GRID Demo on Marketplace and PSN!

Discussion in 'Xbox / Xbox 360 Lounge' started by jujimum, May 8, 2008.

1. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know back in the day here at LG there were a lot of TOCA fans (TMG620 anyone?). I also know there are quite a few Forza fans here so this should be of interest to you/us as well.

The 360 demo is offering a prize of a real car in a fastest lap challenge. I don't know/couldn't find any info if the PS3 has a contest or not.

No Streaming Account
  2. theDrummerJ99

theDrummerJ99 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    I saw that this was on the PSN but what I saw appeared to be a multiplayer only demo. I couldn't seem to find anything on the single player. If it's multiplayer only on 360, then I'll download it for that. Prefer to play online over Live as compared to PSN.

drummerJ99
  3. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account
  4. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's definitely no Forza 2. So if anyone is expecting that they'll be disappointed. I thought this series was more on the lines of the Forza games, but was quickly relieved when I read a magazine article saying it's supposed to me more arcadey.

You can see in the video that you can bump cars and stuff. As some know, bumping in Forza is bad as the damage can really slow you down at the end of the race.

All in all, this game should be a lot of fun. More like a PGR game so it will be fun but not nearly as intense and exciting as Forza2. What I mean is Forza is all about hitting the line to shed micro-seconds off of your time. This game seems to be a bit more forgiving. It seems to be really forgiving with the use of the brake. Forza requires patience and finesse to get through the turns.

Anyway, I'm basing all of this off of the demo since my game hasn't arrived yet. But I think the video above summed it up fairly well saying it's a mix of realism and arcade. That's how I feel about the PGR games. However, this will cure my racing bug for a while :mrgreen:

No Streaming Account
  5. BleedBlueBlood

BleedBlueBlood Baron Von Sauerkraut

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    From the maker's of Dirt (Rally Racing). I got it because Rob talked all about it, got me into it, then he didn't pick it up...plus I never saw anyone on LG playing it. Now it collects dust...lol.

BleedBlueBlood
  6. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, this game will at least HAVE online play :mrgreen: DiRT messed up their online play for the 360 which is why very few bought it/played it. I got the game and did a few races but nothing more. It's a great game, great graphics...but just didn't motivate me to play.

GRID is the old TOCA series that many enjoyed and will have 12 slots for online play. Meaning, you can actually race against humans and talk to all of them. Not just pick one person from the pack like DiRT.

No Streaming Account
  7. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    So is Grid just like Toca? What I loved about Toca was all the different race classes and different style of cars. While I wish it was a bit more sim like (same lines as Forza), I'm sure I'll atleast have to give this game a rent.

EDIT: btw, I know this is the wrong thread and maybe I missed something but just wondering why both Swiper and Juji have Red Wings avy's with #24? Anyway, just noticed it and it made me wonder.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
    drummerJ99
  8. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought GRID, it is a very fun game. By all means it is no forza with the tweaking and stuff but the story mode is pretty deep. The online play is great. You basically just go flying through the track, alot of fun!

No Streaming Account
  9. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Second question, it's for the Team League. The Blues missed the playoffs so I'm rooting for the Red Wings since I like a lot of the members of their LG team. Hate the Red Wings in real life though so this is just an LG thing :razz:

First question, sadly I don't know. I do know there are regular cars and open-wheel cars as well. There are only 45 different cars in the game though so I can't imagine there being a lot of different classes.

No Streaming Account
  10. BleedBlueBlood

BleedBlueBlood Baron Von Sauerkraut

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    Actually, after reading some reviews and watching videos, I'll be picking this up (perhaps tomorrow). People are comparing it to Forzna (but without the "hassles" of tuning your car) or PGR, you just race! Graphics, sound and drive simulation engine are all reported to be superb. I think some gaming sites have given it a 9/10 overall thus far. Also, depending on the amount of damage to your car, it WILL affect the performance of it. So it's not that arcadey. I like the fact of not having to worry about tuning....I just want to drive and let the skill speak for itself. It puts everyone on a more even plane, which equals more fun. You can have 12 cars playing online at once :) . Tonnes of tracks and lots of cars......

Looks like I'll have to dig out the steering wheel and pedals from the closet..lol.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
    BleedBlueBlood
  11. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome Scott, I'll be looking for you on the track..in my little indy car :mrgreen:

No Streaming Account
  12. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, for sure. I was just saying that you can ram into another car and still finish the race. Forza, depending on where you hit, would cause a drastic affect on your aerodynamics.

Maybe the full version is better, but I was T-boning cars and was able to drive away like nothing happened. You T-bone a car in Forza and it's race over. I just think with Forza the racing was better and more intense because you really needed to avoid the other cars. Therefore, you needed to find a line and adjust if there was a pile up in front of you. Seems like with Grid, you can do a little rubbin' and even bumping so I don't think people will be as likely to avoid bumping.

I ordered mine from Gamefly with every intention of buying it. I can even buy it now for $15 off being "used" :wink: I should have it early next week.

No Streaming Account
  13. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    So far very glad I didn't spend $60 on it and I only rented it. Maybe it's because I've only played it for a hour or so but there a few things that I really dislike about it.

