Breaking down the Top 5 AHL Scorers of the Last 3 Seasons

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL PSN)' started by JClaus33, Dec 18, 2016.

1. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    Hi guys, I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and with the regular season coming to an end, I thought this would be a perfect time to unveil it. I decided to take a look back at the top 5 scorers in the AHL over the past 3 seasons, and break down their quality of competition, as well as show how they did in their first season in the NHL, after graduating from the AHL. In the case of the current AHL top scorers, I included their games that they ECU'd for this season. Now with that being said, I'll include a TL;DR at the end for those that aren't interested in all of the numbers, but I will include my thoughts on each player as well.

Please note this thread isn't meant to discredit anyone, just a breakdown and a deeper dive into the top AHL talent.

Season 1 AHL TOP 5 SCORERS:

@Theos_l7l :

VS Non-playoff teams: 9-2

55 points- 5 PPG

VS playoff teams: 13-2-1

76 points- 4.75 PPG

Playoffs:

2-2-0 11 points- 2.75 PPG

1st Season in the NHL:

VS non-playoff teams: 11-3-1

80 points- 5.33 PPG

VS playoff teams: 7–3-1

22 points- 2.0 PPG

Despite what a lot of people seemed to think about Theos coming out of season 1, he actually played more vs playoff competition, and produced at nearly the same rate between playoff and non-playoff teams during his one season in the AHL. With that being said, the stats clearly show a rather large discrepancy in his rookie NHL season, and paints a picture as to why despite leading the league in points, he didn't win the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie. That being said, Theos has established himself as one of the top scorers in the league, and showed that his dominance in the AHL was no fluke.

@Crazymarchese:

VS non-playoff teams: 7-2

33 points- 3.67 PPG

VS playoff teams: 14-4-1

85 points- 4.47 PPG

1st Season in NHL:

VS non-playoff teams: 8-3-1

40 points- 3.33 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 3-7-1

19 points- 1.72 PPG

The only person on this list who performed significantly better vs playoff teams, Marchese was 1/3 of the line that made up 3 of the top 5 AHL scorers during season 1. He put up an astounding 4.47 points per game average vs playoff competition, which formed the majority of his games. One of the few cases where nobody could say anything about their QoC, Marchese has yet to bring that kind of dominance to the NHL level however, as he's yet to crack 60 points in an NHL season.

@Ethos Jinx:

VS non-Playoff teams: 14-3-0

71 points- 5.07 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 6-3-1

30 points- 3 PPG

Playoffs:

5-1-0 26 points

1st NHL Season:

VS non-Playoff Teams: 6-4-0

27 points- 2.70 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 8-1-2

22 points- 2.00 PPG

The top goal scorer from season 1, Ethos definitely made his mark on the league. His underlying numbers however, showed a trend that his numbers may have been a smokescreen. His production vastly dropped off vs better competition, playing a whopping 17 games vs non-playoff teams, and averaging over 2 points per game fewer vs playoff competition. That being said, he did turn that around in the NHL, and put up a very respectable 8-1-2 record vs playoff teams despite only going 2 PPG. Ethos has since transitioned to goaltender, where he put up a very solid season with the Florida Panthers.

@TheRealBbenzZ

VS non-Playoff teams: 10-1-0

44 points- 4 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 13-2-1

58 points- 3.63 PPG

Playoffs:

2-2-0 8 points

1st NHL Season:

VS non-playoff teams: 8-4-1

23 points- 1.77 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 4-9-2

26 points- 1.73

Benz was the 3rd part of the dynamic S1 Stockton line, and was the playmaking machine that not only set a record that still stands for most AHL assists in a season, but also is the reason that someone was banned a season later. Benz, like Theos, played his fair share of non-playoff teams, but also put up a very solid record of 13-2-1 vs Playoff teams in Season 1, and carried that into being drafted 16th overall in the next draft. So far he hasn't been able to bring that S1 success to the NHL level, and switched to RD where he had a respectable season between 3 different teams.

@Timyz7:

VS non-playoff teams: 8-0-1

36 points- 4 PPG

VS playoff teams: 11-7-1

55 points- 2.89 PPG

Playoffs:

0-2-0 2 points

1st NHL Season:

VS non-playoff teams: 1-3-0

6 points- 1.5 PPG

VS playoff teams: 0-7-1

8 points- 1 PPG

While doing my research for this write up, I was a bit surprised to see Timy at the top of the points leaderboards, but he proved in season 2 it wasn't a fluke where he put up back to back 80+ point seasons in the AHL. He was the top skater on a San Antonio Rampage team that made the playoffs in Season 1, and again in Season 2. Unfortunately for him, he got caught in a rough situation for Season 3 with a Washington team that was in turmoil, and ended up falling to the bottom of the standings after an ownership change.

