I think my cat is trying to commit suicide

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Xeno72, May 4, 2008.

1. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My old cat, now living at my parents place is 14 years old, fat and quite sick. It has had various injuries recently and we think he may be blind. He is going to the vet on Sunday with a 99% probability he is getting put down. He has to be carried to his food, carries to the washroom and behaves very strangely. He sometimes walks around objects in circles and lays down in very strange and awkward positions. It's clear he is in alot of pain and the best thing for him is to end his suffering.

But here is the weirdest part. Today after a family visit I came to the conclusion I am fairly certain he is trying to end his suffering by himself. He is continually found stuck or wedged in weird positions, or his face is buried in a corner. He doesn't react to being touched either. The strangest was today...after spending 5 minutes searching for him we found him behind a toilet with his throat wedged into a U shaped pipe. I had to lift him upwards and then back to remove him. The pipe was quite firm around his neck. I found it interesting anyway....thought I would share that.

No Streaming Account
  2. slow elk

slow elk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very odd indeed. sorry you have to put your cat down. I just recently had to do the same.

No Streaming Account
  3. bones56

bones56 Retired Commissioner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any chance you can get to the vet before sunday, in case the cat needs to be put down he or she doesnt have to suffer all week!! :(

No Streaming Account
  4. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I meant Wednesday...sorry. We couldn't get anything earlier, :(

No Streaming Account
  5. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a vet by any means, but that seems typical of an animal in great pain (sorry to say). I've had a few dogs that have been sick and/or died of old age and they all did the same. They are in such pain that they are "out of their minds" and just walk without intention. It's one of the hardest things to witness.

I don't know if there is any truth to pets wandering off to die. But if there is, I think it might be instinct to wander and since they're confined to a house, end up in the strangest/tightest of places.

No Streaming Account
  6. DTA Today

DTA Today am j0 buddin on nu jerzy

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2
    I'm sorry to hear that bro. I had to put one of my cats down because of Feline Leukemia. Mine wouldn't try to commit suicide, but it would hide in weird spots all day and wouldn't eat anything. It's a very disheartening thing to watch and it hurts to put them down, but you will find it is better to end the pain and suffering of someone who doesn't deserve it.

No Streaming Account
  7. Mike Cammalleri

Mike Cammalleri Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poor cat i got a cat also but its only 1 year old

No Streaming Account
  8. x x m o s s 81

x x m o s s 81 London Knights Owner/GM

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    srry to hear that had to lose 4 dogs and i am only 16 and i have a cat but she MEAN TO ME but hope u cat gets better

No Streaming Account
  9. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some animals do. I grew up in Spain watching bull fights. Without failure, toward the end of each bull's fight with the animal nearing death, they would always seek the solace/shelter of the arena boards to rest against in their final minutes. This was always followed by a quick mercy killing (via a knife jab to the top of the neck of the prone bull, killing the animal instantly).

Perhaps you could get your kitty some cat nip to get through today and tomorrow?

10. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If that worked I would be shocked! He's not even moving more than a slight head movement every couple of hours at this point.

No Streaming Account
  11. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I work in preclinical research, where we test new molecules and medicines on animals prior to moving testing to humans. PETA/ALF/<insert idealistic hippy group name here> hates us and continually tells us that we are cruel to animals.

As a juxtaposition to that characterization and based on your description of the animal's health, we would have euthanized your cat days ago if not sooner. Your feline is moribund my friend, and any moribund animal deserves to be relieved of their suffering as soon as possible. Same goes for humans, but that is an entirely different discussion (yes I support voluntary self-euthanasia).

I am sure if you called your vet and told him your cat is moribund that he/she would get you in sooner. If not, do your cat a favor and find a vet who will see you guys today. After all this time and companionship, your cat deserves peace and dignity. Not saying anything negative about you, I know this is a tough time. I would personally get kitty over to a vet ASAP.

Can you tell I've watched both pets and family die slowly? :(

My thoughts are with you, hope the suffering ends soon.

Peace.

12. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Pete, I will admit I was never overly close with the cat although I hate to see it suffer. I will give them a call now and see if I can bring him in today.

No Streaming Account
  13. MattMeeko

MattMeeko Well-Known Member

Discord:
    mattmeeko#0
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    my dog had cancer, she cried alot, and couldn't even walk pretty sad

No Streaming Account