1) You can't pick what style of race you want to do. Your business manager gives you 3 teams to race for and you choose one of the 3. I can't find anyway to even tell what kind of race it is, let alone change it.

2) You can only see the controls when back in the garage. You can't pause and view controls, which is fine 90% of the time, except when you go to your first drifting race and it tells you to use handbrake to start the drift, you have no clue what button hand brake is.

3) There is no racing line (like forza) or braking line. So far only thing I can see to tell you to brake is a small blinking like in the lower left corner. Not exactly right in front of your face while your trying to race.If they aren't gonna give you a change to practice the track (to learn it) then they need to make it easy to see where your braking points are. Forza also had the numbered signs on the side of the road.

4) Where is the rear view mirror? How the hell can you have a racing game with no rear view? I'll never understand why games think there isn't any reason to see behind you.

Just a few of my thoughts so far. Graphics look awesome, wrecks are cool looking. Alittle overdone but still look cool.

drummerJ99
  14. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Hey Jeff, does this work with the steering wheel?
    Maybe i can pull out that racing seat that i bought off you lol

15. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to post on this selective boy, :wink:

No Streaming Account
  16. tdrumz

tdrumz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have all the TOCAs and love every last one. I am deffinetly grabiing this game!

No Streaming Account
  17. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    Yep, it works with the wheel. Haven't tried it yet but in the manual it shows the controls for both the controller and the MS racing wheel.

drummerJ99
  18. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is what I wrote at another site and figured I'd just copy/paste. Please don't take this as negative since I do think the game is fun :wink:

I got it from Gamefly yesterday and finally played a bit late last night.

I don't want to sound negative, so I will just say it is FUN. I think I'll really start liking it as soon as I can get it through my head that it's not Forza. Personally, I feel this game is even more arcadey than PGR so that is where I'm struggling.

I think I have three cars right now. The first one (forget what it is), a demo derby, and a drift car. Actually, I think have a fourth but forget what it is.

I got 15 achievements last night.

Drifting is definitely a lot better than the demo thankfully. I've just been using one of the first cars you're offered for drifting and I was able to get over 1,000,000 in the Free Drift mode as well as a 5-second drift. I really like the Free Drift mode even though I have to restart a lot.

The 24-hour LeMans was horrible. I don't know why I couldn't do anything with it, but I was almost a minute and a half behind the pack when I finished. That was without wrecking too. Needless to say, I skipped it the next few times I was offered it.

What is up with "Seasons"? I'm almost certain one of my "seasons" was one race long.

Anyway, my biggest complaint is how "rough" the racing is. It's more like fighting your way to the front than it is racing there, in my opinion. I've basically forgetten all about racing lines and just force my way through the pack. Sometimes I feel like there's no way to pass because the road isn't wide enough for two cars. Because of this, I don't see how fun it could be online unless it's just expected to hit other cars. I use my brake, but it's not like it's a finesse thing. It's just so I don't slam myself into the wall.

Speaking of slams. Why is it I can T-bone a car with little to no damage, but sliding into a tire wall darn near puts me out of commission?

Like I said, it's only my first impression and I think the game is FUN. I just need to adjust to what it is compared to what I thought it'd be. I knew it would be more on the arcade side (not a complaint), I just didn't know how much.

*EDIT*
    I was reading through some of the posts and I think this is one of my complaints about the game. Mind you, I'm not a very good gamer but when it comes to racing games, I can compete fairly well. Even getting top times online with Forza and PGR. My complaint is I don't feel this game does come down to skill. It's a lot of luck/patience/"cheating". By cheating I mean not caring about the other cars. I don't care that you can't tune your cars. To be honest, I don't know how to do that and usually just use the "calculators" other people make. I just don't like that the racing doesn't come down to nailing the racing line and adjusting when your line is taken. In other words, I somewhat set myself up for a turn but it doesn't hurt me if I'm not on my line. With games like Forza, I'd almost have to brake to let cars go by me so I could get the line and pass them on the turn. As I already said, racing games are usually good to me since I somehow have a knack for hitting lines and being consistent/patient. I've been in a couple Forza leagues and I'd literally let the pack go ahead of me and I'd just gradually get to the front by being patient and making the turns. I'm not saying I'm the best and I'm sure there are several people just at this site who would destroy me. I'm just saying I enjoy the racing aspect and this game doesn't seem to have it yet. It's more physical than mental.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
    No Streaming Account
  19. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Juji, as far as the 24 hour race goes, there is 3 classes of cars. You will always finish was behind the first pack as they are like formula one cars lol. This game is alot of fun and is not supposed to be like a forza type game.

No Streaming Account
  20. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, like I said in my post, once I adjust to that fact I should enjoy it even more. I like the game, I just don't think it's racing. I thought it was going to be less than Forza, but more sim than PGR4. From what I've played, I feel that PGR4 is what I expected Grid to be. PGR4 focuses more on hitting your race lines than Grid does.

As for the LeMans, I understand that as well. But for some reason I was 16 out of 16 and felt like I was racing well. But that does lead me to another complaint and that's how the other racers bully me off the track sometimes. It seems like if you just go in the grass once during the LeMans, you're done.

Anyway, I'll have fun with it and it's hard to sound positive when you're talking about the bad things. I really enjoy the secondary objectives. Makes the game much more appealing because of it.

No Streaming Account