SEASON 2 AHL TOP 5 SCORERS:

@JClaus33:

VS non-playoff teams: 7-1-0

53 points- 6.63 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 18-1-0

93 points- 4.9 PPG

Playoffs:

N/A (smh)

1st NHL Season:

VS non-playoff teams: 7-0-0

33 points- 4.71 PPG

VS playoff teams: 15-5-1

61 points- 2.90 PPG

I won't say too much about myself, but amongst the other top scorers, I also played the toughest schedule, with 19 of my 27 games coming vs playoff teams. After going in bidding for season 3, I followed that up by going 22-5-1, and leading all centers in scoring with 94 points.

@ryno--7:

VS non-playoff teams: 14-1-0

68 points- 4.53 PPG

VS Playoff teams: 8-2-1

36 points- 3.27 PPG

Playoffs: 3-3-2 16 points

1st NHL Season:

N/A (Sign up already)

Ryno, the technical leading scorer from Season 2, anchored the 2nd line of Rockford during Season 2, kind of taking a backseat to Myself, and Kraz. He picked up some easier matchups along the way, but also had a revolving door of RW's with him the whole season. Looking at his strength of schedule, he's surprisingly got a tougher set of games than a lot of the top scorers from this season. Ryno didn't sign up for Season 3, much to my chagrin, and hopefully he brings the RyGoat back for Season 4.

@MattTheCoolCat:

VS non-playoff teams: 10-0-3

66 points- 5.08 PPG

VS playoff teams: 7-3-3

37 points- 2.85 PPG

Playoffs:

3-1-1 16 points

1st NHL Season (Sorta):

9-0-0 vs non-playoff teams:

27 points- 3.0 PPG

8-9-2 vs playoff teams:

41 points- 2.16 PPG

Matt, a longtime XBox player, came to the AHL last season and started off a bit slow, but after being reunited with his buddy @Bobby_Goggles12 picked it up and finished right at the top of the scoring charts. That being said, after a season in the AHL, and a season in the NHL, he has shown a trend of struggling a bit vs playoff teams, compiling a 15-12-5 record over the last 2 seasons against playoff teams. He seems to follow the trend from season 1, of top scorers struggling a bit vs top competition, but he has proven to be a solid scorer and producer when it comes to playing non-playoff teams.

@Kraz18:

VS non-playoff teams: 7-0-0

35 points- 5 PPG

VS playoff teams: 13-0-0

65 points- 5 PPG (Talk about consistent)

Playoffs:
    6-2-1 31 points

First NHL Season:

VS non-playoff teams: 11-1-1

52 points- 4 PPG

VS playoff teams: 10-5-0

46 points- 3.06 PPG

Kraz took the league by storm last season, along with myself, putting up a staggering 5 PPG average over a full season, finishing with 100 points in just 20 games. He proved that he could do it no matter the competition, going 13-0-0 against playoff teams, along with averaging 5 PPG against both playoff and non-playoff competition. He played a huge role in bringing a championship to Rockford in Season 2, and followed that up my being drafted 7th overall (Should've gone 1st) and although it was against a softer schedule, managed to finish top 5 in NHL scoring, with 98 points in his rookie season, and is a lock for top 3 in Calder voting for Season 3.

@ItzJohansen92

VS non-playoff teams: 8-4-0

45 points- 3.75 PPG

VS playoff teams: 11-2-0

52 points- 4 PPG

Playoffs: 3-2-0 13 points

First NHL Season:

VS non-playoff teams: 4-2-0

15 points- 2.5 PPG

VS playoff teams: 3-3-0

11 points- 1.83 PPG

Johansen rounded out the top 5 in AHL scoring last season, splitting his season between Portland(now Springfield) and Rochester, where he led the Americans to an Eastern Conference Final appearance. He, unlike many of these other top scorers, actually performed better vs playoff teams, going 11-2-0 with 52 points vs 8-4-0 vs non-playoff teams. He followed that up by being selected 10th overall by Vancouver, before being traded to Buffalo, where they had a tough season, but he managed to finish with a respectable 26 points in 12 games. Look for him to bounce back with a big season on what should be a much improved Buffalo squad.

SEASON 3 AHL TOP 5 SCORERS:

@Kingbling647:

VS non-playoff teams: 17-3-0

91 points- 4.55 PPG

VS playoff teams:
    5-3-0

23 points- 2.88 PPG

Playoffs: TBD

1st NHL Season (ECU’s):

VS non-playoff teams:
    1-1-0

6points- 3 PPG

VS playoff teams: 2-2-1

7 points- 1.4 PPG

The leading scorer from Season 3 in the AHL, KingBling has made himself known this season by spamming the NHL shoutbox with his youtube videos, and also by being atop the AHL scoring charts for most of the season. A deeper look into his statistics shows an alarming trend, where he played an absurd 20 of his 28 games vs non-playoff teams. Say what you will about choosing your games, but it will make Owners think long and hard this upcoming draft about someone who only went 5-3 vs playoff teams at the top of the draft. I won't speak to my personal opinion of him, but I will say you might go higher in the draft if you ever stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person.

