FNP first night impressions

Discussion in 'LG Friday Night Puck' started by Grebinator, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Greb

Greb The Flyin Hawaiians #44

Ratings:
    +768 / 62 / -55
    I was pleasantly surprised with how fun this was. It ran smoothly and was a blast to play in. There's two things however I think if changed would make this even better.

1. Start the draft earlier, or shorten the pick times. The draft went a little long.

2. No positions. Just signup as a player and don't have us select a position. That way we don't have to deal with position lock and such if someone can't make a later game. If this isn't doable, just continue with no position lock.

Overall this was a great experience and very fun. Thanks for taking this on @Brisan66 you did a great job.

• Like Like x 6
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    NHLGrebby14
  2. AGally l94l

AGally l94l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 16 / -5
    1. The draft personally went later for me due to the actual website and its servers. Many times my screen would just bug when it was my pick, it would hesitate before even letting me select a player to pick, and when I would select the player it would do a slight "refresh" and I would have to re-select him. I'm sure @Tris10 could work on this.

2. Position lock is there to avoid players signing up as a goalie, telling every other team they are playing goalie then when their buddy drafts them, they play their familiar position.

Some ajustements I would make is -

1. Roster Size of 7 players, and random assign those who were not selected.
    2. Have a Division 1 and Division 2, as many CHL guys were completely left out.

Overall, @Brisan66 had a wonderful idea, the demand to play in Friday night puck was incredible for its first week. Many people were not even aware of it and it should grow in the coming weeks!

Thanks for allowing me to be a captain!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Brisan x6

Brisan x6 LG FIFA Director of Operations

Discord:
    Brisanx6#0352
    Ratings:
    +4,759 / 131 / -198
    I'm thinking of going to 8 man teams, which would shorten the draft.

Randomi Assignment may be tough, especially I don't want to see a team get unlucky and get a group of guys that don't play and they have nobody. Allowing people to select from the list guarantees that they can pick someone that is going to play.

Position lock is tough. Though its for fun, some people would exploit this as Gally just stated. It also protects guys that want to play a different position for the night.

@AGally l94l you said you had issues, did you try doing the preset draft? This way you wouldn't hold it up and it'd auto pick what was available from your list. Unless you're not into doing that. Lol

brisanx6
  4. AGally l94l

Ratings:
    +87 / 16 / -5
    No I did not use the preset draft as I simply did not have the time to arrange it the way I would like, and after I chose my first overall I wanted his input on who I should pick.

I would say from the time I noticed the team before me had made their pick to the time that my screen would change from "pre pick player" to "select your player" was at least one minute, and often times I refreshed the website as a whole because it was just bugging.

No Streaming Account
  5. Greb

Greb The Flyin Hawaiians #44

Ratings:
    +768 / 62 / -55
    If we don't have people pick a position then there is no exploiting it. Another option would be to have people sign up as a position, and they would have to play at least one game at that position. That way it protects the player if they want to play that position, and then can play any position. That would also protect the team if people have to get off and can't play the entire night.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    NHLGrebby14
  6. Patriot9

Patriot9 Active Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 3 / -23
    Why not consider an NHL an AHL separate leagues? If response is higher then expand. I was left out but I understand there are growing pains, but this one night tourney style is a neat idea!

No Streaming Account
  7. Gala

Gala Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 401 / -393
    I would like to start off by saying hats off to you @Brisan66, I think you did an amazing job putting this all together. And always, thanks @Tris10 for your support as well. The pre-pick drafting system was on point.

Here is my feedback:

1. The draft time was fine. 75 minutes for the draft wasn't so bad. Maybe shorten the timer to 90 seconds, but the draft should definitely start at 8pm.

