First Week and Looking Forward

Discussion in 'E-Sports Hockey League' started by NugeTV, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -193
    We're a little over a week into this first tournament, and despite a few minor bumps in the road it has been an enjoyable experience so far. The basic rules regarding this tournament are not going to change, but if there are things that you feel future tournaments could benefit from please post them here.

Things that have already been brought up:

The Points System:
    The current points system is implemented exactly as it was supposed to be implemented. Right now it appears to create a ladder that is too chaotic and fluid, partially due to the low number of games played thus far, but also partially because this ISNT the perfect system. In NHL there are far too many "upsets" and that causes a lot of shifts in the standings every night. For the current tournament it isnt going to change, it will still yield reasonable seedings for the playoff, but Im taking suggestions on how to possibly improve it for the future.

Roster Changes:

Some people are having issues removing players who are inactive from their rosters because they wont respond. I require a message to remove someone because it locks them out of the tournament if they get removed, and they contributed $10. For those trying to remove inactive players who wont respond, a new-ish rule is being added. Basically if you want to remove someone, I'll message them explaining whats happening and if they dont respond within 72 hours they'll be removed. You still only get one roster change, and if the player is active they still cannot be forced off the team, but this at least prevents issues where someone just completely disappears off the face of the earth.

My current plan for the next tournament, and NHL15 are as follows:
    First and foremost: Roster size increases to 9 or 10. Summer season = Less Availability. I also think 9 or 10 would be a better number going forward into NHL15. In my mind right now 10 makes the most sense and that number would likely be carried forward into NHL15.
    Tournament #1 Finishes at the end of May
    • June 18th Tournament #2 Roster Deadline
    • June 20th Tournament #2 Payment Deadline***
    • June 22nd Tournament #2 Start
    • August 8th Tournament #2 Reg Season End
    • Playoffs take place during the rest of August.

***If possible I would like to add the ability for teams to buy in mid-season, and add some rules that allow roster moves of a player from 1 team to another to prepare for my plan for NHL15.

NHL15 Plan
    • Set up a ladder spanning from OCTOBER until MAY
    • That seasonal leaderboard will produce the top 16 that will partake in the final end of year playoffs
    • Throughout the year there will be smaller tournaments in addition to the full year ladder. These smaller tournaments will utilize the ladder to determine seeds/ranks/etc and the winners of these tournaments will either be given smaller prizes, or additional points for the full year ladder that could ultimately help them make the playoffs.
    • The side/small tournaments will have different formats all together, some might have a "world cup" style format, others might have an NCAAB style format (1 game, lose and you're out), etc. If sponsors eventually become a real thing these smaller tournaments could eventually have their own sponsor.

In order for a full year system to work, teams and players will need to be able to buy-in midseason, and there needs to be a way to allow roster moves, but not allow them to be abused. Im taking any and all suggestions on how to implement a way to allow these roster moves, and tournament #2 will be used to test as much of this stuff as possible.

This, after all, is a community run event so the community's voice will be listened to, so post and give us some ideas.

(Also [MENTION=6646]kpy86[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7358]ImJeff[/MENTION] will be helping out with stuff as needed with this tournament, please dont harass them with stuff, continue to harass me, I havent really gotten a chance to catch them up with anything yet so they'll need a few days before they can actually be harass-able)

2. Buddy Roberts

Buddy Roberts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 112 / -54
    I like it keep it up. #SaveClub

BuddyRoberts
  3. Scheckel29

Scheckel29 IslesGT

Discord:
    scheckel29#0
    Ratings:
    +910 / 7 / -11
    Comments in orange

Scheckel29
  4. NyS

NyS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 2 / -1
    Miracle Workers will be on the next tourney!

No Streaming Account
  5. Greb

Greb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +770 / 62 / -55
    What about players that were paid for by another member on the team?

NHLGrebby14
  6. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -193
    Unfortunately those have to be treated the same way as a player who paid themselves. That being said, I've sent him a message and I have yet to receive a response.

Be careful who you put on your team and who you pay for.

7. x MrLoops x

x MrLoops x #ForceThePass

Discord:
    MrLoops#3606
    Ratings:
    +696 / 20 / -19
    Instead of a point system next Tourny maybe we could just do mini series. Every team must play each other 5 times let's say throughout the entire tournament time. Wether you want to do 5 in one night vs the same team or 5 throughout the entire month is completely up to the teams. Just a thought.

Lupul_x_19
  8. Greb

Greb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +770 / 62 / -55
    I think this was mentioned in another thread, that would require teams to set up a schedule and make it more like the LGHL. The reason a lot of people like the tourney and why it will be successful IMO is not only because there's money involved, but you can hop on pretty much anytime and get a good game, without having to schedule your real life events around a video game schedule.

