MASS's Player Ratings, After Week 5 (NHL)

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by xMAssStAtiC-, Mar 22, 2019.

1. ClumsyTurtle13

ClumsyTurtle13 xMAssStAtiC-

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    Hello everyone, here is the updated list after week 5. I did not incorporate goalie advanced stats yet because I am looking into what is a team stat and what is a good player stat and how they will all mesh together. Here is the link to the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SYiaz6byYYkgfShiWJTSWnmnHprjcMMTIoOOb6e8n78/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you everyone for the feedback and criticism. I look at all comments and use them to re-evaluate the list ratings and visuals. As always feel free to comment, give feedback, and ask questions and I will get to them as quickly as possible.

*UPDATE 3/22/19, 2:46pm*
    There was a weird bug that allowed a player in the NHL to have an extremely high rating with average stats on a horrible team. I found the issue to be in the strength that the goal support stat effects your offensive rating. This strength will be diluted slightly for next week to fix that issue and prevent any other players from having this happen. For further details read below...

5th in the NHL player ratings for forwards has 10 points in 10 games and was rated 5th on the list surrounded by players beating him in most stat categories. What happened is this player has a goal support of 1.7 goals per game meaning in those 10 games he scored 10 of the 17 points by his team. To sum up, the formula took this information as he has a giant backpack and scores 59% of the points. So if he was on a better team scoring 59% of the points, he would be a dominating player.

In my exact formula your goal % is divided by your goal support to determine the likely-hood you would score the one point in a 1-0 game. My potential fix is to water down the goal support number before dividing. This can be done multiple ways but I will most likely add a logarithm that as you approach a goal support farther than the max goal support by any player a small increasing factor will be added to the goal support so that when used to divide, does not amplify the player's offensive ratings as much.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    Xmassstatic
  2. Born2skate_

Born2skate_ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 3 / -6
    Thanks for reminding me how good I really am. Flyers season leggo!!!

• Like Like x 1
    turmoilzzz
  3. ClumsyTurtle13

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    No offense to number 5 on the forwards list but he should not be rated that high with his current stats. I am looking into it and adjusting it. The ratings may change within the next two hours.

*Update*
    I discovered the issue. He is the only one who scores when his line plays. He has 10 of the 17 points scored while he was playing and his team averages 1.7 goals a game. Looking for a way to adjust this without drastically effecting everyone.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    Xmassstatic
  4. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    Factoring in on 59% of his team's goals in the games he played puts him at 206th in the league. I don't know what the solution to fixing your issue is but as a fwd only being in on 60% of goals scored usually means someone else is doing the heavy lifting.

upload_2019-3-22_17-58-54.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    JClaus33
  5. ClumsyTurtle13

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    Yeah. I kinda noticed that as well. Thanks for the info! The issue is still the goal support stat which I'm going to work on improving for next week. It is the division value so its causing too drastic of scaling on players with lower goal support. Thank you though for taking the time to look into it!!

Xmassstatic
  6. ClumsyTurtle13

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    1. Hello everyone, for those who care, I apologize on not getting last weeks stats in and posted yet. I spent alot of time fixing and re-evaluating the bug found last week with goal support being too impactful. I believe I have found a solution and fix. I will do my best to get last weeks rankings posted before the games start tonight.

• Like Like x 1
    Xmassstatic