Are you going to buy NHL 19

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Canadian Hockey League (LGCHL PSN)' started by Windmillsfordayz, Mar 12, 2018.

?

Are you going to buy NHL 19

1. Hell no this game sucks

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. I will because it's the only hockey game

89 vote(s)
    73.6%
  3. Not for 80$ but, maybe when it goes on sale

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Nope I'm done with the EA NHL series

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Maybe, but I'll wait until after the release

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. NHL 19 is going to be a good game (said no one ever)

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. ndrdog

ndrdog 200+ negative ratings and 97% are from 4 people.

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Your first statement is just plain silly. Looping clock was unnoticeable with all the glitches this game had. Disappearing goals, fights that caused a loop of death, fight instructions that never went away, not able to use club match system etc etc etc. And the game is still glitch as hell. Still broken.

Ndrdog
  2. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15
    Most of that was patched in the first week. I'm not defending the length it time it took for them to patch the rest, it was unacceptable.

My statement about NBA is plain silly? Can you offer a real rebuttal? Your claim is that it is considered "across the board" as one of the best sports games out there. Why, then, does it have such divisive critical reviews, among the worst reviews of any NBA game since 2014, and the worst audience response since '15? Again, demonstrably false.

No Streaming Account
  3. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Actually I will address this. Do you really think that NHL 18 is realistic? Seriously? Do you think the laws of physics don't apply in the real world? Do you think it is a very common occurrence for a player to be against the boards and have the puck go right past them without even slowing down? Do you think that an average goalie really can not hold the puck for more than 1 second without it just trickling through their legs?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    Ndrdog
  4. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Stop smoking so much dope? Your reality is really f' d up.

• Troll Troll x 1
    Ndrdog
  5. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15
    Your argumentative style is completely fallacious.

No, of course I don't believe that your two carefully curated examples are realistic. I'm a working adult, I'm not stupid enough to hold any videogame to the standards of absolute, 1:1 realism. As someone who played junior and college hockey, I appreciate that the game rewards real strategy over button mashing. I appreciate that the game rewards positional play taught in real hockey camps and proper team structure. Regarding your board play reasoning, I see this all the time and hear guys whining about EA... meanwhile the reason for this is that 9 times out of 10, the player isn't properly positioning himself with his forehand along the boards, instead just positioning his player close to the puck... but not actually in position.

Does this make sense? And hey, I replied to you because of your erroneous belief that EA holds some form of exclusive license, which was as easily debunked as every other reply.

Moving on.

No Streaming Account
  6. Gschlez

Gschlez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +465 / 32 / -61
    Ea has shown almost no progression in the main areas their game needs help inover the last 3 titles.

Gameplay
    The stick lifting animation is just stupid no one stick lifts and ends up with the blade of their stick at eye level. Turns are all based off of preset animation that you have no control over. Puck pick ups are atriocous, how many times have you had a guy try and receive a pass on the boards to only have him miss the puck completely or have you skated completely over the pick.

I would say 30% of goals in this game come off on broken plays. Blocked passes and magically end up on an opponent stick for an easy tap in. Passes that hit off a D man and go in or straight to the opposing team, blocked shots that hit off your D and again go straight to our opponent. Forced passing as well seem to magically find the stick when there is almost no way that it's won't have hit off of something and gone aray in real life. There is not such thing and a loose puck on these plays in this game it always seems to find someones stick or is very close to someones stick who picks it up immediately

Skating still feels like I'm trying to turn a pickup truck when you want to turn or acelerate out of a turn. You often get sucked into animations that force you to do one thing instead of what you trely wanted to do with the puck or your skater.

I still dont get how poke checking from behind makes you lose the puck backwards, your momentum and more importantly the pucks momentum would indicate that the puck should be going forwards or side to side not backwards.

The AI is so OP that people just let the AI play Defense.

Servers
    Servers are bad and they haven't done anything to fix them, connection is still a deciding factor in games which it shouldn't be especially when it's been a problem for 3 titles now.

