Coach Yargage - 1-1-3 "T" Forecheck

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by YargageQC, Feb 8, 2015.

1. xH3XTx

xH3XTx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I would be interested in seeing this, if you have the videos handy. My concern would be that, because of game mechanics, it would be far to easy for F1 to be crossed which would break the trap.

I for one enjoy the strategy of the game. Unfortunately, you rarely get to have these type of discussions because very few clubs stay together.

No Streaming Account
  2. BeastModeCowb0y

BeastModeCowb0y Any1 can get it

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    You should coach youth hockey.

No Streaming Account
  3. Freddy Couples

Freddy Couples Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +445 / 0 / -0
    Poor kids would never get a chance to skate. By the time he finished explaining their first drill practice would be over, lol.

Just jokes, Yargage :p

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  4. NickyDubya

NickyDubya Yup

Ratings:
    +446 / 51 / -21
    1-1-3. I thought that died with TBL's old coach.

No Streaming Account
  5. GolSki6027

GolSki6027 Nujabes

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -25
    [video=youtube;ZdzCR_7RR60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdzCR_7RR60[/video]

GolSkiii
  6. x MrLoops x

x MrLoops x #ForceThePass

Discord:
    MrLoops#3606
    Ratings:
    +696 / 20 / -19
    1 - 3 - 1

• Like Like x 18
    Lupul_x_19
  7. CptMatt Sparrow

CptMatt Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +126 / 2 / -4
    yargage is alive?!

No Streaming Account
  8. Dr Yargage

Dr Yargage Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33

What I meant was I came up with the idea myself. I didn't mean that no one else in the history of hockey hasn't came up with the same idea. If you search 1-1-3 on youtube, it just comes up with a bunch of basketball defense strategies.

I don't think I "Revolutionized Hockey". One thing I have learned in life, is that very very very rarely is an idea one that someone else hasn't thought of before. I commend your peewee coach for trying to innovate new hockey strategies. I wasn't able to come across this idea before over the internet. Most peewee players know more about executing hockey team systems than the so called elite players in this game. How did this system work for your team?

The reason that this video is unlisted, and all my other videos will be the same is that I'm not doing this for the fame of "Revolutionizing" anything. I just enjoy these aspects of hockey and do this as a hobby. I make these videos to share them with people who enjoy them. It's kind of ironic how studying the game of hockey and posting a video on an Internet Hockey League website gets one ridiculed, but I guess that is the cool thing to do, right?

For anyone who is interested, this is my favorite person when it comes to hockey strategy in general.

https://www.youtube.com/user/weissie20

His videos are all great and he great charisma in delivering the concepts in simple terms. I have watched most of his videos and anyone who enjoys what I posted will enjoy his videos more.

[video=youtube;xzpndHtdl9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A[/video]

dryargage
  9. EricE30

EricE30 -------

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 24 / -63

Once again, I agree with you.

9 week hiatus is coming for me, after 15 straight as a player, and 8 as a management position. Go hard Yargage.

No Streaming Account
  10. Dr Yargage

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33
    We haven't ever ran this much because we just never had 5 players that played together long enough to do it all the time. When we did pick games to focus on just doing this forecheck all game, it worked rather well.

Eventually teams would adapt during the game and start getting more zone entries on us, but it forced them to slow down their rush and make multiple passes. That is kind of the whole point. If they have to avoid hits at the line, use neutral zone relays, and dump it in, this system has already achieved its goal. Most teams use the rush to score 80% of their goals. When they have to change the way the gain the zone and try to get scoring chances it gives you a big advantage.

I forget their club name, but Air Raid's team has an offensive system that is very hard to defend against. You can tell that those guys have a certain way that they are trying to run their offense, and it works. I wish more teams would stay together long enough so you could see a wide variety of team systems utilized.

dryargage
  11. Dr Yargage

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33
    Even though you and myself had a pretty good war of words going on between us via PMs, I didn't think you would step down. I can understand your reasoning 100%. I wish you the best in your 1 season Hiatus. Most people in this league don't give praise for the stress and amount of work it takes to be management in this league.

