How necessary is a steering wheel?

Discussion in 'CBJ Friday Face-Off' started by JLHockeyKnight, Jan 9, 2009.

1. JLHockeyKnight

JLHockeyKnight S6 Providence Bruins GM

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I got NASCAR 09 and like it, just I'm finding it rough to steer with the joystick without bobbing back and forth. Is it a common thing that everyone uses a steering wheel? Should I invest in one, what does everyone seem to use?

Thanks in advance.

No Streaming Account
  2. BioHizzle

BioHizzle Well-Known Member

Discord:
    BioHizzle#4181
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a steering wheel and I love it for that game man. It definitely helps your control of the car and I think that some of the top guys have one, because it makes things a lot less "herky jerky" in my opinion. The biggest thing that people have in the game though is "Set Ups" those are the key, though the steering wheel helps. Just be ready to fork out a good amount of cash for one.

No Streaming Account
  3. rcnjsn9

rcnjsn9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya, I have a steering wheel as well. It's tough to adjust to for about a week or 2, but then after that its night and day in the difference.

The wheel lets you hold a line through an entire turn, as opposed to the joystick where you are looking like a fish pulling down left, letting it go and your car straightening out and then pulling it down again. Getting through the corners smoother is key to getting faster lap times.

I paid $100 for my wheel, and consider it a good investment, even if I only use it for the Nascar series.

No Streaming Account
  4. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6
    It's a necessity for me just because I've been racing with a wheel for 10 years now. Maybe if it was an F1 game or road courses it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but high speed corners and setups that are designed to pull to the left on the straights make it very hard to drive with a controller. The Logitech DriveFX is a great wheel, but it's been discontinued so it would be hard to find locally, but the one wheel i found in my city was marked down to $40 from $100.

cup4bluesNHL
  5. bnc711

bnc711 Coach

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    well--here is my 2 cents... I don't have a wheel and have never tried one. You can be very good without one.. I have been ranked as high as 13th overall and i'm now 18 or 22nd overall. I'm just letting you know that set-ups are the biggest thing in my book.

No Streaming Account