Flaw in the game!

Discussion in 'LG World Tour' started by Babolat, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babolat

Babolat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just played LordoftheNorth, which by the way was an awesome guy, good Top Spin player, and a great sport...and realized that this game is seriously flawed and I'm honestly thinking about making some LeagueGaming guidelines when playing.

We were playing the first set and it was a close battle which he won. Then in the second set, I decided to try this "slow" serve that everyone has been talking about and notice that when you hit a slow serve, the returner returns it even slower. And when you hit a fast serve, the returner hits hard, which is totally backwords. In real tennis, someone like Andy Roddick (World #1) who has a 149 MPH serve can blast serves all day and easily hold his serve from people having to return a weak, safe return or risk missing the shot from being too aggressive. But in this game, people that blast 135 MPH serves will get an aggressive slice return each time like it was a 80 MPH serve - BIG FLAW!

And what really topped the cake was when I was trying to find a way and doing those slow serves, that the game has a glitch where the returner hits it back slow. Maybe it was just North's man (the way he was built), but it doesn't work how it should. In real life, anything under 100 MPH gets blasted back, not "pushed" back like in this game. So we need to figure out a solution for this, like no more hitting weak serves, and only going for risk serves like in real life.

Need your thoughts!

No Streaming Account
  2. squidman711

squidman711 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they only return it back slow when you scoot up to the service line

No Streaming Account
  3. burlingtns best

burlingtns best Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good game

Hey good game Babolat. I really thought i was gonna pull an upset after that 1st set taking it 6 to 4. Great battle and i loved the fact that we played some hardcore legit tennis in the first set. I mean i can't really blame you for using the glitch serve after that considering i guess it isn't illegal. Anyway my thought on the whole thing is is that i refuse to do this serve against my opponent even if i need to do it to get back in the game as Babolat will attest to. The reason i bought this game was for some hardcore rallies and excitement against other online players. To me a 2 or 3 hit rally everytime when using this glitch serve isn't what i bought the game for. I think that an honest attempt should be made to get as much power on your serve as possible...i mean i understand that there are times when you want to throw your opponet off balance and change speeds but floating a serve over the net just to have a slower return is downright wrong. I think that a league or tournament should be set up as well where players that want to play the way it was supposed to be played without using the glitches they should be able to do so. If you want a slow serve then just pressing the button once will allow a slower serve without you quickly double tapping....anything less should be disallowed. Once again...i don't blame Babalot for having to resort to this as players should learn how to adjust to win however i just wish it could be done in a more authentic manner rather then faulty programming. Good game anyway Babolat....lets play again sometime where we just play full out as we did in the first set. Great Sport, great guy, good drinking buddy!!!

No Streaming Account
  4. burlingtns best

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    makeup

By the way my guy has 3 stars on serve, 4 on backhand and forehand and 3 on volley, my skills are return of serve (go figure...lol) passing shot, angle and topspin. I don't think the makeup of a player has anything to do with the return of the glitch serve but if it does please let me know so i can make the appropriate changes if need be. Maybe creeping up to the service line does make for a soft return but that is the way you are supposed to play slow shots...in an aggressive manner...but when they ball comes off your raquet it certainly doesn't come off that way. If you play back then by the time your guy hits the ball the other player is at the net and you have a 50 50 chance of guessing the right side. Anyway i am sure there is a way to combat any glitch but i would rather spend my time online playing hardfought battles then figuring out ways to get around cheats or glitches. Anyone else with me on this one and maybe be interested in playing a tourney where these shots are completely abolished so players with true skill may shine???

No Streaming Account
  5. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: good game

I agree. I think if you want to do a slow serve, you should do a spoon serve. I don't do those weak serves like that either and I also like to play as if it is "real life". You won't see me making a weak serve and rushing the net. If I do happen to make a weak serve, I won't rush the net. They should have programmed it so if you did a really weak serve, it would go in the net.

I will go along with whatever is decided concerning this matter.

6. burlingtns best

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    add me

Add me to your list marauder...lordofthenorth. I think you and i have the makings for some great games. I wish all the players shared our attitudes. It's not like you get a million dollars for winning these tourneys...it's for fun and bragging rights. Bragging about how i manipulated a game to beat people isn't something to proud of so that's why i feel a "real" game of tennis should always be played.

No Streaming Account
  7. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: add me

Will do man. 8)

8. CrazyCougar

CrazyCougar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know nothing about the "real" game of tennis, nor do I care to learn...LOL.. I just enjoy playing the VIDEO game against my opponents. And I think thats my main point, its a video game. It wont ever be true lifelike in any game they make.

I am not sure what this slow serve thing is, but I know I have served some slower servers to try to break the rhytmn. I guess maybe I am wrong for doing that i dunno. But heck in real life is i tried to serve that dang ball, i'd have to hit it slow and underhand anyhow to get it over the net! LOL!

