Madden impressions

Discussion in 'LG Madden Online Franchise' started by XBoxJon, Aug 9, 2004.

1. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please use this thread to post your Madden 2005 impressions so we can keep it in one big thread.

I'll go first (based on playing a few games tonight, offline only... will try online tomorrow):

The bad:

-graphics look very PS2-esque (completely obvious that they are building it based on the PS2, then porting it over. :evil: EA), sometimes worse than NCAA's. Compared to NFL 2k5, it's not even close on close ups, replays, between play animations, etc. Worst texturing by far is with the Cheerleaders (wait until you see them, whoa.. grab a wheelbarrow for these girls, none of them look to be wearing support.. guess they are trying to appeal to the DOA Beach Volleyball crowd?). Some of the fans in the endzone look pretty sad too, very pixelated. I guess the silver lining is that graphics are usually fluff. Gameplay makes a good game (more on that later). Plus, when actually playing the game (from either the default or classic camera) the game looks just as good as any other football game (since you're zoomed out).

-sound is the same old stuff. I turned Madden and Michaels off right away.

-no composure or HFA feature in the game. I guess this is a NCAA exclusive feature (which I liked). I guess they figure that pro players don't crumble under the pressure of playing on the road or having a few bad plays like an amateur does. That's my only thought why they did it.

The good:

-the speed of the game (after playing NCAA for a couple weeks) really feels like you're playing in the pros now. It's very quick paced, on par with ESPN NFL's speed. No graphical slowdown issues that some had trouble with in NCAA. Run a goalline dive up the middle and the framerate stays smooth the entire time.

-lots of new features, most of which you know about (if you've read even one preview). The defensive playmaker controls are sweet. You can pretty much draw up your own play on the fly with the playmaker option on defense. You can assign a player to blitz/spy/play zone or play man. It's pretty cool. Alot of times if I'm getting beat over the middle and I've called man coverage, I'll take my middle linebackers and switch them to zone on the fly to cover the middle.

-the hit stick is pretty neat. Kinda like the big hit in NCAA but much easier to use. When you hit someone square, look out. I broke the 49'ers kick returner's jaw from a hit with Archuletta coming at him full steam and lined up him. If you miss, the runner will bounce or spin off of you though, but line him up and knock them back or force a fumble. This will take some practice, especially online (the computer doesn't juke that well)

-receivers catch balls very well, almost too well at times. Maybe I'm used to NCAA now where every other ball gets dropped, but now I can hit guys in single coverage and they actually catch it more times than not.

-you can't drop back 15-20yds and heave the ball expecting it to be caught. I tried dropping way back with Bulger and was sacked within a few seconds of veering out of the pocket.

-you can't spread your DE's and speed rush expecting to make it around the tackle. Unlike in NCAA, if you do this the tackle WILL bounce out quickly and stop you quite easily, making a huge hole for a RB or the QB to step up.

-unlike NCAA, you can run in the middle and actually get past defenders who are locked up on blocks. I ripped off a long run with Faulk tonight against the Bucs that was off-tackle. My tackle and guard sealed off the hole and my FB chopped two LB's coming in at an angle and sprung me for a 60yd TD as I passed by 4-5 defenders locked up on blocks. I took a screenshot of the replay, I was so pumped after that one.

-perhaps the coolest feature on the offensive side of the ball are these receiver option plays. Some of the routes have 2-3 options for them, they'll be called "Bruce option" or whatever. Basically, your receiver will run a pattern, and then make a choice on how to finish the route depending on how he's being covered (at least, that's the way I understand it). Also, you can use your right analog stick and move it in the direction you want him to run. They're basically taking maximum passing to the next level. Not only can you lead your receivers now, but you can point them in the direction to run mid-play while you're still controlling the QB.

I haven't messed with franchise mode, online, or anything else really. I just jumped straight into the game after putting the AI on AllPro mode and then played 3 exh. games against the Bucs, Bears and Niners. I went 1-2 against them :shock:

No Streaming Account
  2. PhilipRivers17

PhilipRivers17 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i like that last feature you were talking about. having your receivers break off their routes. Thats awesome.

No Streaming Account
  3. IndigoVDub

IndigoVDub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Madden impressio

Not too sure if I want to know... :-&

No Streaming Account
  4. PhilipRivers17

PhilipRivers17 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

lol i second that one. i wasn't gonna be the first to say that. thanks indigo!

No Streaming Account
  5. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How did you get it? You aren't one of those heroin dealers are you? Maybe that is why you moved down there, closer to Cuba.

Or did you go on a midnight robbery run?

J/K, from your impressions, I really like the game. I really want to create a fan though :)

No Streaming Account
  6. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some lucky Fedex guy got a happy ending!!

:)

No Streaming Account
  7. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's an secret that I have a 2nd XBox with a mod chip in it. ;)

No matter, FedEx tracking shows my purchased copy from GameStop is on the truck for delivery this morning.

No Streaming Account
  8. Linuxx360

Linuxx360 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im calling the xbox police! :p

No Streaming Account
  9. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is playmaker controls in this years version???

No Streaming Account
  10. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, of course... plus they've added additional playmaker controls for the receivers and defenders (guess you skimmed the 1st post? :wink: )

No Streaming Account
  11. All MiT Kev

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya bein at work need the cliff notes version.

No Streaming Account
  12. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cliff Notes version -

-graphics are PS2 quality

-gameplay is typical Madden, but much improved

-lots of new options to completely change your look before the snap, especially on the defensive side of the ball (you can essentially draw up your own play on defense with individual coverage audibles, provided that you are very quick with the controller and know what you're doing).

-no slowdown issues from what I've seen

-no cheese gameplay to be found anywhere (hopefully it can stay that way)

No Streaming Account
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not a chance. :)

The masses will find a way. 100,000 gamers > 20 programmers

14. All MiT Kev

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i hope the play is as smooth online as it sounds off.

No Streaming Account
  15. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How are the EA Trax this year Jon? I do remember last year's, ok, and I have heard who is on this year's game. Was just wondering how it was in the game and if you liked or dis-liked it.

No Streaming Account
  16. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Typical hiphop garbage, with some Hoobastank thrown in. I haven't bothered looking through the music yet, I should probably throw in some of my own music for a soundtrack.

No Streaming Account
  17. striker3771

striker3771 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So are you going to throw in some country music? j/k Madden soundtracks for the most part have been garbage.

No Streaming Account
  18. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So are you saying there are custom soundtrack options?

19. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ohh yeah, even last year's Madden had custom soundtracks, so that would be a "huge" downgrade.

No Streaming Account
  20. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How cool is this... quick paced action, no slow down, recievers can catch, you can change recievers routes while they are freaking running.... Ya'll better watch out for starvin marvin and reggie wayne once I get this bad boy in my hands :p

No Streaming Account