Without Tris, Brodie, and staff we would have no league. Without owners and management we would have no league. Without the players we would have no league. Everyone seems to forget that we all need each other to be able for this thing to work and for us to have the fun that we do.

• Like Like x 1
    dryargage
  12. Dr Yargage

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33
    Getting PMs like this also shows that not everyone is an internet tough guy on this site.

• Like Like x 1
    dryargage
  13. TheRunningChief

TheRunningChief Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1
    So it's more of a passive LW lock, I can dig it. Although the LWL stays passive in their own zone (basically playing 3D).

I really like having the D be able to make a play (the strong side D at the blue line, and weak side behind the net)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    No Streaming Account
  14. Dr Yargage

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33
    The leftwing lock was started by the Czechs in the 1970s. The Soviets were mainly left hands and ran their offense thru the left side of the ice. The Czechs started to roll their defenseman to that side and had the LW play back to fill in the gap that their overload created. That system in the current version employs a forward to the side of the 2 D and uses 2 forecheckers on the puck, with them trying to create the turnover.

This system is more of a 1-3-1 than a LW lock. The center will always be filling in for the strongside D when entering his own defensive zone. The system is designed to funnel the play to the strongisde D and allow him to step up for the hit. He is the man who is going to cause the turnover most of the time here. The other 2 forwards are there to take away the middle of the ice and force them to take it wide towards the boards where it is easier to make a hit than it is in the middle of the ice.

This is a trap, it isn't designed to get the puck back in the offensive zone by any means.

dryargage
  15. TheRunningChief

TheRunningChief Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1
    I just meant that both systems do similar things (force the play to one side and overload it.) Obviously at different spots on the ice.

The reason I didn't compare it straight up to the 1-3-1 is in NHL15 it's really easy for the opposing team to pass across if there is only 1 forward near their blueline. That's why you have two forwards forechecking.

Again I really like this set up, and it leads into a safe breakout if it works.

No Streaming Account
  16. Dr Yargage

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33
    At the end of the day it's still an EA sports game and people will be able to pass it thru your players. The main thing is once they get to the line, one of 3 players is going to be able to take a swing at the homerun open ice hit, knowing that their spot will be covered.

Its passive in that it allows them to break it out. It's aggressive in that they are going to have to avoid a hit at some point which is going to disrupt their rush and hopefully cause turnovers, offsides, dumpins, or make them enter the zone without forwards flying in at full speed as passing options.

You can't completely stop people from entering your zone, but you can make it harder on them.

dryargage
  17. BeastModeCowb0y

BeastModeCowb0y Any1 can get it

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    Best of 5 tonight? I'd love to see this.

No Streaming Account
  18. Dr Yargage

Discord:
    Dr Yargage#3328
    Ratings:
    +1,058 / 22 / -33
    I gotta fix my truck tonight and I don't have the people together that know how to run this.

If I could magically bring back the main BtC squad I would be able to show you a bunch of stuff but only 2 skaters from that lineup still play.

dryargage
  19. dom qp

dom qp ?????????? ^_____^

Discord:
    dom#9973
    Ratings:
    +657 / 0 / -0
    Hi Yargage,

I was excited to see this and became motivated to share one of my main strategies with you.

It's called the "D" or "D D D" or "DOM DOM DOM".

It involves giving F1 (LW) the puck and having me deposit it in the net behind the goaltender, thereby winning the game.

This works against top teams when the other 4 skaters are committed to giving F1 the puck.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  20. Ayohh

Ayohh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +944 / 11 / -18
    I kinda skimmed the video, mostly because it takes you painfully long to explain anything, but all I got out of it is that you described the standard 2-3 defensive forecheck and renamed it a 1-1-3. This is the stuff they teach 10 year olds. It's simple.

2 forwards up. One pushes the puck carrier out of the middle of the ice (force him to pass to the board side winger) and towards the boards, the other forward takes away the easiest passing option (In the NHL series, you do this by hanging out near the center of the ice and crashing the winger once the pass is released from the defenseman). Defensemen + center create a line in the neutral zone(more like triangle with the center being a little higher). Defensemen wait to crash on wingers and the center is there to clean up and clog lanes, cycle back behind the pinching defensemen.

Don't need no theatrical release to explain that.

Ayohhhh