Between Two Pipes w/ Lundieeee

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by Lundieeee, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Lundieeee

Lundieeee Warning Group

Discord:
    lundieeee#0
    Ratings:
    +127 / 2 / -5
    | Between Two Pipes: Pre Season |
    w/ Lundieeee

Welcome to Between Two Pipes with Lundieeee!

This will be the first edition of a 3 part series of media all about goalies. This first edition, "Pre Season", is my analysis and rankings of the S36 LGAHL goalies and tandems. The main stat I used to analyze a goalie was based on my favorite goalie stat, GSAA, or goals saved above average. This is a very good stat at equalizing goalies across the league, regardless of the team that they play for.
    GSAA = [Shots against x (1 – league-average save percentage)] – goals allowed

GSAA is calculated with a basis of ZERO which means that an exactly average goalie would have a GSAA value of ZERO. The more positive your value is, the more goals you compared to the league average goalie. If your value is negative, that value shows you how many more goals the league average goalie saved compared to you.

To calculate this stat, I took the stats from every goalie's most recent AHL season played in between the pipes from Seasons 34 & 35. A little over 50% of the goalies have played in the AHL recently but the other half didn't so, I took the most recent stats from the league you played net in, either NHL, CHL, or PSN. On the google sheet, you will see a field marked for what league the stats were imported from.

| Between Two Pipes: Trade Deadline | will follow shortly after the trade deadline with an intent to analyze where teams and goalies stand with the final push for the loffs about to start.

| Between Two Pipes: Season Recap | will come out after the Calder with a full season recap for everyone between the pipes.

*Please see attached google sheets for the full statistical breakdowns*

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QjHtwxqF_frQEAVKXPdXgyTrt_epRX/pub?output=pdf

Top 10 Goalies
    according to GSAA

:team350: Shloopsgotpoops (38.68) :team350:
    :team618: Darth Sniper II (36.20) :team618:
    :team352: GOAT YeeYee (34.56) :team352:
    :team518: Z3R0CR45H (31.34) :team518:
    PSF qnpsdub (31.19) PSF
    :team516: Zadina ll11ll (30.55):team516:
    :team519: Hautein (28.67) :team519:
    :team314: JT13 (28.31) :team314:
    :team299: Knob Jawkey (23.12):team299:
    :team314: I Eden l (20.45) :team314:

Top 10 Goalie Tandems

according to GSAG

:team350: Hershey Bears :team350:

Shloopsgotpoops (38.68)
    Slippery In Net (15.90)

:team314:
    Hartford Wolfpack :team314:

JT13 (28.31)
    I Eden l (20.45)

:team516: Stockton Heat :team516:

Zadina ll11ll (30.55)
    MasterTedQcc (11.63)

:team518: San Diego Gulls :team518:

Z3R0CR45H (34.34)
    Ouellet I30I (10.73)

:team618: Tucson Roadrunners :team618:
    Darth Sniper II (36.20)
    GoalieBro (3.64)

:team519: San Jose Barracuda :team519:

Hautein (28.67)
    Notorious0ne617 (8.93)

:team299: Grand Rapids Griffins :team299:

Knob Jawkey (23.12)
    Creamsicle2011 (11.06)

:team352: Providence Bruins :team352:

GOAT YeeYee (34.56)
    xAKUx Reaper (-3.20)

:team395: Chicago Wolves :team395:

PitcheRxSwaGx (15.18)
    Crabby Crawfish (9.00)

:team300: Texas Stars :team300:

SlowGazzelle (14.02)
    Tones Drop (9.93)

Lundieeee's Top 5 Tandems

1. :team350: Hershey Bears :team350:

The best tandem in my eyes goes to the Hershey bears. Shloops is one of the best goalies around and he is returning to the AHL after a brief stint for the worst NHL team last season. He put up some decent numbers while playing on the NHL's worst Islanders team. Look for this guy to win many games this season and sit around that .790-.820 range. Slippery In Net will be backing up Shloops on his days off. He is returning to Hershey and will provide them with a lot of experience between the pipes and a great veteran presence. Let's hope Hershey knows what they are doing up front and don't waste this top goalie tandem.

