more fame (outside of the hockey world at least).

No Streaming Account
  12. Fraserburn

Fraserburn Desk Jockey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cuthbert dumped his ass.......he's now getting bone spurs in his unit from trying to have sex with whats left of Mary Kate Olsen

Fraserburn
  13. slow elk

slow elk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wait till jansen gets back...the goons goon will take him out eventually

No Streaming Account