@MafiaMan15:

VS non-playoff teams: 15-1-1

68 points- 4 PPG

VS playoff teams: 7-3-1

35 points- 3.18 PPG

ECU’s this season: 0-3-0 2 points

Mafiaman, an AHL veteran, returned down there for another season, after being the 3rd wheel last season with @MattTheCoolCat and @Bobby_Goggles12 he decided to lead a line by himself, and he did just that, finishing with 103 points coming in 2nd in AHL scoring. That being said, he, like the aforementioned Kingbling, played an alarming amount of games vs non-playoff teams, with 17 of his 28 games coming vs non-playoff teams. His drop off was not as much, but it seemed to be a common theme this season, with no one person/line truly dominating the league like in seasons past.

@Rickchel98:

VS non-playoff teams: 8-4-0

50 points- 4.17 PPG

VS playoff teams:
    9-4-1

49 points- 3.5 PPG

ECU’s this season: 1-2-0 5 points

Rickchel came into the AHL, with a lot of talk around him, after stirring the pot and making himself known as a 2's player. All the talk coming into this season was initially followed by a very disappointing 1-5 start for him. After a bad start with the Ontario Reign, he was traded to Bakersfield where he took off, and only lost 4 games the rest of the season. His disparity in playoff vs non-playoff teams played was not nearly as big as the previous 2, but he still managed to finish with a very solid 99 point season, as his team heads into the playoffs. If I'm an owner I'm paying serious attention to him in the upcoming draft.

@Brentlymulligan

VS non-playoff teams: 12-1-0

60 points- 4.62 PPG

VS playoff teams: 6-5-1

37 points- 3.08 PPG

ECU’s this season: 0-3-0 3 points

Another player that this trend seems to ring true to, Brently led the AHL in goals scored this season, and was the best player on a solid Rampage team and came into his first season of LG with a very impressive 97 point season. Again however, he has an alarming discrepancy in his performance vs playoff teams, in contrast to his performance vs non-playoff teams. A 6-5-1 record vs playoff teams and a big PPG drop off would make me nervous as an owner about using a high pick on him, but his goal scoring talent can't be denied, and it will be very interesting to see if he will be the S3 version of Ethos.

@PoopinSince95:

VS non-playoff teams: 11-2-0

54 points- 4.15 PPG

VS playoff teams: 8-6-1

40 points- 2.67 PPG

ECU’s this season: 2-1-1 12 points

Poopin was someone who came into this season with a fair amount of hype, after going 4 PPG in limited CHL action last season, and while being a solid contributor all season, really turned it up at the end of the season where he leapt into the top 5 scorers. He, like Brently however, managed only an 8-6-1 record vs playoff competition, and averaged less than 3 PPG. I have played against him a few times however, and I was impressed with what I saw, I think he'll translate fine to the NHL level next season.

Please note, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have any ill will or anything personal against anyone mentioned here, I am just pointing out a trend that started Season 1, and seems to be repeating itself with the top scorers of Season 3.

BONUS

@DomSquad100 and @j_marz25

VS non-playoff teams: 10-1-0

Dom: 49 points- 4.45 PPG J_Marz: 43 points- 3.9 PPG

VS playoff teams: 12-3-1

Dom: 43 points- 2.63 PPG, J_Marz: 46 points- 2.88 PPG

ECU’s this season: Dom- 4-1-0 9 points; J_Marz- 5-2-1 17 points

I felt like despite not being top 5 scorers when the regular season was all said and done, I needed to make note of both Domsquad and J_Marz, who if I'm not mistaken, played every single game together this season. They had strikingly similar numbers, as you'd expect, however J_Marz performed a bit better vs playoff teams, and these 2 were one of the only "top" scorers to actually play more games against playoff competition. You can count on both of these guys translating their performance to the next level.

@jmm420

VS non-playoff teams: 7-1-1

37 points- 4.11 PPG

VS playoff teams:
    14-4-0

53 points- 2.94 PPG

Playoffs:
    TBD

ECU's this season: 3-3-1 10 points

Similarly to Dom and J_Marz, I felt it would be wrong not to include jmm, the GM of the President's Trophy winning Syracuse Crunch. He played the most games against playoff teams compared to any other top scorer, and not only went against, but was also successful against the top teams, week in and week out. He put up a very impressive 90 point season and has his team rolling into the playoffs. I expect to see him in the NHL next season after a very impressive S3 campaign.

TL;DR S1 top scorers and S3 top scorers seemed to not like playing "top" competition, S2 top scorers showed their dominance was no fluke by carrying it into NHL dominance in S3.