2. Position Locks are a must. @AGally l94l is 100% correct. If someone signs up as Goalie, they can only play goalie.

3. I like the idea of 8 player teams, but maybe add 4 more teams?

4. The 1 game elimination in the first round is silly, especially if captains that put work in to the draft, pick their team and don't even get to play 1 game. Same goes for the people that sign up for the league. Maybe change it to a round-robin like structure. The first round, every team plays the same team twice. To determine the winner if both teams wins 1-1, then a new game is played in an overtime format, where the next goal wins, and the winning team advances. The second round should be a 1 game elimination, including the finals.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  8. cnumartyr85

cnumartyr85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 2 / -8
    Either do every round as a home and home with the total score being used, or keep single Elim.

• Useful Useful x 2
    cnumartyr
  9. ScaryJoeyy

ScaryJoeyy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 49 / -37
    keep the 1 game elimination if we do a three game elimination the whole thing would take too long

ScaryJoeyy
  10. AGally l94l

Ratings:
    +87 / 16 / -5
    Keep in mind the tournament took till 1am last night to complete, and it was single elimination. Adding games is asking for an even bigger commitment. It should be a quick fun tournament, its not to be taken too seriously in the sense that you have to play a best of 3 to ensure the best team wins.

No Streaming Account
  11. Brisan x6

Discord:
    Brisanx6#0352
    Ratings:
    +4,759 / 131 / -198

Wasn't the final three games?

brisanx6
  12. AGally l94l

Ratings:
    +87 / 16 / -5
    Yes Brisan, some were suggesting to make every round three games.

That would be way too long.

No Streaming Account
  13. Brisan x6

Discord:
    Brisanx6#0352
    Ratings:
    +4,759 / 131 / -198

Only one time can it be three games. Either first or final round. Both sides make good points.

brisanx6
  14. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    Tris10#6962
    Ratings:
    +16,589 / 83 / -146
    the draft page was set to auto refresh everything 60 seconds, so thats what happened there, it refreshed while you were making your selection

15. Kehvvin

Kehvvin ^_^

Ratings:
    +639 / 14 / -12
    start draft earlier
    6 players per team
    Home/home- combined score

Or why not just turn this into a club kinda thing? This way guys will play with their friends and we won't have to go through a draft

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. pistol989

pistol989 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 3 / -11
    I think the first night was a success. I kinda like the one game elimination because it's all or nothing each game. However, to include more people in the games, if the first round was a best of 3, everyone would get at least a game. Then after that it's best of 1 throughout the rest of the tournament. If the league expands to include more teams I think that the roster side would need to be smaller as well. And every game would need to be best of 1 so the tournament doesn't run until 1 am or later. (Even thought I'm sure the people who were playing at 1 am were probably excited to be in the championship and didn't mind the time too much.)

I also like shortening the roster. I think if the roster was shortened to 7 or 8, a team (maybe the captain) can be designated to play any position to allow for people who don't show up or aren't available. This way there is some leniency to allow for people to play a position they didn't sign up for and relieve some stress for managers trying to find a RW or LD. I think @Brisan66 will be able to make some adjustments that will only benefit this league. After the first night, it would say it's a success!

• Like Like x 1
    Pistolpeteyo
  17. Beaten Ginger

Beaten Ginger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 76 / -41
    I think if we get enough sign ups have 2 tiers of it. Tier 1 NHL only, tier 2 a mix of AHL and CHL. There was one chl went up against a NHL team (I was on chl team). Got dominated but only lost 2-1 in OT

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    Stealthyxb0mb3r_
  18. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +725 / 12 / -13
    If we're keeping the rosters at 10, I like the best of 3 for round 1. This way at least everyone who gets drafted gets a game.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. l KC97 l

l KC97 l Gahbage

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -2
    The idea of this is to get a mix of the 3 leagues and playing better people should encourage you to get better

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  20. x Bad At Life x

x Bad At Life x Nub

Ratings:
    +281 / 1 / -0
    Would it make sense for the losers of round 1 to get at least one consolation game (loser of Game 1 plays loser of Game 2, for example)?

Technically there's nothing stopping teams from already doing this and scheduling additional games against other teams who have been eliminated on their own. That being said, I'm not sure that players will want to play additional games after being eliminated.

• Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account