Experience
    EA loves pushing those microtransactions, there is almost no way to complete in HUT without spending a boat load of money because everything is a "pack only" type of card. They have done very little to grow the games offline modes over the past 3 titles and have almost completely abandoned any mode that doesn't involve somekind of microtransation.

I can live with MLB flaws because A) the care and talk with their community on how to improve and more importantly THEY LISTENED to what people had to say and they executed. B) the games offline modes are a lot more fun to play and keep you engaged over a long period of time.

• Like Like x 2
    Windmillsfordayz
  7. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15

I don't disagree with much of this. I came to this thread primarily arguing against the notion that EA holds exclusivity, which is false.

Everything you outline here are problems, but certainly not to the point that the experience is ruled by what you're outlining. Yes, the AI is absolutely OP, which is why I can only really stick to 6v6 or 3v3 these days.

I also think most in the community underestimate how complicated the physics of hockey are compared to almost any other sim. The puck mechanics absolutely need an overhaul, and the skating needs a definite refresh - although the general momentum is fairly similar to how skating in full gear feels. If anything, it's the crossover acceleration that needs a lot of work.

No Streaming Account
  8. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Well, your personal messages to me did not good so these won't either. In 06 right after the strike, the NHLPA agreed to an EXCLUSIVE deal with EA Electronics to produce games with their likenesses. The NHL executives were not happy. They forced them to include Take Two Interactive into the deal in a five year non-exclusive deal which ran to 2011. The NHL 2K series was stopped in 2010 on the major systems due to the fact that this contract was not going to be renewed. They did continue to produce a game on IOS and mobile platforms but were effectively eliminated from the console market. The same as with football and baseball

Ndrdog
  9. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15
    This isn't true. There's no exclusive deal signed between the NHL and any game publisher.

But please, offer a source.

No Streaming Account
  10. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Ndrdog
  11. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15
    I don't believe you read these, because none of them support your claims. The NHL shut down EA's desire to hold what would effectively be a short monopoly, ending in 2011. What you're referring to here is the NHLPA's exclusive deal with EA, which was only done (and never closed) to leverage the NHL into giving the PA a better deal when exploiting logo licenses etc.

The entire job of the NHLPA is to protect players and grow their revenue, especially via third party deals. How would it make ANY sense for the NHLPA to sign a deal that monopolized these rights? The players would NEVER agree to this. In 2006, a full year after your posted articles, the actual deal was signed between the NHL, NHLPA, EA, 2K with licensing still openly available to this day.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/nhl-and-nhlpa-agree-non-exclusive-deal-with-ea-and-2k-sports

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-2k-renew-nhl-license-deals/1100-6152906/

No Streaming Account
  12. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    The 93 edition of EA hockey which was called NHLPA Hockey had this--->
    "Although considered to be the second EA Sports NHL game, the game was not licensed by the NHL, however it did receive licensing permission from the NHLPA. Because of this all teams are referred to only by city with no use of the team name itself. Additionally, no NHL team logos or NHL emblems are seen anywhere in the game."
    So since you speak for the NHLPA would you like to explain? Additionally, I fully explained the licensing issue after 06and how that deal expired in 2011. Take-Two Interactive was well aware that the deal would NOT include them so in 2010, before the contract even expired they stopped producing for any console and moved to mobile platforms. Just as they did with MLB and NFL.

Ndrdog
  13. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    DodgesBlueBalls - you are fixated on the word exclusive. While the EA deal may not specify they only work with EA it is a defacto exclusive contract. Looking at the 4 major sports and who produces the games it is quite obvious. Looking at what happened to Take-Two immediately after the NHLPA first attempted total exclusivity it is obvious. Just like I said when you were sending me PM's - I have no more time to waste on you or this issue. (not to mention hijacking this thread). Logical people can see what is obvious. You stick with whatever you want to.

Ndrdog
  14. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15
    Citing 1993 is irrelevant here. Clearly they were under very different contracts, but the entire industry is in a different place. Since you're appealing to what is obvious, you might want to consider the difference in game sales/related revenue in 1993 vs the mid-00's and today. Apples and oranges.