Maybe I am just naive, but I havent had anyone use a glitch against me yet, and if they did I am clueless to it...LOL! Just my opinion.

No Streaming Account
  9. KineticZ

KineticZ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    um ppl have used that slow serve against me and like squid said, there are plenty of ways to not hit it back slow, u just have to figure it out.

No Streaming Account
  10. burlingtns best

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    slowserve

I don't care if there is a way around any glitch or cheat serve. I just don't want to play games or play that way against my opponent. To me that's just not an enjoyable experience. I want to beat a guy because i am a better player not because they guy i play against hasn't come up with the newest way to beat my cheat serve.

No Streaming Account
  11. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    i've been pushing for a "gentlemen's" ban on the slow serve, As i think everyone can agree too, no one wants to get in a match where it's who can beat that serve. I know for all my games i play, you won't see that serve from me, and i don't expect to see it from you.

12. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Flaw in the game

That's not a "bug" "glitch" or "flaw". It's just the way that the game was designed (arcade, geared towards mass appeal).

Let's face it. If the game played like "real" tennis, it would get boring VERY quick and noone would buy the game.

They made the game this way with it's various quirks to provide for a more entertaining experience for the video gamer. If you couldn't return a huge serve with a little something on it, then it would be FAR too easy to hold your own serve.

Let's stop trying to make the game something that it's not (sim tennis) and enjoy it for what it is (an arcade video game).

No Streaming Account
  13. Master G 2003

Master G 2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Serving a slow return on a slow serve is physics man. If you throw a ball into a wall slowly it will come back that way or fast = fast. I love it when the people try to use the really slow "glitch serve"& I use a risk shot down the line or a top spin cross court :D. Changing the rules because someone gets back a very slow (glitch serve) is pretty lame don't you think???
    :wink:

Edit: I also prefer a real game & not a slow :glitch" serve & run the net two hit point. Hmm will he get it back or wont he??? Yep FUN :shock:

No Streaming Account
  14. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As for the "slow" serve, I don't think that agentleman's agreement will work (just like we didn't attempt to ban the swoop in NHL2k3).

The 1st day I had the game, I saw that net play would be very important online and I didn't put 12hrs into building a net savvy character to attempt to play on the baseline and get run around the court. I don't slow serve every time, only about a quarter of the time (including some spoon serves) to keep my opponent off balance, partially for the reason that Babolat pointed out above where it's far too easy to agressively return a high powered serve.

No Streaming Account
  15. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes. It's returnable, even for as a winner on occasion. There's no way to police this, and IMO it's futile to think that you can instruct people not to play a certain way after they've built characters to take advantage of the way that the game was intended and programmed by the developers.

No Streaming Account
  16. Master G 2003

Master G 2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry u may have gotten me wrong. Go ahead & give me the slow serve. I think its lame & cheap but to each his own. I enjoy giving it back with some top spin cross court or with a risk shot down the line (that ball is asking for it :D )

I was responding to this edited quote.

With this

"]

No Streaming Account
  17. burlingtns best

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    slowserve

I just think that if you need the slow serve to win then maybe tennis isn't your game. Find another game to manimpulate and leave this great one alone.

No Streaming Account
  18. RE1GN

RE1GN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is easy to hit back with something on it. I think a lot of people forget about the safe shot as a return, but it works well against the slow serve and is the most powerful shot against it(besides the risk if done right, but without the danger of not timing it right). I mix baseline safe (A) shots with crosscourt topspin (B) to defend the slow serve.

Oh yeah there is a new serve that is just as tough to defend. It's a mid to high powered topspin serve right at you and it almost bounces over you. There are going to be new little ways to exploit everyones weaknesses, but we just need to find ways to defend them.

No Streaming Account
  19. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When people hit those slow serves at me, my guy whallops them! When people use the slice shot over and over, that's what makes your guy hit slow shots or least my guy anyway.

And furthermore, I am against banning them altogether. Yes I am totally against using them every time. But I like to throw them in there as well. My guy only has a 1 star serve and I have to mix up the serve's to have a chance at winning my service games. I don't think I should be penalized for using a slow serve here and there to mix it up against an opponant. I like to use all types of serves and move them around and change the speed constantly, and I don't think I should be penalized for that. To be honest I have a hard time getting good power on the non risk serve's, I can never get it full power, and a lot of times I try to get it full and it ends up coming back down half way.

No Streaming Account
  20. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, you just have to figure out how to beat them. No shot done over and over is unbeatable, and I think people need to realize that just because they need to work at figuring out how to beat someone doesn't mean the other person is cheating. Personally I like the challenges.

No Streaming Account
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.