2. :team518:San Deigo Gulls :team518:

Coming in 2nd in my rankings are the Gulls. Sharp and the boys were able to lock in another great tandem in Zero and Ouellet. Arguably the best team in the AHL this season will also have arguably the best goalie tandem. The better goalie on the roster is Z3R0CR4SH but Ouelett is a newer goalie who has been nothing short of elite since coming into the league in season 32. I do not know what the availability looks like but look for both goalies to have a save % in the .810-.820 rang in save percentage this season

3. :team314: Hartford Wolf Pack :team314:

Eden and JT can also be thrown in for the best goalie tandem. If these guys were on a better team, they would be higher. Eden should be able to win them some games they should not, and JT will try to do the same. These goalies can make this team a playoff team looking to upset someone in round 1.

4. :team618: Tucson Roadrunners :team618:

GoalieBro will lead this team all season. He is a very experienced goalie and has been exceptionally good his whole career at every level. Darth is a newer goalie coming off an amazing season as one of the CHL's best goalies. He should be a great backup in a "prove it" season to make the jump to becoming an AHL starter in the future. This goalie tandem has A LOT of help in front of them so look for these guys to be in the top of goalie stats.

5. :team299: Grand Rapids Griffins :team299:

The defending Calder Cup champions bring back both their goalies for the summer season. Darcy (now known as Knob Jawkey) will lead this team to another deep run for Donny and Cubs. He puts in a lot of work into being an elite goalie and it shows. Cream is a very good backup goalie and will look to improve on his winless playoff performance last season.

GSAA is not a perfect stat but it does paint a pretty good picture of who the good goalies are around the league. Sorry to Laval but your goalies don't have relevant goalie stats and I haven't seen them play. I wish the best of luck to the other few teams who have a goalie with old or no stats. Your chirps and feedback are very welcomed.

Thanks for reading and best of luck this season fellas!​

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. Broomball16

Broomball16 Washed

Discord:
    Broomball16#1587
    Ratings:
    +1,593 / 863 / -480
    Broomball1881
  3. Firehalomaniac

Firehalomaniac Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 18 / -26
    Great write up man, I know from talking to you today you put a ton of time into this. Even though I'm not a G I enjoyed the read

firehalomaniac
  4. xAKUx Reaper

xAKUx Reaper Well-Known Member

Discord:
    awfulreaper#0
    Ratings:
    +147 / 5 / -7
    Whooooo worst stats on the list, fuck yeah.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. Darse

Darse Knob Jockey

Discord:
    darcykuemper#0
    Ratings:
    +3,362 / 98 / -121
    Great write up! I respect the use of stats. My assumption is that you correlated your calculation based on # shots & saves w/ # games played.

If you implemented playoff stats, would that positively or negatively affect the overall results in terms of accuracy?

DKuemps
  6. Lundieeee

Lundieeee Warning Group

Discord:
    lundieeee#0
    Ratings:
    +127 / 2 / -5
    So this was the base version of what I ultimately want to do. I took some time figuring out the direction I wanted to go in for the tread so it took away some time with importing and calculating more stats. I am going to be adding more and more with these as time goes by and I will implement total career stats (Regular+Playoffs) within the AHL for the next edition.

The calculation for GSAA, I calculated the overall league save percentage for season 35 for each league and applied it to what league I took the players stats from. I believe almost everyone relevant S34 or S35 goalie stats from those seasons. The GSAA stat itself levels out the playing field with individual shots against and attempted.

Now that I have some time before the trade deadline I am going to be importing stats as the season progresses and I will be able to provide an even more accurate representation of the stats and rankings.

No Streaming Account
  7. Next BIue

Next BIue My Nerves are shot..

Ratings:
    +72 / 7 / -6
    SQUAWKKKK Good write up Mr Tudixxxx

No Streaming Account
  8. Draward x 97

Draward x 97 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Draward x 97#5024
    Ratings: