Forfeits

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Shad9w, Jun 21, 2012.

1. weenus

weenus Derptown

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    It goes without saying that Chicago did a great job drafting not only good players, but reliable players. Quite a few Owners and GMs in the league don't currently have that benefit, as we've inherited the drafts or trades of people before we had stepped up to do the job.

No Streaming Account
  2. Williams x12x

Williams x12x #WillyAfterDark

Discord:
    Williams x12x#8346
    Ratings:
    +730 / 15 / -22
    Giving a team 2 pts for a forfeit is, in my opinion, ridiculous. I hear teams ALL the time say "3 minutes and you forfeit"....just banking on a free win. Congratulations, you spent 15 minutes in a lobby for a "win"....you earned it!

My Thoughts/ideas: (I'll number these for quick reference)

#1. extend the games played amount to 6 with a stipulation of: the first 4 games ONLY count towards stats. After that, points towards that skater do not count towards overall point totals. You're only allowed to play passed 4 games to avoid a forfeit.

#2. Team winning the Forfeit earns 1 point, team that forfeits loses 1 point.

#3. Fridays, Saturdays to be designated for "make-up games" as more people are usually on during the weekends than during the weekdays. Failure to attempt to play the games Friday/Saturday results in #2 being awarded to the original team that would have got the forfeit win.

#4. Separate record columns for forfeit wins that could also aide in the scenario of tie breakers in the standings.
    Example: Minnesota Wild: 48-16-4-3(forfeit wins)=103 points
    San Jose Sharks: 48-16-3-4(forfeit wins)=103 points
    Minnesota gets higher seed due to less forfeit wins.

I lost my overall thought on this so I give up!

Moral of the story: FORFEITS ARE WHACK!!! SHOW UP FOR YOUR DAMN GAMES!!!

Reposted because it prematurely ejacu-posted.

@ Meeble: How and why would a team trade Inactive players to get Active players, the problem would still exist, just on another team.

@ The whole situation in general: Everyone is losing focus that this league isn't as "popular" as it used to be. Once it takes off again and there is AHL, 90% of all these forfeit wins/losses won't be a factor.

Williamsx12x
  3. Serpe x 13

Serpe x 13 Washed Up Center

Ratings:
    +1,290 / 165 / -333
    :facepalm:

Serpe_x_13x
  4. ClarkesKids

ClarkesKids #6 LD/RD - Clarke

Discord:
    ClarkesKids#7109
    Ratings:
    +433 / 0 / -2
    The only issue I see with 1 point for a forfeit win is that the team that is ready and has 6 guys is being punished, how you can take points away from them for that is beyond me. Also heaven forbid the last playoff spot is up for grabs and a team needs 2 points to get in and the team they are playing forfeits and they get jacked out of a playoff spot.

You simply cannot cater to people who don't show up, if they don't show up but get another chance to re-schedule, the odds of them showing up again is slim and now the team that was prepared and ready has to accommodate these players/teams and tie up even more of their time.

Forfeits exist as a means of control, the taking of a forfeit 15mins after and counting it down is fukn insane and idiotic, just communicate, contact players, get guys online and if you cant, well no need to inconvenience the other team that has their shit together, take the loss, release players, ban no shows and gain commitment from your players.

All in all, rescheduling is fine if both agree, but why a team with 6 guys waiting for 20-30mins and not being communicated with have to bow down to benefit players and teams that cant do their job is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    No Streaming Account
  5. DK Don Cherry

DK Don Cherry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ^ +10

dk_doncherry
  6. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Seriously... What's everyone's obsession with punishing People that show?

No Streaming Account
  7. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We should be talking about the people that bail on their team. This is nuts and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

No Streaming Account
  8. dispiggy8donuts

dispiggy8donuts oink oink bitches

Discord:
    dispiggy8donuts#9244
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ok my thoughts go like this...the random assignments should mostly go to new jersey.. ozzy or cromags or calezar if meeble approves should be traded or whatever to new jersey you have kept your team together so lets do it for another team..i feel if you care about the league you would do this.have the games start at 845 bc by the time everyone gets their 6 in it will be 9 or 10 and then people wont be bitching about the 15 minute rule. another thing if you have dealt with or know of any problem players DO NOT allow them back the league. ya i have talked a little shit in the chat box but here lately jesus christ... if i was a new recruit and i saw that i would say damn there is to much drama in here.. i also think that you should be able to bring in as many recruited skaters and goalies as you want..who is gonna complain about bringing in better talent at all positions...last but not least...smaller rosters..in moose they have 8 players plus a cpt. six skaters and 2 subs so if your trying to imply the salary cap and all that maybe this is something to look into you will have more teams and players...

No Streaming Account
  9. Williams x12x

Discord:
    Williams x12x#8346
    Ratings:
    +730 / 15 / -22
    How is it punishing a team that shows up? Youre still getting 1 point. Giving a team 2 pts is stupid. 1 point is better than 0 pts after u end up losing. This is what i dont get...one mention of taking away 1 point for a forfeit win and u guys all get upset.

Williamsx12x
  10. worm42x10

worm42x10 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    you can't say the first 4 games only count for your stats and you can play 6 games. what would keep you from running your top like 6 games a week? and taking the wins by doing that is even worse then taking forfeit wins. people in the VHL input false info in league daddy, that is why i left the league. they have their top players play 2 extra games a week, and input their stats into another player to make them look legit. we can't have 6 players play 90% of the games. then owners will try to recruit inactive players, or trade for inactive players. also with remakes in Friday/sat. a lot of people go out Friday nights. i personally work overnight. so any game you don't show up to...my team would have to forfeit on Friday/Saturday because you guys didn't have enough when you were supposed to. you can't make everyone in the league take Friday and sat off of real life, in case someone doesn't have the respect for the league and players to show up when they are scheduled. now if both owners talk to each other before sunday morning and say we can't do tues at 9pm, can we do 11pm or move it to Friday/sat that is different. i can always play games at 11pm myself (on tues/wed) and if known about it ahead of time wouldn't mind doing it. but you can't make us keep Friday and sat open just for make up games. last note why would you punish a team for showing up on time. 1 point for a forfeit win and and -1 for a loss. that is just dumb IMHO. at the end of the season a basement team could say we hate PHX, so instead of giving them 2 points lets just not show up because we are in last anyway. we don't want them to catch up and possibly take a number 1 seed.

No Streaming Account
  11. worm42x10

worm42x10 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    just read one more post. this is not a club league. we can't have teams bring in all their friends to play with them. what if something happens and the owner steps down, all his friends leave with him and the team just lost 6 guys. if you want to play with your friends all the time that is fine EASHL. this league is about playing with and meeting new people. when i joined this league a long time ago i didn't join it to play clubs with my friends. it wouldn't be fair to teams who have full rosters of active player and nice guys who aren't as skilled if some teams can just go pick the best players to play for them. hince the random assignments. also i have been an owner of an AHL team here before. and i got lucky to have a great NHL owner. but most of the times pulling people for AHL games at the last minute to fill in for NHL is a joke IMHO. then the AHL forfeits anyway. before we even think about AHL, we need to get a solid NHL game going with reliable players. most people here just don't care. they are in multiple leagues and could give a crap about this league because if they don't get their way they will just quit anyway.

No Streaming Account
  12. Williams x12x

Discord:
    Williams x12x#8346
    Ratings:
    +730 / 15 / -22
    ^not even responding to that novel since you failed to read the entire post on the fri/sat subject. When does your book hit the shelves?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Williamsx12x
  13. atomicstorm13

atomicstorm13 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 4 / -3
    It's not you. This is the new norm... make something that is fairly simple to understand... add some regulation or rules to it that is unnecessary to make it more complex and turn it into a clusterfuck. I call it congressing it up.

No Streaming Account
  14. PHILLY BBALL

PHILLY BBALL Coyotes #13

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it our fault that other teams don't show and we do. Oh okay.

No Streaming Account
  15. Williams x12x

Discord:
    Williams x12x#8346
    Ratings:
    +730 / 15 / -22
    I got it! You guys want to ban or suspend the people not showing up. Great idea! Thatll fix the lack of available players on a team.

Williamsx12x
  16. JustChillin922

JustChillin922 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, waiting til 9:30 to play a game goes against some people's schedules. People have other things that they have to do.

No Streaming Account
  17. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    lol you say that like it's fucking crazy to actually discipline people that are causing the issue. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Streaming Account
  18. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    I feel like the focus is being put on the wrong aspect here. Instead of worrying about how to better deal with forfeit wins we should be addressing why people aren't showing up.

No Streaming Account
  19. Ozzyng2

Ozzyng2 Ignore the man behind the curtain

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 12 / -71
    None of these ideas work in a league and cause more issues or "situations" then they solve. Teams looking for "easy" points should be ashamed but also the other teams/players need to be considerate of the other 11 player's personal time. Sure, people have committed to playing in the league by signing up but they shouldn't be forced to spend their whole night for those who show up when they feel like it.

I blame most of it on owner/player relations. I think most owners don't want to "baby sit" their players and stay in constant communications with players. If a player doesn't show up for a game its like "screw you, you lost your chance & I'm not changing the lines". When I have a player who doesn't show up, I get someone else, get the game played and then message the player who missed the game asking if they can play another game I put them in to make up the game they missed. This keeps an active flow of available "player games", keeping people from maxing out for the week. Owners also being too worried about "set lines", these are just as bad as the easy point seekers (grabbing a quick forfeit).

Bottom line is that owners need to care enough about the responsibility to the team and league that they volunteered for to put an extra effort in at times. Communicating your situation to the other team and finding something that works. Be considerate to the other team/players that if you don't have a solution to just move on. The tricky thing here is that some have sincerely tried and needed the extra time while some are just gun happy to get the win and finish the league setting for the night. Do whats right, get the game played IF possible but don't make a team wait 15 or 20 minutes if you don't know if anyone is going to pop online.

20. weenus

weenus Derptown

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes you just can't get ahold of people though. If they aren't posting in contact info threads, they're not giving you anything other than Xbox live to talk to them on and they don't reply to messages, what are your options about improving the relations?

No Streaming Account