Please Review! Community Discussion - Thresh Hold Matchmaking?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Canadian Hockey League (LGCHL PSN)' started by LG McDonald, Jan 28, 2021.

?

What are your thoughts on this proposal?

1. Yes, let's give this a try!

48.0%
  2. No, leave the veto system as is

49.8%
  3. Other (comment below)

2.2%
  1. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +11,633 / 104 / -778
    [​IMG]
    Reference screen shot

Thresh Hold Matchmaking

Adding the South Central server I am hearing from a lot of players that it DOES provide a even East v West playing ground. What do we feel about this equation:

9 or more players best server NA - East - Virginia = Use this server for the game
    9 or more players best server NA - North East - Montreal = Use this server for the game
    9 or more players best server NA - Central - Ohio = Use this server for the game
    9 or more players best server NA - South Central - Dallas = Use this server for the game
    9 or more players best server NA - North West - Portland = Use this server for the game
    9 or more players best server NA - West - San Jose = Use this server for the game

A combination of 9 or more players from NA - East - Virginia + NA - North East - Montreal + NA - Central - Ohio = Game is played on NA - Central - Ohio

ANY combination that has 6 players who are best server NA - West - San Jose and or NA - North West - Portland + 6 players from NA - East - Virginia and or NA - North East - Montreal and or NA - South Central and or NA - Central - Ohio = Game is played on South Central - Dallas

My thoughts

9/12 skaters in a game determine the server selection based on their location. That means 75% of of lobby needs to be closest to ONE server for it to be selected. With the league 70-75% East, this seems like a fair number to use for games.

With the growing number of western players, if a game ends up with 75% of the lobby in the west, why SHOULDN'T we use a western server? 75%, 6 skaters on one line and half the line on their opponent. How many teams stack western players together now anyways?

Your thoughts? Give me your idea, your feedback. Where can we improve this idea? Is it feasible?

THIS IS FOR NEXT SEASON

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    • Like x 11
    • Dislike x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  2. Supple Taste

Supple Taste Truly just the songbird of our generation.

Ratings:
    +1,995 / 300 / -474
    As I have said before, to acheive the most competitive experience for all players, what needs to happen is for selection to be based on a formula that creates an equal distance between all players.

If every player is 1000km from a server than thats the server that should be used because that would create the best competitive experience.

The system in place caters to East players. I am an east player so I am not being biased.

If theirs 8 East players and 4 West players why wouldnt we play on the central server? Why do we force the West players to play on the North East server when we could easily have a much more fair experience playing on the central server where everyone has an equal ping?

We need equal distance, not average lowest distance.

• Like x 40
    • Winner x 11
    • Dislike x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Kilokahn__

Kilokahn__ Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    West people will vote yes, east will vote no. And because of that it'll get voted down.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +11,633 / 104 / -778
    This is for next season

• Like Like x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  5. BigDogLacrosse

BigDogLacrosse Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 79 / -284
    I like it Brodie

No Streaming Account
  6. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +2,610 / 122 / -149
    I'll preface this by saying that I've yet to play on the Dallas server, so I have no idea what the connection is like playing on it.

If the Dallas server is anything similar to the Ohio server, then it's probably a bad idea to overuse it (I know so many people with closer distances to the central server than either of the East servers, yet they consistenly ping worse on Central).

It sucks for the West players, but until the number of West Coast users comes remotely close to East Coast, then West Coast servers simply shouldn't be used for LG. Using West servers or even meeting in a middle ground at the Dallas server will give teams who stack West Coast players together the advantage regardless of who they're playing against. East guys will be accostumed to playing the vast majority of their games on Montreal or Virginia, and the odd game or so against a West line who gets to play 100% of their games on a certain server (likely Dallas) would be a big advantage for the West team.

I really don't know what the right solution is, maybe adding Dallas into the whole pre-game veto process would be somewhat helpful or removing the Quebec server would help since some people complain about all QC teams having the ping advantage?

Imo the current system seems to be working fine, but as an East Coast player, I'm probably biased since I get to play 99% of my games on an East server.