The deal you're referring to was NEVER SIGNED. Are you capable of reading? Do you think Take Two's move away from publishing hockey games could've been the result of their diminishing sales on the new generation of consoles (PS3/360)? The introduction of EA's skill stick completely killed Take Two, as they worked to appeal to an audience more interested in an arcade-style game. Further, Take Two was forced to up the price of their games to stay profitable, keep in mind that the early "successful" versions of 2K hockey games were at nearly half the price point of EA's releases in Canada, and about 1/3 of the price in the USA. The exact same thing happened to the MLB series, which the company discontinued very shortly after the NHL contract.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/1/6/5281150/mlb-2k-games-webpages-pulled-offline-2k-sports

So let's look at econ 101. 2K's shipments were diminishing by over 50k/year, representing millions in lost revenue. EA's were either stable or growing by a significant margin, excluding NHL 2005 and NHL 15, transitional years for the franchise. Millions in lost revenue represented 2K's shift away, along with simply falling behind in innovation.

Please, you can't declare things to be true if you're either too stupid or too dense to understand them. I have no issue hijacking a thread if it means exposing the most simple-minded in this community. I applaud the creator of this thread for replying to me with a real argument and proper points, while you continue to be so set in your entirely incorrect claims, providing no evidence and repeatedly relying on ad hominem - a fallacy I'd expect from a child.

No Streaming Account
  15. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Where to start???? Citing things that don't fit your narrative are to old and thus irrelevant. That makes total sense. It's laughable how you seem to feel ordained to decide what is and isn't relevant or a valid source.
    So the industry is different and it's apples to oranges, ok. Let's look at Take-Two now. How are they doing? They produce the #1 selling sports game in the world -NBA2K18 thus further proving my point that it's the TOP game in the market. The people have dictated that with their $$$$. The ONLY game that has sold more is COD:WW2.
    So you revert to the name calling and childish behavior that you do all to often. Than you accuse me of acting like a child. The same type of backward logic you have used this entire time. A total waste of my time.

Ndrdog
  16. DodgesBlueShells

DodgesBlueShells Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 8 / -15
    How is it laughable to suggest that information from the early 90s isn't relevant to this conversation? You cited incomplete reports from 2005, I showed you the actual deal points from 2006... how can you possibly argue that the more recent evidence isn't the most relevant evidence?

Wait, you're qualifying your 2K18 remarks differently. You suggest it was one of the most well-received games, which is demonstrably false. Sales are irrelevant. I never said the game didn't sell well lol, so now you're moving into the strawman fallacy. Unless your belief is that sales are synonymous with quality lol.

Also, you aren't even fucking correct about your NBA sales claims. It's the #1 selling sports games in the USA, FIFA 18 is the #1 selling sports games in the world. I'm assuming you're using Wikipedia as your source, which incorrectly states the sales record. FIFA has nearly double NBA's worldwide sales.

Take Two is doing fine since consolidating their resources. What the fuck does the success of the NBA series have to do with their decisions to dissolve their MLB and NHL verticals? If you're asserting that the financial success of the NBA franchise should somehow support the poor sales of their NHL vertical, then you have no fucking idea how businesses operate. They kept NHL on life support via this model for 2-3 years, but this would never remain a perpetual operating standard when the vertical is consistently missing sales goals/isn't profitable.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    No Streaming Account
  17. MrBVA

MrBVA LD/RD

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -2
    Yup, gonna have to pay my annual membership fee to EA since there isn't another option. I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't for Leaguegaming league play.......

• Like Like x 2
    MrBVA
  18. ndrdog

Ratings:
    +52 / 32 / -206
    Thanks again for proving my point, you're an idiot. I NEVER said NBA2K18 was the best selling game in the world. NEVER. Just like I never said that EA had a monopoly or exclusive contract. You just keep attributing whatever you want to me and what is or isn't a fact or relevant. Go back to whatever college you are learning the types of invalid arguments and tell them you want your money back you ain't learned shit.

Ndrdog