NHLGrebby14
  9. Raynor

Raynor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 10 / -12
    I don't like the October to May idea. There's already virtually zero club outside of this tournament now, couple that with LG and it just feels like you have to live for every game you play. I'm probably in the minority but I feel a January to May timetable would better than a year long.

No Streaming Account
  10. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -193
    I guess thats kind of the point, this would be the main way to play club. With 7 months or whatever to get games in you wouldnt need to LIVE for every game, and presumably there would be more than 17 teams if we made club more like this so it wouldnt be playing the same teams every night.

11. Raynor

Raynor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 10 / -12
    Well if you're paying money to play you should probably play the best you can every game.
    Maybe I just see it as wishful thinking that more than 18 teams would sign up and be active for an extended period of time, especially with the new consoles.

No Streaming Account
  12. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    I imagine a lot of people were hesitant to sign up because they wanted to see how everything worked out first. Hopefully you guys can continue to grow this as 15 drops.

No Streaming Account
  13. x SMP 7 x

x SMP 7 x Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,300 / 4 / -2
    January to May makes zero sense. The point of this tourney is to generate interest in club. If you make people wait four months to play competitively, a lot of people are going to lose interest. The only way to do a shorter timetable would be to go from October to January. But, even then, February and March are winter months where a lot of people play. October to May is the way it has to be.

No Streaming Account
  14. Raynor

Raynor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 10 / -12

1. Like anyone needs a $10 buy in tournament to generate interest in club in the first month of a new system.
    2. People might want to get used to the game before paying to play.
    3. People might want to see who the hell they would want to make a team with. Not everybody plays with the same players every year like us.
    4. If people start losing interest in club then what a perfect time to start a money tournament!

Don't really agree with much of your post at all FGT.

No Streaming Account
  15. Kpy86

Kpy86 Hi

Ratings:
    +539 / 7 / -23
    In my head, we would have splits. We could have between 2-4 splits (pending on what people would want) during which we would have playoffs at the end of each one to either give money, or to give out points in a ladder (1st place gets X amaount of point etc) and have at the end a tourney with those who accumulated the most points (doing this would require more like a 4 splits) and give out X to the winner, Y to the 2nd place, Z to the 3rd place, W to the 4th, etc. Also, ths would also mean if you change your team name middle split or in between, you'd keep your points, but just change the name of it. Buti f you change your whole team, youd have to start from scratch.

Now to buy in, I'm not sure how much money it would cost, but if we do 4 splits, I'd go with probably like 8$ per player per split. which would be again a 80$ per team. X4 per team is 320$ for a year per team and if we have 16 team that is roughly 5000$. Say LG keeps a little for himself (say 1k, which is not just a little but oh well). You could give a refund to all the teams that makes it to the quarters in the end of year playoff. (that counts, if you made only 2 split, you paid 160$, so you get 160 back). Then 160$ added to those in the semi-finals. 100$ more for the 3rd place, 250 for the 2nd place and 450 for the #1.

The issue I have with that is that if a player pays 32$ total, but his team only 240(, technically he would lose 8$ if they go into the quarters and lose. But we can find a way around it I'm sure.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    kipper86
  16. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    As far as the point system goes, implement a team level system like GB, it works perfectly. You should be given more points against higher ranked teams, but too many points are awarded.

No Streaming Account
  17. DTA Today

DTA Today am j0 buddin on nu jerzy

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2
    Not sure how I feel about the year-long ladder yet so I'll reserve judgement right now. The only thing I'll say is that starting it in October might be a bit early, as some people might not want to play on the same Club all year long, or they might be undecided as to who they want to play with. Also if there was only 1 or 2 roster subs, then a ton of people who wanted to join later (or weren't sure if they were going to play/who they were going to play with) would be left out as a lot of teams may have already used their substitution(s).

Also, I'm sure others have brought this idea up, but I think for future tournaments if the Owner does a Team Buyin and pays for everyone on his team, he should be allowed to remove players without them having to message Nuge or anyone in charge. If worst comes to worst his $10 will just stay in the prize pool and the owner can reimburse him his $10 if he sees fit.

No Streaming Account
  18. theFiGS42

theFiGS42 theFiGS42

Ratings:
    +636 / 6 / -11
    What about 2 ladders? October-April and May -August?

thefigs42
  19. x Bad At Life x

x Bad At Life x Nub

Ratings:
    +281 / 1 / -0
    What about a "Preseason" Tournament in September/October where the winning team gets entered in the normal ladder (Novemeber-May, in this case) for free? Teams get a chance to feel each other out and make changes to their lineups before committing to a year of the same people. Plus you have a decent incentive to take it serious/win. Just a thought from a scrub, though.

No Streaming Account