Have West Coast players been complaining a lot about the new server selection process? I really don't see this proposed format helping them out significantly because the odds of 9 players in a lobby being closest to a West server is practically none. This idea would only help the teams who stack a lot of West players together so that they can play on the same server every game, that nobody else would really be used to playing on.

• Dislike Dislike x 14
    • Like Like x 10
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    bossy_22_
  7. honesrule

honesrule What's an RT?

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -18
    TLDR: I don't like anything that has any possibility of ever having west players get an advantage or equal ground.

• Dumb Dumb x 14
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    honesrule
  8. honesrule

honesrule What's an RT?

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -18
    I think this would work best as for the most part is seems to be what people do using the veto anyways. If you see six qc players your gonna veto northeast and then play on east.

We could also adjust how the best server is selected by taking the average distance between all servers for an individual and having the best selection for each person be based on the server with the closest distance to that average. Do that for all 12 players and then select the server that all players are closest to that average distance to.

Using the example servers above say all 12 people ended up being around 1500 km away average from all servers the tool would then find the average distance for users from all the servers like it does currently and then select the one closest to that average which would be Montreal then Dallas then Ohio.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    honesrule
  9. ender554

ender554 I'm in Arizona right now

Ratings:
    +151 / 7 / -27
    If you are talking fairness it is pretty simple solution IMO.
    South Central is going to be the geographic median for all LG players. That means on average south central will be the most average distance and fairness. Set this as the default.
    Then
    Allow team managers to enter the selection tool to see if there is a better option they agree on.
    For instance, 6 of their guys ping east 5 ping central and one pings west, but the managers decide to just go with East. That should be totally fine. The manager is stating that he believes his West player will play fine on east.

Say you have a team of 3 west 3 east
    then another team of all northeast. Dallas should remain the default as it will give all roughly the same ping.

• Like Like x 8
    • Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    ender554
  10. l Cote x 15 l

l Cote x 15 l Banana League MVP

Ratings:
    +361 / 25 / -31
    To make it fair for west players this needs to happen, but east players will say no cause they like their advantage

• Like Like x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Pyrrho66

Pyrrho66 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -9
    As someone who just moved from Central(lived in Kansas) to West(Seattle), I would love for this to happen. Also, for those that haven’t played the new server, both East and west guys in our games had much better ping and way less spikes than when those same players played on the “central” server. Give it a try. I’ve never had 40 ping or less unless on the west server, it was game changing for me to have that for once.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. Regioon

Regioon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -1
    Yea I have played with some west guys who really do not have better ping on that server it's not a bad server for me at least but It does seem more even though and its a good though. Anyways I would veto it out every time. So yeah

• Informative Informative x 2
    No Streaming Account
  13. KyStew

KyStew KyStew#9254

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -1
    Premise is decent, improving logic for sure. I don't think server selection should depend on what % of players play LG, but onyl what % of players in the specific game (and this seems to start to move towards that) - and no it doesn't matter if East players aren't used to it... I had 4 ping before, this is how most professional e-sport entities operate is by finding even ground, not by population.

I concur with others in that the South Central server is likely the better all around option for a status quo starting point. Yes it will hurt NE and NW players a bit in that they won't get 10 ping. Regular central server has always had issues, and for the northern half of West players, is actually the worst server (i.e. North West players typically get better ping on NA NE than NA E, and better NA E than NA C depending how North we are (i.e. Canada).

While I don't know for sure, what would be interesting would be to see what players who typically register as Central server by the tool would get ping wise when comparing South Central vs. East/North East. For example, if they are "really" central USA, I imagine South Central is preferred (or close to) NA NE and NA E ping wise.

* Therefore, perhaps 6+ players in NA W or NA NW or "NA C or NA SC" = Game played on NA SC (as opposed to simply Portland/San Jose people). Rationale for this is that this server doesn't really benefit any West players dramatically (Pacific North West I get 50ish ping there... so better than 80-90 on Central/East, but not 10 ping...). There might need to be some fine tuning (i.e. for the NA C players who are really geographically East), but perhaps the tool could be adjusted to incorporate such.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account
  14. GrizGoal

GrizGoal Xbox AHL Commissioner l Esports Commentary l

Discord:
    Griz#1745
    Ratings:
    +515 / 22 / -34
    The main issue with this is that we cannot use distance alone as the deciding factor. Look at the central ohio server for example. There are so many people that live on top of that server yet prefer to play on the QC server. Distance from server and ping do not always go hand in hand.

