Consolation Rounds...

Discussion in 'LG World Tour' started by Babolat, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Babolat

Babolat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Consolation Rounds..

I was thinking about adding consolation rounds to our Top Spin Tournaments. This is where if you lose in the first round, you will be able to play in a losers bracket for a fraction of the points you would normally get in the main draw. Lets say if you get into the third round of the main draw, you would get 15 points. But if you get in the third round of the consolation draw, you would get 3 or 5 points. This is what we do for junior tournaments so everyone gets at least 2 matches in. Its tough for some to drive across the whole state to play in one match then go home. And it would be fair for those that have a low ranking and play someone with a very high ranking and lose in that first round everytime.

Let me know what you think.

No Streaming Account
  2. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i like the idea. that way i get to lose twice per tourney!

No Streaming Account
  3. Tennis Playa

Tennis Playa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's a great idea. I plan on being in a few other leagues, so I don't even know if I would want a consolation round. It's a good idea, but I don't think it's necessary.

No Streaming Account
  4. Babolat

Babolat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the consolation wont be required to play. If you want to miss out on the points, thats your choice, just like in real life. In tennis, its a one on one sport. There are no substitutions, or time-outs, or any type of back-up or help. A ton of times people with-draw from main draw (and consolation) rounds because they are hurt, or too tired, ect. So not playing isn't as severe as lets say a whole entire football team not showing up because they don't have a line up like football players with 2nd and 3rd strings. The opponent just gets a walk over (win), and thats it.

Besides, this will show us who really wants to play. If someone withdraws from the consolation, that just shows us what that players attitude will be with this league.

If you are playing in any other leagues, I will probably let you withdraw from this one and let you play in leagues else where.

You are saying thats its a bad idea to have consolation, but you have to remember consolation is going on at the same time as the main draw. Which means that if you dont have time for the consolation from other touneys and leagues, then you wouldn't have that time if you did win in the main draw. So I should probably take you off the list.

No Streaming Account
  5. Matchstick

Matchstick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you've hit the right note, Babolat. Personally, if I participate in the league and don't do well, I don't think it will be much fun to sit out after a single game week in and week out. If you're in, then you're in and the league should be set up for the folks who want to fully participate without special regard to making it easy for people to split their time with other TS leagues. How much of an imposition can it really be to play a few more games, anyway? If you're co-ordinating between the 2 players to find 1 hour sometime during the week, that doesn't seem like much to ask. Plus, if we're going to have doubles and Davis Cup things going on at the same time, there's going to be more than enough high quality tennis action happening right here. Why go elsewhere? :p

No Streaming Account
  6. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with what you both said, and hope that everyone is interested enough in the league to want to get those consolation points. I for one love the idea, seeing as I will likely be in those Conso's most of the time :p

No Streaming Account