I'd like to conclude this write up by again mentioning I have no personal ill will towards anyone I mentioned in this, I just pointed out trends/red flags that I noticed, and I would be sure to mention as an Owner/GM myself. I am really into numbers and stats and enjoyed doing this deep dive/breakdown of the numbers behind the top players. Hope you all enjoyed the read, and do what you will with the information.

Cheers!

JClaus33

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    JClaus33
  2. meka DVA meka

meka DVA meka Bring Load Management To LG

Ratings:
    +3,475 / 92 / -197
    "Coltcrazy :
    Josh you cant add yourself to the list when you stat padded"

THIS 10000000% I would say best player of season 2 was @ItzJohansen92 as he wasn't involved in Rockford and any of the alarming news that has come out of it recently with the stories that are told and perhaps believed. Putting yourself @JClaus33 in this conversation is troubling. Imho @ItzJohansen92 is the true GOAT(I know you are fond of this word) of season 2.

Good article tho

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Nybarisny
  3. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    You can say that, but you would be wrong.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    JClaus33
  4. AppleWizard47

AppleWizard47 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +799 / 50 / -65
    Good break down Claus

PS4 guys don't know this, but I have not played forward on any NHL game until I started playing PS4. I'm a D-man... I also had almost 9/9 avail, I just show up and play. I just wish my Xbox team didn't completely suck this season :( I needed @Lazy Pedestrian

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  5. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    stfu Mafia, I'm building a weak persona on Ps4

LazyPedestrian
  6. KBI13I

KBI13I Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580 / 78 / -164
    Good write-up, I enjoyed reading this. Excellent break down on everyone's stats and their performance against Playoffs teams vs non playoffs teams. Unfortunately I couldn't play against that many so-called "Competitive teams" or playoff teams but if you count teams that were right at the edge of a playoffs spot but fell short like Rockford then my stats would be incorrect. Don't get it twisted, I love to play against competition and everyone that knows me would say the same including yourself as you seen my performance against your Pro Series team during playoffs.

• Get Good Get Good x 3
    • Troll Troll x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. KMAC5

KMAC5 Second coming of KMAC

Discord:
    kmac3323#0
    Ratings:
    +649 / 96 / -220
    Yeah your right kb the Americans, wolf pack, griffins , heat, cuda, baby sens, monsters, admirals bridge port and Mariles were all on the edge of a playoff spot

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    kmcdonald_55
  8. AppleWizard47

Ratings:
    +799 / 50 / -65
    There's another similarity of all the people from Season 1 and 3 on the list... None of them tampered with their own stats

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Theos-_-

Theos-_- Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 18 / -15
    S1 Stockton Heat will always be in my heart

Theos711
  10. ittozziloP

ittozziloP Hashtag Big Three

Ratings:
    +365 / 57 / -37
    It's not Brentleys fault he had to face the Reign twice in the last week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Prochx9

Prochx9 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Dommy#7793
    Ratings:
    +360 / 29 / -62
    Nice write up Josh! Thanks for the kind words

No Streaming Account
  12. EliteBe4TheKids

EliteBe4TheKids Well-Known Member

Discord:
    elitebe4thekids#0
    Ratings:
    +457 / 1,376 / -1,549
    matt the cool cat is the best. dont let stats fool you

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    ridleywr24cb
  13. Bizzibiz

Bizzibiz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256 / 64 / -30
    Can you do one for defenseman. I mean...defenseman that actually play defense lol. Not to toot my own horn here, but 22 of my 26 games were vs playoff teams. Finished 12th in points, 6th in assists. Not bragging just proud of myself lol. Good read btw.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    No Streaming Account
  14. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    I can probably do a breakdown on defensemen in the offseason, it will take a lot more time since I would be subjectively doing the top 5 defensemen, rather than the top 5 scorers, but I will try and do something for that

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    JClaus33
  15. rickchel

rickchel Champ here

Discord:
    rickchel#0
    Ratings:
    +193 / 7 / -15
    rickchel
  16. AppleWizard47

Ratings:
    +799 / 50 / -65
    @JClaus33 ... let's compare records for the next two seasons...

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  17. T_H_E_C_H_E_F

T_H_E_C_H_E_F Well-Known Member

Discord:
    thechef#7724
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -2
    Too bad he won't see that for awhile....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    t_h_e_c_h_e_f123
  18. ThaFoSix

ThaFoSix Well-Known Member

Discord:
    thafosix#0
    Ratings:
    +127 / 3 / -14
    Damn, I was in a position to be in the updated version :(

F

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. Blackngold37

Blackngold37 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 120 / -199
    I was wondering this too. Isn't he a known cheat?

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  20. meka DVA meka

meka DVA meka Bring Load Management To LG

Ratings:
    +3,475 / 92 / -197
    Nybarisny