The Canadian west/vancouver west players I have tested out the south central server with still prefer QC or Ohio central. I'm sure there are a few that disagree, but in my experience only the Socal players get a significantly lower/noticable ping.

We need to continually ask players what their preferred server is and keep that data. With the people I tested the server with, the south central server does not benefit many people except for SoCal players. I think this conversation is a step in the right direction to ensure that the game is truly competitive and not determined by a ping advantage, but again distance to server alone should not be the only factor here.

Niether the ohio central or southern central is a one size fits all solution in terms of fairness. I think another layer to this would adding a "vote" option to the server selection tool. Having a vote option would allow players scheduled for that game to vote on the server they want to play on. If 75% of the players VOTE to use the south central server, then they would use it. This takes out location as the sole determining factor and let's people vote to play on a server they get the best connection to.

My reason for having a vote is that if you have a lobby of 6 QCs and 6 Vancouver west players where the overwhelming majority would pick QC server, they should not have to default to the southern central server. Again this is not a one size fits all, but allowing a lobby vote in the server selection tool I think would be very beneficial.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Grizgoal
  15. Mystical-Rino

Mystical-Rino Office "Tough Guy"

Ratings:
    +83 / 2 / -10
    My thoughts are to let the game decide the best server to play on. All this server selection business is extra management BS to deal with and a headache. You don't like it? Go play Little Big Planet.

• Like Like x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    michaelbmarino
  16. Eamonn

Eamonn Well-Known Member

Discord:
    eamonn#0602
    Ratings:
    +814 / 10 / -41
    I can't speak for Cali players but every single northwestern (BC, AB, WA) player I know gets better ping to the QC server than the Central server, by a significant amount too (10-20ms).

• Like Like x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    eamonnjcf
  17. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +2,610 / 122 / -149
    Exactly, your closest server might not be your best or preferred server. It should be simple enough to put a preferred server option into the signups or somewhere on your profile to pool the data together for everyone.

Simply assign each server a number (1- VA, 2- QC, 3- OH, 4- TX, 5- PO, 6- SJ). Add the numbers together for the 12 players in the game, then divide by 12. If it lands on an even number, then that's the assigned server. If it lands between two numbers then the home team can have the "home ice advantage" and chose one of the servers that it's between.

I don't dislike your voting idea, and the league would probably love it because it would likely bring more site traffic... But it would be redundant if a system like this could be implemented, not to mention a tedious task and added aggravation for managers who will constantly have to tell players to vote on servers for each game (most players don't even sign up for games on the site lol).

• Like Like x 2
    bossy_22_
  18. GrizGoal

GrizGoal Xbox AHL Commissioner l Esports Commentary l

Discord:
    Griz#1745
    Ratings:
    +515 / 22 / -34

Grizgoal
  19. CabRelix

CabRelix Well-Known Member

Discord:
    CabRelix G#2772
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1
    If 70% are east, they are just going to vote this down. Arguing that Central doesn't really work for west players, is ignoring the fact that either East connection is still 40 to 50 ms lower than any connection a player from the west can get to the East servers. I ping 50 to 70 ms depending on which east server. The idea is not to get west players down to 10 ms like most Montreal and Virginia players, but to move East players up to the 50 to 60 ms that west players get as a best connection. I would rather have the east guys pinging up in the 50s , while I get 70 ms , it will still be more of a fair connection than anything we play on the east. When guys just appear in front of you, because they are at 5 ms and you are at 70 ms, it doesn't seem to be the same game.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    No Streaming Account
  20. LetherB_Carnage

LetherB_Carnage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 20 / -36
    Ya dunno all I know is west players always have to play east server so far never seen east players have to play west yet I personally think their shouldn’t be a choice best server should be givin by best distance to accommodate all party’s not just the east side

• Like Like x 5
    letherb_carnage97